HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Tennessean: Luxury tax makes more sense in NHL

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2004, 10:03 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
The Tennessean: Luxury tax makes more sense in NHL

Quote:
From the Tennessean:
The NHL owners say they want to level the ice.

Be careful for what you wish. A salary cap (OK, commissioner, cost certainty) is exactly what the NHL does not need.

More than any other pro sports league, the NHL must have one, two or more teams that are willing to throw around money like drunken sailors and secure the best talent available, regardless of cost.

It's good for business when Detroit pours $77 million worth of players onto the ice, as was the case last season. Every neighborhood needs a bully.

Luxury tax makes more sense in NHL

Old
09-17-2004, 10:05 AM
SmokeyClause

I sent Climer the following email...

You really should put a disclaimer on your article. It should read, "the following opinion is unqualified, ignorant, unfounded, and has little basis in fact/reasonable thought". Your argument could be refuted by an ape trained by the NHL owners. You cannot ignore hockey 364 days of the year and then just step in and act like Brian Burke and tell the league what to do on the 365th. For the same reason I don't tell marathoners what to do, you shouldn't be preaching about hockey. Just remember your paper's credo, "hockey is a niche sport and it's not worth following". That'll save you some ink. It'll atleast spare the Nashville public an article that holds less weight than the actual paper it's printed on.

Old
09-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause

You really should put a disclaimer on your article. It should read, "the following opinion is unqualified, ignorant, unfounded, and has little basis in fact/reasonable thought". Your argument could be refuted by an ape trained by the NHL owners. You cannot ignore hockey 364 days of the year and then just step in and act like Brian Burke and tell the league what to do on the 365th. For the same reason I don't tell marathoners what to do, you shouldn't be preaching about hockey. Just remember your paper's credo, "hockey is a niche sport and it's not worth following". That'll save you some ink. It'll atleast spare the Nashville public an article that holds less weight than the actual paper it's printed on.
Great response Smokey!

Old
09-17-2004, 10:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

couldn't have said it better myself.

Old
09-17-2004, 10:44 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

:gman:

Old
09-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

He is an idiot, and the article proves it. he doesn't seem to understand that our window of opputunity will be 1 maybe 2 years while teams like the Dead things can draft atrociously, grossly overpay players making it impossible for the smaller market teams to compete in the FA market, and still make it to the Cup finals with near ease.

Why does the Tennessean even print things from writers, who don't follow hockey, and have no idea what they are talking about??!?! Its in the best interest of Nashville to KEEP the Predators, as it adds so much more revenue!

09-18-2004, 09:20 AM
PredsMan

I actually sent him an e-mail last nite,

I was a little more specific in countering his arguments.

People of his ilk, and alot of fairly knowledgeable hockey fans seem to miss the big problem with the CBA:

It's not that you can't field a competitive team, or compete for the cup in any given year with a relatively small payroll...it's what happens AFTER you experience that success. Your home-grown, blossoming team all of a sudden wants the fat checks that the overpaying teams hand out. Case in point: Preds make the playoffs with lowest payroll in league. It jumps 41% just to re-sign the players we had...not counting the ones we let walk.

I would give you the stats on Calgary & Tampa's payroll, but the NHLPA has taken all the player salaries down, with a statement of "NHLPA members do not receive compensation from their club or the league during the owner's lockout."

Old
09-18-2004, 09:25 AM
PredsMan

Actually, the salaris are there...a couple of guys I know are signed said $000, but there are too many key players still unsigned to make a decent argument.

Old
09-18-2004, 02:48 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:

Right on

Old
09-18-2004, 04:29 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
I sent the bum an email too.

"Jeremy Roenick once told the NHL to wake up; now it's my turn to tell you to wake up"

Old
09-18-2004, 07:27 PM
SmokeyClause

I want to also say that it is not his argument of a luxury tax that I reject so wholeheartedly. Though I do disagree with a luxury tax, I respect those who feel that way. I am dumbfounded by his logic for a luxury tax. It's as if the Tennessean drew his name out of a hat (along with Biddle, Woody, and a few others) and told them to write an article about the NHL situation to be published the next day. It's so poorly thought out that it's scary. Even Luxury tax supporters would disagree with his logic. There are plenty of valid reasons to support the luxury tax, and he managed to dodge every one of them.

Old
09-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
As compromises go, luxury tax would be the way to go. The players aren't budging on not having a cap, but it seems like the owners would be the first to break and just go with the tax. Either way, I'd like to see hockey this season, but at the same time fix the problem so it won't come back for a long long time either.

Closed Thread