HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kopitar slumping??

Old
11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Kopitar slumping??

what do you guys think of kopi's game lately? is another long slump on the horizon?

past few games he's been really quiet, i though last night he looked pretty good and tried to make some plays, i just think brown and hunter don't compliment his game very well. i personally think he's taken the "next step" to become a top 5 center in this league, and i don't believe his struggles will continue, even with brown and hunter playing along side of him.

any concerns from any of you fans.. what do you guys think?

Edit: don't want anyone to think I'm being overly critical of kopi, still has a pt. Per game this year I think he's been great and i just don't want others to think I'm criticizing him just cause his performance has dipped slightly. Not tryin to he a psp here(no offense psp) just want your guys' opinions on the subject.

Last edited by gtwyc: 11-29-2011 at 10:30 PM.
gtwyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Vic Vinegar

Maybe he's a little tired (double shifted every game it seems), but having Hunter on his line definitely doesn't help. Penner's return should jumpstart his scoring...yes I'm serious about that.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 05:58 PM
damacles1156

Kopitar does this every year.

He goes about 15 games of not scoring GOALS, he will get a few assist.

But then he snaps out of it and goes back to his two way self.

Brown is the same; he will have a month this year, where every puck he puts on net will go in it seems like.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:08 PM
outofrange

Yeah it looks like a slump plus him getting too many minutes and being tired. Even though it sucks and it's not fun, thank god we have Rick this year to even things out.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Ollie Weeks

Get ready for December. That's when things usually get back on track.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:27 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

It's an annual tradition. He starts off on fire, slumps, Murray gives him a 2nd or 3rd line wake-up call, and he bounces back.

One of these years he'll mature enough to break this cycle, but it's a pretty well-defined pattern at this point.

He's still a pleasure to watch play the game, although Mike Richards may overtake the #1 spot on my list of favorite Kings since I've been a fan of the team. I haven't enjoyed watching a Kings player on the ice this much since Palffy.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:13 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
It's an annual tradition. He starts off on fire, slumps, Murray gives him a 2nd or 3rd line wake-up call, and he bounces back.

One of these years he'll mature enough to break this cycle, but it's a pretty well-defined pattern at this point.
I keep hoping every season, and it keeps not happening. I thought this was going to be the season when he'd finally not go into an extended funk. He's been in the league 6 years now and is near the peak of his career. If he hasn't learned by now, I'm not sure he ever will.

Over the last 5 games he's got one point, which came on a PP tap-in as a result of a fantastic feed from Richards. He's also -6 over those five games, and that's no coincidence.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:24 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
I keep hoping every season, and it keeps not happening. I thought this was going to be the season when he'd finally not go into an extended funk. He's been in the league 6 years now and is near the peak of his career. If he hasn't learned by now, I'm not sure he ever will.

Over the last 5 games he's got one point, which came on a PP tap-in as a result of a fantastic feed from Richards. He's also -6 over those five games, and that's no coincidence.
Yeah, maybe give him a calendar that has nothing but the month of October?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:41 PM
redcard

Quote:

The team as a whole has 9 goals in the last 5 games, and Richards has 4 of them.

This is why we brought him in, this shouldn't be a surprise. Kopitar starts off hot, scores a lot of goals, teams think "Maybe we should work a little harder to defend this guy." The result is more space on the ice for Richards and he scores 9 goals in 10 games.

What do you think will happen next? Who's going to draw the tough defensive match-ups next month and who's going to find themselves consistently coming down the ice against the second pair? To me it doesn't matter, we've established to teams that they have to pick their poison, and either one of these guys can hurt them. "Maturity" has nothing to do with it.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Nex06

Quote:
By extended funk you mean 1 goal in 5 games? 2 goals in last 10 games? 6 points in last 10 games? Once you define that, could you please tell me one player not named Sidney Crosby that HAS learned what you claim Kopitar has not learned. Just one name will do, Eastern Conference included, don't forget all those teams that don't play defense. I am sure you can find ONE name...

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Duc620

Redcard! Shoots and scores!!

Excellent point.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:47 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
The team as a whole has 9 goals in the last 5 games, and Richards has 4 of them.

This is why we brought him in, this shouldn't be a surprise. Kopitar starts off hot, scores a lot of goals, teams think "Maybe we should work a little harder to defend this guy." The result is more space on the ice for Richards and he scores 9 goals in 10 games.

What do you think will happen next? Who's going to draw the tough defensive match-ups next month and who's going to find themselves consistently coming down the ice against the second pair? To me it doesn't matter, we've established to teams that they have to pick their poison, and either one of these guys can hurt them. "Maturity" has nothing to do with it.
Very good post. I would have to agree with this.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard

So every year teams forget how good Kopitar is, leave him alone for the first 20 games, then remember he is good and they key on him? Every year?

You make a very valid point re: Richards flourishing when Kopitar isnt but that is new this year. The Koptar slump stands the test of time. It's an annual occurrence.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:01 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
So every year teams forget how good Kopitar is, leave him alone for the first 20 games, then remember he is good and they key on him? Every year?

You make a very valid point re: Richards flourishing when Kopitar isnt but that is new this year. The Koptar slump stands the test of time. It's a pattern.
I'm afraid so, and I think teams are keying on him every bit as much in the 1st 20 or so games of a season as they are now.

He seems to go through long stretches at this time of year where all you can count on is 6 or 7 points over a 15-16 game span. He needs to get better and help his wingers contribute. That's his job. He is always great in his own zone, but he seems to take a break on the PP and in the offensive zone at times.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:21 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Star going through a slump? Never happens.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

I know he's an elite athlete, but getting double shifted repeatedly night after night can't help.

More shifts =/= better shifts.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:08 PM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
By extended funk you mean 1 goal in 5 games? 2 goals in last 10 games? 6 points in last 10 games? Once you define that, could you please tell me one player not named Sidney Crosby that HAS learned what you claim Kopitar has not learned. Just one name will do, Eastern Conference included, don't forget all those teams that don't play defense. I am sure you can find ONE name...
Agreed. Kopi hasn't hit the month long slump so far this season like he has in previous seasons. I personally don't see that happening, because he has definitely raised his game to another level this year and he hasn't been invisible out there on the ice, even tho hes not playing his best hockey.

Other posters made a good point of him being double shifted a lot. No doubt he burnt out when he's out there so much not only to put points on the board but to play defense the way each center is expected to play under TM. (that was by no means meant to bash TM)

Old
11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Nex06

I wrote 10 games ago that Kopitar's game level dropped and I was probably the first one. So that is nothing new to me. I just oppose the +/- and point counting BS. Why BS? Because it just doesn't stand an objective analysis with 800+ other players in the league.

Quote:
I'd say yes, the teams are more careful with him on ice. Why wouldn't they be? Let's see the facts and you tell me what would you have done as an opposing team's coach. You have a team where one player was involved with what? 60% of all goals? A team that is not able to score apart from time when one player is on ice? If you don't prepare something special for that player, you are just a bad coach. In last games they were closing in on him so fast that I said at loud "You gotta be kidding me!"

Doubling a player is not just a matter of that player's quality. Everyone knows what Kopitar can do, they don't forget that - here I agree with you. But these decisions come also based on the rest of the team, on relative player's importance. When you have a player just coming from a serious injury at the beginning of the season on one side and a second best point producer in the league for a defensive team on other side - which one will draw more attention?

Quote:
You make a very valid point re: Richards flourishing when Kopitar isnt but that is new this year. The Koptar slump stands the test of time. It's an annual occurrence.
Just like with everyone else in the league not named Sidney Crosby. It's a fact that can be easily checked. I have done that.

The way I see it, opposing teams covering Kopitar so closely is problematic not only because he has less options to work with (after all best players are supposed to manage that and I would say that Kopitar doesn't fail here) but especially because he has to work more and harder to achieve the same result. Combine this with penalty killing TOI, double shifting and overall bad team result which forces Murray to play him even more in second half of the game.

I haven't been happy with Kopitar's performance in last 10 games, but my question is what exactly is the criticism here? So far I've read some general cliches, but what is the criticism really? That he believes he is the best player in the league and thinks that he doesn't need to work that hard? Is that it?

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Fishhead

Kopi is still a beast on the boards and causes plenty of problems. He was out there for a lot of shifts against Thornton's line, that's not gonna help your numbers any. He didn't look off his game at all to me.

Just a short-term scoring lapse, that's all it is.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Martyros

Putting two bone-headed players next to Kopitar isn't helping him either.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:19 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Putting two bone-headed players next to Kopitar isn't helping him either.
That is border line disrespectful. Love how he doesn't complian and just goes out and does what's asked of him, unlike ovi8

Old
11-30-2011, 12:39 AM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I'd say yes, the teams are more careful with him on ice. Why wouldn't they be? Let's see the facts and you tell me what would you have done as an opposing team's coach. You have a team where one player was involved with what? 60% of all goals? A team that is not able to score apart from time when one player is on ice? If you don't prepare something special for that player, you are just a bad coach. In last games they were closing in on him so fast that I said at loud "You gotta be kidding me!"
I have noticed this too, especially on breakouts teams are cheating so much towards Kopitar, but imo if Kopitar wants to be elite he has to learn to fight through it and exploit it (getting "targeted" usually leaves your teammates with more open ice).

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:54 AM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He is always great in his own zone.
He's been quite average in his own zone lately, too.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
That is border line disrespectful. Love how he doesn't complian and just goes out and does what's asked of him, unlike ovi8
Or perhaps it's "giving" him respect? Maybe Terry feels Kopitar is that one player that can create chances out of nothing so he saved his more skilled players to play on the other lines with Richards and Stoll/Loktionov. Either way, this isn't going to help Kopitar crack the 82point mark, let alone 100....

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:39 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Or perhaps it's "giving" him respect? Maybe Terry feels Kopitar is that one player that can create chances out of nothing so he saved his more skilled players to play on the other lines with Richards and Stoll/Loktionov. Either way, this isn't going to help Kopitar crack the 82point mark, let alone 100....
true but i think hes earned a winger better than hunter playing along side of him.. hell why not put stoll up there. i like hunter but not as 1st line rw