HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hello. My name is Al Montoya. I play for the Isles. Prepare to lose.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:17 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

vCash: 500
Good
-Enroth had a hasek like contemplation moment.
-I choose to believe that kassian was giving razor props and i liked it. let the fans know who they want.
-Stafford's bad angle shot
-vanek was a leader.
-leino's puck play reminded me of drury.
-gragnani showed me some new things in the defensive zone.
-luke adams goal line save

bad

cory tropp > matt ellis
gerbe did not use his talent and it hasn't been there since miller went down in boston.
-sekera is not changing the game when he isn't trying to get into the offensive zone.
-three lines that all suffered because of one players dishonest receptivity.

ugly
-the refs .. sure they helped us by calling the penalties to give us a 5-3. but could you call holding?
- The powerplay. They lack spontaneity and pass back to the point like they are on a first date. it has improved.

the crowd- wouldn't know the difference bettween watching a 1-0 game and a 4-0 game. "hockey heaven"

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-29-2011 at 09:33 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Whammer

Good

McNabb
Kassian
Both goalies
Regher

Bad

The interference call on Zack. He had position. The dive was just as bad. Weak.
Another D-man injury
Puck. Puck on stick. Shoot puck into net. Simple.
Their passing was atrocious. So many passes in skates.
I won't put him in the Ugly, but Grags. Had some OK moments, but he's just so timid. At both ends of the ice.
They were owned at the dot when it mattered most all night long.
Gerbe's spear. Shanny will be calling.

Ugly

ANOTHER home loss.
Last two losses to two of the worst teams in the NHL.
The 5 on 3. The "static" power play where no one moves. Your money guys are out there. Gotta score. No excuses.
This win one, lose one crap can't go on.
My home record while in attendance goes to 2-5-1.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I posted this in the GDT, but it's probably more appropriate for here:
Only thing i can say my reasoning is.... those players deserve to be here ..i dont feel Grags does...

Doesn't mean that their production is acceptable...

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

the ugly
- keeping it simple

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
5 Minute Major

Ugly:

The Pegula honeymoon is officially over. No, it's not his fault the team is not playing worth a darn but it is true none the less. The fans want to see good results and we simply aren't.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:28 PM
jfb392

Why does Ruff refuse to remove Hecht from the Vanek-Pominville line?
He constantly shuffles the lines but refuses to when his two best offensive players aren't producing.
Yeah, they scored the only goal tonight, but the production of Pominville and Vanek hasn't been there for awhile (basically since he's been put on that line).
They may have cooled down, but Hecht isn't helping them create much of anything.

I don't get why everyone is complaining about Gragnani.
He played the same way that he's played in pretty much every other game this season, which is terribly.
If you're expecting him to become the next Brian Campbell or even a passable NHL defenseman, stop dreaming.
He deserves to be in the AHL or Europe.

Stafford should have just stayed injured because he still sucks.
I was really hoping that he had turned the corner last season, but it looks like he's the same old Nancy Drew.
Leino is equally as bad, but at least he's a bit more noticeable.

Finally, Kassian and Szczechura need to be sent down or someone needs to tell Jeanneret how to pronounce their ****ing names.
It's not Kashin and Sahara.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
GOOD:
-Tavares. Best player on the ice, AINEC. Kid's a superstar.
-Hecht. Buffalo's best forward tonight. I hope some are starting to understand his value.
-Liked Stafford's game, but he needs to hit the scoresheet.
-Leino had some nice moments (and some bad ones). Before giving up the breakaway to Grabner and flubbing the late chance, I thought he was our most dominant forward in the 3rd.
-McNabb's physicality.
-Kassian sticking up for Gerbe.

BAD:
-McNabb's footspeed.
-Paging the Rochester Core, Rochester Core to the FNC...Please score a big goal at any ****ing time, please. Thanks.
-The 5-on-3 strategy. We have two plays. First, we set up Ehrhoff for a one-time. Second, Grags throws it to Pominville, Pominville throws it in front to Vanek. That's it. It's embarrassing.
-Didn't like Sekera getting outworked by Bailey just before the Isles' second goal.
-Leino missing the late opportunity.
-Did Gerbe and Goose even play tonight?

UGLY:
-Another defenseman getting injured.
-Getting outworked by the Isles. Again. Why do we think we can just show up and beat these guys? Have they not kicked our ***** enough over the last few years for us to know better by now?
-The only thing keeping us from a five-game losing streak is a Washington team who'd completely quit on their coach.
-Two losses in four days to the 15th-place team in each conference. Well done.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:34 PM
NoClue4u

Ugly:
Someone mentioned in the GDT we had a Power-play conversion percentage in the top ten of the league. While yes this is true, over the past ten games, including tonight, we have a percentage of 15%. That is about 21st in the league, and once the Islanders' stats get calculated, I think they would be 21st and us 22nd. Also, just looking at the stats from some of these past ten games, there were two 0/3s, two 0/4s and one 0/5. The power-play might need some work especially to become more consistent.

NoClue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The Good -

- I got in a brisk walk from the train station to home.
- McNabb's hit was worth the price of admission.
- I thought Sekera played a solid game and created more than the rest of the blueliners combined.
- Enroth getting a couple pipes for help and making a couple of remarkable saves.

The Bad -

- Losing Leopold.
- What Shana-ban will do over Gerbe's spearing.

The Ugly -

- That five-on-three that never works. Apparently the plan is to stand perfectly still and play soft-toss with the puck until time runs out. Same people, same result.
- The "Big Scorers" not scoring.

11-29-2011, 09:51 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The Good -

- That five-on-three that never works. Apparently the plan is to stand perfectly still and play soft-toss with the puck until time runs out. Same people, same result.
my thoughts exactly

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:07 PM
NoClue4u

Quote:
-When do we start holding the offensive players accountable who are making more than $25k more than the league minimum?

Pominville: 1 goal in 5 games
Vanek: 1 goal in 8 games
Roy: 0 goals in 7 games
Stafford: 0 goals in 11 games
Leino: 1 goal in 23 games
Gerbe: 0 goals in 12 games
Gaustad: 1 goal in 24 games

How is this good enough?

$28.6m in cap hit right there. When do we start allocating blame to all those guys (rather than just Leino and Roy)? Why aren't people asking more of Gaustad and Gerbe? Because they work hard? **** that. As usual, fans confusing effort and achievement.
Well, if you are listing offensive players, why did you put Gaustad in there? He has never scored more than 12 goals in a season. Gerbe has potential, but I'm not sure if he has been put in a position to really score a lot of goals this season. I think you are using a definition of achievement that doesn't apply to all players. We could certainly put Regehr up in that list and say he has not scored ANY goals this season. However, that is not what he is getting paid for. And let's face it, posters are allocating blame to those that have performed the worst. Even by your standards, that is definitely Leino and I'm pretty sure Stafford has been catching more flak lately. Lastly, it seems to be more enjoyable to watch a game where a team works hard and then loses as opposed to a game where a team doesn't work hard and loses. So, I think that is why posters value perceived effort over achievement. Might be why they are posting on the internet and not managing a professional hockey team.

NoClue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Eh, I liked the effort. And I think they'll win tomorrow.
well, at least we won't lose, that's for sure!!!

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:17 PM
5 Minute Major

Secondary scoring has been a problem from the 1st game of the season.

Jochen Hect tied Brad Boyes tonight to move into a tie for 8th in goals scored on this team. A good night by Jochen against Detroit and he could be tied for 6th with Stafford at 4 goals.

Yeah.

Problem.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
DixonWard15

G:

McNabb
We have a ton of depth in Rochester

B:
Roy

U:
Our 5-3 PP
Grags, sorry man I really believed in you but its time for him to be reassigned and the Sabres to move in a different direction, for now.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue4u View Post
Well, if you are listing offensive players, why did you put Gaustad in there? He has never scored more than 12 goals in a season. Gerbe has potential, but I'm not sure if he has been put in a position to really score a lot of goals this season. I think you are using a definition of achievement that doesn't apply to all players. We could certainly put Regehr up in that list and say he has not scored ANY goals this season. However, that is not what he is getting paid for. And let's face it, posters are allocating blame to those that have performed the worst. Even by your standards, that is definitely Leino and I'm pretty sure Stafford has been catching more flak lately. Lastly, it seems to be more enjoyable to watch a game where a team works hard and then loses as opposed to a game where a team doesn't work hard and loses. So, I think that is why posters value perceived effort over achievement. Might be why they are posting on the internet and not managing a professional hockey team.
Sorry, Gaustad hasn't scored in 23 games. That is NOT good enough for a guy who plays 12 ES mins per night. He needs to chip in. He's on pace for 3 goals right now. Simply not good enough.

Gerbe plays 13 ES mins/game. He has one goal in 16 games. He needs to contribute offensively. At the very least, he needs to stop taking stupid penalties and spearing guys. He's hurting the team. But he also needs to chip in offense.

I'm tired of guys like Gerbe, Gaustad, and Weber getting free passes because they work hard or are physical. ****. That. They've both been garbage lately, and they deserve their share of the blame, as well.

Who said anything about Regehr? Complete strawman.

