HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Trade Proposal Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 11:10 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
This reads like HFBoards. I doubt anything I read in the Sun.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
So, purely based on cap hit and NHL or near ready prospects in the pipe, Stafford has to the guy who is most likely gone.

We have Armia and Kassian who both could be NHL ready next year with:

Pomniville, Stafford, and McCormick under contract and Kaleta as a RFA.

58,591,190 is our cap hit already ear marked for next year. Moving Stafford really makes alot of sense.
I've said in past threads about next season's cap that I think Leopold may also be on the block, as well. Assuming they went with a top-4 of Regehr-Myers and Ehrhoff-Sekera, $3m is a lot of scratch for a third-pairing defenseman, especially when there are cheaper viable options for the third-pairing (McNabb, Weber, someone in UFA). This is coming from someone who likes Leo.

I can't see Regier trading Stafford this season unless he's the primary piece in bringing back someone like Stastny. Armia isn't close to being NHL-ready, and while Kassian is currently a flavor of the month, he's still a rookie--I'd ask people to remember how much they loved Stafford as a rookie, too. I'd be very surprised to see Stafford moved prior to next summer, and even then I'd be a little surprised.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

At the deadline, Jay McClement ($1.45 million, pending UFA) from Colorado for a pick? He gives the Sabres another body down the middle, and I've always liked his game. In the offseason, he's probably a cheaper option than re-signing Gaustad and/or Hecht, too.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:24 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I've said in past threads about next season's cap that I think Leopold may also be on the block, as well. Assuming they went with a top-4 of Regehr-Myers and Ehrhoff-Sekera, $3m is a lot of scratch for a third-pairing defenseman, especially when there are cheaper viable options for the third-pairing (McNabb, Weber, someone in UFA). This is coming from someone who likes Leo.

I can't see Regier trading Stafford this season unless he's the primary piece in bringing back someone like Stastny. Armia isn't close to being NHL-ready, and while Kassian is currently a flavor of the month, he's still a rookie--I'd ask people to remember how much they loved Stafford as a rookie, too. I'd be very surprised to see Stafford moved prior to next summer, and even then I'd be a little surprised.
I think Leo might stick around for a little longer than he would normally because of Regehr.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:25 AM
HiddenInLight

I don't know much about McClemont...don't see him play enough, but I wouldn't be against a pick for a center depending on the pick.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
At the deadline, Jay McClement ($1.45 million, pending UFA) from Colorado for a pick? He gives the Sabres another body down the middle, and I've always liked his game. In the offseason, he's probably a cheaper option than re-signing Gaustad and/or Hecht, too.
He's a lesser Nielsen. Based on both ability and salary, I want Nielsen. But if we missed out on Frans, I'd be more open to McClement. He won't give you much in the way of points, but he's above-average defensively.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Digable5

Just a thought. Maybe I should have put more thought into it? And I'm in no way saying Miller is the problem or HAS to go.

Buffalo trades:

G Miller, 31 ($6.25)
R Stafford, 26 ($4M)
R Boyes, 29 ($4M)
Total Cap: $14.25M

Calgary trades:

G Kiprusoff, 35 ($5.83M)
R Iginla, 34 ($7M)
D Sarich, 33 ($3.9M) - waived/buried in minors
Total Cap: $12.83M

My reasoning: First off, its cap friendly for both. Calagry adds $14.25M in cap and sheds $16.73M to save $2M+. Buffalo sheds $14.25M but only adds $12.83M in cap space (because we'll waive Sarich) for a savings of $1.42M.

Calgary currently isn't making the playoffs with either player. Making this trade makes them younger at both positions with solid NHL contributors. They save money now and Boyes contract will end at the end of the season.

Boyes had been playing well, but he would need to go to make the cap space and his contract expires at the end of the season. This would also make room for Kassian to stay up permanently. Buffalo adds a cup hungry vet with the consistent offense and physicality that was missing from Stafford. Kiprusoff is just as good as Miller and in his "old age" poses less of a threat to Enroth's Sabres future.

