HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2011, 06:59 PM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
bump

Old
12-17-2011, 07:32 PM
5 Minute Major

Officially reached it.

Old
12-17-2011, 08:11 PM
CrankyJay

My limit? Playing musical chairs with goalies in the same game. It reeks of desperation.

Old
12-17-2011, 08:22 PM
firefighterEMT33

My limit with Ruff was reached a long time ago, but tonight has absolutely sealed the deal for me. Pittsburgh has lost 160 man-games to injury and Buffalo has lost 117. They're just as injured as Buffalo is and are missing two of their best players in Staal and Crosby. Despite all that, they have destroyed Buffalo tonight.

Old
12-17-2011, 08:29 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I've reached it. So much so I registered three domains devoted to getting him fired.

Old
12-17-2011, 08:45 PM
jfb392

I was done with him last season but was indifferent after the run to the playoffs.
Tonight changed things.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:10 PM
slip

If we can pay Kotalik and Morrisonn 5 million to play elsewhere, Pegula can afford to give Ruff a nice severance package.

Done.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:10 PM
indigoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
My limit? Playing musical chairs with goalies in the same game. It reeks of desperation.
You and me both!

Desperation, and a coach that just doesn't have it anymore.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:24 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
I've never considered firing Ruff once until today. Just awful coaching against a team that had as many injuries as the Sabres. Gragnani isn't in our top 9 defensemen but for some reason he continues playing him. THe logical choice was to start Enroth today and he threw in Miller.... then changed to Enroth.... then changed back to Enroth?! why? No one can say injuries.... yes Myers is hurt... but Gerbe, Hecht and Boyes don't make this team! If this team doesn't play the way they played last year after Christmas..... no way Lindy should make it. I wouldn't fire a coach him midseason solely off of what this team did last year. I feel that if this team doesn't make the playoffs.... Lindy and the Orginial Rochester Core (outside Vanek) need to be shipped.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:56 PM
rabi

Sabres: Ruff thought Martin did well

Doesn't this say it all?

Old
12-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Sabres: Ruff thought Martin did well

Doesn't this say it all?

I don't think it says anything. Generally it's bad manners to speak bad of a colleague who just got fired. You say something nice or don't say anything.

Old
12-17-2011, 10:53 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
I don't think it says anything. Generally it's bad manners to speak bad of a colleague who just got fired. You say something nice or don't say anything.
Which is why his press confrences usually blow too.

Old
12-18-2011, 04:47 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

it's time for a change

Old
12-18-2011, 08:15 AM
littletonhockeycoach

It's pretty well acknowledged that Ruff's strength has been being able to get the most out of the players he has to work with.

Following that, it suggests that if this is the most that Ruff can get out of this group of players, then a big part of the problem has to be the players.

There are too many pieces missing right now. Mgmt is not going to can Ruff when 7 + starters are consistantly out of the line up.

I'm frustrated, we're all frustrated. Even Pegula sounds frustrated. In fact, I am past my limit with Lindy. But the plan is going to be to first get healthy and see how the team does prior to the trade deadline and then be active if necessary. And then follow thru in the summer.

Right now, mgmt has no leverage player trade wise or solid immediate prospects replacement coach wise. (Martin, Murray, Crawford, Carlyle, Foligno aren't the answer. Check that...... Carlyle could be an answer. But it ain't happening.)

Old
12-18-2011, 10:48 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Vogl tossed a number out a number tweet today...

169 NHL Coaching changes since Lindy was hired in 1997.

Ruff being the longest tenured coach, safe to say that every team that has won the cup since 1997 has had a coach who has been replaced.

Lindy has won 1 Jack Adams Award in 14 years, Yet people around the league deem him un replaceable... Make much sense?

Old
12-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Katana

Can anyone honestly say these players are giving their all for Lindy?

Their performance last night was an indictment of Ruff's coaching as well as Regier's player personnel decisions.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:58 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Watching the Buffalo media stick up for him baffles me. They've run Bills coaches out of town for much less. Maybe he makes their job easier...I have no idea.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:01 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I've never considered firing Ruff once until today. Just awful coaching against a team that had as many injuries as the Sabres. Gragnani isn't in our top 9 defensemen but for some reason he continues playing him. THe logical choice was to start Enroth today and he threw in Miller.... then changed to Enroth.... then changed back to Enroth?!
Miller should have been yanked after the first 2 against. He was shakey on both. It doesn't matter if the second was a nice play and shot while the Sabres were down a man. You could tell with ease that Miller was struggling. But of course, Ruff waited for 3 against. Then he went back to Miller again!?

How about scratching one of the Sabres best 3 defenders (in my opinion) Brayden McNabb so that 1)The struggling Gragnani could play, and 2)So that Colin Stuart could skate on the 4th line..........

What's really sad? "Lindy Ruff ain't goin' anywhere."

Old
12-18-2011, 11:04 AM
ShaPow

Oh, and I totally agree. You start your backup goaltender on the second of back-to-backs. Especially with a little travel in the middle. That's one of the situations you actually carry a backup goaltender for.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
Agreed - Ruff was even asked point-blank on WGR morning show last week of what he felt, seeing so many of his peers lose their jobs. He said he had tons of respect for all of his coaching peers and felt very grateful that he's been able to coach in 1 place as long as he has without having to move family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Watching the Buffalo media stick up for him baffles me.
I think only 50% defend him - Gleason, Simon, Vogl, Felser - but an equal number - Harrington, Sullivan, Schopp & Bulldog - repeatedly lobby for a coaching change. Hamilton seems to be on the fence, acknowledging Ruff's abilities and how a line of teams would form to hire him, yet criticizing many of Ruff's decisions and choices.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:21 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Agreed - Ruff was even asked point-blank on WGR morning show last week of what he felt, seeing so many of his peers lose their jobs. He said he had tons of respect for all of his coaching peers and felt very grateful that he's been able to coach in 1 place as long as he has without having to move family.

I think only 50% defend him - Gleason, Simon, Vogl, Felser - but an equal number - Harrington, Sullivan, Schopp & Bulldog - repeatedly lobby for a coaching change. Hamilton seems to be on the fence, acknowledging Ruff's abilities and how a line of teams would form to hire him, yet criticizing many of Ruff's decisions and choices.
Sully and Bulldog rarely call out the coach; and when they do, they tip-toe around it. With Sully, it's the GM. With Bulldog, it's Derek Roy. The coach is very far down their list of problems.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:50 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

So let the teams line up. You cant be worried about a guy succeeding somewhere else. Player, gm, coach, whatever... You just cant. If he isnt getting the job done, you need to move him/them.

Thats the main issue wih this organizaton. From the top on down they are too freaking worried about giving up on guys. They are too worried that they are going to miss out on them so they hang on until its too late.

Darcy, Lindy, and the players are all the issue.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:04 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
So let the teams line up. You cant be worried about a guy succeeding somewhere else. Player, gm, coach, whatever... You just cant. If he isnt getting the job done, you need to move him/them.

Thats the main issue wih this organizaton. From the top on down they are too freaking worried about giving up on guys. They are too worried that they are going to miss out on them so they hang on until its too late.

Darcy, Lindy, and the players are all the issue.
As long as regier's here, this is going to continue being an issue. Not talking about just the beloved rochester core, but we did it with guys like afinogenov and connolly. Keeping them after they stopped being effective because they played well in the past or had some potential. Even happened to a certain extent with Rivet and their stubborn insistence on keeping him in the lineup even though weber was clearly a better option. We're seeing it a bit this year with grags, although he's had to play out of necessity because of injuries. Despite his struggles, he rarely came out of the lineup. This organization needs to stop being blinded by love for "their" guys.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:32 PM
OneSharpMarble

Who would you guys suggest replace Ruff? I always thought he was a pretty good coach, one Montreal wouldn't mind snagging if he became available.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:39 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Who would you guys suggest replace Ruff? I always thought he was a pretty good coach, one Montreal wouldn't mind snagging if he became available.
Start with an interm and go from there. They already let Dineen slip out from underneath them.

Closed Thread