HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Kyndig86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Who wanted Roy to be captain? The consensus was one of Vanek, Pominville or Myers.

As for why he's struggling, it's not his linemates. He's been with Vanek and Pominville and has been equally terrible.
Digging up an old post. Keep in mind he was injured the entire season pretty much, which is why he less talked about him being captain and why Jame left him out of the poll...yet still quite a few wanted Roy to least have an A

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=881897&page=4

He only played with Vanek and Poms one game this year..as far as I can remember.

Stafford shooting % is really bad 6.3% and Staff is possibly the worst passer on the team and hes always on the first PP unit with Pom and Vanek...for whatever reason.

Boyes isn't much better at 6.8%. Both which are well known inconsistent players.

Roy isn't exactly lighting it up either at 9.1
So I'd have to say Roys lack of production has a lot to do with his line mates but hes still outperforming them both and Roy is known more for his passing not goal scoring.

Anyways my whole point is that this years slump and fans calling for him to be traded seems more like a knee-jerk reaction.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Daz28

My limit with Lindy is going to be 1:30 into the first period tonight when the Oil gets their first clean-cut 2 on 1.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
COACHING:
Lindy Ruff, the longest tenured coach in the NHL, has had some issues to deal with. His team hasn’t had the same lineup intact for virtually most of the season. He loves to juggle lines more than I would like, but the injuries may have forced his hand more than needed. His “battle” with Leino playing center then wing is a bad mark that he couldn’t make it work, especially bad since they have Leino signed for six years. His team seems to be in the right spot to score goals, but they can’t finish.

I won’t blame him for his players missing the open net or his goalies letting in a soft goal, but I will put him on the hook for poor decisions being made by his players, which made the difference in games. Lindy still has not handled the goalies well, he says he has a schedule, then changes it, then says he’s “going to ride Miller for a while” followed by Enroth playing two days later. I’m confused. I will say that if the playoffs are missed, I think he should be gone.

GRADE: C-
Quote:
FRONT OFFICE:
Darcy Regier finally has his chance to go out and make moves this offseason with Terry Pegula opening his wallet. The Regehr trade sending Chris Butler to the Flames has worked well. I’d still like a bit more scoring from Ehrhoff, but he seems to thrive on more ice time when he was healthy and playing. The Leino signing has been a disaster from the start. To sell that he would be the top line center was too good to be true. Leino struggled and bailed from that responsibility and to have not done your homework on him and to leave such a void at an extremely important spot in the lineup looks bad. The resigning of Stafford to the 4-year deal looks rough at the moment, but after scoring 31 goals last year, it’s tough to be too critical here. The big part that fans hate, is the appearance, as noted by leafs GM Brian Burke, that Darcy is tough to make deals with, leaving impatient fans with much to criticize. I wonder when how long is long enough to watch the product on the ice before Pegula, who’s been supportive of Regier, speaks up and tells the GM to act before it’s too late. Some would argue it already is too late.

GRADE: C-
http://wgr550.com/KOZIOL--Sabres-Mid...-Card/11939086

Old
01-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Wisent42

I don't know my limit with Lindy. The guy is a mystery and I can't figure out how he's thinking. When the season started there was a lot of speculation about who would center Vanek and Pominville. Would it be Roy, or maybe Leino? Lindy pulled a rabbit out of his hat and presented Adam. Great move! But then he moved Adam and ever since he's refused to put him back in there, and I don't understand why. The line was working great, so why not put it back together and let Hecht deal with youngsters who needs his experience? I guess Lindy has his reasons, I just don't see them.

Another strange move was saying he'd ride Miller, but still playing Enroth and the second of back-to-back games. Nothing wrong with splitting the work load, but he played Miller in Carolina, where Enroth has had two shutouts.

He seems almost manically inconsistent with his lines and sometimes I wonder if he doesn't do TOO much. That said, there is also reasons that he's still here, and I still believe there's some aces left up his sleeve.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:34 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Never too early to bump this thread....

More of the same. I know what he is going to do and say before he even does.

Knew it wouldn't be long before Grigs got the shaft in favor of his BFF Jochen. His use of Grigs last night was so incredibly stupid. Why didn't he sit Scott and bring in Ellis? Play Jochen with Ellis and Kaleta?

Leave Grigs with Gerbe and Ott.

Or take Scott out, throw in Brennan so he can try and help the PP, and double shift some wingers here and there so grigs isnt on a completely worthless line. Thursdays game wasnt physical at all. No need for Scott to be in there.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:41 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I think mine was a couple years ago.

Lindy needs to give half of his paychecks to Ryan Miller. He's the only reason why this team is even remotely competitive under Ruff.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:50 AM
kirby11

Hit my limit when he pulled matt ellis out of the lineup
But really, why didn't he play grigs more in the 3rd with decent offensive talent to try to, i don't know, tie the game up? Considering only one line has been playing well consistently so far (although I thought FES looked pretty good yesterday and ellis stood on his head), what would it hurt to give grigs more ice time? And how the **** can you justify playing the kid on a line with john scott? What's he supposed to do with that ice time?

Old
01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I think mine was a couple years ago.

Lindy needs to give half of his paychecks to Ryan Miller. He's the only reason why this team is even remotely competitive under Ruff.
Miller is a phenomenal goalie and you're right. Ruff is not a coach that develops offense. Someone said it in the GBU. He runs offensive talent into the ditches.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:57 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
But really, why didn't he play grigs more in the 3rd with decent offensive talent to try to, i don't know, tie the game up? Considering only one line has been playing well consistently so far (although I thought FES looked pretty good yesterday and ellis stood on his head), what would it hurt to give grigs more ice time? And how the **** can you justify playing the kid on a line with john scott? What's he supposed to do with that ice time?

Exactly

Old
01-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Royisgone

It is interesting to go back and look at some of the very early posts from this thread.

By the standards of a lot of posters back then, Ruff should be gone now or on his way to going at season's end.

And that includes some "stay the course" types.

This team remains soft, and there is a negative culture floating through the team. It is stale. It completely lacks spark and freshness.

The way you fix this is to remove the coach.

We'll still be having this conversation at the end of the year, when we fail to make the playoffs...again.

And Ruff will likely find a way to keep his job...again.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Ace1963

So far, the Sabres have gone backwards under Terry Pegula.
The finger is pointed directly at him, beginning with the bizarre contract extension he gave to Regier. If he can't see that the situation screams for a new coach, he should go back to drilling.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
The finger is pointed directly at him, beginning with the bizarre contract extension he gave to Regier. If he can't see that the situation screams for a new coach, he should go back to drilling.
Yes because so many other people are clamoring to own the Sabres. I can't believe you would complain about someone who is obviously passionate about the team and wants to spend money.

Most teams would kill for a Pegula. We could have a Charles Wang-esque owner.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Probably was back in 1987.

So here we are, 25+ years later.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:43 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
But really, why didn't he play grigs more in the 3rd with decent offensive talent to try to, i don't know, tie the game up?
Because he coaches to not lose, he doesn't coach to win.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:45 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Because he coaches to not lose, he doesn't coach to win.
There are lots of legitimate criticisms of Lindy Ruff.

This is not one of those.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
sba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
There are lots of legitimate criticisms of Lindy Ruff.

This is not one of those.
There's no aggression at all with him. The players don't hit, they sit on leads all the time. He let Carolina dictate his entire game plan last night and admitted as much in the postgame.

Those aren't the actions of a coach who "wants to win" it's scared coaching.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

It's time for change.
I don't know what I posted here, but he needs to go. Get some fresh new coaches and see if they can get more out of our guys. If not get rid of them.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:20 PM
skibum

Lindy should have been summarily fired at the end of last season. He had a decent team to start with, his owner bought him a bunch of new assets, and the result was even worse than previous years. Also, a great many players have plateaued or regressed under his watch in recent years. His overall record in Buffalo is certainly not worthy of a free pass after multiple seasons of disappointment. So many players have changed, but the coach, and ultimately the results, remain the same.

I think this year's incarnation of the Sabres is not as good as what we started with last year. Even so, there are a lot of formerly excellent players looking terrible out there and eventually you have look at the coach. It's the one thing they haven't tried yet, and I think it's long overdue.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
Just go. Anywhere else. Please.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:25 PM
sba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Just go. Anywhere else. Please.
He's not 100% wrong.

The off ice stuff is 100% improved and incredible.

The on-ice product is exactly the same.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
He's not 100% wrong.

The off ice stuff is 100% improved and incredible.

The on-ice product is exactly the same.

But staying the same in one area and improving in others certainly isn't "going backwards".

Old
01-26-2013, 01:26 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadthestampede View Post
Yes because so many other people are clamoring to own the Sabres. I can't believe you would complain about someone who is obviously passionate about the team and wants to spend money.

Most teams would kill for a Pegula. We could have a Charles Wang-esque owner.
Pegs has prettied up the arena and gave Darcy more or less a license to spend. Nothing more, nothing less.

He HAS to, sooner or later, take the fan glasses off and start thinking long term on how to best improve the team.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:27 PM
sba

I'm assuming he meant the on-ice aspect of it.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:31 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
It's time for change.
I don't know what I posted here, but he needs to go. Get some fresh new coaches and see if they can get more out of our guys. If not get rid of them.
Jeez, I'd KILL to get John Tortorella in Buffalo.(And he used to COACH in the Sabre organization!)

He's the exact type of coach the Sabres need. John would light a fire under the team's ass night after night and get the most out of them, win or lose. He has no fear of calling out his own players, either.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
Jeez, I'd KILL to get John Tortorella in Buffalo.(And he used to COACH in the Sabre organization!)

He's the exact type of coach the Sabres need. John would light a fire under the team's ass night after night and get the most out of them, win or lose. He has no fear of calling out his own players, either.
Torts is a scary man. Effective though. He rewards trying hard with ice time, and he will tell you if you aren't doing what you are there to do. The only problem is Torts juggles lines, A LOT... Which, at this point, may not be the worst thing for the Sabres. Just usually these coaches are..scary.

Closed Thread