HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
...has been reached. I think he's not getting through and I don't like what they're doing amid all the injuries. It's time.
I was always ambivalent about Ruff; I wouldn't have been upset if they made a change, but I didn't mind him, either. But tonight was the breaking point for me. I hate using the word clueless, but this team is borderline clueless when it comes to protecting leads. They don't trust The System. They don't trust each other. They have no self-belief. And they shrink in the face of adversity. Some of that is the players. A good portion of it is the coach, too. And you can't fire or trade all of the players.

I made the comment to Bucky in the chat regarding coaches having a shelf life and that Lindy's is up. Good coaches get fired all the time. I've always made the intersport comparison between Ruff and Jeff Fisher: well-respected around their league, have had some success, both made it to the final of their respective league but didn't win it, won't be unemployed long, etc. But his time is definitely up in Buffalo. It's stale, and when it gets stale, the coach has to go.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
In the realm of how things come back to bite this team in the backside, watch Ruff go to Toronto and succeed.

12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
sabrefan27

For me it has nothing to do with disliking Ruff. The man is a good NHL coach. But it's just time for a change. It's stale.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:39 PM
jamers

Not quite ready to blow up the coaching staff or Regier. First year our GM has had a chance to play with the big boys so to speak, and that needs time to see how what he has done shakes out.

While it's a cliché, it is true -- we have a ton of injures right now. Personally, I'd give it until the new year, see how we fare when some of our injured players heal themselves back into the lineup.

If you spin this game another way, with all of our injuries and such an inexperienced defense squad on the ice, we managed to take the high soaring Flyers to OT. Granted, it was ugly how we got there, but I didn't see too many fans predict a win tonight with what we had available to put on the ice.

Just saying.

Quote:
In the realm of how things come back to bite this team in the backside, watch Ruff go to Toronto and succeed.
TC would love that, heh.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
For me it has nothing to do with disliking Ruff. The man is a good NHL coach. But it's just time for a change. It's stale.
That's precisely right. He's the Jeff Fisher of the NHL. Just like Fisher will be coaching the San Diego Chargers in a few months, Ruff will land on his feet with a good organization.

It's too bad Pegula loves him and will be waiting for the second-half turnaround.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:54 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
I could see him coaching the Rangers. And you know, they do have a merry go round at the coaching position like the Flyers had at goalie last year

Old
12-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it. Ruff will more than likely find success if he goes to another team, so it would be poetic if it happened with a team like the Leafs.

Quote:
Yes indeed.

Although, I do hate his lack of anything close to resembling emotion nowadays. It's indicative of how the team looks and plays. Lindy just has this "meh, whatever" look at all times now, and that's how the team usually functions.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:57 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
If it were to happen soon, he won't end up there with the Leafs playing well.

I want to see him end up in CBus.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:53 AM
beachcomber89
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Give into your hate...SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS...Join usssssssss
I joined this board for this exact reason, Ruff is pushing up the daisies while we have a star line up just waiting to blow up! Kassian, Adam, and McNabb CAN play a physical game. I understand that the tenor of the argument is that the team is plagued with injuries and we have to protect our star players from getting gang banged by a pack of reckless hockey pirates...
But I think lately we have been scrapping with confidence and are anemic with our defense.
I swear Ruff doesn't trust in our players back/forechecking abilities!
With Ruffs leadership we have a pack of scrappy elfs right now who have no speed, horrible passing, some posess physical prowess but can't put it to good use because of Ruffs terrible coaching!
Let them get a little more physical on the ice the endorphins can carry their energy for the rest of the game!!!!!!

Old
12-13-2011, 10:29 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Can I change my vote to today?

Old
12-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
I could see him coaching the Rangers. And you know, they do have a merry go round at the coaching position like the Flyers had at goalie last year
I wouldn't mind a swap of Ruff for Tortorella.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Agreed - and it's compounded by the fact that about a good chunk of the current roster has remained unchanged since the lockout. Take the same coaching staff with the same core of players and you get a textbook example of what stale really is. Maybe Ruff would have had better and more meaningful success if the Sabres had mixed up their roster more regularly at the impact level.......or maybe the core group would have had better results to date with a new voice behind the bench.

I read in the local LA coverage of how Murray was fired because the team's offensive players were underachieving, the team was losing constantly on home ice and how mental lapses led to them often folding in defeat......and I asked myself: am I reading about the Kings or the Sabres? What happened here is exactly the dilemma in Buffalo - yet a coaching change isn't going to happen anytime in Sabreland.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Luceni

The NHL has changed in the past few years. Ruff hasn't.

It's time for change behind the bench but that's just what I think.

Old
12-14-2011, 06:55 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

For the sake of not bumping another thread I'll just throw some of my posts that I stumbled across from previous years in here...

These are from the beginning of last year... I think we all saw #1 oh probably about 13 games ago.

Quote:
People love him because he's been here forever.

People love him around the league because they know they can run his goalie and nothing will happen. He next to never speaks up publicly about anything. That makes a lot of us fans believe that he really doesn't give a crap. Which is probably inaccurate, he probably does care, but at some point you have to say enough is enough. If you're in a place long enough you have to grow a pair and show your fan base that you really do care.
Quote:
At some point, something has to give. I threw up a stat last year in a thread very similar to this one showing how 3 of the final 4 teams from 2008-2009 had new coaches at some point in the season. Personally, I wanted them to dump Ruff for Laviolette when he was available. You might not like how he coaches, but he gets results and he's won more cups than Lindy has. I wan't a coach that sticks up for his players. I want a coach who can bring guys in to help him coach the Power Play. I'm sick of these same idiots who don't know jack crap about how to play with a man advantage.

Lindy speaks and nobody responds. Its been that way for a number of years now and I blame him for letting things slide in 06-07 when the guys showed up to play for a whopping 10-15 minutes a game. His coaching tactics are old, stale, and they simply don't work with these players.

It's time for a change. It was time for a change before the lockout, we had a couple of good runs, and then we vanished again. Its time for both Lindy and Darcy to go. It isn't going to happen though. The guy in charge is recovering from heart problems. You think he's in any shape to fire a guy whose been here about 6 years too long?
Quote:
Like struggling for a better part of the last 3+ years shouldn't be enough of a reason? Lindy Ruffs teams are never consistent and a lot of that has to lay square on his shoulders. Last year they were a decent team who rode a hot goaltender for the entire season and got lucky to win the division. If Miller isn't Vezina-like last year we might not even make the playoffs. Now they are back to sucking all while having the same core of players and a few added journeymen.

Whats that tell you? Yea the Briere's, Drury's and Campbell's of 05-06, 06-07 are gone, but those excuses should be far over with. There is absolutely no reason why this team isn't more competitive. There is no reason why they should blow out a team like NJ and then lay a complete egg 2 nights later.

The problem with this organization is that they should have let his ass go midway through 2007-2008 season. Most would argue that they were a far different team without Briere and Drury, which is true, but the habits the team learned during 06-07 stuck with them. Lindy LET them skate half assed, he LET them coast through 2 periods and show up for the 3rd. He LET them throw 1-2 shots on goal in a given period and then pepper the goalie in the final period. People complain that the players don't give a crap. Some definitely do, and others might not who knows. But the actions of Lindy Ruff for the last 3 years have showed me that he isn't the guy we need for these players. He works closely with Darcy, he knows who is coming and going and he has some say in the roster. This mess is just as much his fault as it is Darcy's.

He gives free passes to certain players, refuses to stick up for his guys when they get cheap shotted, doesn't know how to manage his goaltenders, and has an atrocious power play. He is 0-5 at home this season and quite honestly a good portion of those 5 losses are because the team looked more interested in early Christmas shopping as opposed to playing hockey.

A good coach will get the most out of a terrible hockey team. A good coach will have his guys playing hard night in and night out. If you've watched the Sabres at all for the last number of years you'd know that more often than not, they look uninterested in playing. That lies solely on the shoulders of the coach.

The Sabres used to have the reputation of being "The Hardest Working Team in Hockey" where the hell did those days go?

Thinking a few things over... besides riding Hasek and his Vezina's and Hart's in the 90s, having the perfect players for the "New NHL" in 05-06 and 06-07, and riding Miller and his Vezina last season... what has Lindy done to prove he is that great of a coach?
Quote:
Ruff: I can only start with the fact that his teams don't compete on a regular basis. There are far too many nights where his team takes a period or two off. This has been an issue since the 2006-2007 Presidents Trophy winning team. Far too many times the team has been out shot 16-1, 14-2, 15-3 in periods. At this level, that is completely unacceptable. fr some reason Ruff not only accepts it, but he doesn't even look frustrated while its happening. Every time you look at him on the bench he has the same look and expression on his face. It looks like his passion is gone... he doesn't get mad, upset, or show his pride during games anymore. After a bad loss his press conferences scream "I don't know what to do anymore" without him actually saying it; or anything like it for that matter. He simply looks lost. It puzzles me as to why he hangs on to McCutcheon and Patrick and why he won't go find himself an assistant who ill help him on Special Teams (especially the power play). The PP (Or there lack of) has been the death of this team for years... Lindy seems content with just going through the same motions.

Bottom line: The players need to compete, the coaching staff needs to improve and the organization needs to work as 1... not as several different pieces.
Quote:
There is blame to shed out all over the place, but in order for something to change... some sort of move needs to be made. Darcy can swap some players out, but is the same passion going to be in the bench? Is that lack of passion going to flow onto the ice?

Without passion from your coach its hard to believe there would be much passion in the players. I don't want a coach around here if he isn't going to go to bat for his team, his fans, or his city when something is completely wrong. I want a coach who is going to "send out the troops" when his best player is sidelined with a cheap shot. Not one who is going to "Let the league handle it."
Its mind boggling to know that these same things are happening game after game and this guy still has a job here.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:25 AM
puckish66

Anyone else think Lindy is putting in all his chips by using the injury excuse so blatantly? He's got Ted Black buying into it, that's for sure. So what happens now that the team is getting healthy? If the losses continue to mount through New Year's, what choice does ownership have?

Oh yeah. Never mind.

On a side note, the scapegoating of Drew Stafford, which the media wholeheartedly buys into, is sad. When does Lindy accept some blame for his team getting outshot something like 23-3 during a game? Look for Lindy to continue setting up a fall guy, and don't be surprised if his buddy Darcy doesn't bail him out by trading said fall guy.

One more thing. "Setch-choor-uh." Come on Lindy, respect your players enough to pronounce their names right. Grag-nanny. Hekt. What a tool.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:37 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
In the next two years, the Sabres have to get to the 3rd round, at the least. If not, Lindy should be axed.
Way to long for me. So if we don't make the playoffs this year you would give him a nother?

Old
12-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I wouldn't mind a swap of Ruff for Tortorella.
Torts would be awesome, if for no reason other than his hilarious post-game comments and interviews.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:21 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
For the sake of not bumping another thread I'll just throw some of my posts that I stumbled across from previous years in here...

These are from the beginning of last year... I think we all saw #1 oh probably about 13 games ago.

Its mind boggling to know that these same things are happening game after game and this guy still has a job here.
because the team looked more interested in early Christmas shopping as opposed to playing hockey. <<<< This is classic.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:28 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Torts would be awesome, if for no reason other than his hilarious post-game comments and interviews.
Tortorella VS Bucky would be amusing, to say the least.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Anyone else think Lindy is putting in all his chips by using the injury excuse so blatantly? He's got Ted Black buying into it, that's for sure. So what happens now that the team is getting healthy? If the losses continue to mount through New Year's, what choice does ownership have?
I'm tired of the injury crutch. Philly has played pretty well without Pronger, a future HOF'er, so why is the Tyler Myers injury such a crutch given how inconsistent he was early in the season? I won't be surprised if Philly does well without Giroux, too, especially given how well they played in their dismantling of Washington last night at Verizon Center. Pittsburgh has done well without Crosby.

We've actually upgraded from Boyes to Kassian. Hecht is a loss, but we weren't good with him in the lineup, either. Injuries allowed us to discover McNabb sooner. I have to wonder at what point the injuries can no longer be relied upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
On a side note, the scapegoating of Drew Stafford, which the media wholeheartedly buys into, is sad. When does Lindy accept some blame for his team getting outshot something like 23-3 during a game? Look for Lindy to continue setting up a fall guy, and don't be surprised if his buddy Darcy doesn't bail him out by trading said fall guy.
As I said in the other thread, I'm very interested to see how ERS reacts to being called out in the media. Maybe they respond well. Maybe they wonder why they're being scapegoated when they've been the best ES line since the 3rd period of the Philly game. If they don't respond, I think it'll be evidence that Ruff is losing the room, if he hasn't lost it yet.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm tired of the injury crutch. Philly has played pretty well without Pronger, a future HOF'er, so why is the Tyler Myers injury such a crutch given how inconsistent he was early in the season? I won't be surprised if Philly does well without Giroux, too, especially given how well they played in their dismantling of Washington last night at Verizon Center. Pittsburgh has done well without Crosby.

We've actually upgraded from Boyes to Kassian. Hecht is a loss, but we weren't good with him in the lineup, either. Injuries allowed us to discover McNabb sooner. I have to wonder at what point the injuries can no longer be relied upon.

As I said in the other thread, I'm very interested to see if how ERS reacts to being called out in the media. Maybe they respond well. Maybe they wonder why they're being scapegoated when they've been the best ES line since the 3rd period of the Philly game. If they don't respond, I think it'll be evidence that Ruff is losing the room, if he hasn't lost it yet.
I've had the same feeling... the net result of all the injuries has actually been a positive.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ruff may or may not have lost the room, but he's clearly lost the support of many.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Ruff may or may not have lost the room, but he's clearly lost the support of many.
He lost me back in the Biron years

Old
12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Vito_81

I'm aboard the fire Ruff bandwagon. But who's out there that can replace him. I don't want to be firing Ruff just to bring in some NHL first timer.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
I'm aboard the fire Ruff bandwagon. But who's out there that can replace him. I don't want to be firing Ruff just to bring in some NHL first timer.
Carlyle's the biggest name available right now.

I don't think Black and/or Pegula make any kind of move until after the season though, so it probably doesn't make much difference who's out there right now.

Closed Thread