HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better hands: Lemieux or Datsyuk?

View Poll Results: Who has better hands?
Datsyuk 79 24.92%
Lemieux 220 69.40%
Too close to call 18 5.68%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Eskimo44

vCash: 500
Anyone voting Datsuyk is fooling themselves, Lemieux wasn't just a big body with some skill. He was probably the best individual skill player of all time, he just wasn't as smart as Gretzky. Like someone else said there is a reason Gretzky and Lemieux are considered in a class of their own.

Eskimo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Jagr never missed the playoffs as a Penguin, Lemieux only made the playoffs once without Jagr in 6 seasons.
Yeah maybe because Lemieux was first the guy who turned the franchise around, before Jagr was there, and again helped turn it around after it went bankrupt, after Jagr was gone. Very unfair point.

Quote:
Crosby also missed the playoffs as a Penguin (without Malkin).
Again that was while the franchise was still being turned around, in the year he missed the playoffs the team had yet to add Malkin-Staal, and Fleury-R.Whitney-Orpik were still developing/on their way. It's pretty unrealistic to expect one player to turn around the very worst franchise in the league in one game, and before help arrives. The guy had over 100 points in his rookie season, what more was he supposed to do?

Quote:
Crosby was shut down by the Red Wings in both of his trips to the Finals. When they won the Cup, it was Malkin that carried them. Crosby is good at getting lots of points against certain teams like the Senators (which he did to inflate his stats) but when push comes to shove, he looses against teams that have a structured defense like the Red Wings.
You realize that Crosby makes Malkin's job easier against teams like the Red Wings? Lidstrom can't play all game against them both, and most nights the guy they try and shutdown is Crosby. Also in the first yer they met Malkin was so much worse i almost thought he was throwing the series, yet you ignore that season.

Eskimo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Mario.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
If Lemieux was Datsyuk's size, Datsyuk would be winning this poll by a decent margin or at least it would be very close...
If Lemieux was even bigger than his regular size size and you compared him to a Datsyuk that was Lemieux's regular size, Lemieux would be winning by a decent margin.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Are you kidding me?

I'm going with the guy that has 690 goals. It's not close. Lemeiux has quite possibly the greatest hands of all-time.

Datsyuk continues to be horribly overrated by HF and fans in general. He's not Lemieux, he's not a top player all-time, he's not even a PPG player.

He's a great player and probably a hall of famer. But to compare him to top 5 all-time players is ridiculous. Everything Pavel Dastyuk touches on that ice, every single aspect of the game, is done on an inferior level to that of Mario Lemieux.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:58 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
Ye, and your point is? Datsyuk can't even sniff on Mario Lemieux, sorry bud.
<----- I think its from Leviticus.

Nothing in the book about Mario.

End thread.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

I feel like when Lemieux gets compared to Howe, Orr, and Gretzky he gets over rated a lot. But when he gets comapred to someone who's obviously less skilled and an inferior play people seem to pick him apart as a player. This poll should be a runaway for Lemieux. He is the most skilled player to ever play.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:32 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Datsyuk

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
I feel like when Lemieux gets compared to Howe, Orr, and Gretzky he gets over rated a lot. But when he gets comapred to someone who's obviously less skilled and an inferior play people seem to pick him apart as a player. This poll should be a runaway for Lemieux. He is the most skilled player to ever play.
How can you overrate the most skilled player to ever play the game?

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:09 AM
LSnow

In terms of strickly puck handling then its Datsyuk, but add shooting etc. then Datsyuk is inferior even to Semin.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:08 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Dats.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:23 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
How can you overrate the most skilled player to ever play the game?
When Lemeiux gets compared to Gretzky or Howe in terms of who is better all time, people will give Jim credit for things he didn't do and try t orate him at #1 all time. In terms of skills he is the best.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Sasso09

Seriously... Datsyuk has some great hands... but people are nuts if they're voting him over Mario.. Mario hands down has the best hands in hockey history. Datsyuk MAY have the best hands in hockey today.. I still think he's in a pack with Malkin, Crosby, Giroux and maybe a few others. Datsyuk gets a lot of love here.

Sasso09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
When Lemeiux gets compared to Gretzky or Howe in terms of who is better all time, people will give Jim credit for things he didn't do and try t orate him at #1 all time. In terms of skills he is the best.
I've been an avid hockey fan since i could remember.. i'm 27.. i hate the penguins. With that being said, it is in MY opinion that Mario is the best forward of all time. I just feel he was a better overall player than Gretzky. IT's hard to argue with Gretzkys numbers but thats just my stance. i've felt this way for about 10 years.

Orr
Mario
Wayne

That's my order, but TBH they're your top 3, boxed.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
In terms of strickly puck handling then its Datsyuk, but add shooting etc. then Datsyuk is inferior even to Semin.
in terms of strictly stick handling, Mario Dwarfs Dats.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
If Lemieux was Datsyuk's size, Datsyuk would be winning this poll by a decent margin or at least it would be very close...
LOL, actually it's quite the opposite. Datsyuk has a significantly smaller stick than Mario, the smaller the stick the better you can stick handle. Mario had better hands with a much longer stick. Smaller guys generally have better stick handling for a reason. Look at the top handlers in the game today, most are 6 ft. or shorter

Datsyuk, 5'11"
Giroux, 5'11"
Hemsky, 6'0"
Kane, 5'11"
Crosby, 5'11"
Perron, 6'0"
Backstrom, 6'0"
Ribiero, 6'0"
Schremp, 5'11"

Ofcourse you have some exceptions like Malkin, Getzlaf and Kovalchuk. But generally speaking, the smaller guys are the better stick handlers. The fact that Mario was the best ever at his massive size is a testament to his talent.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
I've been an avid hockey fan since i could remember.. i'm 27.. i hate the penguins. With that being said, it is in MY opinion that Mario is the best forward of all time. I just feel he was a better overall player than Gretzky. IT's hard to argue with Gretzkys numbers but thats just my stance. i've felt this way for about 10 years.

Orr
Mario
Wayne

That's my order, but TBH they're your top 3, boxed.
If thts your opinion then thats fine. I just think you'll have a hard time ever having to explain your choice. Overall doesn't really make Lemieux seem any better. Both were good leaders and both were nothing special defensively. Gretzky just has everything on Lemieux.