Old
11-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

The good

There is nothing good about getting out played and losing to the worst team in the EC, at home.

The Bad

Third worst GA on home ice, in the league. So they finally play a half decent defensive game, and then they can't get more than a goal themselves.

Wow Leino...I mean I get that he's struggled all season, and I prefer to be compassionate. But I mean...wow...

The Ugly

Just when Gerbe was about to score a sweet goal out of the corner, another Dive ruins everything. I ****ing HATE the NHL. Is there a single ref in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE who knows what a Dive is? ANYBODY?! Hell call it on the Sabres I DON'T CARE. Just ****ing call THE DIVING PENALTY. It's in the ****ing rule book, do your job assclowns. Or at least don't put the guy in the box who literally did NOTHING.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:25 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

So we got Regehr and Stafford back

Lost Leopold, but for how long

Who do we get back on Friday? Kaleta? McCormick? Ennis?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post

U:
Our 5-3 PP
Grags, sorry man I really believed in you but its time for him to be reassigned and the Sabres to move in a different direction, for now.
He won't be reassigned because he's not waiver exempt. They need him so that they can carry seven defensemen when fully healthy. His value lies in his salary. He will get picked up if he goes on waivers, I guarantee it. (And, hey, maybe that's what some want, but it's not what Ruff and Regier want).

Old
11-29-2011, 10:33 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
He won't be reassigned because he's not waiver exempt. They need him so that they can carry seven defensemen when fully healthy. His value lies in his salary. He will get picked up if he goes on waivers, I guarantee it. (And, hey, maybe that's what some want, but it's not what Ruff and Regier want).
I don't know the ins and outs of the salary cap/waiver rules and I know the Sabres are up against the wall but I believe there are several Amerks who could help the Sabres more than he can. If it is about putting the best product on the ice and not $$$ then changes need to be made. Grags has just completely lost his entire freaking game.

I also thought for months that Leopold was on his way out this summer but that never panned out either, so what do I know.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:34 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Gaustad not scoring was cool early in the year cause the team was playing somewhat intelligent defensive hockey and his line was at least responsible for good zone pressure and momentum shifts. He's been real bad since the Bruins game though.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:36 PM
sabres19892

Quote:
Sorry, Gaustad hasn't scored in 23 games. That is NOT good enough for a guy who plays 12 ES mins per night. He needs to chip in. He's on pace for 3 goals right now. Simply not good enough.

Gerbe plays 13 ES mins/game. He has one goal in 16 games. He needs to contribute offensively. At the very least, he needs to stop taking stupid penalties and spearing guys. He's hurting the team. But he also needs to chip in offense.

I'm tired of guys like Gerbe, Gaustad, and Weber getting free passes because they work hard or are physical. ****. That. They've both been garbage lately, and they deserve their share of the blame, as well.

Who said anything about Regehr? Complete strawman.
This guy is right.

sabres19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
i dont think he'd get picked up honestly... everyone has 1 or 2 GlutenFree's in their own system...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal2000 View Post
second time in three games sabres make a career backup look like a vezina candidate
His entire NHL career has been with the Islanders- and he has started more than anyone else has during that timespan not backup.

Now if you called him a career AHLer you'd be more accurate lol.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i dont think he'd get picked up honestly... everyone has 1 or 2 GlutenFree's in their own system...
I think he would. Somehow leads team in +/-. Still young. Extremely cheap. Not signed beyond this year. Had a nice playoffs last season. It's a zero-risk proposition. The team who claimed him would owe him, what, like $400k for the rest of the year? That's nothing. Someone would take a shot.

Old
11-29-2011, 11:09 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Why would anyone claim him at this point?
He had a good run in the playoffs but clearly isn't the same player this season.

The number of good plays that he's made this season are probably in the single digits.
Six of his seven assists are secondary assists and the only one of those that I remember really making the play was his pass to Pominville against Winnipeg in OT.
He averages less than a shot per game, has a bad giveaway/takeaway ratio (18 to 4), doesn't block shots (every other regular has nearly twice as many), and doesn't hit (three hits on the season).
He gets sheltered minutes and is a liability at even strength (even sometimes on the power play) and doesn't help the power play much.
Even if you look past statistics, he's simply just not very good.

He's basically just a cheap warm body that has nothing but an Eddie Shore Award to his name, which has been won by great defensemen such as Johnny Boychuk, Sheldon Brookbank, Andy Delmore, Danny Groulx, and Andrew Hutchinson in the five seasons before him.
The only notable ever to win it is Niklas Kronwall.

Pretty much every team has a Gragnani in their system (a warm body capable of playing sheltered minutes) or a prospect that is more deserving of the ice time.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote