HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 games in, what do you think of Sid?

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2011, 03:59 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

vCash: 500
I think Crosby is a good hockey player.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:01 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I agree but I don't see how Bylsma is "giddy" to change the lines. If he was why hasn't he simply done it? It's not like he has to wait on anyone.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

He's waited over a year to play with the lines. He's done it quite a bit over the last few games.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Stad
@Crosby2Perron

He's getting a hat trick tonight.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:15 PM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
I think Crosby is a good hockey player.
I think Crosby is a good hockey player, as well.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Not sure if this has been pointed out anywhere, but they did give Sid the secondary assist on the Staal goal, so another multipoint game and 9 points in 4 games back.

Sure, some of them haven't been all that impressive, but they are scoring with him on the ice, he's drawing defenders away from other players, and he's played great away from the puck. Has he even been on the ice for a goal scored against yet?

And the best part is he should only get better.
Yeah, I missed that. I thought he deserved one there, but just sort of wrote it off. Nice to see!

On topic...Sid's been Sid, right down to the chippy stuff. I'm ecstatic.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadw0n306 View Post
He's getting a hat trick tonight.
Well he was going to, but you just had to say it.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Ugene Malkin
Experience & VooDoo

Can't complain and wait until he gets even more comfortable with the crew around him.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:28 PM
66-29-33

Maybe i'm just used to not seeing him anymore but his passing seems to be not as good as i remember. It's still pretty good, but i don't find it his usual epic type. I guess over time it will come back. ALso his puck luck is not here, always bouncing off his stick, or shooting it off the post. Needs time to work this stuff over, he's been gone for 10 months.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:31 PM

I know someone said his skating is back to 100% but I had forgotten just how strong he can be on his skates. He's doing better than I would have expected. May it continue.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
He's getting better with his shot, which will take time I mean, he has been off for around 9 months. He'll be back to his best soon but 9 points in 4 games in insane. 10th point tonight?

Old
11-29-2011, 05:34 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I agree but I don't see how Bylsma is "giddy" to change the lines. If he was why hasn't he simply done it? It's not like he has to wait on anyone.
He's publicly spoken about what he wants to do with the lineup twice this week. And he has already done it. He does it a lot during games.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:35 PM
sparxx87

Wait, Crosby is back from his concussion?

Old
11-29-2011, 05:39 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Yeah, I missed that. I thought he deserved one there, but just sort of wrote it off. Nice to see!

On topic...Sid's been Sid, right down to the chippy stuff. I'm ecstatic.
That's really the only part I was thinking might not be there right away, but it seems as though not rushing him back has given him full confidence in his health.

Love seeing that he's just as chippy as always. Underrated part of his game.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:46 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
He's publicly spoken about what he wants to do with the lineup twice this week. And he has already done it. He does it a lot during games.
All right well I guess those'll be the lines going forward.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:48 PM
RR1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
Has he exceeded your expectations or is this what you expected? Or have you somehow inexplicably been disappointed? What has surprised you about his play thus far?

I would claim to be the biggest Sid fan there is, but I gotta admit I have been extremely impressed and frankly surprised at how well he has played. I was expecting him to be noticeably rusty and maybe a slightly, slightly gun-shy, afraid of going into the corners. I figured we were being a bit homerish when most people here were confident he would return the same player, especially immediately (although a few months ago, during that big press conference, when Sid said definitively said he would be the same player, that gave me confidence). A major part of his game that distinguishes him from a lot of other skilled guys is his being tenacious in the corners and in front of the net (ie four line grinder mentality with top line skill). I was worried that might change even just a bit. But that hasn’t been the case at all, not even a tiny bit. Awesome to see. In fact, I might argue that I would want him to be a bit less chippy out there, a little more cautious. But the results speak for themselves. There have been a few minor instances where I maybe could see some rust in terms of his puck handling, but overall he has exceeded my expectations significantly.

IMO, this has been awesome to watch and we should really appreciate and recognize how amazing it is that he’s come back and played like this. That first game back was legendary.
I have to say that he has exactly met what I expected from him, and I expected a lot. When he said he wasn't coming back until he was 100% we had to know he meant it in every sense possible, meaning not just his health, but also his conditioning and game readiness. I honestly would have been more surprised had he returned and not been ready. Sid is a world class athlete, probably the best pure athlete in the NHL, and as such he knows his body inside and out and knows what he needs to do to be at the level he wants to be. When he said he wasn't returning until he was at that level, I trusted him.

That said, just because I expected it doesn't make his return and world-class play since returning any less impressive. As you said, his first game back was a thing of legend, almost on a level with Lemieux's return from retirement in December of 2000. That Sid has returned from 11 months away from the NHL and immediately reclaimed his spot as the NHL's top talent is immensely impressive and should not be overlooked. And I have to say too that if there is a more deserving candidate for the Masterton trophy for the 2011-2012 season, I don't know who it might be.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1800
He looks dangerous almost every time he's on the ice. His timing seems a bit off (for him), but that's a minor complaint. Otherwise, he looks great out there.

He's exceeded my expectations for how he'd perform upon his return. I figured there'd be some rust and it would take him a dozen games to round into form, but he's been great from pretty much the first shift back.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Something's off. He has the typical rust, timing isn't perfect, conditioning isn't up to his amazing standards.

But the way he's playing is definitely different. People have been mentioning it, but I think it was really obvious this game. He's defaulting to his backhand CONSTANTLY. Does he have any points on the forehand? I almost want to make up some ******** about him subconsciously shifting his back around to shield his head.

I think it's purely a mental thing. I'm hoping that once the new year rolls around he'll get back to how he was last season. I want to see him snipe one again.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:13 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
His timing seems a bit off (for him), but that's a minor complaint.
I agree he looks rusty - especially when the puck is in his feet. He also looks tired after 5 games in 8 nights.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Shirai Ryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I agree he looks rusty - especially when the puck is in his feet. He also looks tired after 5 games in 8 nights.
Yet he still produced 2 points...

He can`t have 4 points every night.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
FDBluth

Tonight was his worst game so far, but he still managed to create enough to get a few points. Didn't touch the puck a whole lot. All he needs is a second with the puck and an open man on the other side of the ice to bury you. He still needs to get back to creating shots for himself, but part of that lies with the team, too. When he was scoring all of those goals last year, a lot of it had to do with his teammates hitting him with speed in the neutral zone on the breakout. They haven't been doing that consistently yet.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Saku11

Shoot!!

Old
11-29-2011, 10:22 PM
ThisYearsModel

I think he is pretty good.

Old
11-29-2011, 10:32 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Yet he still produced 2 points...

He can`t have 4 points every night.
No goals in the last 4 games tho. And there have been a lot of chances he would have scored on before the injury. He also looks a little lost at times and he lacks chemistry with his linemates.

All of that can be fixed with more playing time.

Old
11-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think it's going to take him a month or two to get his game anywhere near where it was the past couple seasons. It's only been a little over a week to this point. He's still such a pure point getter that he winds up on the stat sheet most nights though. Shows you how great he really is.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:13 AM
66-29-33

http://gyazo.com/1adac80111086f219ef16d43e4bd6ab3

Ha! Take a look at this, notice the bottom and the games played. 9 assists in 5 games compared to 9 assists in 21, 24, etc games.

Closed Thread