HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is wrong with Brassard?

Old
12-02-2011, 12:35 AM
knucklepuck28

vCash: 500
It's Scott Arniel, this is the worst coaching I've ever seen. It's not Brassard, he hasn't been good but nobody has! If only Sanford would stop playing so well and saving Arniel's a** we might be able to get a competent coach in here to do something!

knucklepuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:39 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklepuck28 View Post
It's Scott Arniel, this is the worst coaching I've ever seen. It's not Brassard, he hasn't been good but nobody has! If only Sanford would stop playing so well and saving Arniel's a** we might be able to get a competent coach in here to do something!
And did you think we played bad for our goalie (Mason)? That other teams have support we not? And psyche of our team went down? That Mrs. Brassard played in the first line with Nash when Carter was injured and what did he show?

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:49 AM
The Toaster

So is Walsh's comment a way to get him traded because he is GMSH's "squeaky wheel," or because being on headlines can get other teams to notice him? ...or both?

The Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Yeah I think someone would take him at 1.6 per.
He's only valued at 1.6M on recall waivers.

12-02-2011, 12:52 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
OUCH. *lifting a glass of white wine up to toast Brass* I think our little Prince of Center is pissy.

I won't get into a debate over Brass and his level of talent but one thing is for sure....when a man is pissed he's more likely to tell the truth. The shame of it is, if he would have shown this much passion on the ice...

It's all about the passion. Or lack of it.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:44 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

I'm a big fan of the kid, but wow, this is sort of unexpected. it's nearly 2am, so I'm sure this is going to ramble, but hear me out on my theory of what's going on with Brass.

Brassard looked very bad in the preseason. Even when the younger guys looked good, skating hard and finishing plays, Brassard looked very sloppy. You have to wonder if he showed up to camp ready to go or if he already had kind of a bad attitude (Carter being brought in, his buddies Commie and Voracek shippped out).

I know everyone keys on the big money guys, especially Nash, but does it occur to anyone else that the comments from people like Prospal about losing and practice habits are just as likely directed at the young core guys too? I don't mean guys like Johansen and Calvert. I mean those guys that came up around the mid 2000s just before Howson got here, or as Howson got here.

Now, what follows is is not solely my idea...I've a good understanding of how a veteran player sees this group after coming in for a season, and points he made about a certain group of players seem to be making more and more sense as this season develops.

Brassard (and others) have been handed ice time and time on the PP for three years. He's never really actually earned it. Guys like Russell, Mason and Brassard were put in positions they really never had to earn. There's a strong sense of entitlement among this core group of young players. That's the problem with "veteran" youth on this team. I don't doubt for a second that it was a lack of willingness to work from this group of guys that led to the 2009-10 debacle and Hitch's firing. I think management has decided to not give into these guys, and in fact, is trending towards jettisoning each of them out of the org entirely.

If you think about it, Howson's dismantled quite a bit of this group already and it would seem to me that the team tends to look better and better as they shed these guys. Things also seem to work better when Arniel isn't forcing them into the lineup because of their 'pedigree'. Folks who've responded well to the competition for ice time, yet have no pedigree, have been rewarded with ice time in key situations and have done rather well. Boll, MacKenzie, Dorsett...all certainly not skill guys, but I don't know that anyone could argue that these guys aren't better hockey players under Arniel.

Guys like Filatov, Brassard, Russell, never really have seized their opportunity and they've had it easy for so long, they're in no position to fight for it, so out they go, or to the bench they go. If Brassard really wants to do something about it, he should start with working his ass off and making it impossible to sit him. As of now, when he does get the odd start, he's invisible. The thing is, this year, there was more competition for spots than there has been on this club in a long time. Guys need to respond or sit. Clearly, Brassard is unable to respond given that we're playing guys like Dorse, Boll, MacKenzie, Bass instead of him. Perhaps some of it is that he just isn't put in a position to succeed when given a 3rd/4th line role but frankly, there's no one I can see him replacing in the top 9. Shoot, there are guys in Springfield who have more game than Brassard right now (Atkinson, St Pierre, Mayorov to name 3).

I like the kid, and his potential, but maybe he's just one more frat boy who needs to be shown the door, along with some of his peers. For all the hate thrown at the lighting rod wearing the C, I wonder if it's not the head that's rotten, but the 3-4 year player core...and the more Howson blows that up, the better this team has looked, IMO.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes and I certainly don't agree with Brassard whining through his agent, but considering how some of the veterans who struggled just as bad were treated, it's hard to argue with the "singled out" comment.

Anyways, we're seeing/have seen the last of Brassard in Columbus. Arniel was a hardass over Commodore and I see him acting in a similar manner towards Brassard.

Last edited by Samkow: 12-02-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:44 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

What shocked me it is that Brassards agent told it BEFORE the game against Calgary not AFTER. And that he begun to critise Arniel without seeing on Brassard achievments and without knovledges about another players... IMO only Commodore.
When he told it AFTER the game and that his client would like to be traded because he do not see his future here because he does not get a chance... O.K. I would not say anything it is normal, I wish him best in another team. But this? Shame him. How is the difference between "a good boy" Brassard and "a bad boy" Filatov who never told nothing bad about our staff, GM or our club even after his trade, only good.

Btw... it told his agent not Brassard so we cannot say about "pissy" Cougs

Last edited by mt-svk: 12-02-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old
12-02-2011, 03:06 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Guys, as a Wild fan, I'm sorry you have to put up with Walsh.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:23 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
1.6 would be re-entry waivers, if they claimed him on regular waivers they would be responsible for 100% of his contract.
We're on the hook one way or another. Is he on a two way contract? If we are gonna get nothing for him, stick him in Springfield.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:17 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
What shocked me it is that Brassards agent told it BEFORE the game against Calgary not AFTER. And that he begun to critise Arniel without seeing on Brassard achievments and without knovledges about another players... IMO only Commodore.
When he told it AFTER the game and that his client would like to be traded because he do not see his future here because he does not get a chance... O.K. I would not say anything it is normal, I wish him best in another team. But this? Shame him. How is the difference between "a good boy" Brassard and "a bad boy" Filatov who never told nothing bad about our staff, GM or our club even after his trade, only good.

Btw... it told his agent not Brassard so we cannot say about "pissy" Cougs
True, but it was still a pretty strong statement for an agent to make. From that I gather pride has been cast aside and the gloves thrown down. I don't see this ending well.

Old
12-02-2011, 07:37 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
True, but it was still a pretty strong statement for an agent to make. From that I gather pride has been cast aside and the gloves thrown down. I don't see this ending well.
We must be absolutlycorrect but you are right of course.

His agent told stupidities. Only one player was... Commodore. And does somebody claim me that he was HS for Arniel hating? He played awful... Wings fans in SK-CZ board are shocked how he is tragical... btw he is HS in Detroit too... maybe he told us something about Babcock (Commodore of course). Brassard dissapointed me... not because he wanted to leave us.... it is normal... not everybody is content in a team but the way how he told it (respective his agent)... and I do not see any reason why he would play in the first or the secondline on center. What is bad... he is awful on wing. His agent and especially Derick would think about his achievments because if he played good he would be in the roster.

Btw... Arniel supported Mason inspite of his bad achievments and it is mystery for me how he could use Commodore as scapegoat when he did not play.

Next let Brassard explain this "a long history"... because I do not see anything. Brassard is a garbage for me now!

Last edited by mt-svk: 12-02-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old
12-02-2011, 08:16 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
I'm a big fan of the kid, but wow, this is sort of unexpected. it's nearly 2am, so I'm sure this is going to ramble, but hear me out on my theory of what's going on with Brass.

Brassard looked very bad in the preseason. Even when the younger guys looked good, skating hard and finishing plays, Brassard looked very sloppy. You have to wonder if he showed up to camp ready to go or if he already had kind of a bad attitude (Carter being brought in, his buddies Commie and Voracek shippped out).

I know everyone keys on the big money guys, especially Nash, but does it occur to anyone else that the comments from people like Prospal about losing and practice habits are just as likely directed at the young core guys too? I don't mean guys like Johansen and Calvert. I mean those guys that came up around the mid 2000s just before Howson got here, or as Howson got here.

Now, what follows is is not solely my idea...I've a good understanding of how a veteran player sees this group after coming in for a season, and points he made about a certain group of players seem to be making more and more sense as this season develops.

Brassard (and others) have been handed ice time and time on the PP for three years. He's never really actually earned it. Guys like Russell, Mason and Brassard were put in positions they really never had to earn. There's a strong sense of entitlement among this core group of young players. That's the problem with "veteran" youth on this team. I don't doubt for a second that it was a lack of willingness to work from this group of guys that led to the 2009-10 debacle and Hitch's firing. I think management has decided to not give into these guys, and in fact, is trending towards jettisoning each of them out of the org entirely.

If you think about it, Howson's dismantled quite a bit of this group already and it would seem to me that the team tends to look better and better as they shed these guys. Things also seem to work better when Arniel isn't forcing them into the lineup because of their 'pedigree'. Folks who've responded well to the competition for ice time, yet have no pedigree, have been rewarded with ice time in key situations and have done rather well. Boll, MacKenzie, Dorsett...all certainly not skill guys, but I don't know that anyone could argue that these guys aren't better hockey players under Arniel.

Guys like Filatov, Brassard, Russell, never really have seized their opportunity and they've had it easy for so long, they're in no position to fight for it, so out they go, or to the bench they go. If Brassard really wants to do something about it, he should start with working his ass off and making it impossible to sit him. As of now, when he does get the odd start, he's invisible. The thing is, this year, there was more competition for spots than there has been on this club in a long time. Guys need to respond or sit. Clearly, Brassard is unable to respond given that we're playing guys like Dorse, Boll, MacKenzie, Bass instead of him. Perhaps some of it is that he just isn't put in a position to succeed when given a 3rd/4th line role but frankly, there's no one I can see him replacing in the top 9. Shoot, there are guys in Springfield who have more game than Brassard right now (Atkinson, St Pierre, Mayorov to name 3).

I like the kid, and his potential, but maybe he's just one more frat boy who needs to be shown the door, along with some of his peers. For all the hate thrown at the lighting rod wearing the C, I wonder if it's not the head that's rotten, but the 3-4 year player core...and the more Howson blows that up, the better this team has looked, IMO.
We have come from a place where talent was graded more on potential that performance. Brass always benefited from his position of power, even though it wasn't earned. We've always played "favorites", still do. The rules do not apply to all.

Please don't rag on the 4th liners or be led to think that they are somehow less than worthy of praise. That line is the only line that has been consistent.

I actually think most of this is the shift to Arniel's system. Our guys have struggled to make it work in real time situations against teams that find it easy to shut down. Arneil seems hell bent to prove he's right, even if it means allowing players to suffer the indignity of others suddenly questioning their ability.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
We must be absolutlycorrect but you are right of course.

His agent told stupidities. Only one player was... Commodore. And does somebody claim me that he was HS for Arniel hating? He played awful... Wings fans in SK-CZ board are shocked how he is tragical... btw he is HS in Detroit too... maybe he told us something about Babcock (Commodore of course). Brassard dissapointed me... not because he wanted to leave us.... it is normal... not everybody is content in a team but the way how he told it (respective his agent)... and I do not see any reason why he would play in the first or the secondline on center. What is bad... he is awful on wing. His agent and especially Derick would think about his achievments because if he played good he would be in the roster.

Btw... Arniel supported Mason inspite of his bad achievments and it is mystery for me how he could use Commodore as scapegoat when he did not play.

Next let Brassard explain this "a long history"... because I do not see anything. Brassard is a garbage for me now!
I took the comment to be more directed at Arneil's "my way or the highway" attitude. Isn't/wasn't Mike injured in Detroit? Or am I mistaken?

Old
12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Juneemoon

If I may hazard a guess...The Blue Jackets have been shopping Brassard but can't get anything done because they have been asking too much. Walsh has come out publicly and said this to get them to drop their price and take what they can get for him.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:37 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
I took the comment to be more directed at Arneil's "my way or the highway" attitude. Isn't/wasn't Mike injured in Detroit? Or am I mistaken?
He was injured but when he returned he played tragical, slow (I still understand it), bad positonal play, lack of hard play... they are not happy from him on CZ-SK forum and they are shocked Commies words on Arniel because he is really bad... Kindl is better and Smith too. He is HS now.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:38 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
If I may hazard a guess...The Blue Jackets have been shopping Brassard but can't get anything done because they have been asking too much. Walsh has come out publicly and said this to get them to drop their price and take what they can get for him.
Walsh is .... . But IMO the problem not small value but players... the offer them whom we do not need. Probably he wanted the trade sooner and this was reason his lies.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:41 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
He was injured but when he returned he played tragical, slow (I still understand it), bad positonal play, lack of hard play... they are not happy from him on CZ-SK forum and they are shocked Commies words on Arniel because he is really bad... Kindl is better and Smith too. He is HS now.
I'm not really up to date on my hockey gossip. What exactly is Commodore saying about Arniel?

Old
12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Please don't rag on the 4th liners or be led to think that they are somehow less than worthy of praise. That line is the only line that has been consistent.
not ragging! I appreciate each one of those guys and what they do. DMac is one of my favorites, and although Dorsett isn't my favorite, he's playing very well right now. I wish Boll could stop the whole fighting thing because I think he would be a decent third scoring line winger if he could go 10 games without busted up hands.

I think guys like these guys responded well to the increased competition. Boll and Dorsett particularly understand their spot is easily replaced, and it's fun to watch them compete for ice time instead of whining about it through some mouthpiece.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:55 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I think this is a very sharp analysis, wooten. It's hard to judge how accurate you are, but I think you've checked all the boxes, nicely.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:02 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
not ragging! I appreciate each one of those guys and what they do. DMac is one of my favorites, and although Dorsett isn't my favorite, he's playing very well right now. I wish Boll could stop the whole fighting thing because I think he would be a decent third scoring line winger if he could go 10 games without busted up hands.

I think guys like these guys responded well to the increased competition. Boll and Dorsett particularly understand their spot is easily replaced, and it's fun to watch them compete for ice time instead of whining about it through some mouthpiece.
Ok. LOL I just hate that whole "not in a position to score" because someone is on a line that isn't labeled first or second. The 3rd and 4th lines see less TOI. That's the only difference and to be honest, I'm more impressed when a player can force, or the new word "manufacture", a scoring opportunity with less TOI.

Old
12-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Arch City Zach

Hey, Vermette is lighting it up on a 3rd line.

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:16 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Twas a nice shot straight at Arniel that put Howson in a position where he had to respond. We all know I am not a fan of Brassard, but there is little reason to bench him to the level we are seeing now.

This is how you destroy any relationship with the player and give your team almost no leverage in any attempts at a trade.

In other words, Arniel is a moron and if Howson supports it he is a moron as well.

From where I am sitting, the treatment of Commie wasn't very warranted (to the level we took it) and the Brassard treatment is just poor form.

Arniel has taken over the lead from Howson in my "We need to fire his sorry ass" competition.

As for Brass's agent. Good for him. The damage has already been done and bridges were already burnt before this. I have no idea if this is going to work out for him or his client, but it will deflect some of the attention from his client and onto the coach and front office. It's a polarizing statement and it got Howson to respond.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:26 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Whether you agree with his tactical decisions or not, one thing I do think Scott Arniel has a handle on is what it takes to be a professional hockey player.

The guy played 730 NHL games over 11 seasons. Then he continued his career in the AHL/IHL for 8 more years. I'm pretty sure he would have a good handle on who is "working hard" or not; on who has "bad habits" away from the rink since he has probably seen it all before during his playing career.

If even part of the Commordore / Voracek (and Brassard?) rumors from last season are true, I'm not surprised that there was a rift of epic proportions between Arniel and Commodore. Older guys on the team should be good examples of professional behavior - mentors not enablers.

What does go on off the rink? Brass hasn't proven anything on the rink this season. My guess is that Arniel has a clear memory of last year and if Brass didn't come in ready to go he was going to be on a short leash.

Vermette has been playing better since the arrival of Letestu, was that the kick in the pants Vermette needed? Umberger has been looking better (not great, but better).

Huselius coming back doesn't help Brassard at all, it just makes it worse. Bass will probably get sent down, or we'll need to "lose" a forward.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:41 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Twas a nice shot straight at Arniel that put Howson in a position where he had to respond. We all know I am not a fan of Brassard, but there is little reason to bench him to the level we are seeing now.

This is how you destroy any relationship with the player and give your team almost no leverage in any attempts at a trade.

In other words, Arniel is a moron and if Howson supports it he is a moron as well.

From where I am sitting, the treatment of Commie wasn't very warranted (to the level we took it) and the Brassard treatment is just poor form.

Arniel has taken over the lead from Howson in my "We need to fire his sorry ass" competition.

As for Brass's agent. Good for him. The damage has already been done and bridges were already burnt before this. I have no idea if this is going to work out for him or his client, but it will deflect some of the attention from his client and onto the coach and front office. It's a polarizing statement and it got Howson to respond.
I agree. *Lifts the wine glass to Blah* But then again, I cling to this notion that hockey is all about honor and am quite uncomfortable with the lack of it we now demonstrate on any given day with this loosely labeled leadership we currently have.

Bring up the next sacrificial lamb....