Old
11-30-2011, 09:00 PM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
... really...

you dont understand the point of when i said its similar to the miller hit in the sense that Patches, just like Lucic DID NOT HAVE TIME TO REACT.

And i stated, it still warrants a suspension (becuase it was a hit the to head, Lucic DID not get one). But i understand the confusion.
Pacioretty had time to react and so did Lucic. While I could have seen Looch getting suspended for an illegal hit, what Patches did is EXACTLY what the league is looking at to get out of the league. While not many would say the league is encouraging contact with the goalie, it's not exactly a focal point now.

For the record, I think Pacioretty is a good player and isn't dirty (and wasn't meaning to hurt Letang here), he was just stupid and did something that's OBVIOUSLY not allowed. He really should just keep his mouth shut and take the suspension for what it is. Learn from it...don't pretend to be "confused" and try to turn the tables back on the guy who gave out the suspension. He did the wrong thing, and he just needs to accept it (which he has half done by his apologies directly to Letang).

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
Yes, I know that, but maybe I misunderstood you...you said that makes the situations different, and I don't understand how.

I don't think the fact that Letang saw/felt the hit coming makes the hit any less dirty and I also think Pacioretty would have still lit him up if he'd been on his blind side. The hit was very nearly as dirty as Cooke's hit. Letang's expectation in that situation is that he will probably get hit to get his shot off, but he has a reasonable expectation that it will be a clean hit, so the onus is not on him to avoid a dirty hit.
Trust me, I'm not defending Pacioretty. He's absolutely at fault and deserved a suspension. I just think the fact that Letang probably expected to get hit whereas I don't think Savard did is what makes Cooke's hit so much worse. Cooke never should have hit Savard at all. Pacioretty was right to hit Letang, he just did it the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
Pacioretty had time to react and so did Lucic. While I could have seen Looch getting suspended for an illegal hit, what Patches did is EXACTLY what the league is looking at to get out of the league. While not many would say the league is encouraging contact with the goalie, it's not exactly a focal point now.

For the record, I think Pacioretty is a good player and isn't dirty (and wasn't meaning to hurt Letang here), he was just stupid and did something that's OBVIOUSLY not allowed. He really should just keep his mouth shut and take the suspension for what it is. Learn from it...don't pretend to be "confused" and try to turn the tables back on the guy who gave out the suspension. He did the wrong thing, and he just needs to accept it (which he has half done by his apologies directly to Letang).
Completely agree. Pacioretty needs to let others do the fighting for him, like his teammates and coaches.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:28 AM
spokedB

A good or bad hit, it shouldn't matter. Questioning the league publicly in what amounts to a lengthy whine does. Publicly, a professional accepts and moves on.

Only in the past couple of weeks have the Montreal authorities "cleared" Chara for a hit made on Paciatory. That makes the whole thing sound like the refrain from Sha Na Na's song Charlie Brown. The Habs have fallen a long way since the days when they were an incredible team. The "everyone's always pickin' on me" refrain is not a substitute for NHL level hockey or professionalism when league discipline is handed down..

spokedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 07:44 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post

Bang on. Well said.

What is there to be confused about Max? The league says don't hit people in the head. If the confusion comes because you don't understand why you're being suspended and someone else got off scott free then you're missing the point! DON'T HIT PEOPLE IN THE HEAD plain and simple.

The players can complain all they want about the way the league handles things with their decisions. You don't like it? Then don't put yourself in a situation they have to handle. Simple as that.

On a side note: My stock in tin foil has gone up 500 points. Apparently the Montreal area just can't get enough of it.

Last edited by IrishPaulie: 12-01-2011 at 08:10 AM.
IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Nobody likes whiners ! League should give him a extra 3 games and tell him to shut his mouth.

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:24 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
The Habs are right, there is a conspiracyy.

Why did Paille get four for the exact same play?

I wish someone would investigate this for eight months.

This, in spades.

I said the same thing on the MTL board and they completely ignored it. The Pax hit and the Paille hit on Sawada were nearly identical. Player coming over the blue line into the offensive zone, guys comes in from the side and hits him in the head. If you look at the two hits, Pax's actually looks more deliberate than Paille's "follow through" style hit, and he got less games. He should consider himself lucky because I thought the league was supposed to be escalating penalties on these hits as time went on, not giving out lesser penalties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
the problem, I suppose anyways, is that he and Letang made eye contact before so Letang knew the hit was coming and put his head in a shooting position anyways, and that Max was going for a shoulder to shoulder hit that ended up hitting mostly head because of the height difference at the moment of impact

so the question becomes, do you just avoid that hit all together now? Do you use your forearms to make sure you don't make contact with the head?
No offense, but I think this is BS. I saw a lot of Habs fans defending Pax with this line of reasoning and I just don't see it. I watched the video about 20 times, and there is no evidence that Letang made eye contact, just that he had his head up and looked like he was trying to see where everybody was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post

Not to split hairs over it, but Boychuk probably would've gotten at least 4 games for this hit in the 2011-2012 NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
I'm not sure why I'm not able to view embedded videos or post the video on here thread..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
you only needed eRiqKUG0A8A? in the YT tag.

What hit?

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem besides me and Brook, but I cannot see the video, or embed videos on this board of late either (maybe I'm on probation, lol). I have embedded YouTube videos in the past and know the procedure, but it has not worked of late no matter how I paste it. Maybe it's something in my browser settings? Mozilla is constantly updating with new patches or maybe I accidentally changed something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
As a habs fan props to some of you giving educated answers followed by some kind of logic. There some obvious doorknobs in this thread, but regardless, i believe there was disciplinary action that needed to be taken. Regardless of what the evidence pointed out.

I understand where he was coming from though.

Letang comes over the blue line.
Keeping his back arched (lowering his center of gravity) therefore lowering his head.
Sees MaxPac skating towards him.
Takes a shot, which he looks at, which puts his lowered head and the first point of contact from an incoming hit from patches.

Patches hits him.
Letang's nose goes niagara falls.

Its the same concept most Bruins fans have on the Miller hit.
Not sure if you play hockey or not, but Letang did not do anything unusual or out of the ordinary when he came over the line and took that shot. If he did it 1000 times, it probably would have looked exactly the same 999 times. Unless you are trying to look off the goalie and surprise him with a quick shot (and this was clearly not the case here), you never have your head up in the act of shooting.

Letang putting his head while shooting is the norm, and should in know way be used as an "excuse" for why Pax caught him in the nose. Shooters have been doing that for decades before Pax was even born so there is no reason why this act should come as some sort of surprise.

As far as the Miller hit goes, the two are incredibly dissimilar and a bad comparison. As some other poster said, I think both guys could have avoided the hit, the primary differences were that Lucic hit Miller head on and that it was shoulder to chest (not head/nose).

If you want to see a nearly identical hit, look up the Paille hit on Sawada. Paille got 4 games for that, so Pax's suspension could actually be deemed a little low.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:11 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstanley View Post
Nobody likes whiners ! League should give him a extra 3 games and tell him to shut his mouth.
^THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It used to be that the Habs would always get the extra call at the Bell Center... wait a sec, they still do. So, if one time, it doesn't go peachy-keano wonderful as far as a league ruling, the player should shut his yap and deal with it. When Paille got suspending, Andrew Ferrence got up and said he deserved it. How many Habs players have said the same thing ? Many of the fans were mad he got suspended but accepted it. How many Habs fans have accepted it ? You get the idea. If the Montreal Canadians want to be accepted as major league NHL franchise with major league fans, the crabbing and complaining, the whining and diving have to stop. Of course, we have a bunch of other teams with the same problem, but it shows up more when it's the oldest and most respected (yeah, I can't believe I'm typing this either) team in the NHL, it brings the reputation of the league down about 10 notches.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:16 PM
GinoCyber*

Most of us hab fans have no problem with the suspension. The only problem we have is with the consistency of the calls around the league.

Yes Pac and Paille deserved the suspension. But if you take a look at Malone on Campoli during the exhibition games and the most recent, Jostin on Versteeg, both of these got no suspensions. I think we can agree that consistency is a huge issue and Shanny hasn't really made it any better? All he is doing is breaking down the plays with too much assumptions as to what the hitter is thinking & analyzing illegal plays that occur in the fraction of a second under real time at super fast speed.

A headshot is a headshot regardless of the intent, just like high sticking. Trying to convince people that if the hitter had moved over 1 degree to the left while the "victim" lowered his head with 1/10 of a second before the impact is nuts.

GC

GinoCyber* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoCYber View Post
Most of us hab fans have no problem with the suspension. The only problem we have is with the consistency of the calls around the league.

Yes Pac and Paille deserved the suspension. But if you take a look at Malone on Campoli during the exhibition games and the most recent, Jostin on Versteeg, both of these got no suspensions. I think we can agree that consistency is a huge issue and Shanny hasn't really made it any better? All he is doing is breaking down the plays with too much assumptions as to what the hitter is thinking & analyzing illegal plays that occur in the fraction of a second under real time at super fast speed.

A headshot is a headshot regardless of the intent, just like high sticking. Trying to convince people that if the hitter had moved over 1 degree to the left while the "victim" lowered his head with 1/10 of a second before the impact is nuts.

GC
And these situations have what to do with the Bruins, exactly? Yet 80% of the posts about this situation on your board references the Chara/Pacioretty hit or the Bruins in some way.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:32 PM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
And these situations have what to do with the Bruins, exactly? Yet 80% of the posts about this situation on your board references the Chara/Pacioretty hit or the Bruins in some way.
Because the Bruins are stuck in Habs fans heads like a case of Meningitis?

jgatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the Bruins per say. It just points out the inconsistency of the decisions rendered.

Old
12-01-2011, 04:07 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the Bruins per say. It just points out the inconsistency of the decisions rendered.
None of the bruins hits in question have much in common with what happened.

Z/Patches and Ference/Halpern were before Shanahan and therefore don't have much bearing. Lucic/Miller while it probably should have been a suspension in my mind, was not a head shot. So I don't get why the Bruins even get brought up in these discussions.

Old
12-01-2011, 04:07 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
no, it doenst.

it just points to a particular fan bases bias over their own player.

Those other 'incidents' were given proper explanation as to why there was no suspension, and most people agreed.

A montreal player, who just came back from a serious head injury of his own, just drilled someone else in the head.

this topic has nothing to do with Malone, Lucic or Chara.

The sooner other players and other hits that were not suspended are left out, the better.

If people want to question Shanahans ruling to date, maybe a seperate thread should be started concearing that.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:08 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
None of the bruins hits in question have much in common with what happened.

Z/Patches and Ference/Halpern were before Shanahan and therefore don't have much bearing. Lucic/Miller while it probably should have been a suspension in my mind, was not a head shot. So I don't get why the Bruins even get brought up in these discussions.
deflection, nothing more, nothing less.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:15 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
So I don't get why the Bruins even get brought up in these discussions.
Same reason why a habs player has his own 2 separate threads on your forum.

Old
12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hockey being discussed on a hockey forum?! Oh, the humanity! Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!

Old
12-01-2011, 04:23 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
Would you prefer us to discuss it on your board? We've discussed plenty of suspensions and non-suspensions on other teams. You're response also doesn't refute what I wrote.

None of the Bruins hits have anything to do with the Patches hit.

Old
12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
The league is changing, it can be hard to keep up.

side note...15 of the 30 posts on the first page are by users with Bruin avatars. Hmm...

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
Would you prefer us to discuss it on your board? We've discussed plenty of suspensions and non-suspensions on other teams.......

Sure, I have no problem with that.

Quote:
None of the Bruins hits have anything to do with the Patches hit.
I never said it did. All I said was that with all the suspensions and non suspensions going on these days, the difference between them, at least in most cases, is a fraction of a second. No human can change their course in a fraction of a second so why not just keep the rule simple just like high sticking and make all headshots accountable.

GC

Old
12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

side note...15 of the 30 posts on the first page are by users with Bruin avatars. Hmm...
And that's odd on the Bruins board because...?

Old
12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Yeah I didn't get that either. I think he forgot he was on the Bruins boards and not the main boards. hmmm

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:07 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

Pacioretty is confused by this post

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:09 PM
jgatie

Quote:
Just like when they go into other buildings and act like idiots, Habs fans think they are at home even when they are away.

jgatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:29 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
Just like when they go into other buildings and act like idiots, Habs fans think they are at home even when they are away.
Your post is just as off. It was a leafs fan that posted that comment not a habs fan

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote