HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy won both of the last 2 Habs cups

Old
11-29-2011, 08:35 PM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Patrick Roy won both of the last 2 Habs cups

When and do you think that Carey Price will do the same ?

I remember these two cups and am positive that Roy stole these cups.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Habs13

Montreal had pretty good teams those years, too, and don't forget they went to the cup final in 1989, too. It wasn't JUST Roy... Price, though, dosen't have the same sort of team around him. He gets the shrimps! He has Gomez and worse yet, has Jacques Martin and Pierre Gauthier to deal with.

I love Price... but he hasn't got the team around him to make anything happen.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

He won't do it until he recovers from his undiagnosed concussion.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:42 PM
ThaDevilGirl

What's a cup?

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:42 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Montreal had pretty good teams those years, too, and don't forget they went to the cup final in 1989, too. It wasn't JUST Roy... Price, though, dosen't have the same sort of team around him. He gets the shrimps! He has Gomez and worse yet, has Jacques Martin and Pierre Gauthier to deal with.

Actually if you ask anyone around the Habs organization and they will tell you that it was in fact Roy that stole both cups.

Old
11-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post

Probably when he gets a healthy team in front of him and things "click".

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Krnage

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
What's a cup?
u know....the last thing bruins win last summer

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:09 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:

Roy can win two more Cups with Carey Price..........if Molson is willing to see the present incompetent GM and Coach for what they are and bring Roy back into the fold either as GM and or Coach.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:13 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Roy can win two more Cups with Carey Price..........if Molson is willing to see the present incompetent GM and Coach for what they are and bring Roy back into the fold either as GM and or Coach.
Price would be traded for Bernier or Crawford if Roy was GM. How dare a goalie's favourite goalie not be him.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Price would be traded for Bernier or Crawford if Roy was GM. How dare a goalie's favourite goalie not be him.
You underestimate the desire to win that has driven Roy all of his life.

Roy-Price would be a winning combination.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
u know....the last thing bruins win last summer
You mean the thing Tim Thomas won last summer? Saying Roy singlehandedly won the cups ignoring the contributions of Muller, Damphousse, Bellows, Keane, Desjardins, and so on in 93 and Naslund, Lemieux, Carbo, etc in 86 is as fair as singlehandedly crediting Thomas last year.

Maybe the Bruins should replace Julien with Thomas.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Actually if you ask anyone around the Habs organization and they will tell you that it was in fact Roy that stole both cups.
Steal is a big word. He was the MVP, no doubt about it, but you got to give credit to the guys in front too. They weren't slouches.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Steal is a big word. He was the MVP, no doubt about it, but you got to give credit to the guys in front too. They weren't slouches.
I would kill for Damphousse or Naslund on this team right now. Or even Claude Lemieux.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Lshap

Roy was a generational talent. Unbelievable focus. I've never seen another goalie so totally driven to win at any cost. You could almost see the steam coming out of the guy's ears when he was mad, and at that moment the man became an unbeatable giant. Did he steal our Cups? No, he just made them a lot more possible. Remember -- our teams scored many more goals and had real depth of talent, even without superstar skaters. Roy tipped the scales in our favour, but so did Carbonneau, Gainey, Robinson, Smith, Naslund, Muller, LeClair, etc. Lots of big tippers on those two teams.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Bloumeister
Party like it's 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I would kill for Damphousse or Naslund on this team right now. Or even Claude Lemieux.
This.

2 pictures next to clutch in the dictionary:

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:33 PM
snakeye

I'm pretty sure Jean Perron was the main reason the habs won the cup in 86.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:35 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post

Err...did you watch the games? Or the regular season? The Habs weren't a powerhouse team. I would call them a rather middling above average team that had no real business winning the cup. And if you watched the playoffs, the Habs weren't a dominating team. They pretty much left him out to dry. Yes, on paper if you look at the names you would say they had a much better team...and I would agree with you but they sure shouldn't have won the cup. If it wasn't Roy who 'stole' the cup then it was a huge pile of luck that stole the cup because it sure wasn't a great dominating team that won the cup.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
I'm pretty sure Jean Perron was the main reason the habs won the cup in 86.
You're joking, of course. I met Perron the season following the Cup win and was unimpressed compared to a conversation I had with Scotty Bowman. Perron was a mediocre coach who benefited from the presence of smart, experienced, talented veterans who made some of his "decisions" for him on the ice. Of course, in addition to having the rookie Patrick Roy, the Habs were extremely lucky to have the Flames upset the Oilers through an own-goal ***** by one of their Dmen.

Does everyone realize how sharp Bowman was? Once an interviewer asked him which rule change made that year was the most significant. Everyone thought it would have to do with offsides or other on-ice events. To everyone's surprise he said it was the introduction of the television timeout. When asked why, he said it was because the extra rest permitted a coach to use his best unit after they had just finished their shift. Such a thought wouldn't have occurred to Perron in a million years.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Roy was a generational talent. Unbelievable focus. I've never seen another goalie so totally driven to win at any cost. You could almost see the steam coming out of the guy's ears when he was mad, and at that moment the man became an unbeatable giant. Did he steal our Cups? No, he just made them a lot more possible. Remember -- our teams scored many more goals and had real depth of talent, even without superstar skaters. Roy tipped the scales in our favour, but so did Carbonneau, Gainey, Robinson, Smith, Naslund, Muller, LeClair, etc. Lots of big tippers on those two teams.
totally agree...

though I see the same sort of competitive drive from Price at times, problem is that when he gets pissed, his game/focus start to waiver instead of narrowing... i somewhat ascribe that to the realities of "youth" these days (as if I'm that much older). a bit too much "baby" and not enough "man-up", likely a direct result of the differences in parenting focus from the 60's/70's vs late 90's/00's.

the whole "attachement parenting" movement really picked up steam around that time, and even if parents weren't advocates, it certainly has swayed the "norm" more towards "coddling" and away from letting kids figure things out on their own.

Price clearly has the spirit, drive & ego to match Roy, question is will he learn/master the focus to direct that energy towards winning at all cost vs complaining at all cost.

i think in the past 2 years, we've seen him moving in the right direction, hope it continues.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Roy didn't win two cups. A very good team lead by Roy won two cups over a stretch of time 86-93 that Montreal was consistently one of the best teams in the league. The were about as equivalently good as the New Jersey Devils from 95 to the lockout. Roy didn't even have all that great a season in 92-93 and the team was still amongst the top in the league (6th of 24), their level of play got overshadowed by being in an insane division with 3 100 point teams.

That was an era that gets overshadowed by the Habs' greatness at other points in time but for almost any other franchise (lets say New York or Chicago) would be considered a golden age.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:17 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

roy stole those cups the same way that thomas stole the last one.

answer: not really...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:44 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Good for Roy.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I was reading the Habs book recently and I can't believe all the guys they traded away. I know Savard got us two cups but trading Chelios, C Lemieux, LeClair was pretty horrible. And then Peanutt traded Roy and Pierre Turgeon.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:40 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If Roy gets credit for the goal then the Isles and Flames should get assists for knocking down the brush and clearing a path to the net... Like treufelsdreck says above.

If anything can be taken from those wins it is maybe that the luckiest team wins.... Case in point the B's got every bounce in our serie last year ... Another 10 OT wins in 93.

You have to capitalize when luck comes your way but seems to me luck has a lot to do with it.

Priority is playoffs once you get there luck might turn your way.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:20 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Err...did you watch the games? Or the regular season? The Habs weren't a powerhouse team. I would call them a rather middling above average team that had no real business winning the cup. And if you watched the playoffs, the Habs weren't a dominating team. They pretty much left him out to dry. Yes, on paper if you look at the names you would say they had a much better team...and I would agree with you but they sure shouldn't have won the cup. If it wasn't Roy who 'stole' the cup then it was a huge pile of luck that stole the cup because it sure wasn't a great dominating team that won the cup.
I beleive its just the age thing, those that are stating the opposite of what you wrote, do not have a clue at what they are saying and i can garantee you are too young to remember or just didn't watch these playoffs. By the way what i stated came form many journalists and other hockey GM's.