Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
My gateway beers were

Honey Weiss + Lemon
Blue Moon + Orange
Newcastle
Summit EPA

From there I just found lots of interesting beers.

The Winter Ale is a brown ale, a lot of chocolate and coffee notes to it. Good stuff. Much better on tap than cold out of the fridge in a bottle IMO.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:58 AM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Its almost that time of year again. Pliny the Younger (triple IPA) releases Feb. 3 this year for 2 weeks and it only happens once a year. If you guys can get a hold of Pliny the Younger this year, all the power to you. I know that some random pubs around the U.S. will get a few kegs of it, definitely in Philadelphia on the east coast. Not sure about anywhere else over that way though. One of the best beers in the world! The rest of the year I spend drinking Pliny the Elder (double IPA) which is year round and is also another really good beer by Russian River Brewery. If your a big IPA fan, you owe it to yourself to make a trip out to Philly or California and try these beers before you die. They are simply AMAZING! These two beers deserve my highest recommendation.

http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/

Old
01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I'll do some beer-curls tonight.

Thanks for the advice. I've been meaning to try Summit Celebration/Winter Ale because of the responses I've seen throughout this thread. I've been looking for it on tap at restaurants - just in case I don't like it.

Just picked up a six-pack of Leinenkugels Honey Weiss. I really like the citrus flavor it has - especially when I add lemon.
Celebration ale is dead

It was a one time only brew (for now). Hopefully it comes back as a seasonal. I can't imagine them shelving that beer for good since it was universally loved.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Bookman

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Its almost that time of year again. Pliny the Younger (triple IPA) releases Feb. 3 this year for 2 weeks and it only happens once a year. If you guys can get a hold of Pliny the Younger this year, all the power to you. I know that some random pubs around the U.S. will get a few kegs of it, definitely in Philadelphia on the east coast. Not sure about anywhere else over that way though. One of the best beers in the world! The rest of the year I spend drinking Pliny the Elder (double IPA) which is year round and is also another really good beer by Russian River Brewery. If your a big IPA fan, you owe it to yourself to make a trip out to Philly or California and try these beers before you die. They are simply AMAZING! These two beers deserve my highest recommendation.

http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/
I got to try Pliny the Elder when I was in California last year. It is quite good. I also like their Blind Pig IPA. A trip to Northern California and the Russian River Brewery would be high on my list of trips I'd like to taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Celebration ale is dead

It was a one time only brew (for now). Hopefully it comes back as a seasonal. I can't imagine them shelving that beer for good since it was universally loved.
Hear hear! That would immediately become my regular beer if it were available year round.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Celebration HAS to be a regular seasonal. Not only did I buy at least half a dozen cases but it got me into Sierra Nevada beers AND into hoppy beers as a whole.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Anyone had Bell's Hopslam on tap before? Yay or nay?

Burger Mo's has it so I think I'll give it a try when I go there later this week...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've only ever heard great things about it. Just make sure that burger has plenty of flavor to keep up. Maybe a jalapeno burger of some sort.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

Burger Mo's has it so I think I'll give it a try when I go there later this week...
Yes, and you will LOVE it. Probably my favorite imperial IPA, so citrussy, and the added honey gives it great balance. Bell's masterpiece.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Yay! It's ridiculously good.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
01-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Bell's Hopslam is probably the only IPA I'm crazy about.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

AWESOME avvy Generic.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1200
Tried some Bud Light Clamato/Chelada last night.

Terrible. Just... Yeah, terrible.

Old
01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Can anyone recommend a good liquor store to buy micro-brews at? I've been going to dinkytown wine and spirits mainly out of habit and I'm sick of their poor prices on good beer and lack of selection.

I live near the east-bank of the umn campus, but I'm willing to drive 10-15 miles if I have to. Maybe something in roseville?

Old
01-27-2012, 04:24 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ya, I don't get out that way too often so I'm no help. Though, if it were me I would just go stock up on growlers from Town Hall.

Speaking of growlers my parents were up in Duluth last weekend, went to Fitgers and picked me up one of each of their IPAs and then their winter Black Solstace which I've never tried before. Will have to crack those open this weekend. For sure the double IPA. Maybe more depending on how many friends come over...

Also, that Hopslam was very good the other night.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:36 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good liquor store to buy micro-brews at? I've been going to dinkytown wine and spirits mainly out of habit and I'm sick of their poor prices on good beer and lack of selection.

I live near the east-bank of the umn campus, but I'm willing to drive 10-15 miles if I have to. Maybe something in roseville?
it doesn't take 15 minutes to get to Thomas Liquors from the U...Go there. very friendly guys. Lots of single bottles everywhere...don't just look in the coolers. I live in Roseville and Thomas is a million times better than anything I've found there, so i still go. If you don't see something there just ask and they'll tell you when they're getting it in or if they can get it.
Beer Advocate Reviews

Ale Jail is nearby too...you can make both easily in the same trip.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not a beer but bought some Captain Morgan "Long Island" mix. Should be interesting.

Old
01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Ya, I don't get out that way too often so I'm no help. Though, if it were me I would just go stock up on growlers from Town Hall.

Speaking of growlers my parents were up in Duluth last weekend, went to Fitgers and picked me up one of each of their IPAs and then their winter Black Solstace which I've never tried before. Will have to crack those open this weekend. For sure the double IPA. Maybe more depending on how many friends come over...

Also, that Hopslam was very good the other night.
Next time you're in duluth, give the thirsty pagan across the border in Superior a shot. Their De-railed ale is a pretty solid beer they brew year-round, and have a strong seasonal collection usually 6-8 total beers.

Old
01-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Said this before but once again support Midway Liquor! they have a new location on Prior and University...great stuff.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Bookman

Quote:

Surdyks is just down at universty and hennepin. Great liquor store

Old
01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Surdyks is just down at universty and hennepin. Great liquor store
Really? I thought their beer selection was quite lacking.

Old
01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
tyratoku

I'm so confused here...I've tried beer multiple times and I just cannot like the taste.

Coors, Key Stone, Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Lite, and maybe one or two others but I did not like any of them at all.

I want to like beer simply because thats what is mostly had at parties and functions but jesus I can't drink it without feeling sick. Tips?

Old
01-28-2012, 05:29 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I'm so confused here...I've tried beer multiple times and I just cannot like the taste.

Coors, Key Stone, Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Lite, and maybe one or two others but I did not like any of them at all.

I want to like beer simply because thats what is mostly had at parties and functions but jesus I can't drink it without feeling sick. Tips?
DRINK GOOD BEER. that's the tip. avoid cheap beer in kegs, especially, if you're worried about taste. i get gutrot easily now from crap beer. (coors, keystone, bud, etc. )

Don't feel pressured into liking beer at all--I know plenty of people who either hate it or are best indifferent. Try a Witbier...I know a few people that don't like beer in general but will drink it.

Old
01-28-2012, 06:10 PM
CG5

Quote:
Celebration ale is dead

It's a seasonal. I've been drinking Celebration Ale for about 3 years now. Always comes out around November.

Old
01-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Bookman

Quote:
Really? I thought their beer selection was quite lacking.
They have a good selection, better than your average MGM style store.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:46 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Just go to Surdyk's down University between Central and Hennepin. Huge selection of microbrews as well as wine and hard liquor.

When I lived in Dinkytown my roommates and I would go Dinkytown Wine and Spirits for the cheap, convenient stuff and Surdyk's for the good stuff. Once timed it having one person go to each liquor store from our place and it took the same amount of time.

Closed Thread