HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vanek-Adam-Pominville

Old
11-29-2011, 11:24 PM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
Vanek-Adam-Pominville

People at the beginning of the season were attributing Luke Adam's early success to playing with Vanek and Pominville. But since he's been removed, he's played decently enough. Vanek and Pominville have also been solid, but not the type of numbers they put up early on.

Is it just me or is it time to put this line back together and hope they can find that chemistry once again?

dkollidas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Might as well, nobody else is scoring, get VAP going again, maybe we can win with one line going again.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Every game a handful of us mention that Ruff should put the VAP line together.... Does it change anything?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
People at the beginning of the season were attributing Luke Adam's early success to playing with Vanek and Pominville. But since he's been removed, he's played decently enough. Vanek and Pominville have also been solid, but not the type of numbers they put up early on.

Is it just me or is it time to put this line back together and hope they can find that chemistry once again?
I still can't figure out why it was ever separated.

Hecht is just as good as Adam, but there is still something missing. I think Vanek and Pomms like playing with somebody new to the league.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

ruff is killing this team with his idiocy....
new pet theory:
having a back up goaltender capable of playing every 4th/5th game has lead to him needing to find a new area of the team to mismanage

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:40 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
ruff is killing this team with his idiocy....
new pet theory:
having a back up goaltender capable of playing every 4th/5th game has lead to him needing to find a new area of the team to mismanage
I truly laughed out loud at this. Vintage. A "pet theory"!!!

If one thing is bothering me about Ruff this year, it's Gragnani. Playing him with everyone healthy was a head-scratcher. Forcing him PP minutes after diminishing the value of having a power play is even more of a head-scratcher.

But very nice

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:46 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Forcing him PP minutes after diminishing the value of having a power play is even more of a head-scratcher.
Or giving him that time over one of the better PP point men in the NHL that you not just signed, but traded for the rights to TALK to for 24 hours.

Probably not the thread for that discussion. Maybe we should have a "Crucify Marc-Andre Gragnani here" thread

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:47 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Or giving him that time over one of the better PP point men in the NHL that you not just signed, but traded for the rights to TALK to for 24 hours.

Probably not the thread for that discussion. Maybe we should have a "Crucify Marc-Andre Gragnani here" thread
I'd support it. And you know everybody would chime in. One place to hone in on the hatred for him. Clearly, he can derail threads that aren't about him.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The three weeks where Adam was a complete passenger and blowing his defensive assignments or turning the puck over seem so easily forgotten. He's been better in the last couple games than he was in nearly a month prior. He got dropped from Vanek and Pominville because he wasn't doing his job well enough, in particular chance generation. He looked like a lost rookie for a while, so lets not set him up as persectuted in the face of make-believe "good play".

11-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Luceni

Vanek - Adam - Pomineville
Ennis - Roy - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - Tropp
McCormick - Hecht - Kaleta

Get rid of Stafford, Leino, Boyes.... Yes, I said it.....

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The three weeks where Adam was a complete passenger and blowing his defensive assignments or turning the puck over seem so easily forgotten. He's been better in the last couple games than he was in nearly a month prior. He got dropped from Vanek and Pominville because he wasn't doing his job well enough, in particular chance generation. He looked like a lost rookie for a while, so lets not set him up as persectuted in the face of make-believe "good play".
Yup. Adam sucked for a good couple weeks with Vanek and Pominville, so he got moved. He continued to suck for awhile, and now lately he's been picking up his game again. Moving him off that line wasn't a terrible decision at the time.

That said, moving him back there right now makes sense. Hecht doesn't do much for that line and would be more useful playing the wing elsewhere.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post

That said, moving him back there right now makes sense. Hecht doesn't do much for that line and would be more useful playing the wing elsewhere.
Hecht's been very good in 3 out of the 4 games he's played (Columbus game was an all-around stinker).

Maybe it's Vanek and Pommer cooling off that's an issue, rather than Hecht.
He's played with Pommer before, with great success, he's not new to the role.

Signed:

Corto, The Defender of Hecht

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Hecht's been very good in 3 out of the 4 games he's played (Columbus game was an all-around stinker).

Maybe it's Vanek and Pommer cooling off that's an issue, rather than Hecht.
He's played with Pommer before, with great success, he's not new to the role.

Signed:

Corto, The Defender of Hecht
He's been OK since getting back. I just think he's a better player on the wing. He doesn't look terrible at center, but his game is more effective on the wing.

As for him playing with Pominville and having success, true, but again it was on the wing and with one of the best centers in the league. His production hasn't been anywhere close to what it was with Briere here. Pominville and Vanek on the other hand have been producing very well without Hecht.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
He's been OK since getting back. I just think he's a better player on the wing. He doesn't look terrible at center, but his game is more effective on the wing.

As for him playing with Pominville and having success, true, but again it was on the wing and with one of the best centers in the league. His production hasn't been anywhere close to what it was with Briere here. Pominville and Vanek on the other hand have been producing very well without Hecht.
I'm just semi-serious, no worries.

Ideally, we'd get a real #1A / #1B center to play with TV and Pommer tbh.

Til that happens, it's always gonna be up in the air.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:41 AM
PanicItsVanek26

I would like to see Adam get on the line with Vanek and Pominville. Hecht is not a center and sure as hell doesn't belong as the first line center(not that Adam is either) but it worked early so try it again. Van is #1 in the league at points per 60 minutes at 3.86 and Pominville is 12th at 3.42. Forget Bobby Ryan go after a center. I wouldn't mind a trade involving anyone but 26 or 29 for a center.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:44 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Hecht has been fantastic individually, but his effort isn't really turning into chemistry with his line. I'm still in favor of risking moving Pominville to center full time, and moving up Stafford or another winger.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Zamuz

try Leino with Vanek?

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:48 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Agreed, I like Adam but he seems to get a pass more often then not.

What about putting Gaustad between Vanek and Pommers?

Vanek-Gaustad-Pominville
Gerbe-Roy-Kassian
Ennis-Hecht-Stafford
Leino-Adam-PK/Cody/Tropp?

Its something different thats for sure..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
try Leino with Vanek?
Lindy tried it for a whole period. Apparently that was enough.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Lindy tried it for a whole period. Apparently that was enough.
It lasted even less than that. It was the Flyers game and they were down 2 before that line even saw the ice, so Lindy just went back to VAP after like two shifts.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Ennis and Kaleta likely to return tomorrow. Here are my lines:

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Leino-Roy-Kassian
Ennis-Hecht-Stafford
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Vanek-Adam-Pominville

Luke was slumping for awhile, but he's looked much better in the last two games. Hecht has performed well between Vanek-Pominville, but the wingers looked to have cooled off. Interesting Stat: Luke Adam's 3.07 pts/60 mins played at 5-on-5 is second only to Vanek's 3.09 pts/60 mins played at 5-on-5. For reference, Pommer and Roy are third and fourth with 2.80 and 2.24, respectively. Adam blows away the field with 1.75 goals/60 mins played at 5-on-5. The next closest? Vanek at 1.00. Put Luke back up there.

Leino-Roy-Kassian

Two puck possession wingers to do the dirty work for Roy. I liked Leino-Roy-Stafford, and I never would've broken them up in the first place, even with that great 3rd period in Montreal from VRP. Let Leino create possession in the offensive zone, send Kass to the net, and make space to free up Roy's offense. Or let Kass set up offense from down low. I think this could be a good cycle line.

Ennis-Hecht-Stafford

I want Ennis-Stafford back together. They worked well together last year, and they should've started the season together. Hecht there to do the little things on that line and allow for some offensive-zone creativity from Ennis and Stafford.

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

We know what this group can do.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
He definitely went through a tough stretch...

My problem with his demotion is that player treatment is not equal. It's always been the case with Ruff. Vanek demotions, but Roy is teflon. Players know hockey, and it must be surprising when one of the team's leading scorers is demoted, yet Gragnani gets run out there shift after shift, PP after PP... (even before injuries)

Old
12-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Ennis and Kaleta likely to return tomorrow. Here are my lines:

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Leino-Roy-Kassian
Ennis-Hecht-Stafford
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Vanek-Adam-Pominville

Luke was slumping for awhile, but he's looked much better in the last two games. Hecht has performed well between Vanek-Pominville, but the wingers looked to have cooled off. Interesting Stat: Luke Adam's 3.07 pts/60 mins played at 5-on-5 is second only to Vanek's 3.09 pts/60 mins played at 5-on-5. For reference, Pommer and Roy are third and fourth with 2.80 and 2.24, respectively. Adam blows away the field with 1.75 goals/60 mins played at 5-on-5. The next closest? Vanek at 1.00. Put Luke back up there.

Leino-Roy-Kassian

Two puck possession wingers to do the dirty work for Roy. I liked Leino-Roy-Stafford, and I never would've broken them up in the first place, even with that great 3rd period in Montreal from VRP. Let Leino create possession in the offensive zone, send Kass to the net, and make space to free up Roy's offense. Or let Kass set up offense from down low. I think this could be a good cycle line.

Ennis-Hecht-Stafford

I want Ennis-Stafford back together. They worked well together last year, and they should've started the season together. Hecht there to do the little things on that line and allow for some offensive-zone creativity from Ennis and Stafford.

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

We know what this group can do.
That should be the lines... no question.

Old
12-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
He definitely went through a tough stretch...

My problem with his demotion is that player treatment is not equal. It's always been the case with Ruff. Vanek demotions, but Roy is teflon. Players know hockey, and it must be surprising when one of the team's leading scorers is demoted, yet Gragnani gets run out there shift after shift, PP after PP... (even before injuries)
The notion that Ruff is trying to turn Gragnani into Campbell is a dogged one that I can't shake. Not that MAG has the skating or competitiveness Soupy has always had, just the way he's being utilized.

It's funny to see Marc soak up the Connolly time on the PP and he is basically getting the Connolly assists -- 2nd assists that he didn't do much to garner other than passpasspasspass the puck.

Adam has been moving his feet, getting into position and getting things on net again. With Vanek-Pominville relatively cool now, it might not be a bad time to plug him in there for a few nights to see if they can recapture some of their early season form as a trio.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:01 AM
HiddenInLight

It should have been done a long time ago. It helps to hide our glaring need for a number one center.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote