HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 23. 11/29/2011. St. Louis Blues at Washington Capitals. 7pm

Old
11-29-2011, 10:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I might get skewered for this, but am I the only one who thinks this game would have looked like this even if BB were still here? Maybe he gets more aggressive at the end and they give up another goal while trying to tie it, but to me this game was Hitch's through and through.

And that's not an indictment of Hunter. It'll take time to figure things out.
Considering the current form of this team, you're probably right--unless tonight turned out to be the breakout game with Bruce.

They're certainly in a funk. Here's hoping the forthcoming system/practice/philosophy changes push them out of it.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
boudreau is gone. schultz was scratched. semin didnt take a penalty.
And Ovi played defense.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:50 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Really wouldn't want to see too many more games like this - it was, for the most part, dull and lifeless.
ken hitchcock was coaching the other team. the game was going to be dull and lifeless. the only question was who would win it. a decent trap controls the tempo and there is no fighting it. its like quick sand. the more you struggle against it the faster you sink.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:52 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
I might get skewered for this, but am I the only one who thinks this game would have looked like this even if BB were still here? Maybe he gets more aggressive at the end and they give up another goal while trying to tie it, but to me this game was Hitch's through and through.

And that's not an indictment of Hunter. It'll take time to figure things out.
Hitch has had a while with his team. I think with BB, based solely on the last 2 weeks, they'd have fallen apart after the first or second goal against and it would have been pandemonium ending in a 6-1 rout. The fact they they kept their cool in a close game and never let it get out of hand is some measure of progress. Were they great? Hell no. Do they still need serious help clearing their zone? Hell yes. Nevertheless, IMO this was better than a BB-coached game - at least a recent one.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:53 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Interesting, from twitter:

Dale Hunter's coaching staff about to add some depth. Hearing another former #Caps player coming in 2 work with young D. Early as this week

Edit: further speculation suggests it's CallJo.

Me=happy

Old
11-29-2011, 10:55 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Hitch has had a while with his team. I think with BB, based solely on the last 2 weeks, they'd have fallen apart after the first or second goal against and it would have been pandemonium ending in a 6-1 rout. The fact they they kept their cool in a close game and never let it get out of hand is some measure of progress. Were they great? Hell no? Do they still need serious help clearing their zone? Hell yes. Nevertheless, IMO this was better than a BB-coached game - at least a recent one.
I guess my skepticism is whether they ever fall apart against Hitch's style. They get mired in it, get dominated in their way, but it's not a system where I expect the wheels to come off. To me it's a one-goal game that they maybe never come back in, but they never go down by 3.

I don't know, maybe the Blues have more explosiveness in them.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Langway
Intangibles

So...does that mean Woods is out?

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:57 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
I guess my skepticism is whether they ever fall apart against Hitch's style. They get mired in it, get dominated in their way, but it's not a system where I expect the wheels to come off. To me it's a one-goal game that they maybe never come back in, but they never go down by 3.

I don't know, maybe the Blues have more explosiveness in them.
They are, I think, the best 5 on 5 team in the league right now. But I see your point... and I counter with, they gave up 5 to an AHL roster in Buffalo, so... In any case, they didn't look lost and panicked. They didn't look good, but they weren't a total mess.

Old
HSHS
Losing is a disease

That Eakin semin and mojo line Will not last long. Agreed that Eakin is likely drop,

And I agree that this game had a lot of structural bad as they had since green went down. Which maybe, just maybe, goes to show you it was the coach. Not effort.

StL was by far the best structured team we've seen. All year.

Tons of work ahead

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dirtbag59

Quote:

Dale Hunter's coaching staff about to add some depth. Hearing another former #Caps player coming in 2 work with young D. Early as this week

Me=happy
FIRE CALLJO #OverreactionCentral

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:58 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I am assuming CalleJo is a consultant. But maybe in the offseason.

EDIT: maybe I spoke to soon Twitter says "assistant coach". No word yet on Woods.

Old
11-29-2011, 10:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Little too much credit to the Blues in the thread....man our expectations of our own players must be at an alltime low right now.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:00 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ken hitchcock was coaching the other team. the game was going to be dull and lifeless. the only question was who would win it. a decent trap controls the tempo and there is no fighting it. its like quick sand. the more you struggle against it the faster you sink.
Did you notice the Blues aggressively forechecking, frequently with two players, whenever the Caps had the puck in their own zone? And you don't have to trap when you always have the puck. Not going to try to convince you that you should enjoy watching the Blues or find them exciting, but the idea that the Capitals got trapped to death tonight is absurd. The Caps were actually the team playing with a much softer forecheck because they couldn't beat St. Louis's puck-controlling defense.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:04 PM
pgreene

Quote:
PG, honestly, I don't see where you can think that folks who've doubted the coach for 2 years are going to be dissuaded by 1 game. Nothing in this game suggested that it's all the players and the coach was without culpability. To me this game says they've got years of bad habits to work out.

Can they? Will they? That remains TBD, but there's nothing in this game that would make me (not a BB hater, but wanted him gone) or a hater think he was innocent and got screwed.

For the record, and I don't mean to pick on you but have wanted to ask someone from the "it's the players' fault" camp, do you credit them alone for their great play in 08-09? or was BB a factor? if he was, how come he's not a factor in their more recent failures? or conversely, how come they deserve only partial credit but 100% of the blame? I'm not trying to pick a fight here. Just want to understand the argument.
i don't think they'll be dissuaded if the caps get swept from here until the end of the season. but i guarantee you if the caps had won 5-0 they would've been out in force crowing about ding, dong the bruce is dead...

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Carlzner

Oops, didn't see somebody had posted the possible Calle news in here.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:07 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Did you notice the Blues aggressively forechecking, frequently with two players, whenever the Caps had the puck in their own zone? And you don't have to trap when you always have the puck. Not going to try to convince you that you should enjoy watching the Blues or find them exciting, but the idea that the Capitals got trapped to death tonight is absurd. The Caps were actually the team playing with a much softer forecheck because they couldn't beat St. Louis's puck-controlling defense.
This man posted true things in our GDT.

Meh. That MoJo, (A)ken, Semin line is toothless and needs to be disbanded. Hooray for Dima Orlov. That is all.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
i don't think they'll be dissuaded if the caps get swept from here until the end of the season. but i guarantee you if the caps had won 5-0 they would've been out in force crowing about ding, dong the bruce is dead...

ok, that's funny. if they'd have won 5-0 it would have been pure adrenaline and proved nothing. As it was, they played timid and it proves nothing. What I see is a team crawling out of some serious self-doubt and the veridict is a long way off on BB, DH and the guys on the ice.

Side note: if they get swept from here to the end of the season, I'll buy you a case of bourbon.

Old
Capitlols

Clean house with the assistants, need a clean slate.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:08 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I hope so. And seriously good riddance.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:10 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Clean house with the assistants, need a clean slate.
I think so too. I understand the "where are the sticky notes" business, but really, this team's old habits need to leave with the guys who brung 'em.

Old
11-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Capitlols

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
I know some in WSH media are reporting Calle Johansson as new asst coach. I am hearing it is Jim Johnson, not Calle. Stay tuned.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:11 PM
pgreene

Quote:

ok, that's funny. if they'd have won 5-0 it would have been pure adrenaline and proved nothing. As it was, they played timid and it proves nothing. What I see is a team crawling out of some serious self-doubt and the veridict is a long way off on BB, DH and the guys on the ice.

Side note: if they get swept from here to the end of the season, I'll buy you a case of bourbon.
i'll take you up on that. i'll even share. i suspect we'd all need it.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:19 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:

Me=happy
If true, whoa, make that, double whoa!

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Hale Dunter

I was a little disappointed at the tepid reception for Hunter. I'll just assume that most in the building are <30 or newcomers or fair weather fans.

DH is my favorite player ever (no surprise ) and he is Capitals royalty. I thought he deserved better, just for being Dale Hunter, a guy with is number hanging in the rafters.

Beyond that VC was an absolute mausoleum for most of that game, is that the norm lately? I haven't made a lot of games this year.

edit..tepid may be overstating it, but it was 'restrained' anyway, polite but not a lot of enthuiasm.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:26 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
This man posted true things in our GDT.

Meh. That MoJo, (A)ken, Semin line is toothless and needs to be disbanded. Hooray for Dima Orlov. That is all.
True x all 3 points. Good to see outsider provide actual insight.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote