HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Which contracts are responsible/

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2004, 04:36 PM
hockeytown9321

vCash: 500
Which contracts are responsible?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...78&hubName=nhl

I'd also add in Thornton's rookie contract, and the offer sheet Carolina made to Fedorov in 1998.

Anybody think of other deals that raised the bar?

Last edited by hockeytown9321: 09-20-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old
09-20-2004, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytown9321

I'd also add in Thornton's rookie contract, and the offer sheet Carolina made to Fedorov in 1998.

I agree with the examples given in the article, but I don't see the parallels in your two examples.

Thornton's rookie contract surely kept the bar raised high, but other than Kovalchuk, I can't really think of too many who benefited by comparing to the Thornton contract.

Same with the Fedorov contract. That ended up being one of the last, if not the last offer sheet that was signed. There were not other contracts that were top loaded with all incentives and a lower guarantee like that. It no doubt helped to raise the bar for UFA's like Turgeon & Roenick, but I think the Sakic contract is more responsible for the Federov contract and so on.

Old
09-20-2004, 05:02 PM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
I agree with the examples given in the article, but I don't see the parallels in your two examples.

Thornton's rookie contract surely kept the bar raised high, but other than Kovalchuk, I can't really think of too many who benefited by comparing to the Thornton contract.

Same with the Fedorov contract. That ended up being one of the last, if not the last offer sheet that was signed. There were not other contracts that were top loaded with all incentives and a lower guarantee like that. It no doubt helped to raise the bar for UFA's like Turgeon & Roenick, but I think the Sakic contract is more responsible for the Federov contract and so on.
Right, I'm just thinking of contracts that were huge for their time.

Fedorov got something like $28 million for 4 months of work in 98. I know his deal averaged out to about $6 million a year, but the Red Wings were thinking more in the $4-5 million range when resigning him. And just for the record, that offer sheet was made of of spite, becuase Karmanos and Ilitch don't like each other, and Karmanos knew Ilitch would match it. And Karmanos is one of the owners crying and complaining now.

Old
09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Digger12

Quote:
And just for the record, that offer sheet was made of of spite, becuase Karmanos and Ilitch don't like each other, and Karmanos knew Ilitch would match it. And Karmanos is one of the owners crying and complaining now.
Exhibit A right there about why this league is where it is...

Too many owners trying to throw each other under the bus for the benefit of their own franchise, not enough owners regarding each other as partners in a larger business.

Old
09-20-2004, 07:12 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:

Prospects using the college loophole to become UFAs who get bigger than usual salaries. This promotes envy amoungst other rookies.

TO offered Ohlund $2m/y as a rookie. That hurt the nucks, but I don't think it flowed through to the NHL as whole.

Last edited by me2: 09-20-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old
09-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Tom_Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Prospects using the college loophole to become UFAs who get bigger than usual salaries. This promotes envy amoungst other rookies.

TO offered Ohlund $2m/y as a rookie. That hurt the nucks, but I don't think it flowed through to the NHL as whole.
I don't think any of these contracts flowed through to the NHL as a whole. The articles is wrong about both the Kariya and Lindros contracts because neither player was governed by the entry level salary structure.

The Sakic contract did lead to the Lindros one. The Fedorov contract was also crazy and probably cost the NHL more than any other deal. Both Jagr and Bure had clauses in their contracts that went:

"If Pavel gets 40 goals, 90 points in season X, he is guaranteed the average of the top three players in the NHL." His salary jumped from $5 million to nearly $9 million when Fedorov made $28 million. Tkachuk's deal - another ill-advised RFA offered contract - was also inflationary.

When these offers were being made, salaries were increasing from 15-20% a year. Those kinds of increases ended several years ago. There is a clear distinction to be made between players who came into the NHL before the new CBA and after the new CBA.

Tom

Closed Thread