HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Pechorin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Start with an interm and go from there. They already let Dineen slip out from underneath them.
James Patrick? I dread that scenario.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:56 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
As long as regier's here, this is going to continue being an issue. Not talking about just the beloved rochester core, but we did it with guys like afinogenov and connolly. Keeping them after they stopped being effective because they played well in the past or had some potential. Even happened to a certain extent with Rivet and their stubborn insistence on keeping him in the lineup even though weber was clearly a better option. We're seeing it a bit this year with grags, although he's had to play out of necessity because of injuries. Despite his struggles, he rarely came out of the lineup. This organization needs to stop being blinded by love for "their" guys.
I agree.

Pegula and Black love Darcy and Lindy.

Darcy and Lindy love their players.

Lindy is fine with he way Darcy runs his ship. If Lindy wasnt in on player movement then he wouldn't be here. He has had numerous chances to leave after his contract but he hasn't. That tells me 1 thing... He is content with how Darcy runs things and he is content with his team.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:01 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pechorin View Post
James Patrick? I dread that scenario.
How much worse can it be?

Old
12-18-2011, 01:15 PM
JPurp26

Patrick knows his stuff and is younger.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:26 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Patrick knows his stuff and is younger.
If James Patrick is running the Sabres defense and is making the line changes during games, I'm not sure how much stuff he knows in a coaching role.

Old
12-18-2011, 03:19 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post
Miller should have been yanked after the first 2 against. He was shakey on both. It doesn't matter if the second was a nice play and shot while the Sabres were down a man. You could tell with ease that Miller was struggling. But of course, Ruff waited for 3 against. Then he went back to Miller again!?
When was the last time Ruff pulled a starting goalie after 2 goals? That seems a bit rash. But I definitely agree that putting him back in a second time was dumb. Really, really dumb. And he's not doing Enroth's confidence any favors either.

Quote:
How about scratching one of the Sabres best 3 defenders (in my opinion) Brayden McNabb so that 1)The struggling Gragnani could play, and 2)So that Colin Stuart could skate on the 4th line..........
Have we been given any reason why McNabb sat and Gragnani played? Unless McNabb is hurt, it makes no sense.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:45 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
When was the last time Ruff pulled a starting goalie after 2 goals? That seems a bit rash. But I definitely agree that putting him back in a second time was dumb. Really, really dumb. And he's not doing Enroth's confidence any favors either.

Have we been given any reason why McNabb sat and Gragnani played? Unless McNabb is hurt, it makes no sense.
McNabb is not hurt. Ruff is just a train wreck of a head coach, and he has been for quite some time.

And it's not time to coddle anyone, including Ryan Miller. He shouldn't have even gotten the start, but since he did, when you see how rocky he looks after a couple of goals against, you do what needs to be done. He was as shaky as he's ever been on 2 goals. Give your team a chance to get a much needed win. Your starting goaltender wasn't going to do that for you based on those 2 goals. That much was obvious.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:54 AM
puckish66

If Lindy were president, he could be impeached for some of the comments he's been making.

The harping on injuries is incredible. Does Bylsma say the same kind of things?

Here's the latest from today's News:

Quote:
The Sabres' work ethic has repeatedly been questioned, both inside and out of the dressing room. The team repeatedly brings up last year's second-half run that drove it into the playoffs. It's as if they believe things will just suddenly click again soon and they'll return to prominence.

"I don't think you can talk about that until you get your team back," coach Lindy Ruff said. "You're looking at a line out there of [Evgeni] Malkin and [Chris] Kunitz, and I've got [Zack] Kassian, [Paul] Szczechura and Luke Adam on the ice. You're asking a lot out of the kids, and they've played hard for us. But we need some bodies back."
Strong leaders just don't think in defeatist terms like that. They don't give their team an out. Now we have the players and even Ted Black mirroring that attitude, and if we ever heard from Terry, I'm sure he would too, given his comments about the Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek injuries in previous seasons.

Anyone else remember "Eeyore Hockey"?

Old
12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
ShaPow

This quote from Ruff has me seething. SEETHING. I really can't take this anymore. Pegula has got to take action and take off the rose colored glasses he wears when looking at his head coach.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle678254.ece
Quote:
The Sabres' work ethic has repeatedly been questioned, both inside and out of the dressing room. The team repeatedly brings up last year's second-half run that drove it into the playoffs. It's as if they believe things will just suddenly click again soon and they'll return to prominence.

