HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corey Crawford 11-7-2, .898 pct

Old
12-04-2011, 03:43 AM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

vCash: 500
Crawford kind of reminds me of Michael Leighton, a respectable work horse type but not necessarily consistent enough to be a NHL starter. When Crawford is on he's a great goalie but he seems to struggle to keep that focus from game to game. I could see the 'Hawks grabbing someone like Nabokov with their second round pick as insurance for a run if Crawford doesn't show improvement as the starter. This is just an outsider's opinion.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:57 AM
icekoob

As with all of our players, they are the savior when they're playing well and **** when they're not playing their best.

Not at all losing faith in CC, he'll bounce back.

icekoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:34 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Crawford kind of reminds me of Michael Leighton, a respectable work horse type but not necessarily consistent enough to be a NHL starter. When Crawford is on he's a great goalie but he seems to struggle to keep that focus from game to game. I could see the 'Hawks grabbing someone like Nabokov with their second round pick as insurance for a run if Crawford doesn't show improvement as the starter. This is just an outsider's opinion.
They need someone to push him, not a buddy to go out with and drink beers with over conversations about how the defense is hanging them both out to dry. Nabby would fit the profile.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
A young starting goaltender that will not cost you games and actively win you games makes a lot more then 2.6 million.
we have the assets and Cap Space. We want to win now and have a good chance. I would kill to get Quick for Crawford +

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:57 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
we have the assets and Cap Space. We want to win now and have a good chance. I would kill to get Quick for Crawford +
So would I. Why would the Kings do that though? The only reason they'd consider moving Quick is to give Bernier his shot.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
IllinoisRedWingsFan

In my view (I am speaking as a Wings fan) Crawford isn't great but he certainly isn't bad. I think his biggest problem is his Defense. Regarding the idea for Quick I can't see LA doing Quick for Crawford straight up.

IllinoisRedWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Sevanston

Lombardi has said several times that he's keeping both Quick and Bernier for as long as he can.

I don't think Crawford would be enough to make him change his mind.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:00 AM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
.900 is about right for Crawford. He's not a great, elite #1 guy. He's likely in the bottom third as far as starters. What he is is cheap, reliable, mechanically sound and mentally tough. That combination with a good team in front of him will win a lot of games.

When the hawks were getting 9 shots more per game - and giving up together the least amount of shots + puck possession - they could afford that. But this year that's not going to be the case, at least as this team is now constructed. When the goalie is giving up 0.6 goals/30 shots than the median goalie (~.920 SV% this year), he is putting his team in a big hole every night. Remember the hawks earned as many points in Niemi's 37 games as Huet's 45 games with a .017 SV% advantage in the SC year to illustrate the point (though I am sick of comparisons to that team)

I think Crawford can play better - and he should if he is, in fact, mechanically sound, mentally tough and reliable. If he can't, he's not a horse and the hawks need to acquire a 1a/1b and ride the hot guy.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
So would I. Why would the Kings do that though? The only reason they'd consider moving Quick is to give Bernier his shot.
not saying they want to move him or consider it, but I'd still love it

I hope we go after Harding/Montoya

would be a good battle for the #1 spot

Old
12-06-2011, 09:30 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

I like CC and am nohere near ready to give up on him but his poor side-to-side movement has always bothered me...it's like he is so slow going from post to post, his lower body seems very inflexable. I guess that's the reason Flurrey was the #1 pick the year CC was drafted much later. Being a life long hawks fan Living in Pittsburgh I get to see M A-F a lot and the difference in quickness and flexabilty is staggering..Crawford must be square on every shot with little margin for error.

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:45 AM
MagicSlap*

Not sure if anybody reads Goalie Guild but they did an absolutely awesome piece on Crawford, detailing a lot of his struggles and relating it to the sophomore slump...

http://thegoalieguild.com/2011/12/co...ynamic-entity/

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I hope Crawford uses this time off doesn't make Crawford a headcase.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:29 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
I hope Crawford uses this time off doesn't make Crawford a headcase.
It seems a lot of Hawks starters struggle, Huet,Khabby and Turco all lost their chances at some point.

It seems like they get cold at times and when there's a turnover they are left out to hang. It's easy for Anderson,or Theodore for example because they get a lot of shots which they see. Sometimes having Keith and Seabrook scramble maybe makes it harder rather than just give the goalie an unscreened shot.

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Hawkaholic

At what point do we start looking at a new goalie coach? Our goalies have been (Mod edit) since they have been in Chicago.

Look at these guys he has coached. Jocelyn Thibault, Brian Boucher, Felix Potvin, Jean-SébastienAubin, Jimmy Waite, Craig Anderson, Michael Leighton, Patrick Lalime, Nikolai Khabibulin, Cristobal Huet, AnttiNiemi, Marty Turco and Corey Crawford

Seriously?

Khabibulin was decent while he was here, but that was natural talent, he was better in Tampa/Phoenix than here.
Anderson is an OK goalie, but he has been better else where, not in Chicago.

I don't care how long he has been here, maybe it's time to change goalie coaches. For those that don't agree, whatever.

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 12-08-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:48 PM
icekoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
At what point do we start looking at a new goalie coach? Our goalies have been crap since they have been in Chicago.

Look at these guys he has coached. Jocelyn Thibault, Brian Boucher, Felix Potvin, Jean-SébastienAubin, Jimmy Waite, Craig Anderson, Michael Leighton, Patrick Lalime, Nikolai Khabibulin, Cristobal Huet, AnttiNiemi, Marty Turco and Corey Crawford

Seriously?

Khabibulin was decent while he was here, but that was natural talent, he was better in Tampa/Phoenix than here.

I don't care how long he has been here, maybe it's time to change goalie coaches. For those that don't agree, whatever.
I can agree with this. It seems many of these named goalies have been great before he coached them. Maybe trying to change their natural abilities/tendencies too much?

Old
12-08-2011, 07:51 PM
icekoob

And as far as CC i feel like he's certainly changed his form. Where last year he would keep the big body in the net, usually hugging a post and taking nearly all room away. He seems to be coming out- not far but enough that opens more space for pucks to go in.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:23 PM
HawksTillDeath

i think crawford is going to bounce back

he's a solid goalie with great technique who just needs to go back to basics

hes a hard worker (going in before practice starts) and I'm sure that the hard work is going to pay off

if we do trade for a goalie from another team (which i won't)
i'd really like lindback or montoya..

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
At what point do we start looking at a new goalie coach? Our goalies have been (mod edit) since they have been in Chicago.

Seriously?

Khabibulin played on some brutal Hawk teams and so did Anderson ,,, How are you putting that on Waite?

Niemi and Crawford have played well under Waite

Lalime and Turco were past there primes , Aubin was career minor leaguer , Leighton is AHL/NHL tweener and always has been , Boucher journeyman backup... Again what did Waite have to do with these guys as Hawks goalie coach? He isn't a magician who could somehow turned back time in case of Turco/Lalime

And Thibault was pretty solid #1 (Had his weaknesses but those were always part of his game thru many different goalie coaches/teams , etc)

Huet was a wreck because he allowed horrible goals that were just absolutely horrible

Seriously until 2008 the Hawks had no talent on teams defensively ,,, Goalies had no hope of success

Since 08 we have had strong seasons by Khabibulin , Niemi (Cup win) and Crawford..

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:59 AM
digdug41982

Lalime was actually decent with the Hawks, played over his head his last year. I don't see any problems with the goalie coach at all. He's an asset.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekoob View Post
And as far as CC i feel like he's certainly changed his form. Where last year he would keep the big body in the net, usually hugging a post and taking nearly all room away. He seems to be coming out- not far but enough that opens more space for pucks to go in.
Exactly. He's started to go back to the old style though, but he definitely needs practice in it because he isn't soaking up rebounds as well as last year just yet.

Old
12-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I don't really see differences in his style compared to the start of this season.

The Vrbata goal was a good example. He was too agressiv.

Old
12-10-2011, 01:40 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

NHLBlackhawks Chicago Blackhawks
Coach Q: Ray Emery will start in net tomorrow against the SJ Sharks. #Blackhawks

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:28 PM
stingo

Awesome.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:02 PM
zac

The defense is the biggest problem here as there were games we either won or stayed in SOLELY because of Crawford. Our defensemen don't clear the crease of traffic, the entire team routinely falls asleep in the defensive zone, and we give up a ridiculous number of odd-man rushes and breakaways due to our ineptitude (not even takeaways, usually on line changes).

The biggest issue with this team, as has been the case most of Q's tenure is the coaching. It was somewhat masked with a talented roster when we won the Cup, but the same flaws in team execution, ie areas where the coach should and can make a difference, are obvious. How many teams can you think of, and I'm talking all-time, give up 2-4 great scoring chances a game because of horrendous line changes? I can't think of one other than this team, and it's been that way ever since he's got here. Add that to the special teams fiascos and lack of team cohesion in the defensive zone and you have a coaching change needing to happen.

Unfortunately this team is so supremely talented that it's able to overcome the lack of brains behind the bench juuussstttt enough to rank near the top of the league in points (we also have 2-3 games in hand over many of our peers) and to not qualify as "struggling". The fact is this team often looks like **** even when they win, and has for the better part of two years now. I understand the goalie is the easiest change to make, but the real change needs to occur behind the bench. Rocky probably isn't looking to make a change as I'm sure he's been snowballed by the Cup but he should. Q is the biggest problem on the team right now, bar-none.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
The defense is the biggest problem here as there were games we either won or stayed in SOLELY because of Crawford. Our defensemen don't clear the crease of traffic, the entire team routinely falls asleep in the defensive zone, and we give up a ridiculous number of odd-man rushes and breakaways due to our ineptitude (not even takeaways, usually on line changes).

The biggest issue with this team, as has been the case most of Q's tenure is the coaching. It was somewhat masked with a talented roster when we won the Cup, but the same flaws in team execution, ie areas where the coach should and can make a difference, are obvious. How many teams can you think of, and I'm talking all-time, give up 2-4 great scoring chances a game because of horrendous line changes? I can't think of one other than this team, and it's been that way ever since he's got here. Add that to the special teams fiascos and lack of team cohesion in the defensive zone and you have a coaching change needing to happen.

Unfortunately this team is so supremely talented that it's able to overcome the lack of brains behind the bench juuussstttt enough to rank near the top of the league in points (we also have 2-3 games in hand over many of our peers) and to not qualify as "struggling". The fact is this team often looks like **** even when they win, and has for the better part of two years now. I understand the goalie is the easiest change to make, but the real change needs to occur behind the bench. Rocky probably isn't looking to make a change as I'm sure he's been snowballed by the Cup but he should. Q is the biggest problem on the team right now, bar-none.
A lot teams have caught up to the Hawks in games played (some even have more games played) and most of the ones that haven't are only back by one game. Not a huge deal but worth pointing out.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 12-11-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote