HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Maple Leafs interested in acquiring Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks?

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2011, 12:12 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Are the Maple Leafs interested in acquiring Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks?

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...n-riddles.html

Quote:
So should the Leafs be interested now? Yes. Does it matter than Ryan's another scoring winger, not a centre? Not really. The Leafs are in the business of acquiring top six forwards as assets. The positional balance can be addressed later. Is Ryan's salary a problem? He's got three more years after this one at $5.1 million. That's hefty, but not a cap crippler for a team like the Leafs.

Which brings us to the cost, and here's the tricky part. Ryan's a 30-35 goal man, a real stylist out there, not surprising for a legendary roller hockey player. But he doesn't really have a physical component to his game, he's not an accomplished penalty killer and he's off to a so-so start this season.

You don't want to overpay, but here's a guy it's easy to get over-excited about. Obviously, a young defenceman would have to be part of a deal, and maybe that's Luke Schenn or Carl Gunnarson or Cody Franson. Nazem Kadri could be in there. Stuart Percy is a young blueliner and Leaf first round playing junior in Mississauga. Nik Kulemin might make sense, but he's having an off-year, too. With the Leafs high in the NHL standings, a 2012 first rounder could come into play.

Some combination of that group might make sense. Perhaps it's Kulemin and Franson for Ryan. Schenn and Kadri? The Leafs have assets, more than in a long time, the result of steady work by Burke and Dave Nonis over the past three years.

You can bet Burke will kick the tires on this one, see if Ryan really is up for grabs. He knows the young man well and believes in him, and he and Murray can do business, with the fact they're a conference apart making it a little easier for both.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:15 PM
PhaneufsPhorehead

We have nothing to trade for Ryan, other than 1st round draft picks and we all know how bad that turned out last time.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:15 PM
a a ron
Tyler the franchise

hopefully burke can find a way to fleece them

Old
11-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Cappayne

I hate all this tension and waiting. I'm going to stop getting my hopes up or pretending to know what possible deals might happen with Anaheim and another team, and if/when Ryan is traded elsewhere I will just accept it.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:16 PM
tacoburrito

vCash: 50
fn cox

Old
11-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaneufsPhorehead View Post
We have nothing to trade for Ryan, other than 1st round draft picks and we all know how bad that turned out last time.
Welcome to the boards.

You're wrong here. We have plenty of good prosepcts and young players to deal, as Cox has pointed out.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:18 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Anaheim doesn't HAVE to trade him.

They'll create a bidding war and get what they want.

Quote:
VikingLeafJay Mark Wheeler
@b_ryan9 How many tweets per minute have you gotten about your upcoming trade to the #Leafs ? Lol!!!

Quote:
@b_ryan9 Bobby Ryan
@VikingLeafJay you have no idea. Little overwhelming

That's not me btw, but the guy likely doesn't even wanna play here. Even in 2010 when there were rumors, he said something like "If I get one more e-mail about a Toronto rumor, I'll lose it".

Old
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Really? With the depth the Leafs have at both the NHL and prospect levels, we most certainly have the pieces to offer.

Old
Vexxed14

Quote:
And the deal you speak of landed us the leading point getter so far this year. Based on your logic, I say pull the trigger.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:20 PM
MLHS Joe C

I'm betting the Ducks would want Kadri, Percy and a 1st for Ryan. It's a lot to give up, but it seems worth it to me.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:21 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:

am i missing something here

Old
11-29-2011, 12:24 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
You're doing it wrong.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLHS Joe C View Post
I'm betting the Ducks would want Kadri, Percy and a 1st for Ryan. It's a lot to give up, but it seems worth it to me.
I'm betting they want someone who can slot in and play now..maybe Kulemin.
Based on Burke's normal return...current roster player, propect and a draft pick.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:27 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

What is this, the 5 Ryan thread in 2 days? It's like its the summer of 2010 again.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:27 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
What is this, the 5 Ryan thread in 2 days? It's like its the summer of 2010 again.
No kidding.

And it'll have the same result.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:29 PM
PhaneufsPhorehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
And the deal you speak of landed us the leading point getter so far this year. Based on your logic, I say pull the trigger.
I realize that but its unlikely he finishes the season as the leading scorer and as much as I love the Leafs they won't be competing for a cup this year. If we would have kept those picks we would be alot closer to being contenders, but thats probably been discussed countless times on here.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:29 PM
reever29

Kadri, Franson and a Second Round Pick, turns into first rounder if Leafs make it to Second Round of the Playoffs..

Old
11-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappayne View Post
I hate all this tension and waiting. I'm going to stop getting my hopes up or pretending to know what possible deals might happen with Anaheim and another team, and if/when Ryan is traded elsewhere I will just accept it.
Good plan. I'd suggest everyone follow this policy.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Old
11-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
I realize that but its unlikely he finishes the season as the leading scorer and as much as I love the Leafs they won't be competing for a cup this year. If we would have kept those picks we would be alot closer to being contenders, but thats probably been discussed countless times on here.
0/10

Old
11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
reever29

Or...Lupul, Gardiner and a pick for Ryan

Old
11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Burke needs me

if i'm the leafs....for Bobby Ryan

it would hurt....

but i'd offer Schenn + Kadri

-or-

grabovski and Kulemin.

--
i would rather ship off the equivalent of 3 first rounders and a salary dump
ie

Lombardi (3.5)
Kadri
Colborne
one of Gunnarson/Aulie/Franson

i'm not sure Ducks go for that unless they want to enter the Yakupov sweepstakes.

---
if burke gave up 2 firsts and second for Kessel (which was overpayment IMHO)
then he should give up about the same for Ryan.
Kessel and Ryan about equal value players in my books.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:33 PM
GalacticaActual

There's no need to give up any significant assets for Bobby Ryan right now. The Leafs aren't going to win the Cup in their first playoff experience. Let the kids get a taste of the playoffs, to learn what it takes to win and what kind of sacrifices you have to make to succeed in the post-season.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:35 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticaActual View Post
There's no need to give up any significant assets for Bobby Ryan right now. The Leafs aren't going to win the Cup in their first playoff experience. Let the kids get a taste of the playoffs, to learn what it takes to win and what kind of sacrifices you have to make to succeed in the post-season.
IMO, like obtaining Kessel there is no wrong to aquire a great young player.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
bozaksniffles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
That's not me btw, but the guy likely doesn't even wanna play here. Even in 2010 when there were rumors, he said something like "If I get one more e-mail about a Toronto rumor, I'll lose it".

He dated an Ontario girl for many years previously and there was a lot of drama there. Might have something to do with it..

Old
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticaActual View Post
If we have to give up WAY too much then it's not worth it. If we have to give a little more than other teams are offering, I'm all for it.

Players like Ryan aren't available very often in the league. The last time Ryan threads were all over this boards were because he turned RFA and Burke had drafted him, people around here went crazy.

Right now the situation is a whole lot different, he's actually being shopped.

Having Kessel and Ryan is 2/3rds of the problem solved for our first line for the foreseeable future. Now given how talented these two are, you don't even need a legit #1C, if Colborne can become a steady consistent player.

Also, Cox is wrong, Ryan does have a physical part in his game. He has ~37 hits so far in 23 games, that's more than Lupul + Kessel combined.

Closed Thread