HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #24: St. Louis Blues at Washington Capitals

Old
11-30-2011, 04:36 AM
thebluenote

vCash: 500
Just watched this game on PVR. A few comments:

- Halak played OK. Nothing really hard to save, and the goal was really weak. I think his stats are a bit inflated with the rock solid D in front of him.
- Oshie. This kid is playing for the big contract next year. I'd say at this point in the season he's shown the most heart out of anyone on our team. Blocking two shots, going hard to the net, getting a goal, not afraid to hit, jump-hand-throwing the puck out of the zone at the end. Just, wow.
- Russel has been playing terribly in his own zone lately, I think once Cola is healthy, he might be taking a sit, cause it's been noticeable how many times he's given up the puck.
- Nice win, I'm starting to get giddy like a kid at Christmas for Perron to come back.

Last edited by 2 Minute Minor: 11-30-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: sexually explicit
thebluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:49 AM
Cochise22

Great game for the Blues. I was worried after the weak goal given up by Halak, but they rebounded nicely for another big W.

Also, can anyone figure out how to resize this so as to fit for an avatar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pie Time.jpg‎ (39.3 KB, 6 views)

Cochise22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Ahhh come on guys, you are all taking the magic away from the true Pie time

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:31 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluenote View Post
- Russel has been playing terribly in his own zone lately, I think once Cola is healthy, he might be taking a sit, cause it's been noticeable how many times he's given up the puck.
I'd like some examples, because he has had a couple rough games so far, but this was definitely not one of them. Dude was good all around tonight, especially for a bottom-pairing guy turning in top-pairing minutes against skill like that. It seems like people just make up their minds about a player and see what they want to see no matter what.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:10 AM
execwrite

One of the plays that stood out -

Four minutes left, Steen races down the ice and beats a Cap to the puck to wave off an icing.

The Blues then keep the puck in the Washington zone for the next two minutes. Great play by Steen - again.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:21 AM
BluesBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I'd like some examples, because he has had a couple rough games so far, but this was definitely not one of them. Dude was good all around tonight, especially for a bottom-pairing guy turning in top-pairing minutes against skill like that. It seems like people just make up their minds about a player and see what they want to see no matter what.
I don't know, but IMO Russell had a good game, He is playing better and better more He plays...

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I tend to not like Russell too much, but I agree. Russell was very solid last night. He was making safe decisions with the puck and in deciding when to jump into plays (areas where he sometimes makes terrible decisions). However, his best play defensively might have been last night. He played a simple and hard working D game, which is really what he needs to continue doing.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:15 AM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I tend to not like Russell too much, but I agree. Russell was very solid last night. He was making safe decisions with the puck and in deciding when to jump into plays (areas where he sometimes makes terrible decisions). However, his best play defensively might have been last night. He played a simple and hard working D game, which is really what he needs to continue doing.
I agree, this was one of the better games I've seen from Russell.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
idk i dont really see russell making bad decisions with the puck. he definitely boosts our defense with speed and depth. ive been really glad we picked him up. our overall defense is top 5 in the league.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Russel is playing well enough...and is playing better than Nikitin was prior to the trade. My biggest beef is that he's not as good at holding the puck in as Pietro and Shattenkirk. On the other hand, not many are.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:59 AM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

vCash: 50
I am good with Russell as well. He seems to fit in pretty well and working decently with his partners. I am so far impressed considering we only moved Nikitin for him. Nikitin was no meeting my expectations at all and in fact seemed more like a liability for us. Also with Russell knowing Hitch, it has to help in the formation and spreading Hitch system to the others.

Overall, I like the kid. He has not pulled any major dumb moves and repeated upon them to warrant me to dislike him. As far as Jackman, I got a bad taste in my mouth for him. Stats wise or not, I do not find him incredible. His errors are not improving and personal as well as professional growth is stagnant.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
I am good with Russell as well. He seems to fit in pretty well and working decently with his partners. I am so far impressed considering we only moved Nikitin for him. Nikitin was no meeting my expectations at all and in fact seemed more like a liability for us. Also with Russell knowing Hitch, it has to help in the formation and spreading Hitch system to the others.

Overall, I like the kid. He has not pulled any major dumb moves and repeated upon them to warrant me to dislike him. As far as Jackman, I got a bad taste in my mouth for him. Stats wise or not, I do not find him incredible. His errors are not improving and personal as well as professional growth is stagnant.
yeah, jackman turns the puck over too much. i usually end up getting nervous when jackman skates around the net in attempt to carry the puck out of the zone. russell is pretty good offensively, is fast, and can help either shattenkirk or pietrangelo quarterback the powerplay.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:25 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I don't get why Russell is going so much hate. He is a very solid bottom pairing defenseman. He has 4 points and is a +6, to go with 13 hits and 12 blocked shots. He has been a minus is just one game, against Detroit. I wouldn't say he is anything special, but he has been very solid.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:52 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post

I really think the thing holding nikitin back was his English. The guy had some talent.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:02 AM
TylerD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluenote View Post
Just watched this game on PVR. A few comments:

- Halak played OK. Nothing really hard to save, and the goal was really weak. I think his stats are a bit inflated with the rock solid D in front of him.
- Oshie. This kid is playing for the big contract next year. I'd say at this point in the season he's shown the most heart out of anyone on our team. Blocking two shots, going hard to the net, getting a goal, not afraid to hit, jump-hand-throwing the puck out of the zone at the end. Just, wow.
- Nice win, I'm starting to get giddy like a kid at Christmas for Perron to come back.

I didnt get to see the game, but one thing I will say is Halak seems to be the typeo f goalie where he shines when there is alot of shots on him.... Exact same thing with Craig Anderson for Ottawa... When a team gets 20 shots and under on Halak his focus just seems gone for the most part and he lets in softies.... When the defense craps the bed is when Halak seems to step up. But then again, Halak hasnt had much playing time lately so it might be different. All I can say is Elliot is playing some solid hockey and knowing Halak is backing him up makes me feel safe

TylerD1 is offline   Reply With Quote