HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better hands: Lemieux or Datsyuk?

View Poll Results: Who has better hands?
Datsyuk 79 24.92%
Lemieux 220 69.40%
Too close to call 18 5.68%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-13-2011, 03:29 AM
GardinerExpressway

vCash: 500
You mad bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Jägr in his prime > crosby bro, get real.
Agree to disagree. Jagr was never able to do it all by himself, he's a secondary player not a captain. He probably has more god given gifts than Crosby I'll concede, but Crosby has that thing that only a few athletes show us ... winning time. I should have clarified, I didn't mean Crosby>Jagr on a skill level (though one day that conversation might be realistic ... you're right that it's not now), just that I would rather Crosby on my team than Jagr in his prime. Some elite athletes score points and others win, I'll take the latter over the former every time.

GardinerExpressway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auliewantsisplayoffs View Post
Agree to disagree. Jagr was never able to do it all by himself, he's a secondary player not a captain. He probably has more god given gifts than Crosby I'll concede, but Crosby has that thing that only a few athletes show us ... winning time. I should have clarified, I didn't mean Crosby>Jagr on a skill level (though one day that conversation might be realistic ... you're right that it's not now), just that I would rather Crosby on my team than Jagr in his prime. Some elite athletes score points and others win, I'll take the latter over the former every time.

When exactly was Crosby able to "do it all by himself"?

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:37 PM
overpass

Datsyuk...but Lemieux is 46 years old, give him a break.

In their primes, Datsyuk could never shoot with pinpoint accuracy like Lemieux could.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Big Phil

I am convinced 25% of the voters (and even more who "weren't sure") never saw Mario play the game. If they did, they wouldn't even question it. In all honesty, it isn't fair to do this to a great player like Datsyuk. He has great hands but he might compare better to someone in his own class.

When someone can do the things with a puck in a game that Mario did with such elegance and grace then come and talk to us

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:33 AM
GardinerExpressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
When exactly was Crosby able to "do it all by himself"?
You're truly being difficult here. The point was that Crosby isn't a secondary player. He's won the world juniors as captain, he's won the stanley cup, he's won the olympic gold medal (you might have had a good view of that from Richmond BC), he's the youngest captain ever, the youngest leader in playoff scoring, I could go on ...

Crosby is so good, that Malkin is the secondary scorer on that Penguins team. Jagr was never the reason his team won anything ... Lemieux was.

Here's what Jagr does in winning time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB-c9dDZcoI

... you can keep your Gordon Bombay, I'll take Crosby for the win even on a flubbed forehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z0W1...eature=related

GardinerExpressway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:43 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auliewantsisplayoffs View Post
You're truly being difficult here. The point was that Crosby isn't a secondary player. He's won the world juniors as captain, he's won the stanley cup, he's won the olympic gold medal (you might have had a good view of that from Richmond BC), he's the youngest captain ever, the youngest leader in playoff scoring, I could go on ...

Crosby is so good, that Malkin is the secondary scorer on that Penguins team. Jagr was never the reason his team won anything ... Lemieux was.

Here's what Jagr does in winning time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB-c9dDZcoI

... you can keep your Gordon Bombay, I'll take Crosby for the win even on a flubbed forehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z0W1...eature=related
Jagr never missed the playoffs as a Penguin, Lemieux only made the playoffs once without Jagr in 6 seasons.

Crosby also missed the playoffs as a Penguin (without Malkin).

Jagr was 19 and 20 when the Penguins won the Cup and by the team it was "his team", the Penguins were never Stanley Cup contenders.

If you ever watched hockey, you would know that in the late 90's no matter how good Jagr was, there was no way his team could compete against the likes of the Flyers, Devils, Avanlanche, Red Wings and Blues.

Also Jagr won, count it, 4 Art Ross trophies without Lemieux. Crosby has won all but one of his major awards in the same season which was 2006-07.

Jagr has 3 Pearsons without Lemieux and 1 Hart as well. Sure Jagr was a secondary player when the Penguins won the Cup but he was 19 and 20 playing on stacked Penguins teams. BTW that second Cup win, Jagr was very important to the win and if not for his dominant play against the Rangers when Lemieux broke his wrist, the Penguins wouldn't have even gotten to the playoffs. Jagr also had 4 game winners in that Cup run and who will forget his goal against the Blackhawks that Lemieux himself described as "the best goal he has ever seen".

Stop with this nonsense. Crosby was carried by Team Canada at the Olympics and had a terrible tournament if not for the "Golden Goal" which was just a case of being in the right spot at the right time.

Crosby was shut down by the Red Wings in both of his trips to the Finals. When they won the Cup, it was Malkin that carried them. Crosby is good at getting lots of points against certain teams like the Senators (which he did to inflate his stats) but when push comes to shove, he looses against teams that have a structured defense like the Red Wings.

Last but not least, the fact that the Penguins even made the playoffs in the late 90's with Jagr is a testament to Jagr's talent. They had below average defense, they had Jagr, Straka and Kovalev and Lang weren't stars yet until 2000-01. During the "Dead Puck Era", Jagr's stats in the playoffs were very impressive as he played at a 100 Pts clip when it was usually normal that stars players numbers would dropped in the playoffs. Jagr's game never dropped in the playoffs.

If you want to talk about winning.

Jagr has 2 Stanley Cups, Crosby has 1.

Jagr has an Olympic Gold and Bronze, Crosby has 1 Gold.

Jagr has 2 World Championship Golds, Crosby has none.

Jagr has won on every level and is still playing strong at age 39.

Fans of hockey nowadays really don't understand how gifted some of the players of 90's and 80's really were.

You guys can have your Ovechkinks, Crosbys, Malkins, Datsyuks and Thomas', Towes', Charas, Webers....

I'll take my Lemieux', Jagrs', Gretzkys, Haseks, Roys, Bourques, Chelios', Yzermans, Stevens' and Prongers......

Last edited by livewell68: 12-14-2011 at 10:01 AM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
you are underating datsyuk just because he is playing now but lemieux couldnt do some of the things that datsyuk can do. (stickhandling)
really...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0OCTC03Vzo

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:58 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Bump an eight month old thread and don't properly embed the video.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:05 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
many players were better than lemieux in some aspects. for example, on D and faceoffs.

lemieux was below average in both.
Lemieux turned in Selke level performances during the two Cup runs in '91 & '92. He was a consistent penalty killer which scared the living hell out of opposing power plays.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:09 PM
drmagg

Kovalev.

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:49 PM
HockeyBuddha
Knower of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
This didn't prove anything but how he could hold off defenders with his big size. Had nothing to do with stickhandling.

And I'm not sure how that could be considered the best goal ever. I see plays like that all the time.

I voted datsyuk. Lemieux didn't even need to be a great stickhandler, I think how he used his size was his biggest super power. Find me a clip of lemieux deeking a goalie as bad as datsyuk does and I'll change my mind.

HockeyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
Looks like a lot of people never saw Lemieux play. This poll is just
He was one of my faves of that era but Datsyuk needed some love.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:32 PM
espo*

In terms of strictly hands they are probably damn close though Lemieux still wins because of his size and reach which allowed him to be more devastating with them then Datsyuk ever can hope to be when scoring goals.

The proper vote here is Lemieux.He's basically unbeatable in a poll concerning hands. His physical gifts allowed him to use his sublime hands to the most effectiveness.

And In terms of who was the better player as good as Datsyuk is Lemieux eats him alive.Anyone unbiased who has watched both those players in their careers can't argue that.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:40 PM
espo*

You see plays like that all the time?

****, get me all those clips of that please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBuddha View Post
This didn't prove anything but how he could hold off defenders with his big size. Had nothing to do with stickhandling.

And I'm not sure how that could be considered the best goal ever. I see plays like that all the time.

I voted datsyuk. Lemieux didn't even need to be a great stickhandler, I think how he used his size was his biggest super power. Find me a clip of lemieux deeking a goalie as bad as datsyuk does and I'll change my mind.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:29 PM
DanZ

If Lemieux was Datsyuk's size, Datsyuk would be winning this poll by a decent margin or at least it would be very close...

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:41 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Even the fact that you put Datsyuk before Lemieux in the poll is a travesty.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:44 AM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

I see many of you seem to think best hands is the same as best stick handler. Which is simply not true.

The answer is Mario and although I hate to use it... AINEC!

Datsyuk, whom is an amazing hockey player, should not even be in the same discussion as Mario. Dats is seriously overrated on these boards. At this point surpassing even god (Forsberg) as the most overrated (albiet great) hockey player in HF history.

settinguptheplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:13 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Lemieux.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:05 AM
mytor4*

As good as Dats is, it's Lemieux and AINEC.Thats how good Lemieux was.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Krishna

Lemieux

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

# 66 :d

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
vanwest

Lemieux was one of the best of all time. He wins this one easily, IMO.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:11 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

ask their wives

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Mario Lemieux

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Lemieux.

Imagine Datsyuk's stickhandling ability, but with the reach of a guy that's 6'4.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote