Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty confused with suspension

Old
11-29-2011, 07:13 PM
BoyntBergie

vCash: 500
If he's as dumb as he looks then he's likely confused by a lot.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Mainehockey33

I bet Chara could straighten things out for him

Mainehockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Soderberg

I'm confused by his confusion.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
It feels like cancer in my fingers as I type this, but he's kind of right.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Johnnyduke

I don't have a problem with a lot of what he said. The one thing I'd say to him is, you're still allowed to hit Letang in that situation. You're just not allowed to hit him in the head. It's a rather simple message, no? And I have no problem with arguing that Shanahan hasn't been consistent.

My problem with Shanahan is if he really did compare it to Matt Cooke on Savard. At least with Pacioretty's hit, Letang saw him as he crossed the blue line with the puck. To me, it was nowhere near Cooke on Savard.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
the problem, I suppose anyways, is that he and Letang made eye contact before so Letang knew the hit was coming and put his head in a shooting position anyways, and that Max was going for a shoulder to shoulder hit that ended up hitting mostly head because of the height difference at the moment of impact

so the question becomes, do you just avoid that hit all together now? Do you use your forearms to make sure you don't make contact with the head?
You avoid hitting the head.

Not all that complicated.

Pacioretty comes off as a dbag. I could understand if he felt 3 games was too long, but he's got so much conflicting garbage about what happened and all the other people that are to blame for making him confused ("all the coaches I've ever had told me to make that hit", I don't have many hits this year because I'm unsure when players will turn, the onus can't be on me completely because he took a shot which changed his body position. . . blah blah blah). Stand up like a man and take the suspension like a professional.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:34 PM
howaryuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
From videos I've seen, it looks to me that the league's interpretation of the rule, is that the principal point of contact isn't necessarily the initial point of contact. If the hitter makes contact in such a way that his elbow or arm rides up, and makes contact with the face, it is an illegal hit. That's what makes hits like this illegal. There's nothing wrong with hitting a guy on open ice like this, as long as the hitter either keeps that arm down (not always easy, with the momentum) or just makes sure that his torso is the main point of contact rather than the arm, so that most contact is with the midsection, rather than riding up towards the head. At least, that's what it seems to me. This should not be confusing to Max. He made a last second adjustment to put that arm forward; it may have been reflex rather intentional, but nevertheless it then became an illegal hit.
+1. Message from the league; hit low, stay low.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post

Pacioretty comes off as a dbag. I could understand if he felt 3 games was too long, but he's got so much conflicting garbage about what happened and all the other people that are to blame for making him confused ("all the coaches I've ever had told me to make that hit", I don't have many hits this year because I'm unsure when players will turn, the onus can't be on me completely because he took a shot which changed his body position. . . blah blah blah). Stand up like a man and take the suspension like a professional.
Or at least, at his young age, let someone else do the fighting for you...like your captain/coach, etc.

Old
11-29-2011, 07:37 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post

see, but that's the problem right there. It is complicated. If you're allowed to hit a guy coming over the blue line in the high slot ready to take a shot, it's not that easy just completely avoiding his head when going for a shoulder to shoulder hit with the various height differences in this league, at that speed.

KnightofBoston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
see, but that's the problem right there. It is complicated. If you're allowed to hit a guy coming over the blue line in the high slot ready to take a shot, it's not that easy just completely avoiding his head when going for a shoulder to shoulder hit with the various height differences in this league, at that speed.
In this particular incident, Letang was in the process of finishing his shot. He didn't do anything unusual IMO other than the normal process of shooting the puck. That's why I think the onus is on Pacioretty here.

Old
11-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

His nose got broken, hence a head shot.

End of discussion.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
the problem, I suppose anyways, is that he and Letang made eye contact before so Letang knew the hit was coming and put his head in a shooting position anyways, and that Max was going for a shoulder to shoulder hit that ended up hitting mostly head because of the height difference at the moment of impact

so the question becomes, do you just avoid that hit all together now? Do you use your forearms to make sure you don't make contact with the head?
As Shanahan pointed out, Pacioretty shifted his weight to his right leg, which gave him better access to Letang's head. If he had stayed on a straight line, the contact would have been with the torso.

It's not rocket science. Johnny Boychuk delivers textbook open ice hits, and I have yet to see him hit someone in the head, even though he's a fairly tall guy. It's not that hard to avoid the head - it's that big lump of fat four feet above the ***.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Hey Pacioretty watch the Penguins game and you will notice that Letang isn't playing, now that's confusing especially after he came back and got the game winner against you

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:49 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
In this particular incident, Letang was in the process of finishing his shot. He didn't do anything unusual IMO other than the normal process of shooting the puck. That's why I think the onus is on Pacioretty here.
I generally agree, I don't mean to make it seem like Max isn't at fault, he is, and I expected him to get a few games, I just think this kind of thing is still going to be a problem until they take all the varying situations into account.

KnightofBoston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
I generally agree, I don't mean to make it seem like Max isn't at fault, he is, and I expected him to get a few games, I just think this kind of thing is still going to be a problem until they take all the varying situations into account.
Agreed...no doubt about it.

Old
11-29-2011, 08:03 PM
RussellmaniaKW

This hit is just like the Cooke/Savard hit with the only difference being that Letang saw the hit coming, which doesn't make the hit any less illegal.

In both cases, the player getting hit was just following through on a shot, and the attacker came across perpendicular to them and hit the victim square in the head. I'm absolutely shocked to find anyone defending Pacioretty in this situation given how much hate there is here for Matt Cooke.

Pacioretty is a punk, and it's unfortunate that the Chara hit overshadowed that fact for a lot of people.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
This hit is just like the Cooke/Savard hit with the only difference being that Letang saw the hit coming
IMO, this alone makes the incidents very different.

Old
11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Number8

If only the art of the hipcheck hadn't been lost. Pacioretty was in prime position to make Letang do a cartwheel and get on every ESPN/TSN highlight for a week (not that he didn't anyway ).

It's not easy. Making that hit in open ice when someone is taking a shot is just about guaranteeing some sort of contact with the head. I think you'll see more players leading with a sort of modified cross check in those instances. Tuck the stick in close to your body and rock the guy in the chest/shoulder so the hitters shoulder doesn't ride up into the head.

Not perfect, but something will change. Players will not give shooters a free pass -- and to the defense of Pacioretty he does have a point there.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Johnnyduke

Nobody is suggesting give shooters a free pass. I actually think this incident is the exception rather than the rule in that think of how many shots are taken on a nightly basis. They don't all result in the shooter getting hit in the head. In fact, it still very rarely happens.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:04 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Pacioretty is a whiny little puke.

How tough is it to comprehend that you can't hit somebody in the head? Forget intent, and all that bologna ... Keep it simple. You can't prove intent. What you can prove is when a player drills another player in the head, which is exactly what "Patches" did.

"Patches", by the way, may be the worst nickname I've ever heard. Sounds like a sick, mangy old mutt that needs to be put down

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
"Patches", by the way, may be the worst nickname I've ever heard. Sounds like a sick, mangy old mutt that needs to be put down
Hey, go easy there. I think it's a fine name.... one might go so far as to call it "cute" in a sort of retro way

"Hey Patches, golly gee that was a darn shame about your suspension".

"Thanks Gomer...... I sure do feel bad about what I did, but gee wizz, what's a guy to do?"

"We still love you Patches"

"Hey thanks PK, you're the swellest teammates a guy could wish for"

"NO YOU'RE THE BEST PATCHES. EVERYBODY. LET'S DO A HIP HIP HOORAY FOR PATCHES, OK?"

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:27 PM
MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Not worth it.

MasqueOfTheRedDeath* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
If only the art of the hipcheck hadn't been lost. Pacioretty was in prime position to make Letang do a cartwheel and get on every ESPN/TSN highlight for a week (not that he didn't anyway ).

It's not easy. Making that hit in open ice when someone is taking a shot is just about guaranteeing some sort of contact with the head. I think you'll see more players leading with a sort of modified cross check in those instances. Tuck the stick in close to your body and rock the guy in the chest/shoulder so the hitters shoulder doesn't ride up into the head.

Not perfect, but something will change. Players will not give shooters a free pass -- and to the defense of Pacioretty he does have a point there.
Nor should they. I don't want to see this game become a no-contact sport. I'm not sure if it was the rise of Scott Stevens as a feared hitter, or really when it started. But somewhere along the line, guys started lining up their shoulder w/ the other dude's face. And now it's accepted.

Like you say, where did the hip check go? Well it's simply easier, and far less risky to yourself positionally in open ice, to bury the guy w/ basically a full body punch to the chin while he's totally oblivious to what's coming.

Look at Patches, he's acting as if he had no other option there in terms of throwing a check. That's the part I don't get. Yeah, the game got faster, players bigger, equipment lighter and better in regard to protection. But the headshot move isn't the only way to throw a check.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:48 PM
remer

Pure stupidity by a Hab. Sounds very familiar. Cry about everybody else. Cry about the Chara hit, cry about the Lucic hit, forget the Savard, forget the Paille hit, but still blame boston for all of there troubles.
How can he justify a head shot when he broke Letang's nose.
Yes, "Patches" you are purely a stupid Hab.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:54 PM
NHRonin

The best part of this entire situation, is the uproar amongst Habs' fans. The TSN boards are flooded with pissed off messages about how Chara and Lucic get away with "murder" yet a Canadians player is targeted for suspension.

They seemingly continue to ignore the four games Paille got last year and he's a far cleaner guy with zero history compared to Pacioretty.

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote