HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2012 AHL "Steeltown Showdown" aka Outdoor Classic, GTA 1/21

Old
11-30-2011, 09:16 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
2012 AHL "Steeltown Showdown" aka Outdoor Classic, GTA 1/21

http://www.tsn.ca/ahl/story/?id=381644

"2012 Steeltown Showdown will take place Jan. 21 at Ivor Wynne Stadium."

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Interesting. From $30 - $90 you get basically 3 events; an Alumni Game, a game between the Marlies & Bulldogs; a Concert. Is it enough for sophisticated fans in Hamilton?. Will the novelty of an outdoor game pique' their interest absent the "best" players on the field?. Is there anything meaningful at all in watching the 'B' Teams from Montreal & Toronto play each other 80 yards from the glass while potentially freezing your ass off in a sleet storm?. Will people from Toronto buy tickets based on the "Outdoor Classic" hook in order to watch the prospects or will the promoters wind up having to giveaway 1000's upon 1000's of tickets?. Id call this Risky Business. Binghampton, Erie, any number of locations would be far more prudent & astute.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Yeah, I'm not sure about this either. Events like this really wear down the novelty of outdoor games.

It's pretty neat that the rink will be open to the public, though. The NHL should give that one some thought.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:47 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure about this either. Events like this really wear down the novelty of outdoor games.

It's pretty neat that the rink will be open to the public, though. The NHL should give that one some thought.
Thing is, the stadium in Hamilton virtually sits vacant from November through to April, so you can put a rink there all winter long if you want, it's not like the NFL in which the season goes till early February and game conflicts exists. The CFL is done in late November, so there is not a single football conflict present.

Nevertheless, we'll see how this goes. Tickets are overpriced if you ask me.

go_leafs_go02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Well tell ya what?. If I was still living back there I sure wouldnt bother with the Bulldogs let alone a novelty event like this one. Its got minor league written all over it in a major market. Both literally & figuratively. Stage it in Albany. Worcester. Anywhere that the fans genuinely care & love the AHL brand. Imagine the response & how appreciative theyd truly be?. But Hamilton?. Ya nutz?!. Practice for the Leafs 2017 Celebrations?. Bad move.

Old
12-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Hockey is continuing to ruin a good thing by overdoing it here. Things are 'special' such as outdoor games because they are rare. They are destroying the concept long term becasue of their short term greed.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:20 AM
dronald

I'm actually surprised by the responses. I plan on going, it should be a fun night out with friends to try something new. All I have to figure out now is who to cheer for...

Let's see... I love the Leafs, hate the Habs, Hamilton is my hometown and I couldn't give two craps about the Marlies.

dronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
I'm actually surprised by the responses. I plan on going, it should be a fun night out with friends to try something new. All I have to figure out now is who to cheer for...

Let's see... I love the Leafs, hate the Habs, Hamilton is my hometown and I couldn't give two craps about the Marlies.
i'm going aswell..heard TiCats STH get tickets or a discount..

i wonder if those crazy Montrealers will come on down to help sell the place out

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
i'm going aswell..heard TiCats STH get tickets or a discount..

i wonder if those crazy Montrealers will come on down to help sell the place out
You mean that great hockey town might not be able to sellout a once in a blue moon hockey event. Sheesh and they think they're a hockey town

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
You mean that great hockey town might not be able to sellout a once in a blue moon hockey event. Sheesh and they think they're a hockey town
lol.. let me know when you are coming in i"ll save you a seat..

Old
12-01-2011, 04:07 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Hockey is continuing to ruin a good thing by overdoing it here. Things are 'special' such as outdoor games because they are rare. They are destroying the concept long term becasue of their short term greed.
strike while the iron is hot. There are no guarantees this concept will survive long term anyway.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:17 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Interesting. From $30 - $90 you get basically 3 events; an Alumni Game, a game between the Marlies & Bulldogs; a Concert. Is it enough for sophisticated fans in Hamilton?. Will the novelty of an outdoor game pique' their interest absent the "best" players on the field?. Is there anything meaningful at all in watching the 'B' Teams from Montreal & Toronto play each other 80 yards from the glass while potentially freezing your ass off in a sleet storm?. Will people from Toronto buy tickets based on the "Outdoor Classic" hook in order to watch the prospects or will the promoters wind up having to giveaway 1000's upon 1000's of tickets?. Id call this Risky Business. Binghampton, Erie, any number of locations would be far more prudent & astute.
Why can't it just be a fun afternoon event that many people don't get to experience very often? Why does it have to be a serious game? The Bulldogs ****ing suck, so it probably won't even be close, but it will still be fun for Families I'm sure. Plus the novelty of watching the game outside.

Quote:
Well tell ya what?. If I was still living back there I sure wouldnt bother with the Bulldogs let alone a novelty event like this one. Its got minor league written all over it in a major market. Both literally & figuratively. Stage it in Albany. Worcester. Anywhere that the fans genuinely care & love the AHL brand. Imagine the response & how appreciative theyd truly be?. But Hamilton?. Ya nutz?!. Practice for the Leafs 2017 Celebrations?. Bad move.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:21 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

I forgot to add to my last post.. Hamilton is far from a major market.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Why can't it just be a fun afternoon event that many people don't get to experience very often? Why does it have to be a serious game? The Bulldogs ****ing suck, so it probably won't even be close, but it will still be fun for Families I'm sure. Plus the novelty of watching the game outside.
i am guilty of ignoring the AHL cuz its boring but i can agree with this post..

over/under 10000 people show up?

i"ll say 12,000

Old
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Mwd711

Quote:
Killion, the Lake Erie Monsters play in Cleveland, not in Erie. Erie is the home of the OHL Otters. The odds of an outdoor AHL game in Cleveland are pretty high. The Indians have built a rink to use as part of their 'Snow Days" which includes tubing, ice skating, tobogganing, etc on the field.

Of course, a college game featuring Ohio St. and Michigan will be played on that rink this year along with some high school and youth games. If it goes over well, I see no reason for the Lake Erie Monsters to not have a game there in the future. On weekends, its not that unusual to draw over 10,000 in The Q, especially once football season ends. I think they could have a good draw for a special event like an outdoor game.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:26 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
i am guilty of ignoring the AHL cuz its boring but i can agree with this post..

over/under 10000 people show up?

i"ll say 12,000
I would be shocked if there was 12,000 i think it will be a ok crowd my guess is around 8,000.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwd711 View Post
Killion, the Lake Erie Monsters play in Cleveland, not in Erie. Erie is the home of the OHL Otters. The odds of an outdoor AHL game in Cleveland are pretty high. The Indians have built a rink to use as part of their 'Snow Days" which includes tubing, ice skating, tobogganing, etc on the field.
Thanks for the clarification. I was aware of the difference however I wasnt specific enough in my post. As a kid the teams I played for out of Toronto competed in a couple of Tournaments held in Erie PA (great spot); and of course Cleveland has a rich & colorful history of hockey at the pro & minor league levels. I have no doubt the event in Hamilton at Ivor Wynne Stadium will appeal to families, youth teams etc & was perhaps a little too harsh in my condemnation of its selection as host site however, I still think other AHL locales' (like Cleveland) wouldve' been better choices... Subjectively, I also find the title "Classic" a misnomer, and would only attend myself if they removed the trapezoid from behind the net along with all advertising from the ice & boards, manadated that all players must use tube skates & wooden sticks, allowed the goalies to play the puck but penalized them for falling to their knees unnecessarily, removed the Instigator Rule.....

Old
12-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I would be shocked if there was 12,000 i think it will be a ok crowd my guess is around 8,000.
Cleveland is obviously better hockey town.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:57 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Cleveland is obviously better hockey town.
I am not saying that but Toront-Hamilton area i don't think is what you would call a great hockey market now with that said its a great nhl market i would even say the best in that area.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Confucius

Quote:
I am not saying that but Toront-Hamilton area i don't think is what you would call a great hockey market now with that said its a great nhl market i would even say the best in that area.
No we'll leave Toronto out of it. This is all Hamilton baby. You know the Hamilton that is not part of the GTA, the Hamilton that doesn't have to depend on Toronto.

I was serious, if Hamilton can't sellout this outdoor game, Cleveland is obviously the better hockey town.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
No we'll leave Toronto out of it. This is all Hamilton baby. You know the Hamilton that is not part of the GTA, the Hamilton that doesn't have to depend on Toronto.

I was serious, if Hamilton can't sellout this outdoor game, Cleveland is obviously the better hockey town.
let me know your seat # for the game we'll talk over a shot of Gibsons on why you maybe wrong

Old
12-02-2011, 04:17 PM
blueandgoldguy

Wonder what the breakeven point for this game will be??

10,000 people, 15,000 people.

I hear setting up these events is not cheap. Tickets seemed reasonably priced considering what you get. 3 events for $30.........can't beat that.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:20 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

Well just look at hamilton attendance this year and the past few years its nothing to great.

Old
12-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
there are 17,000 tickets left for general public.

17273 to be exact.. i dont know how many seats are available but we do know they are hoping to sell 22000 tickets.. so they've sold atleast 4727 tickets so far

i know for sure Ticats STHers have been givin first dibs at this i got 5 so far.. i'd imagine they did the same for Bulldog STHers aswell..
so well see what happens.

edit: TiCats Bulldogs and Marlies had first dibs and only 4727 sold.. eek! bet the organizers are sweatin bullets right now lol

Old
12-02-2011, 08:15 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Well just look at hamilton attendance this year and the past few years its nothing to great.
And how are the Marlies doing in TO? As for Cleveland, anyone remember the Cleveland Barons?

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote