HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Guys you would rather not want to see traded and why

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2011, 06:25 PM
  #1
Mellifleur
Registered User
 
Mellifleur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Guys you would rather not want to see traded and why

With all this trade talk heating up surrounding the Bobby Ryan/Anaheim speculation I have seen a lot of proposals thrown out there. Some of them rather scare me... there are certain people I do NOT want to see traded for one reason or another. I figured starting a thread about what guys you do not want to see traded and why. Here is my list, in no particular order

Vanek : He seems to have really blossomed into a more complete player. He's very valuable on the PP in front of the net. So unless he is going to net a big time center and we can then turn around and trade for an impact LW, I'd rather stand pat with Vanek.

Adam: Unless he is packaged to net a top flight center he should not be touched. He looks like he should become a one of our top 6 forwards (hopefully top 2 center) and he is a package of elements I like. Size, skill and mentality (he goes to the net and doesn't avoid traffic and doesn't hesitate to shoot). I would like to see him start using his size and being a bit more physical, but this is his first season here, so he may yet develop that aspect.

Myers: Yeah he has played like garbage up until his benching. But we have seen what he can be like both physically and ability (defending and contributing on offense). He's a rare blend of size and skating and skill.

Pominville: I actually could deal with trading him. He's not at all physical and I do feel we could use more grit in our top 6, but there are others that I would rather see moved before him to build grit in the top 6. But I just don't know how much value he has around the league and what he would net, so I don't know if trading him would be worth it. It really would depend on what we are getting in return. I feel like trading him would be like treading water. I like him because he's a good 2 way forward for us and showed some signs of being a teamplayer by taking up an interest in faceoffs and improving his ability in them.

McNabb: He is actually the reason I started this thread. I have seen his name brought up a lot in trade proposals. The thought of trading him just terrifies me. I was super excited when we drafted him and have always been very high on him. He's got size and meanness. He hits well and could potentially develop offense like he did in the juniors. His footspeed seems to be an issue (and could hinder his offense developing) but that can be worked on. His nasty disposition and physical willingness is an attitude, not a skill that is developed. Even if he doesn't develop offensively, if he ends up being a defensive blueliner, he is what this team needs. A rough and tumble blueliner with mean streak and the ability to hit. I loved what I saw of him in the Isles game (I missed his debut, being out of town). Sure we have Regehr but we're talking about young kid who could have a long career ahead of him terrorizing opposing forwards, preferably as a Sabre.


Kassian: Size and skill and a bit of a psycho attitude, the ability to be a top 6 forward... just what we want right ? His fight last night was great and he looks pretty good skating. I don't know how people project him to be in terms of offensive prowess but I like what I have seen of him. If he turns out to be a 25g 30a producer within the top 6 and continues to bring the physical element and hand out a necessitated beatdown I would say we'd have a much needed player.

Well that is it for now. I am sure I could think of reasons for not getting rid of other players for one reason or another but these guys (in particular Vanek, McNabb, Myers and Kassian) top my list. The rest of them I feel may be valuable contributors to our team, but I also feel like they can be replaced.


Last edited by Mellifleur: 11-30-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:28 PM
  #2
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,303
vCash: 500
Myers is the only player on this team that I'd have trouble dealing away. I feel that he has the potential to be the best defenseman the Sabres have ever had.

With how this core has played over the past five seasons or so (inconsistent play, mentally fragile, no identity, playoff flake outs), I'm open to trading any of them. Likewise, if dealing guys like Adam, Kassian, McNabb, etc means bettering the roster to make a cup run right now, then I'm open to it.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:31 PM
  #3
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,106
vCash: 500
Sabretooth


Everyone else is expendable for the right price. No player should feel ZERO pressure about underperforming and not being tradebait.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:31 PM
  #4
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,368
vCash: 500
I would trade everyone except Myers and maybe Vanek.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:34 PM
  #5
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,955
vCash: 50
It's amazing McNabb has attained near-untouchable status already, at least based on things said in this and other threads. If he's the difference between getting Bobby Ryan or not, later Brayden.

Here's my exhaustive list:

Myers

--END--

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:37 PM
  #6
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
ImpressedDAHagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,678
vCash: 500
I'd like to see this roster have more nhl regulars then it currently has to make the assessment. Its great that we have depth but the team was built with specific players and their capabilities to perform.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:44 PM
  #7
OpethianSabre20
..........
 
OpethianSabre20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Youngstown, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,123
vCash: 500
My list is pretty short:

-Myers (Future franchise defenseman)
-Vanek (He's the team's best goal scorer by far and he's rounded into a two-way threat)
-Miller (Franchise goaltender)
-Kassian (He's a mean SoB with top-6 potential)
-Regehr (Hits a ton, blocks lots of shots, can shut-down top forwards and make life hell for them)
-Ehrhoff (Kind of hard to trade the guy who's logging a ton of minutes without getting worse. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet either)

The rest are expendable for the right price.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:45 PM
  #8
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
Vanek
Kassian
Enroth

Vanek because he is a true franchise forward, Kassian because he is a rare breed who is now a necessity in the new NhL and Enroth because he is a young great goaltender.

Everyone else, including Myers I would trade in a good deal. Myers has regressed 2 seasons in a row now, it really is frightening how bad he has become.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:47 PM
  #9
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Home of the 'Merks
Country: United States
Posts: 11,659
vCash: 500
I'd trade everyone on the team, but only for the right price. The two I would least like to trade:

1) Myers. I'd only deal him if it was part of a package for an elite forward, preferably center. Think a Stamkos or Malkin blockbuster. (And then hit yourself in the head and stop dreaming.)

2) Kassian. He brings top-six size, skill, and pugnaciousness. That makes his value to this team astronomical. Still, I'd deal him if he was part of a package that brought back a similar but better player (like a Backes type) or that elusive No. 1 center.

As for McNabb...this kid has a great blend. But if he helped fetch a guy of Bobby Ryan's ilk...yeah, hope you enjoy California, kid.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:52 PM
  #10
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post

Everyone else, including Myers I would trade in a good deal. Myers has regressed 2 seasons in a row now, it really is frightening how bad he has become.
After shaking off a rough start, Myers play last season was much better than that of his rookie season, IMO

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:52 PM
  #11
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons
 
Sean McG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
I'm with Zip in that my list kind of begins and ends with Myers... The return would have to be an elite to just below elite player with a favourable contract, and even then I'm not so sure.

Honestly, my number two might be Enroth. His composure is awesome and the way he handled himself through the whole 'goalie controversy' as well as his late-season heroics last year has really sold me; I don't think most 23/24 year olds are able to come close to what he did. With that being said, it obviously depends on the deal, if it saw us bringing an all-star level player or better, I'd sign off on it. This is how I feel about Kassian, Adam, etc for the most part, too.

Sean McG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:55 PM
  #12
Havok89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 500
Myers
Vanek
Ennis
Kassian
Adam
McNabb

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:02 PM
  #13
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,955
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Vanek
Kassian
Enroth

Vanek because he is a true franchise forward, Kassian because he is a rare breed who is now a necessity in the new NhL and Enroth because he is a young great goaltender.

Everyone else, including Myers I would trade in a good deal. Myers has regressed 2 seasons in a row now, it really is frightening how bad he has become.
You'd keep Enroth over Myers? Wow.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:03 PM
  #14
barcs
Registered User
 
barcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,935
vCash: 500
My only untouchable is Vanek, though it's clear that Pominville and Myers could also complete that list.

While I'm enamored by what I've seen in McNabb so far and I would absolutely love to see him grow here, I'd rather use him as a trade asset if it improves the team. I suppose the same goes for Kassian.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:04 PM
  #15
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 10,882
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
My list is pretty short:

-Myers (Future franchise defenseman)
-Vanek (He's the team's best goal scorer by far and he's rounded into a two-way threat)
-Miller (Franchise goaltender)
-Kassian (He's a mean SoB with top-6 potential)
-Regehr (Hits a ton, blocks lots of shots, can shut-down top forwards and make life hell for them)
-Ehrhoff (Kind of hard to trade the guy who's logging a ton of minutes without getting worse. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet either)

The rest are expendable for the right price.
Cut, copy, print. I'd add Roy with the caveat that we'd need a center of equal value coming back.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:14 PM
  #16
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,209
vCash: 500
Awards:
Myers is it for me. Anyone and everyone could be had or put into a deal as far as I'm concerned. His solid stretches at 21 years of age (or less) have been revelatory and point to a player capable in any situation on either side of the ice (offense or defense).

Everyone else? Available in the right deal.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:38 PM
  #17
Mellifleur
Registered User
 
Mellifleur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
I edited my thread title slightly to clarify. I don't want people to make a list of untouchables, in all reality nobody is untouchable. Gretzky got traded.

I understand people stating well if trading player/prospect X means getting somebody who helps us make a run at the Cup then pull the trigger. Bobby Ryan is a very good player, and by the numbers looks like the guy we really would want in our top 6. I haven't see him play much though, how much of a power forward is he ? Does he really use his size well and physically dominate people on a consistent basis? Because that is really what I want to see if we are going to trade for a top 6 type winger now. I don't want another forward that is going to show up some nights and not on other nights. My patience is wearing thin with that act... I want to see guys going hard more and bringing it on a reasonably consistent basis. The season is 82 games long so I can see it if there is some letdown at some point but if you look at what some of our forwards have been like, I am ready to throw the towel in and ship them.

The idea of one forward being such a huge impact (to turn around a team and bring them to the ultimate prize) to me is questionable, especially with this team. Our problems are more than just needing more grit in our top 6. Last night clearly illustrated the need to change the mentality on the team. We need to shoot the puck and go to the net more and be less fancy. Our PP has at times been infuriating, with how much they pass it around... and that isn't just our forwards, it is our pointmen. We also need to be better at stopping the opposing forwards cycle, winning battles in our zone and getting the puck out quicker. We need to cover guys better, not let somebody sneak around and get free.

As for my penchant for keeping McNabb, yes we have plenty of blueline prospects but how many are as physical as McNabb? Brennan and Schiestel seem to be more of what we have, puck moving blueliners with skill. I've been pining for that really nasty and physical blueliner that just hammers guys and makes life miserable for opposing forwards. How many of those guys do we have in our system that look like the really could make the NHL ? I'd rather see us trade any other defensive prospect(s) instead of McNabb. I know the jury is still out on McNabb and he is no lock to be an NHL regular and questions as to where he will eventually end up (top 2? top 4? bottom pairing?) but I really think we need to take the time to find that out ourselves since in the foreseeable future it looks like we really could use a guy like him. Our physical D-men look like this: Regehr, Myers (?), Weber (if he ever gets off the bench in favor of Gragnani). Who knows if we retain Regehr when his contract expires, and what identity will Myers ultimately find to become a consistent blueliner ? Will Weber be a regular or is keeping him on the bench in favor of Gragnani going to be detrimental to his future development and confidence ?

If we are flipping Kassian and something else for Ryan I could be ok with that because I honestly don't see Kassian being better than Ryan (if Ryan is as physical as I hope). But again it'd be nicer to keep Kassian, because imagine in the future a top 6 that contained something like Vanek, Adam, Pominville, Ryan, Kassian plus whatever other center we end up (be it Roy or some other guy we acquire). Then a blueline that was Regehr, Myers, Ehrhoff, Weber, Sekera and McNabb with Schiestel, Brennan and Finley somewhere in the mix.

Oh and for further clarification, Regehr and Ehrhoff are guys I wouldn't really trade, Regehr being the physical lynchpin we have been wanting for some time now and Ehrhoff really fits the bill for the PP point man. I don't believe we have the guys ready now that can step into their shoes and fill those roles on a full time basis.


Last edited by Mellifleur: 11-30-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:44 PM
  #18
CrankyJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Myers...he just signed a long term deal so I picked up a new jersey.

Seriously though, after he was bench he took it to heart and was a monster. I can't wait until he packs on some muscle and starts throwing his weight around with authority. Plus, his slapshot is something to behold.

I see nothing but upside for him.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:50 PM
  #19
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
I would prefer not to trade Adam, Gerbe, McNabb, or Myers.

Adam - I would trade in a package deal for a 1st line center that wasn't past his prime. He just fills too big of a need that this team has struggled to fill.

Gerbe - Kid is such a mix of heart, talent, and intensity. He's a gamer and the type of player that you see on winning teams.

McNabb and Myers are some of the more difficult and expensive types of players to acquire. McNabb doesn't have anywhere near the ceiling that Myers does, but he's still a mix of size, skill, and toughness that is so hard to find in one package.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:55 PM
  #20
PanicItsVanek26
Registered User
 
PanicItsVanek26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portage, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Vanek - I like seeing Buffalo score
Myers - Could eventually become a top D man

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:58 PM
  #21
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
I'd rather us NOT trade anyone that plays with some grit to their game.

The rest.....Vanek and Myers.

Players I would absolutely have no problem leaving:

Roy
Stafford
Pominville
Ennis
Boyes
Gerbe (he has grit....but)
Leino (not likely)
Sekera
Grags
Leopold
Ehrhoff (not likely)
Brennan

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:02 PM
  #22
Mellifleur
Registered User
 
Mellifleur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I would prefer not to trade Adam, Gerbe, McNabb, or Myers.

Adam - I would trade in a package deal for a 1st line center that wasn't past his prime. He just fills too big of a need that this team has struggled to fill.

Gerbe - Kid is such a mix of heart, talent, and intensity. He's a gamer and the type of player that you see on winning teams.

McNabb and Myers are some of the more difficult and expensive types of players to acquire. McNabb doesn't have anywhere near the ceiling that Myers does, but he's still a mix of size, skill, and toughness that is so hard to find in one package.
I agree with what you say, particularly the bolded. Gerbe really has a big heart and is tenacious. I wonder what he could do with regular 2nd line minutes. I do think you do need more of his type to have a championship team. McNabb's offensive skill IMO is still in question, as his footspeed seems to be an issue. But he really showed his physical prowess and willingness vs the Isles and if that is all he brings, for that alone I want to keep him, merely because we don't have enough of that, our blueline balance is skewed towards skill right now.

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
  #23
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Myers - for so many reasons.
Ehrhoff - because he's a big minuter eater who can QB the PP and has a bomb of a shot. Those are hard to find, especially at that cap hit.
Pominville - because I don't think the return would be all that great compared to what he brings
Regehr - see Pominville, add toughness, subtract offense
Vanek - because he's their only semi-lock for 30 goals year in year out
Gerbe - because it's Gerbe
Kassian - because he has the skill set that this top 9 needs
Miller - because I still believe he's part of the solution

McNabb hasn't done enough to justify for me to add him to the list. Weber brings some similar qualities as of right now, so until McNabb lets his offensive skills shine through in the NHL or starts shutting down opponents, I can't bring myself to add him with Regehr, Ehrhoff and Myers already on the list and a bazillion of d-man prospects in the pipeline.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:12 PM
  #24
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
I'd trade anyone on this roster if the deal is in my favor. The only player I'd rather not trade is Myers, but if it's a trade that will improve my roster, I move him.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:23 PM
  #25
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's amazing McNabb has attained near-untouchable status already, at least based on things said in this and other threads. If he's the difference between getting Bobby Ryan or not, later Brayden.

Here's my exhaustive list:

Myers


--END--
we agree... i knew we'd do it once before the year was out

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.