HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings recall forward Chris Conner from Grand Rapids

Old
12-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Brunnstrom is useless unless he's in the top 6. The Babcock/Leino comparison is a good one.
How? Brunnstrom hasn't shown any capabilities at all and Leino has one good season under his belt, he's terrible again with little support.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Brunstrom is blowing his third chance, the Marlies didn't even want him....really dislike signing him at all.
Why? He's signed on a two-way. If he can't help us he can sure help GR's top6.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
How? Brunnstrom hasn't shown any capabilities at all and Leino has one good season under his belt, he's terrible again with little support.
He's only played in 5 games and in most of those games he got very little ice time.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
I agree Brunnstrom hasn't shown anything, I only remember him playing 1 strong game so far the year the rest he has been invisible.

The comparison to Leino is just that Babs is trying to make Brunnstrom something he's not, forcing him to play defense and all(not that wanting him to play D is a bad thing). We know Brunnstrom aint a great bottom 6 player so either give a him a shot to play in the top 6 or just send him down.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Brunnstrom is being misused the same way Leino was misused. Babs is trying to make a one-dimensional player play defensive-minded hockey and it isn't going all that well. Conner was a productive player for Pittsburgh last year in a fill-in role with all their injuries. I think he can play the checking role a lot better than Brunnstrom. Mursak should be play that role well when he returns from the broken foot.
oh god. is Brunnstrom our new Hudler?

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I agree Brunnstrom hasn't shown anything, I only remember him playing 1 strong game so far the year the rest he has been invisible.

The comparison to Leino is just that Babs is trying to make Brunnstrom something he's not, forcing him to play defense and all(not that wanting him to play D is a bad thing). We know Brunnstrom aint a great bottom 6 player so either give a him a shot to play in the top 6 or just send him down.
I think you might have it twisted, Brunnstrom wasn't brought into play exclusively in the top 6. Good players play well in a lot of situations and stand out that forces coaches and GM's to notice.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
DregerFan

Quote:
I think you might have it twisted, Brunnstrom wasn't brought into play exclusively in the top 6. Good players play well in a lot of situations and stand out that forces coaches and GM's to notice.
Some good players still need polish. Brunnstrom is no exception. I feel that the icetime he's getting is sufficient for him to test the tweaks in his play. He will be a perennial call up this season so he can find out what works in the A and try to adapt that to the bigs.

A side note: there's a reason Brunnstrom got a 2 way deal with 100k if he's sent down, aside from discouraging teams at the bottom (who are always in the poor house) from taking him. Its because he has high upside.

I'm happy Hudler won't be back next year as I've been high on Valterii Filppula since 07-08. This way we have enough cap space to pursue a legit big-body goal scoring winger to balance the scoring (putting Franner on one line, and the new guy somewhere else).

In the meanwhile, Brunnstrom will continue to work his way up. Who knows, maybe he'll be a big contributor in the last 20 games of the season and earn a spot on our PO roster?! Dare2dream

DregerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
Such are the trappings of being a more offensive player, with limited defensive ability. I for one have noticed that Brunnstrom at least works his tail off and tries to be better in his own zone. The problem is he is a classic case of top 6 or probably nothing at this level. Some guys can adapt, Cleary being a great example of a guy that can play on the bottom 6 when he isn't firing offensively. Brunnstrom is not good enough defensively at least at the moment for that role, simply put one of the biggest reasons is he cannot kill penalties. Which with our PK in the bottom third of the league means we should explore other options at this time. His commitment to getting better, his work rate from what I see, and commitment to our organization are all top notch. He just needs more time to continue growing, we should not give up on him though in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
No, but if he were there would be a lot less complaining because he's making league minimum and not almost $3m

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Osgood As It Gets
Church of Nyquist

vCash: 651
Good for Conner. He's pretty much the same player as Eaves, though obviously not as good, or else he'd be in the NHL by now. But nevertheless, he'll get his chance to prove his worth on the PK. Imagine a healthy line of Conner - Helm - Mursak

Osgood As It Gets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Nordic*

Why not Nyquist?

I have yet to see him on the Wings.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:08 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Interesting. He hasn't been that productive of late in GR

Hasn't been prodctive? He has 6 goals, 13 assists in 14 games in GR and is 2nd in AHL scoring so I would say he's been fairly productive.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardingsJockstrap View Post
Good for Conner. He's pretty much the same player as Eaves, though obviously not as good, or else he'd be in the NHL by now. But nevertheless, he'll get his chance to prove his worth on the PK. Imagine a healthy line of Conner - Helm - Mursak
Conner is good in the faceoff circle, has great speed, and is very good at the PK. However his only downside is his size and bringing him up for 2-3 weeks will be good but anything outside of that will wear him down and he won't be any good after that. I imagine that Babs brought him up tonight to counter act BUF's speed tonight.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:17 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
Hasn't been prodctive? He has 6 goals, 13 assists in 14 games in GR and is 2nd in AHL scoring so I would say he's been fairly productive.
He meant the past few games.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Shoalzie

Is this just a one game thing with Brunnstrom and his wife having their first child or is this longer term?

I thought Conner looked pretty good on the PK with Helm...looks like a shrimp even next Helm. He's got the good wheels but his lack of size is why he couldn't stick with Dallas or Pittsburgh. He's decent to have as depth but when Eaves and Mursak are back, they're better suited for this role.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:50 AM
waltdetroit

Conner, Eaves, Miller, Brunny, Emm, & Mursak - 6 players for ~4 spots. I think Conner will be in at the season end with Brunny & Emm either in GR or (In Emm's case) maybe claimed on waivers.

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Well if it's to replace Brunnstrom, I'm not too impressed. What is Brunnstrom supposed to prove on the ice playing bottom 6 minutes. Give him a shot in the top 6 for a couple of games. If he's still invisible, then send him back to GR, but bringing him up just to play EV minutes on the third line (no PP whatsoever) is useless.
Thats the thing. This isnt minor hockey, Brunnstrom is a guy who couldnt make Dallas or Toronto and got a last look with the wings. With those limited minutes hes out there, he should be desperate enough to do something to stick.

Why should he get PP time? The wings are near the top of the league on the PP, even if he gets a few points they've got guys getting the job done perfectly right now.

Also why mess up the chemistry this team has? Yeah maybe Bert hasnt played well, but Datsyuk is on a tear and part of that might be Bert opening some space with his big body.

Some career minor leaguer possibly putting up a couple extra points isnt a reason to berak up a top 6 that is firing on all cylinders

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltdetroit View Post
Conner, Eaves, Miller, Brunny, Emm, & Mursak - 6 players for ~4 spots. I think Conner will be in at the season end with Brunny & Emm either in GR or (In Emm's case) maybe claimed on waivers.
Have to admit, I've liked Conner more than Emmerton at this point. At the same time, I think Emmerton is a bit more skilled and has the potential to be the better player in time, if he develops it. Problem is that Conner steps in now and does more...

12-03-2011, 02:50 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Have to admit, I've liked Conner more than Emmerton at this point. At the same time, I think Emmerton is a bit more skilled and has the potential to be the better player in time, if he develops it. Problem is that Conner steps in now and does more...
Absolutely. Conner stood out big-time, Emmerton seems lucky to get a puck touch. The 3rd line had some nice forecheck with him there.It doesn't matter how small he is when he's got the wheels and courage to boot. For now he's got to stay, he is clearly the best candidate to continue.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Conner did awesome for his role. He was a huge improvement over our other rotating 4th liners. I think he's going to earn himself a spot on this team come playoff time.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:40 AM
FabricDetails

Conner's speed with Helm is like a preview of how sweet it would be to watch Helm play with Mursak.

I hope we get to see an Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak line at 100%.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
"I thought he played real well in exhibition," Detroit coach Mike Babcock said. "We wanted to look at (Fabian) Brunnstrom and (Cory) Emmerton. We since have decided that (Conner) can help our penalty kill and help our tenacity and help our work ethic and our speed.

"He’s not a big man at all, but he plays big. He’s hard on pucks. I think he’s going to be a help to us, and with (Danny) Cleary and (Darren) Helm on a line with him, I think that’s a real good opportunity for him to play well."
Interesting...

With Eaves on IR, when Mursak returns are we still on the roster limit, even with Conner? I think Brunnstrom will stay in GR. If Conner can really imrpess, I think Emmerton could potentially be in trouble.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:39 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

We'll see if Connor can bring it day-to-day.
For whatever reason, he hasn't been able to stick up until now, and he's already 27.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
For whatever reason, he hasn't been able to stick up until now, and he's already 27.
Well, he's 5'7" and he doesn't have the world class skills of Marty St. Louis.

He was always the first call-up for the Stars over several seasons. And he played 60 games, plus the playoffs for the Pens last season. If they didn't have so much youth in the pipeline, I'm sure he'd be back there.

So yeah, he hasn't been a typical regular, but he's always found his way onto an NHL roster during the season. And there's a reason a guy who's 5'7" keeps finding an NHL job.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Good point. I have a mate who's a huge Pens fan and his comment, "I think if he's up too long you'll get frustrated". It'll be interesting to watch. He's probably one of those great call-up forwards, but if you're looking for a full-time man, he's probably not the answer.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote