HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

LF adult hockey school in GTA/Toronto

Old
11-27-2011, 12:28 AM
hkyplayer03

vCash: 500
LF adult hockey school in GTA/Toronto

Been on the ice for about 5 years now, been playing shinny and d division mens league. I'm at a decent level skating and shooting wise, but looking to improve. One of my main problems is getting open and receiving passes from the defense in the neutral zone.

Anyone recommend a hockey school for adults in the GTA/Toronto area to refine skills?

So far I've tried Canlan hockey school for adults. Was ok, but the instructors weren't the greatest.

Thanks,

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Pedagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayer03 View Post
Been on the ice for about 5 years now, been playing shinny and d division mens league. I'm at a decent level skating and shooting wise, but looking to improve. One of my main problems is getting open and receiving passes from the defense in the neutral zone.

Anyone recommend a hockey school for adults in the GTA/Toronto area to refine skills?

So far I've tried Canlan hockey school for adults. Was ok, but the instructors weren't the greatest.

Thanks,
Good thread, I too would like to know of hockey schools in the GTA. I was going to try the classes at Canlan Etobicoke but from what you are saying it's not worth it. It might depend on which Canlan rink you go to though as I heard the classes at Canlan Etobicoke weren't that bad.

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
If you feel like waiting until June, Weekend Warriors does a camp in Buffalo. Its a little pricey but well worth the money. I improved more in one weekend then I did over years of playing.
http://www.weekendwarriorshockey.com...nts&Itemid=178

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:17 PM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedagogue View Post
Good thread, I too would like to know of hockey schools in the GTA. I was going to try the classes at Canlan Etobicoke but from what you are saying it's not worth it. It might depend on which Canlan rink you go to though as I heard the classes at Canlan Etobicoke weren't that bad.

I tried canlan scarborough, and out of 10 classes the instructor was a no show for 3 of them. The level 2 skills were fairly basic, we would start off with crossovers around the blue circles. The rest of the class was skating in the neutral zone, receiving passes from classmates and shooting on net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
If you feel like waiting until June, Weekend Warriors does a camp in Buffalo. Its a little pricey but well worth the money. I improved more in one weekend then I did over years of playing.
http://www.weekendwarriorshockey.com...nts&Itemid=178
Thanks, will definitely give it a good look. As a student June would be perfect, it's just enough time to make the money and it's summer break

Old
11-27-2011, 06:46 PM
DJH

Try looking for the Canlans / icesports game situations techniques and strategies. It will deal with more of what you're looking for and is a good start.

DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:56 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayer03
I tried canlan scarborough, and out of 10 classes the instructor was a no show for 3 of them. The level 2 skills were fairly basic, we would start off with crossovers around the blue circles. The rest of the class was skating in the neutral zone, receiving passes from classmates and shooting on net.
It's a shame because that location used to have really a really good adult hockey academy, but the quality of instruction has gone down a fair bit. I remember when I did it back in 2009 the instructors were very personable and would joke around with us. They'd also give us feedback on what we were doing.

I tried taking one again early this summer and just stopped going after the third week. They oversold the class big-time and just ran you through the drills without any instruction beyond a quick demo or feedback as to what you were doing. It was funny because I saw people beside me doing things terribly wrong and probably gave the people around me more advice than the instructors did.

If you get private lessons (or semi-private if you can get some other guys) you'll usually get one of their better guys (at Ice Sports Scarborough it'll likely be Mark or Dennis, both great guys but IDK if Mark is still around) though I'd imagine that it's very expensive.

My advice? If your schedule allows it, go to Stick and Puck. As long as school is in session the AM and PM classes are both pretty empty. Usually you can stake your claim to a section of ice and people will stay out of your way, beyond the odd idiot that skates around like he's the king of the ice. Be prepared to have your pucks stolen too!! I try to do this one a week to work mainly on balance and conditioning.

Hockey Toronto has something called a skills session as well, but I think it's more for people learning the basic fundamental skills of hockey.

Last edited by noobman: 11-27-2011 at 10:05 PM.
noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Zuuuuc

There is a place called National Training Rink in Richmond Hill (Also in Barrie and Newmarket) that provides training for all levels of skaters and hockey players. The location in Richmond Hill is headed up by Rick Cornacchia who used to coach in the OHL for 11 years and has over 30 years of skating and hockey training under his belt.
http://www.ntrcanada.com/richmond-hill/ is the website if you want to check it out.
Like other posters have said, there are a lot of Canlan Ice Sports around, there is one on Victoria Park just north of McNicoll, one at York University (across from the Rexall Tennis Centre) and another one in Scarborough at Markham and Passmore (just south of Steeles.) I know there are more Canlan locations but those are the ones I go to for Stick and Puck occasionally so those are the ones I am most familiar with. Hope that helps

Zuuuuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Rink Bum

Contact Brian@bladeblaze.com

via his site bladeblaze.com

Talk to him and see what he can offer and what you're looking for. The site gives a list of what he teaches - novice to intermediate as well as advanced players.

He has two entry points September and then in January for adult hockey school on Sunday nights at Vaughan Iceplex at 10pm.

Started ice hockey four years ago like you...thought I could improve by playing more games, but that's not the case since you have limited ice time in league games. So instead I joined in the school and found direction on what I should be doing. Been doing it for four sessions and for me, it's made huge improvements.

The school and just watching advanced players on what they do, I've picked up alot.....but still so much to learn......challenging and always looking to improve.

Sorry, I haven't tried ASHL or Tru North hockey schools/training.....so I can't comment other than Tru North is said to be good for beginners with their split training half the season and then league for the second half.

But like I said, best to chat with Brian and see if his program is what you're looking for.

Rink Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:31 PM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb1985 View Post
There is a place called National Training Rink in Richmond Hill (Also in Barrie and Newmarket) that provides training for all levels of skaters and hockey players. The location in Richmond Hill is headed up by Rick Cornacchia who used to coach in the OHL for 11 years and has over 30 years of skating and hockey training under his belt.
http://www.ntrcanada.com/richmond-hill/ is the website if you want to check it out.
Like other posters have said, there are a lot of Canlan Ice Sports around, there is one on Victoria Park just north of McNicoll, one at York University (across from the Rexall Tennis Centre) and another one in Scarborough at Markham and Passmore (just south of Steeles.) I know there are more Canlan locations but those are the ones I go to for Stick and Puck occasionally so those are the ones I am most familiar with. Hope that helps
Thanks for the post, from what I see after a quick glance at work they offer mainly 18 and under programs but will def inquire regarding adult classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink Bum View Post
Contact Brian@bladeblaze.com

via his site bladeblaze.com

Talk to him and see what he can offer and what you're looking for. The site gives a list of what he teaches - novice to intermediate as well as advanced players.

He has two entry points September and then in January for adult hockey school on Sunday nights at Vaughan Iceplex at 10pm.

Started ice hockey four years ago like you...thought I could improve by playing more games, but that's not the case since you have limited ice time in league games. So instead I joined in the school and found direction on what I should be doing. Been doing it for four sessions and for me, it's made huge improvements.

The school and just watching advanced players on what they do, I've picked up alot.....but still so much to learn......challenging and always looking to improve.

Sorry, I haven't tried ASHL or Tru North hockey schools/training.....so I can't comment other than Tru North is said to be good for beginners with their split training half the season and then league for the second half.

But like I said, best to chat with Brian and see if his program is what you're looking for.
Yep, I have heard and seen the bladeblaze youtube video's online, skills they highlighted such as puck protection are definitely up my ally. Thanks will def give them a shout.

Old
11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

god i wish i lived in toronto! no adult hockey schools in southern california

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote