HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2011, 09:54 AM
  #151
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
He lost me back in the Biron years
No? Really? We had no idea.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
  #152
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,117
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
I'm aboard the fire Ruff bandwagon. But who's out there that can replace him. I don't want to be firing Ruff just to bring in some NHL first timer.
Why? Two of the leading candidates for the Jack Adams right now are Mike Yeo in Minnesota and Kevin Dineen in Florida. I actually think this team will respond better to a younger coach with a different approach. I'm not apprehensive in the slightest about going with a young, hungry coach.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 10:11 AM
  #153
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
I wanted Dineen (and Tallon, sadly enough), I'd settle for Boughner.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 10:11 AM
  #154
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,117
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Carlyle's the biggest name available right now.

I don't think Black and/or Pegula make any kind of move until after the season though, so it probably doesn't make much difference who's out there right now.
I was on the Anaheim board a fair bit around the time that it came out that Bobby Ryan may be available, and the things being said about Carlyle were not flattering. Specifically, posters were talking about how woefully unprepared the team looked early in games and early in periods. They had a stat that Anaheim had a goal differential of -24 in the first 8 minutes of each period.

The guy is a Cup-winner, but I think I'd prefer a younger coach for this group.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 10:19 AM
  #155
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I was on the Anaheim board a fair bit around the time that it came out that Bobby Ryan may be available, and the things being said about Carlyle were not flattering. Specifically, posters were talking about how woefully unprepared the team looked early in games and early in periods. They had a stat that Anaheim had a goal differential of -24 in the first 8 minutes of each period.

The guy is a Cup-winner, but I think I'd prefer a younger coach for this group.
I don't really know enough about the guy to know if he'd fit here or not. He's just the biggest "name" guy out there I can think of if they wanted to replace Ruff with someone who's been around.

Myllz is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
  #156
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I've had the same feeling... the net result of all the injuries has actually been a positive.
The kids, and the random team-building that's gone on this season (Vanek/Poms, Ehrhoff's fight), in spite of Ruff botching things left and right have been the only things keeping me watching.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 10:49 AM
  #157
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Time for fresh blood. No old Sabres. No cantankerous re-treads.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 10:56 AM
  #158
puckish66
Registered User
 
puckish66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Time for fresh blood. No old Sabres. No cantankerous re-treads.
You mean like Teppo, Jeepo and Clarencite Kevyn Adams?

I continue to be flabbergasted by Lindy's coaching staff, the least experienced in the NHL, when he clearly had a blank check to upgrade and expand his staff any way he saw fit.

See also: no assistant GM.

puckish66 is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
  #159
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,117
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
You mean like Teppo, Jeepo and Clarencite Kevyn Adams?

I continue to be flabbergasted by Lindy's coaching staff, the least experienced in the NHL, when he clearly had a blank check to upgrade and expand his staff any way he saw fit.

See also: no assistant GM.
Hey now, they have an Assistant to the GM.


Zip15 is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 11:05 AM
  #160
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,244
vCash: 500
Who has been the AHL coach with most wins or best record over the past 5-6 years? Maybe consider that

I do agree that if Ruff does go, his eventual replacement should not be a re-tread. As far as an ex-sabre however, if the guy has a very good history of winning and happens to be an ex-sabre, that's fine. I wouldn't hold it against him for being an ex-sabre.

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 11:10 AM
  #161
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,117
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Who has been the AHL coach with most wins or best record over the past 5-6 years? Maybe consider that

I do agree that if Ruff does go, his eventual replacement should not be a re-tread. As far as an ex-sabre however, if the guy has a very good history of winning and happens to be an ex-sabre, that's fine. I wouldn't hold it against him for being an ex-sabre.
I'm currently on the Boughner train. He did well in Windsor, got a year of experience as an assistant last season, and wants to be a head coach in the NHL (he interviewed for the Sens' vacancy last summer). I think he'd be a great fit for this group. It warms my heart to envision in him getting in the faces of some of the current players. He would both demand and earn respect.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
  #162
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm currently on the Boughner train. He did well in Windsor, got a year of experience as an assistant last season, and wants to be a head coach in the NHL (he interviewed for the Sens' vacancy last summer). I think he'd be a great fit for this group. It warms my heart to envision in him getting in the faces of some of the current players. He would both demand and earn respect.
He needs an X's-and-O's guy though, as he did in Windsor. As a motivator and button pusher with the Spits, he's good. He needs a Paul Theriault or John Tortorella type of assistant.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 11:19 AM
  #163
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,244
vCash: 500
This is probably crazy talk buuuut .... Is it at all possible that Ruff is making these odd line combos because he either is out of ideas, OR wants to slide down in the standings to almost force Darcy to get different talent in here sooner rather than later, OR he has had enough of Buffalo and the Sabres and just wants out? Off the wall, i know, but maybe one of those ideas are possible.

Or simply, with all the injuries, he's just treading water waiting for all the regulars to come back.

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 11:24 AM
  #164
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He needs an X's-and-O's guy though, as he did in Windsor. As a motivator and button pusher with the Spits, he's good. He needs a Paul Theriault or John Tortorella type of assistant.
He'd have a blank check to bring in that sort of guy...

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 11:24 AM
  #165
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
This is probably crazy talk buuuut .... Is it at all possible that Ruff is making these odd line combos because he either is out of ideas, OR wants to slide down in the standings to almost force Darcy to get different talent in here sooner rather than later, OR he has had enough of Buffalo and the Sabres and just wants out? Off the wall, i know, but maybe one of those ideas are possible.

Or simply, with all the injuries, he's just treading water waiting for all the regulars to come back.
or, he's doing nothing different from what he's done throughout his entire coaching career ?

Jame is online now  
Old
12-14-2011, 11:28 AM
  #166
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
This is probably crazy talk buuuut .... Is it at all possible that Ruff is making these odd line combos because he either is out of ideas, OR wants to slide down in the standings to almost force Darcy to get different talent in here sooner rather than later, OR he has had enough of Buffalo and the Sabres and just wants out? Off the wall, i know, but maybe one of those ideas are possible.

Or simply, with all the injuries, he's just treading water waiting for all the regulars to come back.
Most likely, it's the injury stuff. He's got Chewie in at center with Vanek and Pominville -- Szczechura's a relatively safe player who skates well -- as a place holder until Hecht is back. When Vanek and Pom's are on, the center doesn't matter much and as we've seen, Paul's capable of bringing something to the table himself.

Ennis-Roy-Stafford, throwback to last year.
Adam-Leino-Kassian, has it's moments both good and bad. They seem to be clicking so no issues there right now.
McCormick-Gaustad-____________ seems fairly standard as a 4th line.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 11:33 AM
  #167
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Anddd with the sabres blowing yet another home game by doing almost nothing positive after getting a lead, I'm officially on the get lindy out of here bandwagon. Yes, some of it's on the players and injuries. And IMO he was an effective coach here for quite a while and could still be good on a different team. But over the past 3ish years, when the sabres get a lead, I'm usually tempted to turn off the game to save myself the frustration of watching them blow it. When you have to worry because your team is up by 2 or 3 in the first or 2nd period, there's a major problem.

kirby11 is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
  #168
nnynetpotato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post
Can you give an example of a poorly coached Cup winning team? I'd love to know when that happened.
Jean Perron and Claude Ruel's Habs.

I don't think Bylsma's that great a tactical coach either.

nnynetpotato is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
  #169
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,312
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
If Dineen were still in the organization, I would say firing Ruff would be a pretty easy choice right now. Offer him a position in the hockey operations if he wants it. However, lacking the clear high-quality replacement candidate, I'm left in a state of indifference on the matter. I would not at all be upset if they fired him. I suppose that means Patrick would be the interim coach until the offseason. He could probably handle that.

This isn't to say I do or don't hold Ruff to blame, but it's the easiest and most obvious way to change the team, along with some personnel moves now or in the offseason. The coach + a large amount of players have simply been together too long with too many weak spots existing in the overall team make-up.

That's not to say I don't think they can turn it around without any moves, but I do think this is the point where no one should have a problem with big changes being made.

Rob Paxon is online now  
Old
12-14-2011, 03:54 PM
  #170
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,312
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why? Two of the leading candidates for the Jack Adams right now are Mike Yeo in Minnesota and Kevin Dineen in Florida. I actually think this team will respond better to a younger coach with a different approach. I'm not apprehensive in the slightest about going with a young, hungry coach.
I rather think that is the exact way you replace a guy who has been here for a century. Bringing in a veteran coach who's been kicked around the league doesn't really inspire any more confidence to me than keeping Ruff, other than the mere sake of change.

Rob Paxon is online now  
Old
12-14-2011, 03:58 PM
  #171
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I rather think that is the exact way you replace a guy who has been here for a century. Bringing in a veteran coach who's been kicked around the league doesn't really inspire any more confidence to me than keeping Ruff, other than the mere sake of change.
the last time i voted for change, nothing changed. I'll stick with the devil i know thank yinz very much...

Play4Miracles* is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
  #172
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,312
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
the last time i voted for change, nothing changed. I'll stick with the devil i know thank yinz very much...
That's how I feel about a vet replacement, but if they find a suitably impressive young coach such as they had in Dineen, I would feel very strongly in favor of making the switch.

Rob Paxon is online now  
Old
12-14-2011, 04:44 PM
  #173
jlr
\m/o.o\m/
 
jlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why? Two of the leading candidates for the Jack Adams right now are Mike Yeo in Minnesota and Kevin Dineen in Florida. I actually think this team will respond better to a younger coach with a different approach. I'm not apprehensive in the slightest about going with a young, hungry coach.
And Bylsma in Pittsburgh - I'm sure there's a pretty good list NHL coaches who've done great with their first teams. Who knows, the numbers may be better for first timers than for coaches with previous experience - after all, they're probably unemployed for a reason.

I've made this point before, but the decision to part ways with Ruff should be a completely separate decision from who we may get to replace him. Until that vacancy actually exists, we have no idea who is really available to replace him. Pick an interim coach, and then do a real, full-blown search for a permanent replacement.

He's either meeting expectations or he's not.

jlr is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 07:03 PM
  #174
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
And Bylsma in Pittsburgh - I'm sure there's a pretty good list NHL coaches who've done great with their first teams. Who knows, the numbers may be better for first timers than for coaches with previous experience - after all, they're probably unemployed for a reason.

I've made this point before, but the decision to part ways with Ruff should be a completely separate decision from who we may get to replace him. Until that vacancy actually exists, we have no idea who is really available to replace him. Pick an interim coach, and then do a real, full-blown search for a permanent replacement.

He's either meeting expectations or he's not.
Id say he hasn't met expectations since 05-06 when there weren't many going into the season.

S319R11S16 is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:45 AM
  #175
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Remember, after Pegula took over and some of the threads here and in some of Gleason's TBN columns, there were some theories that Craig Patrick (given his roots with the Penguins) could be a guy Pegula/Black might consider as a replacement / advisor for Regier?

Just saw interview today on NHL Live with Patrick, who was hired as an "advisor" in Columbus to help Howson. Listening to him, it made me wish the theories came true this summer. He would have been a welcome new voice to put pressure on Regier.

Sabretip is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.