HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/29/11 "Mulled Whine" - Panthers VS Hurricanes

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2011, 08:12 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Anybody else at least a little bit worried with Gudbranson? He hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't exactly looked great either. He just hasn't been able to settle in.
It takes defensive defensemen time to adapt to this league. Guds wasn't expected to bring a top flight offensive game, and he hasn't.

I'm not worried about the kid. I'll judge him on his progress rather than where he stands.

Hard to judge his progress when he's sitting in the pressbox. He'll get more time with Kulikov out.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:35 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
It takes defensive defensemen time to adapt to this league. Guds wasn't expected to bring a top flight offensive game, and he hasn't.

I'm not worried about the kid. I'll judge him on his progress rather than where he stands.

Hard to judge his progress when he's sitting in the pressbox. He'll get more time with Kulikov out.
Well see, that's mostly what I am worried about. He doesn't get to play consistently, and I just hope it's not effecting his development. I know Dineen/Tallon wouldn't jeopardize their prized prospect, so I trust they know what they are doing, but it just seems like he hasn't been able to hit his stride, and looks on edge the games he does get to play.

As you said, I guess with Kulikov being out, this will give him time to play consistently and hopefully adapt a little more and maybe battle some of those nervous feelings.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:45 AM
jakethesnake23

Probably a number of factors.

1. Can't out muscle and bully guys now hes in the NHL and not OHL
2. Offensive game isn't as good as expected, although his shot has looked dangerous the few times hes got a good one on
3. Hasn't adapted to the speed on the NHL. Not the "skating" speed, but the "time to make a play" speed
4. Being paired with Jovo

On the positives, his skating is without a doubt NHL quality, miles beyond Jovo, Weaver and even Garrison. And when he has really gone to put someone on their a*** hes thrown them around pretty good. His passing is also generally right on the tape, and is hard and fast.

Ive been trying to think of why there is a reputation of "defenders take longer to mature" than forwards. my guess is that as a defensemen, there is more responsibilty on your shoulders. a turnover by a defender in the defensive zone is a critical mistake, whereas a turnover by a forward in the forward zone happens nearly every shift. a forward can survive, espcially when new to the league, buy just pushing the puck forward and skating your ass off. whereas for a defender, there are more aspects of the game - play with the puck, without the puck, along the boards, do i pinch? do i ice it? do I skate it out? - and often less time to react. all of this is compounded by the fact that any mistake by a defender can potentially lead to a goal, and these mistakes are more obvious to people watching than mistakes from a forward. I guess its just hard for young defenders to make the NHL coz there is just so much responsibilty on the ice. you truly need to be NHL calibre or you will be exposed and cost your team goals and games. with a forward thats unlikely to happen.

now does that mean it can't be done?? of course not. there are numerous examples of why it can be done. but I guess Guds just has too many things running through his head, and is being victimised. as time goes on, he will adapt.

but yes its definately painfull and frustrating to watch.

Old
11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Didn't watch the game tonight guys, had my own hockey. I can't add real input as I just watchd the highlights on Yahoo! which were about 4:40 long.

But from the bits I saw I think Jose stole us a W. He had been this good before, but I think our team has played good enough where he didn't have to/couldn't steal a W because our whole team play was better than the opposition.

Tonight from the highlights and stats, Carolina looked the better team. Jose looked like the best player on the ice. Good to see!

Old
11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anybody else at least a little bit worried with Gudbranson? He hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't exactly looked great either. He just hasn't been able to settle in.
Yeah but this is due to the fact that he didnt play on a regular basis. To be the healthy scratch does not help to settle him. He is a rookie. Let him play. You can bench Jovo for making rookie mistakes..

Old
11-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
I agree. We used to never win in Carolina so to come out with two points is dope, inconsistent play or not. We obviously don't have our best roster. The kids we have up are serviceable, but that's pretty much it, Skille included.

Speaking of which, I wish there was a rule that if you are awarded a penalty shot, you could option out and take a regular two-minute powerplay instead. Lol. I don't think anyone here thought Skille was going to score there, even his own fans.

-ghoste
That made my day

Old
11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Great game. Always great when we beat the Canes! Hope Joslin gets more then just 3games for that cheap shot on Verteeg! And comon' refs not even an interference penalty? Verteeg got elbowed in the face! Well, didn't cost us the game but very well could have. Beginning of the 3rd when Verteeg went for a hit and left a cane open in the slot. Theo bailed him out though. Great game by Theo and what an amazing save on that desperation reach around while facing his own net. Hope Kulikov's cut isn't deep and hope he's back soon. Glad we have depth to cover these injuries! And Sammy should be back either against LA or the following game. Can't wait to see him on that PP!

Old
11-30-2011, 03:03 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Too much negativity on Guds here!

Old
11-30-2011, 03:12 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Agree completely. Give the kid a chance. Potvin (god i love quoting him) used to say it takes 200 nhl games to learn. he hasnt had 20.

Old
11-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Just a young kid that is learning He will become better soon!

Old
11-30-2011, 04:12 PM
jakethesnake23

Don't think anyone is saying anything thats untrue. He's a kid and he's learning.

Old
11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Agree completely. Give the kid a chance. Potvin (god i love quoting him) used to say it takes 200 nhl games to learn. he hasnt had 20.
Talk like that would get you killed in the blue seats

Old
11-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Well see, that's mostly what I am worried about. He doesn't get to play consistently, and I just hope it's not effecting his development. I know Dineen/Tallon wouldn't jeopardize their prized prospect, so I trust they know what they are doing, but it just seems like he hasn't been able to hit his stride, and looks on edge the games he does get to play.

As you said, I guess with Kulikov being out, this will give him time to play consistently and hopefully adapt a little more and maybe battle some of those nervous feelings.
Yeah I think I've seen that nervousness a little more than I would've liked too in Guds. But I think that really all on him and he's overthinking things and worrying too much about making mistakes that he ends up making them anyway. Also I think Dineen is telling him to keep it simple and not do too much so he's not quite comfortable with his role so far either.

I know this may sound odd but I actually hope the added time now will make him take some chances a bit more and play his own game. I guess I'd rather him try and play his style with confidence and make a mistake or 2 that way than be nervous and still make mistakes. At least if he takes some chances, he has the chance to make better plays and contribute more.

Old
11-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Haj

I think he is just trying to focus on his positioning and make correct plays with the puck. I can't imagine what playing D in the NHL is like, but I'm sure once he figures out those two things, then he'll start playing more physical...and after that the offense will come.

Remember the he is not only adjusting to the pace of the game, but he is also adjusting to the level of talent he is facing...and he hasn't had close to enough time to figure out the tendencies of opposing players. This is likely not relevant but I played D in soccer for 15 years and a big part of it was simply being familiar with who I was defending

Closed Thread