HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings to host Winter Classic within next two seasons

Old
12-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Ricelund
troll

vCash: 500
Wings to host Winter Classic within next two seasons

Via Khan:

Quote:
The Detroit Red Wings are in deep discussions with the NHL about hosting an outdoor game within the next two seasons.

MLive.com has learned the Red Wings expect to host the annual Winter Classic either next season or in 2013-14.

The Red Wings would prefer to have the game at Comerica Park, home of the Tigers, also owned by Mike Ilitch. But it might take place at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor due to its huge capacity.

Detroit and New York are in line for the next two NHL outdoor games in the U.S.
I was at the Hawks-Wings game in '09 and loved it. Hopefully this comes to fruition.

12-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
I like the sound of a game at Michigan Stadium, there would be sooo many people there!

Do we keep Conklin until then?

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Great news. I wasn't able to make the Chicago Winter Classic, but if the Wings host, there's nothing that could stop me from attending.

Who would be the dream match up in Detroit?

Chicago rematch? Boston? Washington? Personally, I think they'd be foolish not to go with Toronto, but I believe there's an NBC issue with Canadian teams. Maybe somebody can expand on that, but I remember reading about it in another Winter Classic thread and it ruled out Canadian based teams from the event.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:05 AM
joe89

Michigan Stadium would be cool due to the insane amount of people. If there's anyone here that went to the college game; can you actually see the puck, though?

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:11 AM
pdd

If it's at Michigan Stadium...

My parents are season ticket holders for UM football and I hope they would give some kind of pre-order for that. And also, hope for my parents to buy the tickets as I would likely not be able to afford them

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:19 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post

My parents are season ticket holders for UM football and I hope they would give some kind of pre-order for that. And also, hope for my parents to buy the tickets as I would likely not be able to afford them
Hope they actually sell it out and don't pretend and give phony numbers like when MSU and U of M played there last year.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:34 AM
MVPete96

It will be at comerica.

MVPete96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:41 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Great news. I wasn't able to make the Chicago Winter Classic, but if the Wings host, there's nothing that could stop me from attending.

Who would be the dream match up in Detroit?

Chicago rematch? Boston? Washington? Personally, I think they'd be foolish not to go with Toronto, but I believe there's an NBC issue with Canadian teams. Maybe somebody can expand on that, but I remember reading about it in another Winter Classic thread and it ruled out Canadian based teams from the event.
vs Toronto at Michigan Stadium would be amazing if possible

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:09 AM
ProPAIN
Be realgud!

It's a great atmosphere and exciting for the crowd, but for a normal TV viewer it can get kind of boring. The last two weren't that great anyway. And the home team doesn't seem to have that much of a "home ice" advantage a part from the crowd who are miles away.

I think Detroit could host it as early as next year. I doubt the Islanders get a WC (come on now) and Rangers are involved this year. So New York will probably get it in 2013-2014. And it hasn't come to the Western conference since Detroit-Chicago.

It won't be Toronto though. The WC is to promote American teams on NBC, but it could happen. Maybe Pittsburgh again. Or a team from California?

If they do host it, I just might visit for my first ever live NHL game

And we might get 24/7 too.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:32 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I was at both the Winter Classic at Wrigley and The Big Chill at Michigan Stadium. Both were great. I would prefer the Wings outdoor game be at Comerica, just to experience a new venue. As a UM alum, I certainly won't complain about another game at the Big House though.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

I could definitely see Detroit - San Jose working.

I'd love Detroit - Toronto though, I love when Toronto fans came to the Joe and there are dueling Lets Go Red Wings and Go Leafs Go chants. NBC really are jerks if they refuse to have a Canadian team, I can understand not wanting an all Canadian matchup but flat out refusing to have even one seems pathetic to me.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:35 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Michigan Stadium would be cool due to the insane amount of people. If there's anyone here that went to the college game; can you actually see the puck, though?
Depends where you sit. I was in the 4th row at center ice and could see ~80% of the ice surface. Enough to enjoy the actual hockey game portion of the experience If you sit higher up, you'll see even more of the ice surface, and at some point all of it.

Old
12-01-2011, 03:40 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Hope they actually sell it out and don't pretend and give phony numbers like when MSU and U of M played there last year.
I don't think they gave phony numbers. The Guinness Book miscounted initially. And then miscounted again. The number they settled on was still less than what UM announced, but that was because they didn't count several groups of spectators that UM did. Something about actual tickets vs. press passes and whatnot.

Old
12-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

I might go to the Flyers-Rangers this years just for the experience/atmosphere.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post

This won't help you at all. The NHL divvies up the tickets, and it has nothing to do with the host venue. They'd pay U of M some arena usage fee. So Wings STH's will get the first shot, then some number of tix are reserved for the visitors, and the NHL hands out the rest to (probably) sponsors and persons of interest, with some reserved for general sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
vs Toronto at Michigan Stadium would be amazing if possible
I'd go to an outdoor game involving the Wings at Mich Stadium, but probably wouldn't bother with Comerica. I guess I like the appeal of the Big House + NHL tandem personally. Comerica doesn't really have much going for it as far as hype/promotion potential, imo.

The Sharks were mentioned as one option, which would be a good way of working in a West Coast team. I would LOVE to see a Wings-Leafs tilt though. The buzz would be incredible. It's kind of silly to exclude Canadian teams, especially a Toronto which in sports tends to be considered as an American city (MLB, NBA). If the NFL were to ever expand, I could see them wanting a team in TO.

Edit: Comerica capacity is 41K vs 110K+ at U of M. That's fairly significant, and in Michigan, they could sell out Michigan Stadium for a Wings Winter Classic.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

Since we've seen Wings-Blackhawks, Wings-Leafs would be my choice...maybe Wings-Blues. They could pack the Big House for the Big Chill but I'd imagine Comerica Park would be the natural choice considering Ilitch owns the Tigers and the game would stay in downtown Detroit. You can still get 45,000 or so at that venue no problem. Ford Field would offer more seats but obviously it won't be outside.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

I think it'll be either Wings-Hawks again or Wings-Pens. They won't put a Canadian team in it. And the Sharks and Blues aint the draws Bettman is looking for.

I think somewhere down the line the Wild should host one, perfect fit and it changes it up a lil bit.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:28 AM
CorbeauNoir

If they're going to bring in a new team and Toronto is completely out of the question I'd rather see it be the Avs than the Sharks. At least there's a little bit of actual history there.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
ZetterBurger

Ilitch wants it at Comerica. He makes sooo much more money if it is downtown. Big house would be sweet due to the attendance though.

Matchup prediction:

vs

Just picture the alumni game...

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:57 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
I've never been to a Winter Classic, but I don't see how having it at a baseball park could be a good idea. The seating and sight-lines can't be that good.

The Big House would be a better location in my opinion, but I doubt Ilitch is going to let that happen.

As far as the teams, I think it depends on how the conferences work out. If we're still in the same conference as the Blackhawks, I hope it's against them. If not, then it should be against the Leafs.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:19 PM
DRWCountryClub

Detroit San Jose would probably make for the best game, other than the Leafs.

How would Buffalo draw ratings wise? Wings - Sabres could be good.

I also don't see how leaving out a team like SJ makes sense if they are trying to get fans. Having a team from California whether it's the Sharks/Ducks/Kings would be good exposure for that market, instead of just using the Atlantic division teams over and over.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Wingdings
game face

I also think DET-SJ would be pretty cool if they don't do DET-TOR.

Never been to a Winter Classic game either, but would love to.

Wingdings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:26 PM
DRWCountryClub

I'd definitely be driving down from the GTA to see the WC.

Wonder what the jersey would be?

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
If they're going to bring in a new team and Toronto is completely out of the question I'd rather see it be the Avs than the Sharks. At least there's a little bit of actual history there.
I think you're one of the few that still thinks of the Avs in some rivalry sense vis-a-vis the Wings. Wings-Sharks games today are much more entertaining. I don't know if many outside of these two markets would even remember there was some history these days, new NHL and all....

I definitely want the league to move out of the Atlantic Division. It's starting to feel too recycled. Not to mention that I don't like most of the teams in that division anyway.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:59 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I think it'll be either Wings-Hawks again or Wings-Pens. They won't put a Canadian team in it. And the Sharks and Blues aint the draws Bettman is looking for.

I think somewhere down the line the Wild should host one, perfect fit and it changes it up a lil bit.
the wild are one of the last teams that should ever get a national tv game like that. their defense only system makes for some of the most boring hockey on the planet. there's a reason why minnesota has rarely even gotten a game on versus in the regular season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
I'd definitely be driving down from the GTA to see the WC.

Wonder what the jersey would be?
hopefully the wings jersey is better than the last one. i know i'm in the minority but i did not like the wings winter classic jersey one bit

chances14 is online now   Reply With Quote