HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Neal fined $2,500 for high-stick on P.K.

Old
11-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
So Neal makes 2 875 000$ and he's fined 2 500$ that's like someone making 50 000$ fined 43$. A parking ticket.

You want to send a message? make it 25 000$ for the player and 25 000$ for the team. Send the money to charity. What a joke.
The bigger joke is that he got fined to begin with.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:37 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Well... okay then.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:38 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
The bigger joke is that he got fined to begin with.
Who cares really if he should or not... yes he felt but you're responsible for you stick. This ridiculous fine system in a world of millionaires does not serve any purpose at all.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Stradale

I agree that giving him a fine for that is just stupid. Like really?

I've seen way more dangerous and reckless hit that didn't lead further disciplinary action.

I also agree that the amount of the fine is just simply ridiculous. What will Neal learn from that. Absolutely nothing. Same goes for Doughty hitting Oshie from behind last week. A crosscheck that sends a player on the board headfirst is one of the most dangerous hit in hockey, it can cause major injury that could potentially end someone's career but since Oshie was not seriously injured. A big 2500$ fine for Doughty.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Who cares really if he should or not... yes he felt but you're responsible for you stick. This ridiculous fine system in a world of millionaires does not serve any purpose at all.
Yes because when you fall, the first reaction is the direction of where your stick is. I've never played pro hockey, but if I'm able to fall, two things I'm thinking about, my landing and where the puck is.

This is a stupid fine.. It was pure accidental. Anyway, 2500 is pocket change, so I could care less.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Protest the Hero

"Montreal fans seem kinda pissed, I know how to make it better" - Brendan Shanahan.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

I love how people think that any sort of contact at the feet is a slew foot. It's not a slew foot unless the tripper positions their foot in a way that when the tripper pulls the trippee's weight over said foot, they fall almost straight backwards. It's a very specific (and dangerous) move and is different than just clacking skates or even 'kicking', as some posters are alluding to here.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:05 PM
sheed36

Yeah.. Good one Shanny..

If Neal is married his wife will have to do without new shoes this week.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Neal didn't deserve this fine. Stupid decision.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:17 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Neal didn't deserve this fine. Stupid decision.
Actually I just watched a GIF of this play in the thread on the mainboard and I think it's a good call by the NHL.. PK did give a little slewfoot to Neal but as Neal was falling it looks like he deliberately swung his stick toward PK.. That's the way I saw it from that GIF anyway..

Old
11-29-2011, 12:18 PM
MathMan

This almost seems designed for the sole purpose of letting the main HFBoards say "See? Infactions against the Habs do get penalized!"

More seriously, 2500$ is the maximum fine allowed by the CBA, so you see a lot of 2500$ fines. Did this warrant a fine? It does seem Neal's reaction to the action (spin and swing stick high) is excessive, and he's responsible for his stick at all times.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:23 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
This almost seems designed for the sole purpose of letting the main HFBoards say "See? Infactions against the Habs do get penalized!"

More seriously, 2500$ is the maximum fine allowed by the CBA, so you see a lot of 2500$ fines. Did this warrant a fine? It does seem Neal's reaction to the action (spin and swing stick high) is excessive, and he's responsible for his stick at all times.
I agree.. After watching the GIF posted on the mainboard I changed my mind about this and feel that Neal did indeed deserve the $2500 fine he received.. His actions looked deliberate to me..

Old
11-29-2011, 12:26 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Man some of you are rediculus...
To Pens fans: Its a slew foot, absolutely, but Subban is not, and will not be the last dirty defencemen to play in the NHL. What Neil did is unacceptable. You cannot swing your stick at someone's head and expect it to fly with that week cover up.. "oh noooo I'm falling..." *smash*

To Habs fans:
Get over it, Pathes deserved something. Maybe not three games, but something. It was a blindside hit, period.

To Shanny: Consistency, please!

That is all

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NotProkofievian

I don't think PK slew-footed Neal. I think he's playing for the puck. It doesn't even seem as if PK's "kick" initiates the motion of Neal's foot. PK's foot is even travelling orthogonally to the direction of Neal's foot, too.

I'm trying to see this as objectively as possible: but the physics just don't add up. If PK really wanted to slew-foot Neal, it would have been 10 times better to kick in the direction that Neal's toe is pointing...not in the direction of the puck.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The fine is stupid. Would not have given him anything. And for everybody whining about the slewfoot, if they have to make a rule for avoiding to be killed with a check in the head, I'm waiting for the rule to avoid slewfoots. Within the game, it should be 2 minutes for tripping. But how a tripping penalty gets so much attractions is beyond me....unless it's because a certain PK with the wrong jersey does it....Hey, it also seems that Plekanec slashes after the whistles are amongst the worst in history.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The fine is stupid. Would not have given him anything. And for everybody whining about the slewfoot, if they have to make a rule for avoiding to be killed with a check in the head, I'm waiting for the rule to avoid slewfoots. Within the game, it should be 2 minutes for tripping. But how a tripping penalty gets so much attractions is beyond me....unless it's because a certain PK with the wrong jersey does it....Hey, it also seems that Plekanec slashes after the whistles are amongst the worst in history.
I thought so to at first but after seeing how Neal swung his stick towards PK I now think the fine was justified in this case..

Old
11-29-2011, 12:51 PM
MarkovsKnee

That was no slew foot. Seriously, a slew foot is when a player comes up behind another player and kicks his feet out from under him causing him to fall backwards.

Subban was in a board battle with Neal, and tried to kick the puck along the boards. A play every defenseman in the NHL makes. Neal dove. WTF is that spinorama? He swung his stick dangerously. I remember the play from the game & I thought the 2 minute penalty was fine. But whatever.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
neofury*

It's dumb that he got fined but even dumber that Pens fans blame Subban.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
That was no slew foot. Seriously, a slew foot is when a player comes up behind another player and kicks his feet out from under him causing him to fall backwards.

Subban was in a board battle with Neal, and tried to kick the puck along the boards. A play every defenseman in the NHL makes. Neal dove. WTF is that spinorama? He swung his stick dangerously. I remember the play from the game & I thought the 2 minute penalty was fine. But whatever.
Holy **** you are right !!!!! I didn't even see it. Thanks.

He was kicking for the puck. But i haven't been to the main board and don't plan on it, but i'm sure that no one over there will see it this way.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Krnage

Subban should have been suspended 3 games for his slew foot

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:08 PM
neofury*

This would be akin to fining a big time chemical company like 100k for something environmental

$2,500? Sorry but even for a player making league minimum that's like what around 3%? It's like a normal person getting a traffic ticket.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Holy **** you are right !!!!! I didn't even see it. Thanks.

He was kicking for the puck. But i haven't been to the main board and don't plan on it, but i'm sure that no one over there will see it this way.
the way I saw it was Eller's stick come in and tap the inside part of Neal's skate.

But meh...a fine? dunno, maybe if only to create a "history" of dicipline in case he does something stupid with his stick again.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Habsland35

lol the main board is hilarious....i thought HF boards was supposed to be a well educated hockey crowd...apparently definitions of penalties change depending on whos involved in the incident

i agree with one of the posters above....he clearly went in to kick the puck out and as his foot came up it made contact causing neal to fall...

Habsland35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

PK did trip/slewfoot him. Watch his heel on the way down AFTER the upward motion.

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Padrino86

look like the emergency assist fund is in dire need of money.

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote