HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game #24: St. Louis Blues at Washington Capitals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2011, 06:37 PM
  #51
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 50
To Halak's credit on the goal, it was kind of a weird play. The pass by Ovy went by the first player and the second player was behind him scored. Hard to describe.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:37 PM
  #52
BigB
We Want Big Macs!
 
BigB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Oshie has been playing great hockey lately...He may break 20 goals and 60 points this year.
I don't see him staying healthy enough. His gangly movement on his legs is going to land him more problems with his previous leg injury. I hope I am wrong in this!

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:42 PM
  #53
bluesman11
Robert Johnson
 
bluesman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 749
vCash: 1111
Listening to the game, and they just interviewed Oshie at the intermission and he actually sounded more mature.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:43 PM
  #54
fcpremix88
Registered User
 
fcpremix88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
We can't have a starter allow soft goals like that. Halak has a habit of doing that and until Elliot proves otherwise, he is the starter imo. It always seems other teams get lucky picking up some goalie and then they magically become good, well why can't that be Elliot for us.
Our Selke candidate Backes needs to play his man instead of watching Ovechkin.

Otherwise, the Capitals are just flat.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:44 PM
  #55
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs
 
wilco5886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Champbana
Country: United States
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
I don't see him staying healthy enough. His gangly movement on his legs is going to land him more problems with his previous leg injury. I hope I am wrong in this!
I may be wrong, but I don't often hear about recurring problems with broken ankles (or any broken bones) so long as they are allowed to heal properly.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:45 PM
  #56
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,797
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
Our Selke candidate Backes needs to play his man instead of watching Ovechkin.
True, Shattenkirk shouldn't of been flat footed, but Halak needs to make that save. He has played well since, but he really needs to stop letting in the softies, especially when our offense isn't clicking on all cylinders.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:47 PM
  #57
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
True, Shattenkirk shouldn't of been flat footed, but Halak needs to make that save. He has played well since, but he really needs to stop letting in the softies, especially when our offense isn't clicking on all cylinders.
Elliot just looks calmer, more focused and more confident than Halak, in addition to his clear size advantage. Elliott has something to prove and I see him as #1.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:50 PM
  #58
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs
 
wilco5886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Champbana
Country: United States
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
Looks like they got rid of the "Don't Stop Believin'" promotion. Thank God.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:51 PM
  #59
BigB
We Want Big Macs!
 
BigB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 50
I am wanting desperately to named Elliott our #1, but I don't see him maintaining this legend-like ability. He has a back tendancy of slumping as well. I need more time to see how he lasts through the changes and adaptability.

Of course, I don't want to admit Halak as #1 either. I feel we have 2 great backup goalies at this current point.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:52 PM
  #60
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
We can't have a starter allow soft goals like that. Halak has a habit of doing that and until Elliot proves otherwise, he is the starter imo. It always seems other teams get lucky picking up some goalie and then they magically become good, well why can't that be Elliot for us.
I'm guessing you didn't see a lot of Elliott before he came to the Blues. Weak goals are certainly no stranger to him. In fact, they're no stranger to any goalie in the league.

If Halak lets in a bad goal and then implodes, then that's a really bad sign. If he lets in a bad one and responds, then that's a good sign. Lets see what happens for the rest of the game, eh?

Beyond this game, Halak's played some great hockey recently, and he's certainly done far more in his career (and in the playoffs) than Elliott ever has. Elliott's playing some truly excellent hockey, and I'm sure he'll see quite a few starts as long as he continues doing so, but he has every bit as much to prove as Halak does...if not more. Especially considering what he's currently doing is completely unsustainable.

I don't expect either one to be "given" the starting role by Hitchcock, for what it's worth. He'll continue to milk the competition and hope it keeps both goaltenders focused and performing well. One weak goal (by either goalie) isn't going to change that.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:55 PM
  #61
The Note
Expectations: Low
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: STL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
I don't care who stops the puck, as long as one of them are consistently it's whatever. But how about that SOB line. Everyone thought it'd be Stewart-Oshie-Berglund, but Steen-Oshie-Backes is stealing the show

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:55 PM
  #62
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
Looks like they got rid of the "Don't Stop Believin'" promotion. Thank God.
Now lets work on getting rid of the god awful Vinson Mortgage commercils...

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:55 PM
  #63
bluesman11
Robert Johnson
 
bluesman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 749
vCash: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
I am wanting desperately to named Elliott our #1, but I don't see him maintaining this legend-like ability. He has a back tendancy of slumping as well. I need more time to see how he lasts through the changes and adaptability.

Of course, I don't want to admit Halak as #1 either. I feel we have 2 great backup goalies at this current point.
I would agree and even if Elliot would take total control, I would have them both believing they have a shot at being the #1 tender all year right through the playoffs.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:56 PM
  #64
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Yeah, well while all that is true, when I watch the Blues Elliott is just so relaxed. Its unbelievable.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:57 PM
  #65
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,797
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I'm guessing you didn't see a lot of Elliott before he came to the Blues. Weak goals are certainly no stranger to him. In fact, they're no stranger to any goalie in the league.

If Halak lets in a bad goal and then implodes, then that's a really bad sign. If he lets in a bad one and responds, then that's a good sign. Lets see what happens for the rest of the game, eh?

Beyond this game, Halak's played some great hockey recently, and he's certainly done far more in his career (and in the playoffs) than Elliott ever has. Elliott's playing some truly excellent hockey, and I'm sure he'll see quite a few starts as long as he continues doing so, but he has every bit as much to prove as Halak does...if not more. Especially considering what he's currently doing is completely unsustainable.

I don't expect either one to be "given" the starting role by Hitchcock, for what it's worth. He'll continue to milk the competition and hope it keeps both goaltenders focused and performing well. One weak goal (by either goalie) isn't going to change that.
I'm not going to hole the past against Elliott, at least until he proves otherwise. He played for 2 horrible teams in Ottawa and Colorado. Being in Hitchcock's system and playing behind our defense maybe Elliott's perfect situation. I don't care what either one did in the past, all I care about is how they are playing right now. If Elliott starts playing bad 20 games from now, then he shouldn't be the starter anymore, nothing is set in stone, but Elliott should be getting the majority of the starts right now.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:58 PM
  #66
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs
 
wilco5886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Champbana
Country: United States
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Now lets work on getting rid of the god awful Vinson Mortgage commercils...
I can't decide if they are genius (they are trying to make them that bad as a joke or hyperbole) or just plain horrible.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:58 PM
  #67
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,514
vCash: 500
Come on baby let's go blues!

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
  #68
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,797
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
I don't care who stops the puck, as long as one of them are consistently it's whatever. But how about that SOB line. Everyone thought it'd be Stewart-Oshie-Berglund, but Steen-Oshie-Backes is stealing the show
Oh god, they are going to make thinks so confusing.

SOB line
PBS line

One will hurt you and one is family friendly

When McDonald comes back we could have the MAD line

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
  #69
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
I can't decide if they are genius (they are trying to make them that bad as a joke or hyperbole) or just plain horrible.
My Vote goes to just horrible. They are almost as bad as the Schweig Engel(sp?) commercials from years past.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:03 PM
  #70
BergMan
#BackesForSelke
 
BergMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Caribbean
Posts: 660
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Now lets work on getting rid of the god awful Vinson Mortgage commercils...
Usually I don't care about commercials but they are worse than the dirt cheap ones IMO.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:03 PM
  #71
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.
 
superblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 50
5 on 3, LGB!

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
  #72
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
well if we can't score on this, we should probably...blow it up?

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:05 PM
  #73
TerminatorBlue
Registered User
 
TerminatorBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,811
vCash: 500
the the Ref show begin.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
  #74
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,142
vCash: 500
What no face spearing majors?

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
  #75
BigB
We Want Big Macs!
 
BigB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 50
Please get rid of Pang.... I just... can't handle his comments.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.