"I don't think you can talk about that until you get your team back," coach Lindy Ruff said. "You're looking at a line out there of [Evgeni] Malkin and [Chris] Kunitz, and I've got [Zack] Kassian, [Paul] Szczechura and Luke Adam on the ice. You're asking a lot out of the kids, and they've played hard for us. But we need some bodies back."
Lindy, are ****ing you kidding me? He's actually serious! The Penguins injury issues are worse than Buffalo's! Secondly, you're throwing Luke Adam and Zack Kassian, two of your better players as of late, directly under the bus? As if they don't belong on the same ice surface as Chris ****ing Kunitz? Who the hell do you think you are? You're using the other "kid" Paul Szczechura on YOUR TOP LINE. That's YOUR decision! He doesn't have to play on the top line, and dare I say he shouldn't be on your top line, but that's where your genius thought process has put him. You must not think he's that terrible! He's obviously a better option than that slug Luke Adam you've demoted from the top line, right?

What makes this even worse is that the Penguins are missing their #1 center, a top pairing defender in Letang, their top penalty killing forward and 3rd line center Jordan Staal, and another top defender in Paul Martin. Funny, I don't hear any excuses from Pittsburgh. Never have for that matter; and they've had major injury problems for multiple seasons now.

Does everyone understand the complete disconnect that this head coach is displaying? He's at an all time low. This **** is straight up embarrassing. Ruff is, by far, this organizations single biggest problem.

Old
12-19-2011, 09:07 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
If Lindy were president, he could be impeached for some of the comments he's been making.

Strong leaders just don't think in defeatist terms like that. They don't give their team an out. Now we have the players and even Ted Black mirroring that attitude, and if we ever heard from Terry, I'm sure he would too, given his comments about the Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek injuries in previous seasons.

You beat me to it, but we're on the same page. I'm just at a complete loss at this point. This is as bad as I've felt about the Sabres since the bankruptcy years.

Old
12-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
You're looking at a line out there of [Evgeni] Malkin and [Chris] Kunitz, and I've got [Zack] Kassian, [Paul] Szczechura and Luke Adam on the ice.
What a lame statement. What about the times when you have Vanek and Pominville on the ice and they have Williams, Tangradi, Vitale and/or Depres on the ice?

Old
12-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
"I don't think you can talk about that until you get your team back," coach Lindy Ruff said. "You're looking at a line out there of [Evgeni] Malkin and [Chris] Kunitz, and I've got [Zack] Kassian, [Paul] Szczechura and Luke Adam on the ice. You're asking a lot out of the kids, and they've played hard for us. But we need some bodies back.
The coach who makes that comment, has clearly lost the room and confidence of those around him

Old
12-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post

I shook my head at that, as well. Didn't hear Pittsburgh talking about how they had Picard and Despres out against VRP at one point. They really need to move away from talking about injuries. Whether they're having an impact or not is irrelevant. By continuously talking about them, it shows a lack of faith in the guys who are up, and the players start thinking, "yeah, we are pretty injured" and begin accepting the mediocrity and chalking it up to injuries, as well.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:27 AM
HiddenInLight

Its things like that that make me support lindy less and less...he is making it really hard to buy his message...is he that lame with the players?

Old
12-19-2011, 11:27 AM
kirby11

Yep, nice call, Lindy. Keep playing the injury card. Totally makes sense. Even though Pittsburgh is just as injured as us and continues winning. Even though Minnesota has lost more man games to injury than Buffalo and is 2nd in the whole freaking league. It was ridiculous to think you might say something like, "Yeah, we're injured, but so are alot of other teams, and we expect the guys who are playing now to give it their all" or "This is the type of game when our core needs to step up for a night." Nope, just remove all accountability from the team, and then wonder why the majority of your core sucks and the only forwards that consistently play hard (other than vanek, pominville, leino just before he got hurt, and post injury ennis) are the rookies who haven't been here long enough to know they can get away with being lazy.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:29 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Hopefully Pegs brings the hammer down soon. Utterly unacceptable.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:38 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Unacceptable. That's all there is to it. You don't say that. Not only is it a lame cop-out, it's a slap in the face to the kids who have come up here with little or no NHL experience and out-played many of the established players on this team.

What an unbelievably bone-headed thing to say. It's well past time for Ruff to go, and this should seal the deal. Get rid of this clown before he does any more damage to the rookie class's confidence.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

the pens pretty much rolled out an ahl blue line, so i mean...weak. weak excuse for a hockey team

Old
12-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I shook my head at that, as well. Didn't hear Pittsburgh talking about how they had Picard and Despres out against VRP at one point. They really need to move away from talking about injuries. Whether they're having an impact or not is irrelevant. By continuously talking about them, it shows a lack of faith in the guys who are up, and the players start thinking, "yeah, we are pretty injured" and begin accepting the mediocrity and chalking it up to injuries, as well.
nailed it...

it also has the compounding affect of creating the idea that Ruff doesn't believe in a lot of the young, promising, future core of this team (Adam, Kassian, McNabb)

Old
12-19-2011, 12:17 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Unacceptable. That's all there is to it. You don't say that. Not only is it a lame cop-out, it's a slap in the face to the kids who have come up here with little or no NHL experience and out-played many of the established players on this team.

What an unbelievably bone-headed thing to say. It's well past time for Ruff to go, and this should seal the deal. Get rid of this clown before he does any more damage to the rookie class's confidence.
Ohhhhh that's it.

I'm ****ing livid right now.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:25 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
This quote from Ruff has me seething. SEETHING. I really can't take this anymore. Pegula has got to take action and take off the rose colored glasses he wears when looking at his head coach.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle678254.ece

Lindy, are ****ing you kidding me? He's actually serious! The Penguins injury issues are worse than Buffalo's! Secondly, you're throwing Luke Adam and Zack Kassian, two of your better players as of late, directly under the bus? As if they don't belong on the same ice surface as Chris ****ing Kunitz? Who the hell do you think you are? You're using the other "kid" Paul Szczechura on YOUR TOP LINE. That's YOUR decision! He doesn't have to play on the top line, and dare I say he shouldn't be on your top line, but that's where your genius thought process has put him. You must not think he's that terrible! He's obviously a better option than that slug Luke Adam you've demoted from the top line, right?

What makes this even worse is that the Penguins are missing their #1 center, a top pairing defender in Letang, their top penalty killing forward and 3rd line center Jordan Staal, and another top defender in Paul Martin. Funny, I don't hear any excuses from Pittsburgh. Never have for that matter; and they've had major injury problems for multiple seasons now.

Does everyone understand the complete disconnect that this head coach is displaying? He's at an all time low. This **** is straight up embarrassing. Ruff is, by far, this organizations single biggest problem.
Seriously... **** that and **** that guy.

What an embarrassment for a 14 year NHL coaching veteran.

Go **** yourself Lindy.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:55 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Article on NHL.com by EJ Hradek today: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=607211

Some quotes:

Quote:
In a salary-cap league, where it's difficult to dramatically change your team with in-season trades, the coach is usually the fall guy.

If your team is underperforming, fire the coach. If your team isn't giving consistent effort, fire the coach. Heck, if your team just isn't that good, fire the coach.

In the coming weeks, I'm not convinced that Cunneyworth will have any more success than Martin. The Habs, who've been dealing with a number of injuries, are a flawed group. They're undersized and not strong up the middle. Under the circumstances, the team could be even further down the standings.

Thus far, the Blues have been the only team to benefit from making a coaching change. They were also the first team to pull the trigger, making the move Nov. 6.

In Washington, Dale Hunter has gone just 4-5 since replacing Bruce Boudreau on Nov. 28.

Carolina was 8-13-4 under Maurice. Since the change, Eric Staal and Co. are just 2-5-2. ...

The easy-going Boudreau hasn't had any more luck than the intense Carlyle. Anaheim is just 2-5-1 under its new coach.

Thus far, the [Kings] hasn't seemed too inspired by the change, going 1-2 under interim boss John Stevens. LA looked particularly outclassed in an 8-2 loss in Detroit on Saturday night.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:59 PM
puckish66

Lindy's getting creative now.

Quote:
Miller insisted he's healthy coming off his concussion but coach Lindy Ruff wonders.

"I think he is but I've seen in the past where a Pominville came back from his and it took a long time to get in the groove," Ruff said. "There's been a history of players that when they come off. I don't know the answer. I believe he's healthy but I've definitely seen in the past guys come off head injuries and in some cases it's weeks, some cases it's even longer before they play well."
—The Sabres Edge blog

Damn, this guy's goooooood.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:00 PM
puckish66

Oh, woe is us.

Quote:
Cracked captain Jason Pominville: "We might need a priest to come in the room and give us a little more luck that way but we don't want to use any excuses."
—The Sabres Edge blog

Old
12-19-2011, 01:15 PM
McTankel

vCash: 50
When Lindy gets fired, I will begin to watch this team again. He has been with the team far to long, the "core" group of players that have been here for years upon years get comfortable with the same coaches in place year after year and because of that feel no need to actually play to there potential.

Here is a great example...The Green Bay Unstoppable packers got beat my a 4-9 Kansas City Chiefs who just fired there coach earlier in the week. Coaching changes create a changed in the mentality of the players. The year the Penguins won the cup, they changed coaches mid season! There are far to many examples of teams firing coaches and them being successful shortly thereafter. Especially the case with the team and skill level we have on this team. (Minus all the injuries)

Lindy has been with this team for what 15 years? Just look at this list...

Jerry Sloan, Jazz ... Dec. 19, 1988

Tony La Russa, Cardinals ... Oct. 23, 1995

Gregg Popovich, Spurs ... Dec. 10, 1996

Lindy Ruff, Sabres ... July 21, 1997

Barry Trotz, Predators ... Aug. 6, 1997

Andy Reid, Eagles ... Jan. 11, 1999

Mike Scioscia, Angels ... Nov. 17, 1999

Bill Belichick, Patriots ... Jan. 27, 2000

I'm to lazy to look up how many won championships, but I know most of them have minus Lindy.

Closed Thread