HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Maple Leafs interested in acquiring Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks?

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaksniffles View Post
pretty sure the last one was not being called "deep" on these boards
It wasn't deep, but there was still plenty of comments that it was. They're all deep.

Anyhow, don't want to derail the speculation proclamation, I'll just back out slowly here..

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Old
11-29-2011, 01:38 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Bobby Ryan's contract is an incredibly valuable one and in high-demand around the league from both playoff teams and bubble teams alike.

Not only that, but Anaheim really has no reason to trade him of all people.
He still isn't worth two good players AND a first rounder.

Just to add, on TSN they said his contract probably "wasn't a hinderance" but they surely didn't spin it as a great deal.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:44 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
He still isn't worth two good players AND a first rounder.

Just to add, on TSN they said his contract probably "wasn't a hinderance" but they surely didn't spin it as a great deal.
He is worth as much as the market dictates.

There is a big market for Bobby Ryan and his contract.

Leafs pass.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
reever29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaksniffles View Post
you also missed the joke
Thanks so much!! Glad someone else is smart around here!!

Old
11-29-2011, 01:48 PM
DPyro

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Ryan-Connolly-MacArthur

I like that top six

Old
11-29-2011, 01:48 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
He is worth as much as the market dictates.

There is a big market for Bobby Ryan and his contract.

Leafs pass.
Okay, that's why I said pass! The price is too high, if these are the proposals we need to get him, that was the point brother

Old
11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Ryan-Connolly-MacArthur

I like that top six
But who would be our #2 center for the other half of the season.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:55 PM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Anaheim doesn't HAVE to trade him.

They'll create a bidding war and get what they want.
Agreed. Leafs have to compete with 28 other teams, many of whom can offer a better package than what we might want to give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
That's not me btw, but the guy likely doesn't even wanna play here. Even in 2010 when there were rumors, he said something like "If I get one more e-mail about a Toronto rumor, I'll lose it".
Um..I think that had more to do with the fact that his rights were still owned by Anaheim at that point. An RFA can't just go up and say "I'd love to play somewhere else" without risking some sort of backlash (see: Turris, Kyle). You're reading way, way too deep into that.

Besides he grew up in Ontario anyway. He doesn't have anything against the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafTroll View Post
Anyway Burke should only offer a Jeff Carter like package, anything more is an overpayment, Ryan would be more like a luxary, considering he would likely play in our second line.
Ryan is a luxury the Leafs can afford. He has a game-changing quality to him, and him and Kessel would give us two dynamic players that can create an insane amount of space for other players like Lupul, Connolly, Kadri, etc. It's not worth giving up more than what was asked for Mike Richards (Kadri and Kulemin) but given the fact that Anaheim has a good relationship with Burke, who understands exactly what they need, there may be room for a deal. Obviously this is complete speculation, but people should watch closer if they think Bobby Ryan wouldn't immensely improve our offensive output.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
I can see Burke going after Ryan.

Everything's available except for: Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf, Reimer, Schenn, and Gardiner IMO.

That leaves these players available: Aulie, Franson, Kadri, Kulemin, Gunnar, 1st rounder, Blacker, Colborne, Grabo, Macarthur, Frattin, Percy, Biggs, Ross, Mckegg... etc. Most realistically, I can see a package being centred around Kulemin and Kadri.

If we could get Ryan, we'd have a very good core group of players that we could continue building around in: Kessel, Ryan, Phaneuf, Schenn, Gardiner, Reims

That's a good core, I'd be ecstatic if Burke could land Ryan.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Bobby Ryan's contract is an incredibly valuable one and in high-demand around the league from both playoff teams and bubble teams alike.

Not only that, but Anaheim really has no reason to trade him of all people.
But why do we care?

He'd be playing on our second line and the point is Toronto wouldn't give up a ton of picks/players just to get a second-liner. Our team is playing too well to add Bobby Ryan. The only top sixer out of place is Kulemin and I'd rather get a Lucic then a Ryan.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

I think the asking price will be similar to Richards. You could say Richards has more value, plays the center position, signed for many more years, plays good defense, very similar offensive production (career .77 for Richards, .78 for Ryan), they both play a hard nosed game and play physical. Richards can do more and I'd say Ryan has slightly more offensive upside but the value should be similar.

Flyers got Simmonds and Schenn. So I'd say Kulemin + Kadri are similar in value which is what we offered for Richards (Flyers didn't accept but they probably didn't want Richards to stay in the East). Kulemin is struggling but he is still better than Simmonds while Schenn is better than Kadri but both are in a similar position in their careers.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:08 PM
last row purple

vCash: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafTroll View Post
But who would be our #2 center for the other half of the season.
Grabo will be a UFA at years end, so Im guessing he wouldnt be included in this deal. He would be fine in the top 6 when Connolly gets hurt or if Ballsack gets hurt.

As much as I like Kulemin, I think he would be the best candidate to send to Anaheim from the forward core. At this point the Leafs are fairly deep (cant believe I just wrote that) and could afford to lose him and a young D'Man (probably Gunnar) to get the deal done.
That being said... Im not sure if its the greatest idea to throw away productive players from a team that is meshing well for a single player who will (probably) play on the 2nd line. Offense isnt a problem in Toronto right now. Why mess with something that seems to be working?

Old
11-29-2011, 02:12 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Welcome to the boards.

You're wrong here. We have plenty of good prosepcts and young players to deal, as Cox has pointed out.
Yep. I don't think it'll happen because he'll command way too much in return, but we do have some great assets now to make big deals.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:17 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

In the next couple of years, we will have one of the Big 3 from the Ducks, most likely Ryan or Getzlaf

Old
11-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
No way it works out, I wish.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by reever29 View Post
Kadri, Franson and a Second Round Pick, turns into first rounder if Leafs make it to Second Round of the Playoffs..
Turning a second round pick into a first going Anaheim's way with the stipulation being making the SECOND round of playoffs...no thank you

Old
11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

Kadri+Kulemin+Lombardi+2nd -> Bobby Ryan

Ryan looked good at C when he had played there, so should be regard him as a #1C, especially with the possibility of Parise coming here?

Old
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM
eyeball11

Just a note but for the most part, any TO deals have been completely under wraps until they've happened.....Kessel aside.

That media are reporting it makes me very skeptical.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:28 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
But why do we care?

He'd be playing on our second line and the point is Toronto wouldn't give up a ton of picks/players just to get a second-liner. Our team is playing too well to add Bobby Ryan. The only top sixer out of place is Kulemin and I'd rather get a Lucic then a Ryan.
I think you misinterpreted the message I am trying to convey.

The Leafs pass because we cannot justify outspending about a dozen or so teams when, in fact, the Ducks are under no pressure to trade him.

The Ducks are being subjected to the routine fantasies of internet fanboys who determine "availability" by which team is at the bottom of the NHL standings. Let's see who is at the bottom of standings today, shall we? Oh, I see Columbus, NYI, Anaheim, Carolina, and Calgary.

That must mean those teams are shopping Carter/Nash, Tavares, Ryan/Getzlaf, E.Staal, and Iginla.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:29 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Kadri+Kulemin+Lombardi+2nd -> Bobby Ryan

Ryan looked good at C when he had played there, so should be regard him as a #1C, especially with the possibility of Parise coming here?
Way to really stir things up!

Imagine Kessel, Ryan and Parise as Leafs...these boards would implode.

Old
Interactif

I have a hard time believing Ryan will be a Leaf, Burke's trades are straight out of left field and this one is getting way too much play.

Will there be a deal, maybe, probably, but it will be a player we didn't expect. He's not going to sell the farm either for Ryan, for someone with a bigger name possibly, maybe and probably.

Old
publisacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaneufsPhorehead View Post
We have nothing to trade for Ryan, other than 1st round draft picks and we all know how bad that turned out last time.
Yeah seriously man.It sucks the 1st round picks we traded ended up being a player that is leading our team and league in scoring points after over a quarter of the season...

Old
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I don't see the pont of sacrificing a 24 year old forward because of a slow start to the season due to injuries to defencemen.
They might be able to get more value by trading him. No harm in seeing what the return could be.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Call me crazy but what's with all the Kulemin talk?

Bobby Ryan's a great player that I'd love to see play for the Leafs but are we really giving up on Kulie this quickly? Guy's excellent defensively and although he's been struggling mightily in the offensive side of things this season he was a 30 goal scorer just last season.

To me, that's a big no thank you to trading him.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Flyers got Simmonds and Schenn. So I'd say Kulemin + Kadri are similar in value which is what we offered for Richards (Flyers didn't accept but they probably didn't want Richards to stay in the East). Kulemin is struggling but he is still better than Simmonds while Schenn is better than Kadri but both are in a similar position in their careers.
Very true. A first round pick this year may be a good chip aswell. If things progress as they have been it should be a middle/low pick, which doesn't have much value to us unless Burkie has his eye on someone already late in the draft.

--------------------------

@NYP_Brooksie
Re Rangers and Ryan: could be proverbial "tire-kicking," could be more, but NYR wouldn't deal Stepan or McDonagh, among those off limits

He doesn't necessarily say that those two players were a potential package but I wouldn't say it's far off. Give or take a roster player or a pick.

I truly hope Grabovski is kept. Need some insurance for Connolly, especially considering he isn't a long term option as of right now. If Kulemin + Kadri is the asking price, I don't have a problem with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmic Dan View Post
Call me crazy but what's with all the Kulemin talk?

Bobby Ryan's a great player that I'd love to see play for the Leafs but are we really giving up on Kulie this quickly? Guy's excellent defensively and although he's been struggling mightily in the offensive side of things this season he was a 30 goal scorer just last season.

To me, that's a big no thank you to trading him.
Nobody is giving up on him. You have to give quality to get quality.

Closed Thread