Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Whatcha Drinkin'?

Old
06-18-2012, 09:54 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
So after coming home with at least a 6er (or 4er in the IIPA's case), I think I've come to the conclusion that Black Top is my favorite fairly regular brew from New Glarus. I'm normally not the biggest fan of dark IPA's but that thing is soooo tasty.

(And I still continue to not see what all the fuss is about with Spotted Cow. Moon Man blows it out of the water.)

All in all, we brought back about $200 worth of booze from our mini-trip to Sconnie. After the weekend, the pickings are now slim. (I'd recommend checking out Ale Asylum in Madison if anyone goes. A lot of good, although not great, brews.)

Later this week a buddy and I are going to make the rounds around town and pick up some growlers for the weekend. Yard games and craft beers. Can't get much better.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Loopy0ne
land of 10000 chokes

vCash: 1752
Got Odell's ipa and hoptimum last weekend. I always love Odell's but hadn't tried hoptimum and was hoping for it to be on par with hopslam... I am disappoint , it was not worth the price.

/spoiled by hopslam

Loopy0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Jagged Ice

Pallate Wrecker is by far my new favorite. It's a double IPA from Green Flash brewery, San Diego. Also sampled the strongest beer I've ever had. Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. 18% ABV and 120 IBUs.

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Ice View Post
Also sampled the strongest beer I've ever had. Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. 18% ABV and 120 IBUs.
Everything Dogfish Head makes is like heaven.

I'll have to check out Green Flash Brewery. Did you get it around here? And where?

Old
06-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Jagged Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Everything Dogfish Head makes is like heaven.

I'll have to check out Green Flash Brewery. Did you get it around here? And where?
No I live in Phoenix. You might have a hard time finding the Pallate Wrecker. It's seasonal but the demand for it is so high it's been rumoured to go full time. Anything from Green Flash is crack.

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Ice View Post
No I live in Phoenix. You might have a hard time finding the Pallate Wrecker. It's seasonal but the demand for it is so high it's been rumoured to go full time. Anything from Green Flash is crack.
Ah. I'll check it out when the gal and I make one of our trips to San Francisco.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

A friend turned me on to this, and I'm definitely joining.

http://thebluemoose.net/theback40.htm

You get rewards for each "tour" you do.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Timothy Freitag

Just read through the last few pages, and I need to step up my game. Currently enjoying a Shiner Ruby Redbird.

Timothy Freitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 300
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
My new favorite thanks to @SteveKampfer47
http://twitter.com/MattHackett31/sta...58912191848448

Quote:
Opening new eyes daily @MattHackett31. Glad you are a fan. Many more together
http://twitter.com/SteveKampfer47/st...68568746319873

Hell yeah!

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

I went to the Beer Dabbler at Highland Fest yesterday out in St. Paul. Many great micro brews. I think I drank about 40 different brews but one that I really liked was from Boom Island Brewing Company

http://boomislandbrewing.com/home.html

Their Hoodoo Dubbel was awesome.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
I went to the Beer Dabbler at Highland Fest yesterday out in St. Paul. Many great micro brews. I think I drank about 40 different brews but one that I really liked was from Boom Island Brewing Company

http://boomislandbrewing.com/home.html

Their Hoodoo Dubbel was awesome.
I was planning on going to that but got sick this weekend and figured that would take the fun out of it. It looks like I'm a little late to the party here, but I think I've got a new favorite thread.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
So after coming home with at least a 6er (or 4er in the IIPA's case), I think I've come to the conclusion that Black Top is my favorite fairly regular brew from New Glarus. I'm normally not the biggest fan of dark IPA's but that thing is soooo tasty.

(And I still continue to not see what all the fuss is about with Spotted Cow. Moon Man blows it out of the water.)

All in all, we brought back about $200 worth of booze from our mini-trip to Sconnie. After the weekend, the pickings are now slim. (I'd recommend checking out Ale Asylum in Madison if anyone goes. A lot of good, although not great, brews.)

Later this week a buddy and I are going to make the rounds around town and pick up some growlers for the weekend. Yard games and craft beers. Can't get much better.
They sure do love their Spotted Cow in WI, I've never really understood it though. It's not bad but it's not even close to being the best beer New Glarus puts out. Most Sconnies seem content with their crap like Miller Lite but go for Spotted Cow when they're feeling "classy".

Old
07-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
They sure do love their Spotted Cow in WI, I've never really understood it though. It's not bad but it's not even close to being the best beer New Glarus puts out. Most Sconnies seem content with their crap like Miller Lite but go for Spotted Cow when they're feeling "classy".

not to mention the ones who drink milwaukee's best... and switch to miller lite on special occasions...

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
not to mention the ones who drink milwaukee's best... and switch to miller lite on special occasions...
MMMMM The Beast

Old
07-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Piffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
It is normally Milwaukee's Best Ice. Get it right. Unless you're at a house party, then its always Keystone Light.

I wish that I'd had more experience in some different beers right now. As a poor college student, I've had my fair share of lower end macrobrews. Although this summer I've had quite a bit of Summer Shandy and Spotted Cow. Now that I'm 21 I should try and expand on that.

Anyways, onto the Spotted Cow discussion. It's a decent beer, but I am definitely burnt out on it. My roommate had that on tap in his kegerator for the last few weeks, and we just killed it on Wednesday.

Piffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffles View Post
It is normally Milwaukee's Best Ice. Get it right. Unless you're at a house party, then its always Keystone Light.

I wish that I'd had more experience in some different beers right now. As a poor college student, I've had my fair share of lower end macrobrews. Although this summer I've had quite a bit of Summer Shandy and Spotted Cow. Now that I'm 21 I should try and expand on that.

Anyways, onto the Spotted Cow discussion. It's a decent beer, but I am definitely burnt out on it. My roommate had that on tap in his kegerator for the last few weeks, and we just killed it on Wednesday.
We had a keg of it last year and it's definitely better than most kegs you'll have in college. As far as the lack of funds goes, the key is to ask for beer as a gift when you can't afford the good stuff. I got loaded up on craft beers sampler packs and "pick sixes" for my last couple birthdays and when I graduated from college.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Piffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
We had a keg of it last year and it's definitely better than most kegs you'll have in college. As far as the lack of funds goes, the key is to ask for beer as a gift when you can't afford the good stuff. I got loaded up on craft beers sampler packs and "pick sixes" for my last couple birthdays and when I graduated from college.
Oh I know it is above what will be on tap most of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if my roommates go with High Life or MGD for the next keg. The Spotted Cow was a special because we were having so many guests coming for the 4th of July and Summerfest.

I should do a few of those build-your-own six packs, just to try stuff out.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:21 AM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
I should do a few of those build-your-own six packs, just to try stuff out.
Just start homebrewing. You'll gain a much greater appreciation for micros and craft beers after. www.midwestsupplies.com has everything you need. $100 will buy a decent extract starter kit, provided you've got a gas stove (works the best for starting out, unless you buy a propane burner).

lostpuppysyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Piffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpuppysyndrome View Post
Just start homebrewing. You'll gain a much greater appreciation for micros and craft beers after. www.midwestsupplies.com has everything you need. $100 will buy a decent extract starter kit, provided you've got a gas stove (works the best for starting out, unless you buy a propane burner).
I've been considering that since my freshman year of college, but at my current apartment I do not have the space I'd like to store stuff, nor would I be able to maintain a stable/reasonable temperature (No AC). I think I might finally pull the trigger next time I see a homebrew kit deal on Groupon and start brewing this fall though.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:35 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
I've been considering that since my freshman year of college, but at my current apartment I do not have the space I'd like to store stuff, nor would I be able to maintain a stable/reasonable temperature (No AC). I think I might finally pull the trigger next time I see a homebrew kit deal on Groupon and start brewing this fall though.
Homebrewing is fun and interesting, but it is tedious and takes a few times to get it right. Though, if you get enough people involved, Vine Park is a lot of fun and you can make your own brew at their brewery.

Personally, I'd stick to buying 'pick sixes' and go from there. What I've done is find a particular type of beer you like. For me, it's unquestionably IPAs. So I like to try any IPA that I haven't had before and that turns me on to different breweries and their other beers.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 513
I always feel happy when I open up the fridge and see this staring back at me:

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:43 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Ohhhhh baby...

lostpuppysyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Ohhhhh baby...
That is one of the last beers i actually remember having at the dabbler ahaha. It was one big drunk fest. They give you a small taster cup just enough to sip on if you like a beer or chug if you hate it. It was pretty much 4 hours of power hour haha.

@JayKay, you should definitely go to the next one. There is one in the winter as well. I am going to go to every beer dabbler from now on. So many beers so little time. It is a great way to open yourself up to many different styles of beer and the local breweries that make them.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ohhhhh baby...
I need to get me a 6 pack of that for when I can finally drink again.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:36 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Drinking Mikkeller Simcoe Single Hop IPA... Wow. New favorite, I believe.