HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Maple Leafs interested in acquiring Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks?

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Lebanese Leaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Giroux did not just 'come out of leftfield'. Philly fans have always been high on this guy, arguably even to a greater extent than JVR. They would not just trade away Richards and Carter, two players any smart organization would want, even after signing them to long-term deals, if they did not believe in Giroux. He's quickly establishing himself in the next tier of young great Canadian hockey players.

I don't even see the comparison to Kadri at all, not saying you are making it, but you'd think Kadri would break into a relatively weak roster by now especially considering the fact that other young players are starting to do so, in his absence.
How's it his fault that he's not on the roster?

He's been doing everything management wants. They want him to add weight... he does. They want him to get back his speed... he does. They wand him to get stronger... he does.

He just got named AHL player of the month and is leading a depleted Marlies team to the top of the conference. If he goes out and plays at a 2ppg pace in the AHL but doesn't even get a chance in the NHL how is that his fault? And no he didn't get a fair chance so far this year, he got 3 games before being sent down, and he didn't play bad at all in those 3 games.

No one had a problem with him playing on the third line with Bozak and Armstrong in training camp, and he outplayed Frattin. But now, everyone jumps to say he can't be up if not in the top 6, and throw non-stop criticism at him.

Old
12-01-2011, 09:20 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
How many Marlies games have you watched?

Eakins has been praising Kadri's complete game. He's playing C and showing a committment to defense. After his 4 point night last week, Eakins commented that even if he had 0 points, that was his best game of the season.

And when Giroux was 20-21 years old he had 27 points in 42 games, which is good for a rookie but not exactly WOW numbers. The difference is that the Flyers gave him a chance and let him stay up on the roster, allowing him to learn and improve at the NHL level. If given 42 games, I have no doubt Kadri could put up more than 27 points.
You're clearly bias toward Kadri, your username says it all. Giroux's 27 points in 42 games might not be "WOW" numbers, as you put it, but it's certainly more impressive than Kadri's 12 points in 29 games. Giroux put up 76 points last year and is currently on pace to crack the 100 point plateau.

There is no comparison. Giroux cracked an extremely deep flyers lineup and played at a PPG pace during the Flyer's run to the Stanley Cup final. Kadri couldn't crack the very weak lineup of a rebuilding Leafs team. You need to take off your Lebanese lenses and accept the fact that Kadri isn't the second coming of Sidney Crosby. Or even Claude Giroux. Hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see it happening at this point.

Old
12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
You're clearly bias toward Kadri, your username says it all. Giroux's 27 points in 42 games might not be "WOW" numbers, as you put it, but it's certainly more impressive than Kadri's 12 points in 29 games. Giroux put up 76 points last year and is currently on pace to crack the 100 point plateau.

There is no comparison. Giroux cracked an extremely deep flyers lineup and played at a PPG pace during the Flyer's run to the Stanley Cup final. Kadri couldn't crack the very weak lineup of a rebuilding Leafs team. You need to take off your Lebanese lenses and accept the fact that Kadri isn't the second coming of Sidney Crosby. Or even Claude Giroux. Hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see it happening at this point.
I'm not saying he's the second coming of Giroux. But there are a lot of similarities between the two. My point is Giroux was given more chances than Kadri has been given so far. I'm speaking objectively here so don't use my username as an excuse, that's just as bad as using someone's ethnicity as an excuse. If I was black and defending Jarome Iginla, would you tell me "take off your black lenses."

Old
12-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Also, in his 2008-09 rookie year where he put up 27 points in 42 games, Giroux 1 G and 5 A in his first 14 games.

Kadri got 29 games last year, registering 3G and 9A for 12 points. Giroux in 29 games had 5G and 10A. Only difference is Giroux got more games after those initial 29 and started to put up even better numbers. Kadri has been yo-yo'd up and down and not given a fair consistent shot to stay up and prove what he can do long term.

Old
12-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Giroux did not just 'come out of leftfield'. Philly fans have always been high on this guy, arguably even to a greater extent than JVR. They would not just trade away Richards and Carter, two players any smart organization would want, even after signing them to long-term deals, if they did not believe in Giroux. He's quickly establishing himself in the next tier of young great Canadian hockey players.

I don't even see the comparison to Kadri at all, not saying you are making it, but you'd think Kadri would break into a relatively weak roster by now especially considering the fact that other young players are starting to do so, in his absence.
Claude Giroux came out of left field in the sense that his production took a quantum leap from 47 points to 76 last year and is now sustaining a point a game pace and is now being pumped as one of the 'next tier of great Canadian hockey players'. I know the Flyers and their fans have been high on him in the past and he was a late first rounder, and he has shown a lot of promise, but when he was scoring a PPG in the AHL 3 years ago, I don't think anyone was singling him out as the 'next generation' of great Canadians.

This has all happened in a year and a half. The Giroux example shows that a kid can be brought along relatively slowly compared to 18 year olds who light up the league and be top line players given the proper development. I don't really see anything wrong with how Kadri has progressed so far, or why people are giving up on him. Clearly he's shown enough to warrant a few more years of development.

And finally, if Kadri is a bust at 21 when he's scoring at a PPG in the AHL, I'd like to also remind everyone what Bobby Ryan, the legend himself was doing at 21.

2007-08 Anaheim Ducks NHL 23 5 5 10
2007-08 Portland Pirates AHL 48 21 28 49

And his is what he was doing at 22

Iowa Chops AHL 14 9 10 19 Anaheim Ducks NHL 64 31 26 57

That's right, point a game in the AHL, playing part time in the NHL. The horror!

Old
12-01-2011, 09:33 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Why are we debating Kadri vs Giroux in the Bobby Ryan thread.........

Old
12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Vexxed14

All these idiots who start trying to argue that Kadri isn't Giroux when all the guy did was compare their playing styles lololol

knobs

Old
12-01-2011, 09:47 PM
TML4eva*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post

Actually he could have cracked the leafs lineup but for his own good he was send down because he need to work his defensive game. But in reality, they didn't want to rush kadri, and he was already puttin up ppg at ahl, so why call him up when he can get his confidence by playing in the ahl.

I also think Kadri a late bloomer Perry/Couture etc.

Old
12-01-2011, 10:12 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Back to Bobby Ryan guys. thanks.

knock off the race talk and don't quote this post please.

Last edited by LeeIs: 12-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old
12-01-2011, 10:27 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
I'm not saying he's the second coming of Giroux. But there are a lot of similarities between the two. My point is Giroux was given more chances than Kadri has been given so far. I'm speaking objectively here so don't use my username as an excuse, that's just as bad as using someone's ethnicity as an excuse. If I was black and defending Jarome Iginla, would you tell me "take off your black lenses."
I agree with your stance on Kadri 100%. The fact that he is in the AHL when many other stiffs get more than there share of opportunity is disgusting. But you take it a bit far with your Iginla analogy. The guy pointed out that your Avatar is of Nazem Kadri...One would assume you are a big fan of his. Which is cool..but just sayin...don't think he meant anything by it.

Old
12-01-2011, 10:29 PM
sparxx87

MacArthur, Schenn, Colborne/Kadri, 1st
for
Ryan, Foster(salary)

Old
12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Nothing personal taken or meant at anyone.

I'm simply trying to talk hockey, and my Iginla analogy was just to say that it shouldn't matter that I'm Lebanese when defending Kadri, I'm a Leaf fan first and foremost, and I wouldn't be pumping his tires if I didn't also think he's going to be a good player. Its just frustrating because a lot of the time I will have solid factual things to say regarding Kadri, but because my username makes it obvious I'm a fan of his, the things get dismissed as too homer.

Old
12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:

I'm simply trying to talk hockey, and my Iginla analogy was just to say that it shouldn't matter that I'm Lebanese when defending Kadri, I'm a Leaf fan first and foremost, and I wouldn't be pumping his tires if I didn't also think he's going to be a good player. Its just frustrating because a lot of the time I will have solid factual things to say regarding Kadri, but because my username makes it obvious I'm a fan of his, the things get dismissed as too homer.
honest question. were you as big a leaf fan before you even knew Nazem Kadri existed?

Old
12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:

It's ok. You'll hear that from time to time with your being what it is.

Old
12-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
honest question. were you as big a leaf fan before you even knew Nazem Kadri existed?
Yes I was.

