HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Clock

vCash: 500
At the very least, I'm hoping that Pegula and Black are toward the end of their "wait and see" period with Ruff. If he was untouchable previously on the basis that they wanted to see what he could do under them, you've gotta think that by the end of the season (if not now) there's been enough time to see what's what.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:20 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
At the very least, I'm hoping that Pegula and Black are toward the end of their "wait and see" period with Ruff. If he was untouchable previously on the basis that they wanted to see what he could do under them, you've gotta think that by the end of the season (if not now) there's been enough time to see what's what.
You'd hope so.

My bet? Leino injury, average team age, and lockout shortnened season will all be excuses.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Remember the old Lindy that nearly went into the Philly Crowd with a stick to bash some Philly ******** head in after we got eliminated from the 00 playoffs after he got hit with a beer cup? I don't remember that Lindy either. He needs to go, he never shows any emotion and is it a surprise? I mean the guys been here since 1997, provided average results and his job security is the strongest in the league, even more secure then Cup winning coaches. It's a joke and he just needs to go.
There you go with your absolutes again

Your posts are getting easier and easier to debunk ... Try harder

Old
01-30-2013, 12:24 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I'm in the same mindset. Pegula wanted to see what the results are with HIM as the owner. AFTER this season, if things don't go well, I would think that's enough evidence for Pegula. Time will tell.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
There you go with your absolutes again

Your posts are getting easier and easier to debunk ... Try harder
This is incredibly obnoxious and doesn't further the discussion at all. You know exactly what he meant. Lindy doesn't have the same fire or passion that he had when he started, no amount of pictures from the past will change that.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
This is incredibly obnoxious and doesn't further the discussion at all. You know exactly what he meant. Lindy doesn't have the same fire or passion that he had when he started, no amount of pictures from the past will change that.
Saying absolute all encompassing statements is extremely obnoxious. Type what you mean, mean what you type.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Royisgone

Some have brought Regier into the discussion of Ruff's future, which I think is off the mark.

If Pegula decides it's time to get rid of Ruff while wanting to retain Regier, Regier will most certainly fire Ruff if he wants to keep his job. I don't see him nobly falling on his sword and resigning commensurately with Ruff's firing.

As some have pointed out, this all hinges on Pegula, and if his personal opinion of Ruff as "his man" has changed.

I would not rule out the role Pegula's daughters could play in this process. I assume they are actually more tuned in to things than Pegula in terms of picking up the vibe on the street, and they could easily start to convince him that Ruff is not what he's cracked up to be. Or at least plant the seed of that idea in his head.

Regardless of how Pegula's opinion of Ruff changes, it must change if we are ever going to get rid of Lindy.

If this season goes up in smoke, perhaps Pegula would be prepared to re-address his conventional thinking on Ruff.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:56 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Saying absolute all encompassing statements is extremely obnoxious. Type what you mean, mean what you type.
that was probably the lamest rebuttal I have seen. You cherry pick pictures to show him "mad". I can find pictures too that show him arms crossed with a blank expression. Ruff was surely fired up last night when Kaleta got boarded, or when Foligno got high sticked or at the press conference after the game... Not. Ruff is emotionless out there. Your the biggest Ruff fan on the board and are extremely biased.

Btw 2 of those pics are 3+ years old ( we don't wear slugs anymore) and how is showing him smiling proof that he shows emotion and fire on the bench

Old
01-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I'm in the same mindset. Pegula wanted to see what the results are with HIM as the owner. AFTER this season, if things don't go well, I would think that's enough evidence for Pegula. Time will tell.
1st season - Injuries
2nd season - short year and young team
3rd season - more excuses expected in 2013-2014

Old
01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
that was probably the lamest rebuttal I have seen. You cherry pick pictures to show him "mad". I can find pictures too that show him arms crossed with a blank expression. Ruff was surely fired up last night when Kaleta got boarded, or when Foligno got high sticked or at the press conference after the game... Not. Ruff is emotionless out there. Your the biggest Ruff fan on the board and are extremely biased.

Btw 2 of those pics are 3+ years old ( we don't wear slugs anymore) and how is showing him smiling proof that he shows emotion and fire on the bench
Last time I checked ... Happy (smiling) is an emotion. Maybe it's been awhile since you experienced that emotion, but it still exists.

He has, and does show emotion. Think it thru.

Yes, last night during the post game he was a dead fish of emotion.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:09 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:

I think all of them are 2+. Connolly and Niedermeyer in the others...

Old
01-30-2013, 01:10 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
1st season - Injuries
Jame, I hope not.... And I hope Pegula forces Regiers hand. If this season the Sabres make the playoffs ... Well, we know what will happen then

Old
01-30-2013, 01:10 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
1st season - Injuries
Exactly.

This is the way it will be until they give us reason to believe that this isn't acceptable.

We've heard nothing but excuses from Pegula, Black, Regier and Ruff for the last 2 seasons. Until they make it seem like there is a sense of urgency, I'll continue to expect that this is business as usual at FNC.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Since Pegula took over, it does seem like these guys have an excuse for everything. It's become very tiresome.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Since Pegula took over, it does seem like these guys have an excuse for everything. It's become very tiresome.
Yep.

Thats what happens when absolutely no pressure is put on the decision makers of this team. Something goes wrong? No big deal, just spout off an excuse.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:05 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Lindy Ruff is the Joe Paterno of the NHL... overstayed his welcome by several years.
Without, of course, the unsavoriness of JoePa's final act....

Old
01-30-2013, 07:08 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Yep.

Thats what happens when absolutely no pressure is put on the decision makers of this team. Something goes wrong? No big deal, just spout off an excuse.
Methinks it's time to APPLY the pressure. Yes, this is Hockey Heaven. But the natives are restless and rightly so.

If I were in Pegs' place, the press release announcing the firing of Ruff(and Regier, were I in a nasty enough mood)would have gone out right after that game.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

They've been making excuses for far longer than that. They cried "small market" because they couldn't actually explain how deeply Golisano and Quinn had meddled with the co-captains. They did that again when we traded Campbell and never signed anybody for running off-seasons. Then Miller's injury, predicated by two ****ing weeks of him getting run and no response.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I like to think of Lindy Ruff as Tampa Bay era Tony Dungy.

Good coach who will likely be successful for another club, but he's taken this team as far as it will go under him. We need someone else to take the next step.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:54 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

Good coach who will likely be successful for another club, but he's taken this team as far as it will go under him. We need someone else to take the next step.
Even though I know we'll NEVER be lucky enough to get him, John Tortorella would be a perfect fit for this team. (And yes, he used to coach in the Sabre organization way back in the day...) Yes, he's very salty with his words at times(so much so that only HBO or Showtime could air his press conferences(oh, wait, wasn't he featured on HBO for their 24/7 series? )...and he has a hair-trigger temper...but he holds players accountable. If you F up, your ice time drops. He gets the most out of his players. And you can never call him a dead fish.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

But John Tortorella hasn't won anything significant since 2004

9 long years....

2002/3 ... 2nd round
2003/4 ... Stanley cup winner
2004/5 ... Lockout
2005/6 ... 1st round
2006/7 ... 1st round
2007/8 ... Missed playoffs
2008/9 ... 1st round
2009/10 ... Missed playoffs
2010/11 ... 1st round
2011/12 ... 3rd round

Better than Ruff? Yes.

Haven't won anything significant in a long time? Yes.

Tortarella has coached more talented teams than Ruff? Yes.

I don't want Tortorella either

I wouldn't mind trying an assistant NHL coach or someone from another league who has a couple years (minimum) of doing great.

Last edited by ZZamboni: 01-30-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Would love Eakins. I get the sense, though, that everyone knows he's the coach in waiting for the Laffs, and they won't let him get away, especially to a rival like Buffalo. Even if that means firing Carlyle at season's end to pave the way for Eakins. (I think that writing was on the wall, anyways, when Burke got his walking papers.)
I get that sense too, especially with some reports out of Toronto that Nonis pushed for Eakins but Burke got his way and the talk of Eakins possibly taking over after Burke was ousted.
Eakins seems like a better coach for what they look to be doing in the future, rather than an old school task master Carlyle.

If they lost Eakins, it'd probably end up similar to us losing Dineen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
After dealing with Mr. Ho-Hum for 15 years it might be nice to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
You probably just made every Sabres fan who already wanted or was intrigued by Roy, want him even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Where's the problem?
I just don't like the idea of having a coach that ends up becoming a distraction.
It may be fun at first, but long term, probably not.

Some also made a point during the Burke firing that I agree with: if team management is the face of your team rather than a player or players, you're probably in trouble.
Roy is a larger than life persona, so that could end up happening.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:07 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
But John Tortorella hasn't won anything significant since 2004

9 long years....

2002/3 ... 2nd round
2003/4 ... Stanley cup winner
2004/5 ... Lockout
2005/6 ... 1st round
2006/7 ... 1st round
2007/8 ... Missed playoffs
2008/9 ... 1st round
2009/10 ... Missed playoffs
2010/11 ... 1st round
2011/12 ... 3rd round

Compared to Ruff?

02-03 No Playoffs
03-04 No Playoffs
04-05 Lockout
05-06 3rd round
06-07 3rd round
07-08 No Playoffs
08-09 No Playoffs
09-10 1st round
10-11 1st round
11-12 No Playoffs

I'll take 7 playoff appearances (and a cup) over the past 9 years compared to 4 playoff appearances. More often then not the last 9 years Ruff missed the playoffs. That is terrible.

Ruff has won 4 playoff rounds since the 2001-2002 season. Tortorella won that many series in 03-04.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:08 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

This is where I stand with Ruff also, I would hate to see him go but his time has come....

Old
01-30-2013, 09:20 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Compared to Ruff?

02-03 No Playoffs
03-04 No Playoffs
04-05 Lockout
05-06 3rd round
06-07 3rd round
07-08 No Playoffs
08-09 No Playoffs
09-10 1st round
10-11 1st round
11-12 No Playoffs

I'll take 7 playoff appearances (and a cup) over the past 9 years compared to 4 playoff appearances. More often then not the last 9 years Ruff missed the playoffs. That is terrible.

Ruff has won 4 playoff rounds since the 2001-2002 season. Tortorella won that many series in 03-04.
You forgot the rest of my post. Here, I'll help you ...

Quote:

Better than Ruff? Yes.

Haven't won anything significant in a long time? Yes.

Tortarella has coached more talented teams than Ruff? Yes.

I don't want Tortorella either

I wouldn't mind trying an assistant NHL coach or someone from another league who has a couple years (minimum) of doing great.

Closed Thread