I can reason for each team asking for pick to even things out but it doesn't hold me up from making this trade. I say the pick comes our way for burying Sarich (who by the way will only cost Pegula about half of his salary at this point in the season).

EDIT: This obvious doesn't solve our C need, but it makes us better without giving up prospects and saves us cap space on top of that.

Last edited by Digable5: 12-19-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added part about acquiring C
Old
12-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Just a thought. Maybe I should have put more thought into it? And I'm in no way saying Miller is the problem or HAS to go.

Buffalo trades:

G Miller, 31 ($6.25)
R Stafford, 26 ($4M)
R Boyes, 29 ($4M)
Total Cap: $14.25M

Calgary trades:

G Kiprusoff, 35 ($5.83M)
R Iginla, 34 ($7M)
D Sarich, 33 ($3.9M) - waived/buried in minors
Total Cap: $12.83M

My reasoning: First off, its cap friendly for both. Calagry adds $14.25M in cap and sheds $16.73M to save $2M+. Buffalo sheds $14.25M but only adds $12.83M in cap space (because we'll waive Sarich) for a savings of $1.42M.

Calgary currently isn't making the playoffs with either player. Making this trade makes them younger at both positions with solid NHL contributors. They save money now and Boyes contract will end at the end of the season.

Boyes had been playing well, but he would need to go to make the cap space and his contract expires at the end of the season. This would also make room for Kassian to stay up permanently. Buffalo adds a cup hungry vet with the consistent offense and physicality that was missing from Stafford. Kiprusoff is just as good as Miller and in his "old age" poses less of a threat to Enroth's Sabres future.

I can reason for each team asking for pick to even things out but it doesn't hold me up from making this trade. I say the pick comes our way for burying Sarich (who by the way will only cost Pegula about half of his salary at this point in the season).

EDIT: This obvious doesn't solve our C need, but it makes us better without giving up prospects and saves us cap space on top of that.
no thanks... if we trade Miller we shouldn't be taking back another overpaid goaltender. We should be stocking up on assets to build a great team at positions of more importance (center, defense)

Old
12-19-2011, 12:28 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

I agree.

I also agree with your thoughts on Kassian.

Its worth mentioning that that Leino can play RW. So Kassian doesn't have to be the answer in the top 6 if Stafford is moved out.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:34 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Since apparently teams would be lining up for his services can we trade Lindy?

I know in football you can trade coaches...

Old
12-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
no thanks... if we trade Miller we shouldn't be taking back another overpaid goaltender. We should be stocking up on assets to build a great team at positions of more importance (center, defense)
Since you're in rebuild mode I wouldn't expect you to approve of this trade. However, we do maintain a quality two keeper system, move out one of the current "core" players for a veteran leader that we'd love for players such as Kassian to emulate, and we save cap money; all while leaving our prospects intact for the desired center trade.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Lil Jim 1031

With the rumblings of Roy and Stafford on the block, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this proposal, which I think works in many ways for both teams.

To Buffalo: C/RW B. Dubinsky ($4.2 mill cap hit through 2014-2015), age 25

To NYR: RW D. Stafford ($4.0 mill cap hit through 2014-2015), age 26

Reasons why Buffalo does this:

(1) Adds a high-energy, physical, hard-working forward with enough skill to fit in the Top-6. In my opinion, one of our main problems is the lack of effort/passion/hard work (whatever u wanna call it) out of our Top-6. We have enough high-skill players; however, they are far too inconsistent in their efforts on a nightly basis (Roy & Stafford most notably). Although the swap would probably be a downgrade in scoring potential, Dubinsky would bring a physical edge, consistent effort to the Top 6 we sorely need, along with the ability to score (though he's struggling mightily in that department so far this year).

(2) Adds to our depleted Center depth. Though he would be another W/C, Dubinsky can play Center, is strong on draws and along the boards, and could be a good fit in between Vanek and Pominville. Vanek and Pominville have great chemistry with each other, are always looking for one another, and I think work best when they have a center that will defer to them (think Adam, not Roy). I think Dubinsky would be an ideal fit as a grinder, workhorse for this line, who wouldn't demand the puck but could bury chances.

(3) Potentially opens up room along the RW for Kassian to fill a role in the Top 6 in the future.

Reasons why New York does this:

(1) Mind you I haven't watched a lot of the Rangers play this year, but it seems that if they are looking to make a Cup Run they could definitely use more scoring. Though they have a lot of strong 2-way players (Callahan, Anisimov, Dubinsky), they lack high-end scoring wingers to go along with the likes of Gaborik and Richards. Stafford, though wildly inconsistent, did score 31 in 62 last year and brings some serious potential in the goal scoring department. He could be dangerous if he gets on a hot streak playing next to Richards.

It seems like Dubinsky is on the Rangers s*** list, similar to the way Stafford is here. He has 1 goal on the season and has been moved down the lines. We all know about Stafford's struggles so far this season. A change of scenery could spark both players, and contracts line up almost perfectly. Your thoughts?

Last edited by Lil Jim 1031: 12-19-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old
12-19-2011, 01:14 PM
joshjull

The Avalance are only 3mil above the salary cap floor and have about 13mil in cap space this year. Going into next season they have 9 guys signed (including Stastny) for only 22.3mil. They have almost 42 mil in cap space to build their team for next season if the cap stays the same.

Why do they need to move Stastny? They can address many of their needs through free agency and draft day trades for picks since they can handle taking on salaries.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-19-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old
12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The Avalance are only 3mil above the salary cap floor and have about 13mil in cap space this year. Going into next season they have 9 guys signed (including Stastny) for only 22.3mil. They have almost 42 mil in cap space to build their team for next season if the cap stays the same.

Why do they need to move Stastny?
He is unhappy and under producing

Old
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jim 1031 View Post
With the rumblings of Roy and Stafford on the block, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this proposal, which I think works in many ways for both teams.

To Buffalo: C/RW B. Dubinsky ($4.2 mill cap hit through 2014-2015), age 25

To NYR: RW D. Stafford ($4.0 mill cap hit through 2014-2015), age 26
That is the type of "shake up the core" deal that I could live with.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
He is unhappy and under producing
His cap hit does not hurt them in anyway so they can let him play through it. If anything his cap hit keeps them salary cap compliant with how close they are to the cap floor.

Then they can add help at the deadline, the draft and in the summer. I'm quite envious of the position the Avs are in. They already have some good pieces that are very young and have a ton of cap space to dress other needs.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:08 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
His cap hit does not hurt them in anyway so they can let him play through it. If anything his cap hit keeps them salary cap compliant with how close they are to the cap floor.

Then they can add help at the deadline, the draft and in the summer. I'm quite envious of the position the Avs are in. They already have some good pieces that are very young and have a ton of cap space to dress other needs.
Why ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer?

He has been rumored out of Colorado for 2 years now. In theory your statement is sound but three problems, Colorado doesn't spend because they can't afford to spend, They are not a playoff team and free agents aren't going their.

This deal improves both teams and is a win win. Colorado gets 2 skilled bodies and we get a center also lowering the sabres cap hit.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Same here.

Another option would be kicking the tires on Gagner in Edmonton again, someone who's stalled developmentally, but has a lot of skills for a kid with four full years in the NHL. He's 22 and in his fifth year. Yes, he's small... but if people are quick to shuffle Roy out, there isn't nearly as much concern for big or small in the middle as they still need someone to handle at worst the #2 role.

12-19-2011, 02:10 PM
heartsabres*

Gagner for Stafford?

Old
12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
i could live with that deal too...

however, i think ONLY trading Stafford... is not really a "core shakeup".... it seems stafford gets included in the "core" by default now.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Gagner for Stafford?
That would work. Not sure how the Oil feel about it with Eberle and Hemsky and Jones on RW already.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:27 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:

Why do they need to move Stastny? They can address many of their needs through free agency and draft day trades for picks since they can handle taking on salaries.
Because of the emergence of Duchene/O'Reilly and their relative lack of depth on the right side. I'm not opposed to a deal like: Stafford, Sekera, 2nd for Statsny and O'Brien

Old
12-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Blitz
Welcome 2 HH Archie!

How about something with Carolina (not Staal...)? They are looking like they're not gonna do much this year & heading for a major re-tooling, they might make a decent partner.

Carolina is pretty weak on the right side after Ruutu (ie: LaRose...), and they have pretty decent middle depth coming up in Dalpe, Boychuk & Nash - they might be interested in a guy like Drew for their top line going forward (in exchange for a centreman), and a gritty guy with some scoring upside like Tropp for the bottom-6.

The Canes also seem to be sporting a pretty average defense corps most nights since Pitkanen went down, they could use a little productive vet help there as well. I think Leopold would help them (and Ward) out immensley - this year and next.

On the flip side, IMO Jussi would be more than capable of slotting in on Buffalo's 2nd line, and as we have discussed before Ruutu is exactly what we need in the top-6 here.

To

W/C Tuomo Ruutu ($3.8M UFA)
C Jussi Jokinen ($3M)
2013 3rd RND pick

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
Leino-Jokinen-Ruutu <- Finn line
Ennis-Adam-Kassian
Gerbe-Gaustad-Boyes
X. Kaleta, McCormick, Ellis

Regehr-Myers
Ehrhoff-Sekera
McNabb-Weber
X. Grags

To

RW Drew Stafford ($4M)
RW Corey Tropp ($700K)
D Jordan Leopold ($3M)

Skinner-Staal-Stafford
Poni-Sutter-LaRose
Tlusty-Dalpe-Dwyer
Bowman-Brent-Tropp
X. Nodl, Nash, Boychuk

Pitkanen-Gleason
McBain-Leopold
Spacek-Faulk
X. Josi, Harrison

Thoughts?

Old
12-19-2011, 02:55 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Because of the emergence of Duchene/O'Reilly and their relative lack of depth on the right side. I'm not opposed to a deal like: Stafford, Sekera, 2nd for Statsny and O'Brien

Colorado can address any roster issues without trading Stastny. That was my point. The are not a poor low budget team. They've spent like a big market for most of their existence.

I'm also surprised that Sabres fans would think it makes sense to trade way a center entering the prime years of his career on a reasonable contact for a top
center. It also makes more sense to let their kid centers develop with Stastny in the mix than without him.

It just makes little sense for them to trade Stastny right now IMO.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:55 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
How about something with Carolina (not Staal...)? They are looking like they're not gonna do much this year & heading for a major re-tooling, they might make a decent partner.

Carolina is pretty weak on the right side after Ruutu (ie: LaRose...), and they have pretty decent middle depth coming up in Dalpe, Boychuk & Nash - they might be interested in a guy like Drew for their top line going forward (in exchange for a centreman), and a gritty guy with some scoring upside like Tropp for the bottom-6.

The Canes also seem to be sporting a pretty average defense corps most nights since Pitkanen went down, they could use a little productive vet help there as well. I think Leopold would help them (and Ward) out immensley - this year and next.

On the flip side, IMO Jussi would be more than capable of slotting in on Buffalo's 2nd line, and as we have discussed before Ruutu is exactly what we need in the top-6 here.

To

W/C Tuomo Ruutu ($3.8M UFA)
C Jussi Jokinen ($3M)
2013 3rd RND pick

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
Leino-Jokinen-Ruutu <- Finn line
Ennis-Adam-Kassian
Gerbe-Gaustad-Boyes
X. Kaleta, McCormick, Ellis

Regehr-Myers
Ehrhoff-Sekera
McNabb-Weber
X. Grags

To

RW Drew Stafford ($4M)
RW Corey Tropp ($700K)
D Jordan Leopold ($3M)

Skinner-Staal-Stafford
Poni-Sutter-LaRose
Tlusty-Dalpe-Dwyer
Bowman-Brent-Tropp
X. Nodl, Nash, Boychuk

Pitkanen-Gleason
McBain-Leopold
Spacek-Faulk
X. Josi, Harrison

Thoughts?
Not a fan at all. I'd like to get Ruutu but Jokinen is just another winger playing center out of necessity. He's certainly not worth giving up Leopold for.

Closed Thread