Notices

Pacioretty confused with suspension

Old
11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

vCash: 500
BRUIN GODS UP IN THE SKY!

So Patches makes fun of Marchand's nose.....later gets suspended for breaking Letang's nose!

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Saw a troll with this avatar

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:07 PM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
As Shanahan pointed out, Pacioretty shifted his weight to his right leg, which gave him better access to Letang's head. If he had stayed on a straight line, the contact would have been with the torso.

It's not rocket science. Johnny Boychuk delivers textbook open ice hits, and I have yet to see him hit someone in the head, even though he's a fairly tall guy. It's not that hard to avoid the head - it's that big lump of fat four feet above the ***.

Not to split hairs over it, but Boychuk probably would've gotten at least 4 games for this hit in the 2011-2012 NHL.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:58 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post

Not to split hairs over it, but Boychuk probably would've gotten at least 4 games for this hit in the 2011-2012 NHL.
1:43 has the best angle of that. Boychuk is already stepping up to hit him as Stajan is making a turn as he passes the puck. It looks to me that while the shoulder is targeted, the head is also nailed at the same time. IMO, that's a tough call to make in regards to today's rulings. We see the arm and elbow of Boychuk make contact with Stajan's shoulder, but because Stajan is skating so low to the ice, his head makes contact with Boychuk's shoulder at the same time.

In other news, I hope Stajan has learned to keep his head up. That kid has been blasted with some huge hits in the past couple of seasons.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:15 PM
unifiedtheory

If he hit him shoulder to shoulder he would be in the high lights instead of getting suspended.

This is not about the "wussification" of the sport. This is about guys not going head hunting. You don't have to head hunt to hit someone. The goal of hitting in hockey is to separate your opponent from the puck and intimidation. You don't need to knock a guy out cold to intimidate someone.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:37 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
IMO, this alone makes the incidents very different.
Care to explain how?

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
The best part of this entire situation, is the uproar amongst Habs' fans. The TSN boards are flooded with pissed off messages about how Chara and Lucic get away with "murder" yet a Canadians player is targeted for suspension.

They seemingly continue to ignore the four games Paille got last year and he's a far cleaner guy with zero history compared to Pacioretty.
Who's Paille? /Habs fan

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:19 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Nor should they. I don't want to see this game become a no-contact sport. I'm not sure if it was the rise of Scott Stevens as a feared hitter, or really when it started. But somewhere along the line, guys started lining up their shoulder w/ the other dude's face. And now it's accepted.

Like you say, where did the hip check go? Well it's simply easier, and far less risky to yourself positionally in open ice, to bury the guy w/ basically a full body punch to the chin while he's totally oblivious to what's coming.

Look at Patches, he's acting as if he had no other option there in terms of throwing a check. That's the part I don't get. Yeah, the game got faster, players bigger, equipment lighter and better in regard to protection. But the headshot move isn't the only way to throw a check.
I know stevens is in the hall of fame but his hits back in the day i felt where dirty as hell. **** look at the 60's, 70, 80's there weren't too many instances of severe head shots (I know less players wearing helmet) but the NHL couldn't sell hit videos without some clear headshots.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
Care to explain how?
Letang saw Pacioretty as he crossed the blue line with the puck. I don't believe Savard ever saw Cooke.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:11 PM
seemlessglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think he's confused because he wanted to play for WJC.

Here's link the video:

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip576548

Let the montreal bashing ensue. lol
This guy is a total knucklehead. Confused? How about stupid. The league is GOING to suspend anyone that makes contact to the head with a raised elbow.

seemlessglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:22 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
Letang saw Pacioretty as he crossed the blue line with the puck. I don't believe Savard ever saw Cooke.
Yes, I know that, but maybe I misunderstood you...you said that makes the situations different, and I don't understand how.

I don't think the fact that Letang saw/felt the hit coming makes the hit any less dirty and I also think Pacioretty would have still lit him up if he'd been on his blind side. The hit was very nearly as dirty as Cooke's hit. Letang's expectation in that situation is that he will probably get hit to get his shot off, but he has a reasonable expectation that it will be a clean hit, so the onus is not on him to avoid a dirty hit.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
I know stevens is in the hall of fame but his hits back in the day i felt where dirty as hell. **** look at the 60's, 70, 80's there weren't too many instances of severe head shots (I know less players wearing helmet) but the NHL couldn't sell hit videos without some clear headshots.
I saw Stevens as an opportunist. He'd see a guy preoccupied w/ his defense partner, and come in like a bowling ball. Going shoulder to head just wasn't in the rules, it was considered legal. Darius Kasparitus (sp.) was another guy who if he saw you w/ your head down, would plant his shoulder into your face. He even made Mario leave the game, what a meanie. Even Messier, for all the greatness he's revered for, was a head hunter and sometimes flat out dirty.

But I'm not buying the, "guys are afraid to hit" stuff. At least in the sense that these guys have no other option but to come in w/ the shoulder the way they are. Cut the **** w/ the head shots. There's other ways to throw a hit, they're just more risky and less spectacular. But, I do believe guys are certainly becoming more reluctant to lay the body. Look at Chara.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:28 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemlessglass View Post
This guy is a total knucklehead. Confused? How about stupid. The league is GOING to suspend anyone that makes contact to the head with a raised elbow.
Must be cognitive problems resulting from the 'concussion' he received last year from the evil Zdeno Chara.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:27 PM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Must be cognitive problems resulting from the 'concussion' he received last year from the evil Zdeno Chara.
I thought that, myself. LOL

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:04 PM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
If he hit him shoulder to shoulder he would be in the high lights instead of getting suspended.

This is not about the "wussification" of the sport. This is about guys not going head hunting. You don't have to head hunt to hit someone. The goal of hitting in hockey is to separate your opponent from the puck and intimidation. You don't need to knock a guy out cold to intimidate someone.
Exactly, he clearly went up high to the head for the knockout. You see when he put out his arm/elbow up high right before contact. He knew what he was doing..

Last edited by BklyNBruiN: 11-30-2011 at 04:13 PM.
BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:12 PM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not sure why I'm not able to view embedded videos or post the video on here thread..?

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Johnnymac

Pacioretty is confused because he has been getting away with he cheap shots for so long, his punk ways came to light when he gave Chara that shot in the back when he scored against the bruins

Johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
sooshii
Living the dream

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
I'm not sure why I'm not able to view embedded videos or post the video on here thread..?
you only needed eRiqKUG0A8A? in the YT tag.

sooshii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Drury77

Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
Clearly elbow to head....period...whether he intended to hurt him or not it's still a headshot....PERIOD!!

11-30-2011, 05:37 PM
JOKER 192

As Shanahan stated in his video the onus is on both players including the puck carrier,the problem is although he see's Patches he dicides he's going to absorb the hit to make the play, only problem here is he's not expecting that hit to be on his nose,yes the onus is on the player and he's obviously willing to pay the price but that doesn't allow you to make his head the primary target ,what's confusing about that Max?

JOKER 192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Lemons

As a habs fan props to some of you giving educated answers followed by some kind of logic. There some obvious doorknobs in this thread, but regardless, i believe there was disciplinary action that needed to be taken. Regardless of what the evidence pointed out.

I understand where he was coming from though.

Letang comes over the blue line.
Keeping his back arched (lowering his center of gravity) therefore lowering his head.
Sees MaxPac skating towards him.
Takes a shot, which he looks at, which puts his lowered head and the first point of contact from an incoming hit from patches.
Patches hits him.
Letang's nose goes niagara falls.

Its the same concept most Bruins fans have on the Miller hit.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
As a habs fan props to some of you giving educated answers followed by some kind of logic. There some obvious doorknobs in this thread, but regardless, i believe there was disciplinary action that needed to be taken. Regardless of what the evidence pointed out.

I understand where he was coming from though.

Letang comes over the blue line.
Keeping his back arched (lowering his center of gravity) therefore lowering his head.
Sees MaxPac skating towards him.
Takes a shot, which he looks at, which puts his lowered head and the first point of contact from an incoming hit from patches.
Patches hits him.
Letang's nose goes niagara falls.

Its the same concept most Bruins fans have on the Miller hit.
Except Lucic didn't hit Miller in the head.

So much for that.

Old
11-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Except Lucic didn't hit Miller in the head.

So much for that.
... really...

you dont understand the point of when i said its similar to the miller hit in the sense that Patches, just like Lucic DID NOT HAVE TIME TO REACT.

And i stated, it still warrants a suspension (becuase it was a hit the to head, Lucic DID not get one). But i understand the confusion.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:36 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
The Habs are right, there is a conspiracyy.

Why did Paille get four for the exact same play?

I wish someone would investigate this for eight months.

^....all of this

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
... really...

you dont understand the point of when i said its similar to the miller hit in the sense that Patches, just like Lucic DID NOT HAVE TIME TO REACT.

And i stated, it still warrants a suspension (becuase it was a hit the to head, Lucic DID not get one). But i understand the confusion.
Pacioretty had time to react - in fact, as Shanahan pointed out in the video - he had time to shift his weight to his right leg before hitting Letang in the head. The weight shift was the difference, and it was deliberate.