Been a Leaf fan my whole life, Mats Sundin was my favourite player ever when he played. I remember saving up and begging my parents to buy my Mats Sundin Jersey when I was about 12 years old in ~2002. I still have that jersey even though its way too small. I remember the 2002 playoffs vividly, and how heartbroken I was that we were that close to finally making it to the SCF if not for that damned Arturs Irbe . I also remember the heartbreak of losing to Philly in 2004, and I can't believe I went through all of high school and all of university undergrad now without having seen another playoff game. I have seen almost every single game that they've played since then even though not a single one was a playoff game. I could go on and on, but yea, I bleed blue and white.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Is that necessary?

Old
12-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Honest question, and I'll probably get a warning for this, but what's your ****ing problem? Leave the guy alone - your the **** here not him.

Back on topic - Common sense prevails; it makes more sense, to me anyway, to give the ax to the coach rather than to a player on a struggling team. I think the fact that Carlyle had a contract extension led a lot of people to believe that Anaheim would shake up the room before they shook up the coaching, but I think they ultimately did the right thing.

It was the right move - hold onto a 24 year old power forward with great hands and the ability to really get even better, and on top of that a "building block" kind of guy, and get rid of the coach instead.

That should really put an end to the speculation though - with Bruce in there, Ryan isn't going anywhere.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:03 AM
WoratCase*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Honest question, and I'll probably get a warning for this, but what's your ****ing problem? Leave the guy alone - your the **** here not him.
Not sure why you're angry here. A little too defensive for my liking which makes me question your deep seeded intentions. Stop trying to be a hero. You're offending me. Is there something wrong with liking a player because of his nationality? It was a fair question.
I became a big Chelsea fan when Vialli and Zola were there. Yes because they were Italian. Nothing wrong with that.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoratCase View Post
Not sure why you're angry here. A little too defensive for my liking which makes me question your deep seeded intentions. Stop trying to be a hero. You're offending me. Is there something wrong with liking a player because of his nationality? It was a fair question.
I became a big Chelsea fan when Vialli and Zola were there. Yes because they were Italian. Nothing wrong with that.
There's a snarky, belittling tone to that fellas' question towards the poster.

That's the end of it - moving on.

Did you ever meet Zola? Was never a fan of Vialli, but Zola was a genius and I was able to meet him towards the end of one of Chelsea's training sessions in Slough one summer.

He was one of the last lads off the pitch, and he was practicing his free kicks by having his coaching staff setup the plastic "player walls" that simulated walls in real matches. He lined up about 9 or 10 balls all 10 yards away from the ball, and then hit them. Every single one of them slammed off the plastic heads of the wall - he hit the guy on the left first, then moved from left to right, and smashed them all in the head. Sometimes, the balls would get stuck in the plastic.

His last kick he put off the crossbar, deliberately.

Was a little genius to watch.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:12 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

With word Bobby Ryan isn't being moved, I'm surprised this thread is still going.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:22 AM
WoratCase*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
There's a snarky, belittling tone to that fellas' question towards the poster.

That's the end of it - moving on.

Did you ever meet Zola? Was never a fan of Vialli, but Zola was a genius and I was able to meet him towards the end of one of Chelsea's training sessions in Slough one summer.

He was one of the last lads off the pitch, and he was practicing his free kicks by having his coaching staff setup the plastic "player walls" that simulated walls in real matches. He lined up about 9 or 10 balls all 10 yards away from the ball, and then hit them. Every single one of them slammed off the plastic heads of the wall - he hit the guy on the left first, then moved from left to right, and smashed them all in the head. Sometimes, the balls would get stuck in the plastic.

His last kick he put off the crossbar, deliberately.

Was a little genius to watch.
The guy was so talented. Whenever I think Zola the words " Little Genius " pop in my head. The guy was fantastic to watch.
Vialli had talent too but he didn't play the politic game in Italy so he was basically shunned. Much like Baggio.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
With word Bobby Ryan isn't being moved, I'm surprised this thread is still going.
My thoughts exactly.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoratCase View Post
The guy was so talented. Whenever I think Zola the words " Little Genius " pop in my head. The guy was fantastic to watch.
Vialli had talent too but he didn't play the politic game in Italy so he was basically shunned. Much like Baggio.
He really is a little genius.

When he went into management, there was a lot of speculation he was going to get fired as manager of West Ham United - everyone's knives were out and the media had camped out in front of his house for hours, and rather than hide or be upset at them he came out, and offered them all tea and I think he brought some umbrellas out for them because it was raining lol.

Just a class act all the way around.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:34 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Based on the topic trajectory, as well as how word is Ryan is off the trading block, I think we're done here.

Closed.