HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Coaching and Glen Cigar Thread Part V

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
All Encompassing Coaching and Glen Cigar Thread Part V

Go..

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
Fix the PP please.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Greg02

vCash: 500
I think you skipped a number.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:12 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
I think you skipped a number.
They haven't learned Roman Numerals in 10th grade yet.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:15 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
So the question is, do you respond to your loss with a major reworking of your forwards? Or do you respond with tweaks and prudence? For me, it depends on the team. I think the Sharks are a team that could have used a major reworking a while back, as they're a group that tends to underachieve in the playoffs. Given the method of the Rangers success last year, to the point that we attained success, I really don't think a major rework was in order.
What would you suggest the tweaks be? I think we have a far better team this year playing more difficult competition. The Caps of this year were better than either of the 2 teams we beat last year, the Bruins especially.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:16 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
What would you suggest the tweaks be? I think we have a far better team this year playing more difficult competition. The Caps of this year were better than either of the 2 teams we beat last year, the Bruins especially.
This...

Caps seemed tougher last year because ovechkin did alot more... Our defense has improved and therefore we slowed his production...

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471214

Listen, there is no reason why we can't make the ECF again. Will we win a cup? Probably not... But nobody thought the kings would win a cup either, and they did

Old
05-20-2013, 07:35 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
The PP was broken when Torts rolled into town...remember Pearn and Renney getting castigated for it? Pearn for his ties and obligatory between periods interviews that were always the same and Renney chewing his gum impassively.

Ironically enough Pearn went to the Canadiens and ran a pretty effective PP for a hot second after leaving NY.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:54 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
The PP was broken when Torts rolled into town...remember Pearn and Renney getting castigated for it? Pearn for his ties and obligatory between periods interviews that were always the same and Renney chewing his gum impassively.

Ironically enough Pearn went to the Canadiens and ran a pretty effective PP for a hot second after leaving NY.
The players on the ice have changed often enough to lead me to believe that it is a coaching problem.

Old
05-21-2013, 04:37 AM
Chimp

I don't know if it was bad or good I watched the World Championships, but it seriously woke me up to the horrible on ice product the NHL has turned into. Big ice has less hitting and probably is a little bit too big, but man, are they allowed to play some hockey. Crisp passing, cycling that actually leads to something, passing the puck back to the D-men when you cannot enter the zone instead of dumping it away every ****ing time, room for the PP to produce in the zone, are you kidding me?

Yes, NHL today is a qualitative mess overall and it has gotten worse and worse every year, but Torts has single handedly killed my interest in watching the Rangers for me. Yes, it's that bad now.

I've watched a brutal majority of all Rangers games since 2005, but now I'm taking a serious break in the middle of the playoffs. I'm not being entertained, I'm being everything else but entertained. I can't watch hockey out of duty.

Torts has reinvented the trap that killed hockey once, it's just called JAM instead. Uneventfully grinding the board behind the net for 50 minutes, 0/2000 on the PP, blocking 90% of all shots, always dumping the puck preparing for the backcheck instead of gaining with any sort of possession... I just can't take it anymore. In the middle of the playoffs. That's how serious this is.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I don't know if it was bad or good I watched the World Championships, but it seriously woke me up to the horrible on ice product the NHL has turned into. Big ice has less hitting and probably is a little bit too big, but man, are they allowed to play some hockey. Crisp passing, cycling that actually leads to something, passing the puck back to the D-men when you cannot enter the zone instead of dumping it away every ****ing time, room for the PP to produce in the zone, are you kidding me?

Yes, NHL today is a qualitative mess overall and it has gotten worse and worse every year, but Torts has single handedly killed my interest in watching the Rangers for me. Yes, it's that bad now.

I've watched a brutal majority of all Rangers games since 2005, but now I'm taking a serious break in the middle of the playoffs. I'm not being entertained, I'm being everything else but entertained. I can't watch hockey out of duty.

Torts has reinvented the trap that killed hockey once, it's just called JAM instead. Uneventfully grinding the board behind the net for 50 minutes, 0/2000 on the PP, blocking 90% of all shots, always dumping the puck preparing for the backcheck instead of gaining with any sort of possession... I just can't take it anymore. In the middle of the playoffs. That's how serious this is.
IMO, the Rangers this year are FAR more exciting than last year in the playoffs. The Brassard line itself is far more exciting than anything we put up last year. Hell I think Stepan is more exciting than the Richards of last year.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I thought Torts doesn't discuss the opposing team or players. From: @GlobeFluto
Sent: May 21, 2013 10:37a

Tortorella thinks Marchand might be best player in series.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/GlobeFluto/status/336853173673271296

Old
05-21-2013, 10:04 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
NHL on TSN ‏@NHLonTSN 2m
Dreger on Tortorella: "He could find himself out of a job if the NYR are eliminated by BOS in the 2nd round of the playoffs" - on TSN 1050
Dreger.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Dreger.
THERE WILL BE BLOOD!!!

Ugh. Just another season of Sather thinking the team he assembled is better than it actually is.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: May 21, 2013 11:02a

Buzz: John Tortorella Could Be Out Of A Job If The Rangers Lose To Boston http://t.co/zFPAkIISIe

sent via twitterfeed
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AdamRotter/status/336859596775890944

Old
05-21-2013, 10:11 AM
OverTheCap

I wonder where Dreger is hearing this, because Sather basically threw his support behind Torts in a rare interview with Brooks a few days ago.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...uHdIvYMAJIw6QN

Old
05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Riverdale

Somehow I doubt that is true. Haven't other writers said his job is safe?

Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dreger is well connected. Someone told him that. The Rangers front office told him. Francesa hinted game 7 was a big game for some people in the organization. Mike is close to the MSG guys like Barry Watkins who sits next to Dolan at the Knicks game. Torts act has worn thin on the MSG bosses. Brad Richards signing. Hello. That's all Torts. Rangers give $60M. Not even 2 years later and Brad is a fourth line center.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
THERE WILL BE BLOOD!!!

Ugh. Just another season of Sather thinking the team he assembled is better than it actually is.
The more I hear about the clashes between Gorton and Torts, the less I like Torts. That may be due to the fact that I really like Gorton.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dreger is well connected. Someone told him that. The Rangers front office told him. Francesa hinted game 7 was a big game for some people in the organization. Mike is close to the MSG guys like Barry Watkin who sits next to Dolan at the Knicks game. Torts act has worn thin on the MSG bosses. Brad Richards signing. Hello. That's all Torts. Rangers give $60M. Not even 2 years later and Brad is a fourth line center.
Maybe they see, or have heard, of another coach being let go that they really like?

Old
05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Dallas Eakins. Scott Gordon. Wouldn't mind seeing either of them.

What's Ted Nolan up to these days? Willie Desjardins has done a good job with the Texas Stars. Though he's probably a top candidate for the open spot with Dallas.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:22 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
The more I hear about the clashes between Gorton and Torts, the less I like Torts. That may be due to the fact that I really like Gorton.
What have you heard? Not that I don't believe you but haven't seen things said or written. I am a big Gorton fan and truly hope he is the heir apparent to Slats.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Dallas Eakins. Scott Gordon. Wouldn't mind seeing either of them.

What's Ted Nolan up to these days? Willie Desjardins has done a good job with the Texas Stars. Though he's probably a top candidate for the open spot with Dallas.
What about Cory Clouster, the ex Stars coach?

Old
05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Torts, I hate your guts, but I still want the Rangers to win this series.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Where have you heard about any clashes between Torts and Gorton?

Old
05-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Torts came as advertised from a personality standpoint

Sather and company flew by the seat of their pants when they fired Renney and hired Torts.

...this is just more of the same.

Closed Thread