HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2011, 03:49 PM
littletonhockeycoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Yep. I have no problem with moving some of the "core" players.

Roy, Stafford, Gaustad are my top 3.

Not as keen on moving Vanek or Poms.
Agreed. I was open to Poms until I saw the stat on him being 3rd in the league in assists.

I think Gaustad is the most expendable given his contract situation and the fact that there are plenty of solid 3rd line centers who could fill in. But I fear neither Roy or Stafford are headed anywhere before the trade deadline - if then.

It sure would send a strong message to the rest of the team if they moved one of the two.

Old
12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
MyersMagic57*

Hypothetically speaking, If Ruff were fired, what does everyone think of Jacques Martin as coach of the Sabres. He seemed like he did a pretty decent job with the Canadians, especially with that playoff run in 09-10

he has over 600 wins and over 1,000 games coach. Doesn't seem like a terrible option

Old
12-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Hypothetically speaking, If Ruff were fired, what does everyone think of Jacques Martin as coach of the Sabres. He seemed like he did a pretty decent job with the Canadians, especially with that playoff run in 09-10

he has over 600 wins and over 1,000 games coach. Doesn't seem like a terrible option
Not a terrible option, but he strikes me as more of the same to an extent

I'd like to see us bring someone in with a different voice somehow.

Old
12-29-2011, 01:57 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Is it to early to say we need a new headcoach/gm?

I thought it might be time to get this thread going again. What do you think? I say yes it was time in Nov. I know I don't post alot. I just want your opinion. Do you think it is time? i do

Old
12-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
I thought it might be time to get this thread going again. What do you think? I say yes it was time in Nov. I know I don't post alot. I just want your opinion. Do you think it is time? i do
Why not actually look for the thread that is on page 2 and simply go from there?

Merged.

12-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Come back in 2 more seasons to ask this when Ruff will have a couple more non playoff / 1st round losses under his belt and maybe Pegula and LQ Jr (Black) may actually consider it

I have NEVER heard of an owner/ president giving a 3 year grave period for results to a guy who's already had 10+ years.... I could understand if Ruff had a cup win or two but this is a guy with one cup appearance in 14 years and yet he is in no danger of losing his job.

Old
12-29-2011, 04:31 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

MacTavish? Anyone?

Old
12-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Come back in 2 more seasons to ask this when Ruff will have a couple more non playoff / 1st round losses under his belt and maybe Pegula and LQ Jr (Black) may actually consider it

I have NEVER heard of an owner/ president giving a 3 year grave period for results to a guy who's already had 10+ years.... I could understand if Ruff had a cup win or two but this is a guy with one cup appearance in 14 years and yet he is in no danger of losing his job.
Pegula's attitude about Ruff & Darcy wreaks of a small market mentality. You wanna be big time? Act it. Be agressive. Rock the friggin boat.

I cannot stand the pat answer you get now when you suggest replacing Lindy. The big comeback is "well, okay, then who do you get?"

Problem is, anyybody you mention that is available is easily shot down because they're not a hot coach at the moment---and all the hot coaches are currently with great teams who aren't letting them go.
This is a facile argument.

Those who travel in pro-hockey circles know about many more decent coaches than most on some messageboard. They could find some coach who may have the personality and background that may be just what the doctor ordered. Who knows. You TRY!. Regardless, you get a fresh voice who the team's vets aren't so comfy with.

Who knows, maybe that kind of shakeup will get things rolling in a different direction. maybe some other guy has an even BETTER system than Lindy's magic system.

We won't know until they try.

Or would you have us believe that all 29 other teams (who've ALL fired coaches since Lindy was hired)don't know something that the last two Sabre owners do know. Yeah, those other teams, including many Cup winners, are all so dumb and knee-jerk, while the Sabres are smooth and steady.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 12-30-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old
12-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Sabres have good scoring power. they need a Tortorella or a Bylsma

Old
12-30-2011, 01:01 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2011/12...-coached-teams

Pretty good write up^

Old
12-31-2011, 12:58 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Taken from si.com - 2012 Hockey Predictions (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nhl_t12_a1)

Quote:
7. Lindy Ruff or Darcy Regier, maybe both, will no longer be working in Buffalo by next season. The Sabres' new owner, Terry Pegula, is already showing signs of impatience at what many believe is a stale coach/GM regime.

Old
12-31-2011, 01:05 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
It's a start if true.

Old
12-31-2011, 01:30 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
It's a start if true.
The "sign of impatience" is almost certainly the postgame comment in Pittsburgh.

I wouldn't get too excited.

Old
12-31-2011, 01:42 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

His other predictions aren't that far out. Gives hope, if anything.

Old
12-31-2011, 02:29 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
The "sign of impatience" is almost certainly the postgame comment in Pittsburgh.

I wouldn't get too excited.
You are 100% correct.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:56 PM
sand1138man

Honestly, I hate when people try to defend him......my criticism of him is based on what he says after the games now-a-days, he seems to think that WINNING means nothing and that what he calls "effort" os everything, and he refuses to believe (even when we're outshot 2-1) that we played a bad game, and ALL HE DOES is compliment our effort, and I believe that a coach who doesn't care about winning, and only cares about trying should be gone. Even though according to Pegula "Lindy ain't goin nowhere" he at least needs to light a fire under Ruff. I mean when a coach gets a guarentee that he wont get fired, then he's not going to put his all into the job. I think he is past his coaching prime, and his unflinching undying confidence in miller, roy, stafford is becoming his and the sabres undoing. For as goos as miller WAS, even at his best with a very good team in front of him he will not ever be good enough to win us a cup, so no matter what he's eventually gonna have to go

Old
01-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
The team is just very passive and I think that's at least partly a product of a passive, excuse-making head coach. Lindy seemed to lose his passion years ago and I think players pick that up after being around him for a period of time. Things are stale and it's time for a change.

And if he goes on to win a lot of games in Washington or Colorado or Edmonton, good for him. But that doesn't change the fact that things aren't working here anymore.

Old
01-01-2012, 03:12 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The team is just very passive and I think that's at least partly a product of a passive, excuse-making head coach. Lindy seemed to lose his passion years ago and I think players pick that up after being around him for a period of time. Things are stale and it's time for a change.

And if he goes on to win a lot of games in Washington or Colorado or Edmonton, good for him. But that doesn't change the fact that things aren't working here anymore.
For some reason I always got the impression that Ruff's attitude changed the year his daughter got sick with a brain tumor/mass. He seemed to tone it down after that. Nothing wrong with adopting a more zen or stoic-like approach to life. Nothing wrong with that, unless you're an NHL coach who needs to utilize every trick in the book to motivate a bunch of twenty-somethings to bust their ass shift after shift.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Kyndig86

I reached my limit when Lindy started Miller, pulled him and then put him back in.

Lindy pretty much did the same thing a few games ago with Boyes. He put in Kaleta over Boyes instead of someone more deserving like Kassian on the 2nd line, then he benched Roy and moved Boyes back up to the 2nd line to center.

Then you have our last game where he scratched Kassian... I guess his good puck possession on the boards doesn't fit Lindy's dump in and no forecheck hockey.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
puckish66

Lindy Ruff on Roy today, to the Buffalo News:

Quote:
"I look at how many inside opportunities a player gets and it's not whether somebody else can get him going. You've got to get yourself going," Ruff said. "And that's by getting to the inside. That's when you've got to get down on your knees and stick the puck in your teeth and crawl into the net. that's how dirty you've got to get when it isn't going as good as you want it to go."
Does this message work for offensively talented players? You've got to admire Lindy for finding so many different ways over the years to describe the need to score ugly goals.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:59 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Lindy Ruff on Roy today, to the Buffalo News:

Does this message work for offensively talented players? You've got to admire Lindy for finding so many different ways over the years to describe the need to score ugly goals.
In other words, Roy is a rich, fat cat, pretty boy perimeter player that would rather be shirtless tending bar than scoring goals from around the crease in the NHL.

But let's stitch an 'A' to his sweater and play him in the top 6, regardless.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post
In other words, Roy is a rich, fat cat, pretty boy perimeter player that would rather be shirtless tending bar than scoring goals from around the crease in the NHL.

But let's stitch an 'A' to his sweater and play him in the top 6, regardless.
At the beginning of last year Roy was our best player and seemed like the only one who seemed to care (smashing his stick after losses) and people wanted him or Vanek to be captain...This year hes struggling which could be in part due to his serious injury last year, Stafford being completely worthless or his third linemate being someone different each game almost. All that being said I really wish he and many others would play a more physical game.

Lindy says you have to get yourself going but juggles the lines like a moron to try to spark something. Remove Stafford from the 2nd line and put Kassian on there with Gerbe or Boyes and I bet that line gets going.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
At the beginning of last year Roy was our best player and seemed like the only one who seemed to care (smashing his stick after losses) and people wanted him or Vanek to be captain...This year hes struggling which could be in part due to his serious injury last year, Stafford being completely worthless or his third linemate being someone different each game almost.
Who wanted Roy to be captain? The consensus was one of Vanek, Pominville or Myers.

As for why he's struggling, it's not his linemates. He's been with Vanek and Pominville and has been equally terrible.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:21 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Who wanted Roy to be captain? The consensus was one of Vanek, Pominville or Myers.

As for why he's struggling, it's not his linemates. He's been with Vanek and Pominville and has been equally terrible.
His noticeable loss of speed tells me it must be the injury.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
His noticeable loss of speed tells me it must be the injury.
I definitely think that's part of it. He doesn't have the same acceleration as he used to. That said, he needs to change his game a little to adapt to his lack of burst. i.e., he needs to get dirtier and make fewer fancy plays. He's got a great shot - he just needs to get himself in position to use it. I agree with trying Kassian on his wing.

Closed Thread