HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

What is wrong with Brassard?

Old
12-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Socks
HeadFake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Played far worse? No chance. Vermette played well? No. But Brass is no where in his league (which is saying something).
Personally I haven't seen Brass looking nearly as lost on the ice as Vermy was earlier on. Agree to disagree I guess.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:35 PM
optionthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
He probably misses his old glasses.
: laugh:

optionthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
SNIP...I know everyone keys on the big money guys, especially Nash, but does it occur to anyone else that the comments from people like Prospal about losing and practice habits are just as likely directed at the young core guys too? I don't mean guys like Johansen and Calvert. I mean those guys that came up around the mid 2000s just before Howson got here, or as Howson got here.
Good post, Wooten. When I first heard the Prospal 'country club' comments, the first person that popped into my mind was Brassard, not Nash. I have no insider info on it, but for some reason I had the impression watching camp that he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder that the Jackets were touting they had "finally got a #1 center that could keep up with Nash".

We may never know the dynamics of this dressing room over the last 2 years, but I have a strong suspicion that you hit the nail on the head.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:43 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I can only comment on my opinion of what should be intent. The desire is that the AHL staff develops players to be NHL ready. The coaches then take over their career and mold them into their roles and provide an environment for success. It's up to the players to compete and embrace their role(s).

We've had failures along the way at every step. One thing that is not acceptable, from a player perspective, is not competing. One thing that isn't acceptable from the front office down to the coaching staff is putting players in roles they are either not ready for or not capable of performing successfully for long stretches.

This is part of the reason that the individual failures of Dorse don't bother me as much as it does others. He competes and contrary to those that think otherwise, there are roles he can play at this level with varying degrees of success. Give me the stupid penalty every once in a while over a guy like Brass.

I think once you separate responsibilities and evaluate the players and their situations, it starts to become clear that, in most cases, where the ultimate failure(s) are. You can't further develop player(s) if they don't compete. They will reach a ceiling quickly and won't go much beyond that. Ultimately this is what did Zherdev in. He reached his ceiling and couldn't break through to another level. Once it became apparent he couldn't be counted on to compete on a regular basis, he became the odd man out.

Ultimately that's what bothers me the most about Calvert this year, something happened to his compete level.
I got a chance to glance over this before I took off to save the world this morning. Interesting thoughts. I don't disagree.

Let's go a little deeper. How many players were considered fringe type or mediocre while here went on to enjoy success on other teams? With the exception of Nikky Z, whom I did enjoy watching, how many of those guys were later developed by others? If someone leaves here and is a bust, then ok, fluke of nature. But it is not unusual to see players who were floundering here go on to benefit somewhere else. I guess that is my biggest gripe. It's hard to dismiss performance when it happens for someone else.

Coaching is a big part of the dynamic. Do we have someone who can sell his team on his system? They have to buy into it before putting in sweat equity to make it work. Have they tried it and then later determined that the Coach/System is full of crap?

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:48 PM
CBJCougar

I get what Eva is saying. It's not that she's necessarily harping on the Filatov thing on the surface. I think she's disgusted with the blatant and continuous two faced leadership. How many times have we heard someone has to earn it but then we see certain players given carte blanche? I know it chips away at credibility in my eyes. I can only imagine how hard it is to get the player's respect and keep them in line if you can't get my respect!

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:00 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
I get what Eva is saying. It's not that she's necessarily harping on the Filatov thing on the surface. I think she's disgusted with the blatant and continuous two faced leadership. How many times have we heard someone has to earn it but then we see certain players given carte blanche? I know it chips away at credibility in my eyes. I can only imagine how hard it is to get the player's respect and keep them in line if you can't get my respect!
I imagine off-ice issues play a part as well.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Let's go a little deeper. How many players were considered fringe type or mediocre while here went on to enjoy success on other teams? With the exception of Nikky Z, whom I did enjoy watching, how many of those guys were later developed by others? If someone leaves here and is a bust, then ok, fluke of nature. But it is not unusual to see players who were floundering here go on to benefit somewhere else. I guess that is my biggest gripe. It's hard to dismiss performance when it happens for someone else.
Glencross and Frank the Bushman. Who else?

Old
12-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Doyle

Gauging the Trade Value of Derick Brassard

On Thursday night, controversial hockey agent Allan Walsh went to bat for one of his underutilized clients. In the past, Walsh scrutinized the Minnesota Wild for their sparse use of Petr Sykora, and did the same when Martin Havlat skated on the team’s second line with limited power play time. He also publicly displayed his anger over the Tampa Bay Lightning and their treatment of Stephane Veilleux. In this situation, the only difference was the client: Derick Brassard.

In part of his rant, Walsh went as far as to pit a conspiracy theory on the Columbus Blue Jackets organization. “Derick has been singled out, almost from the very beginning of the season, to be the fall guy in case things don’t go well,” Walsh opined over Twitter. “The Columbus organization cares about Derick and has been good to him, but at some point, one has to say, enough is enough.”

While the jilted agent later deflected his missives to indicate Brassard does not want a trade, the words have been said and the relationship between player and team may never be the same.

Read More: http://nhlhotstove.com/gauging-the-t...rick-brassard/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:49 AM
99 CBJ

I'm with Walsh, Arniel needs to go. Brass sits while Boll and Bass play, no way are they better, Bass was suppose to be a fighter but where has he been while Boll has be getting his a$$ handed to him. Did the team set him down and talk to him after that little outburst on the bench last week and he fell in line with the rest of the country club.

99 CBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Cyclones Rock

Brassard and his agent really ought to get a grip on reality.

If one tosses out his abbreviated 08-09 season, Brassard has 89 points in 188 games. This works out to a whopping 39 points per 82 games. These are numbers one would expect from a player who is either spectacular defensively or adds a definitive physical element to his game. Brassard does niether.

He is a borderline wash out 6th overall pick. He has been given every opportunity to show his abilities (ample PP time) and has not performed. While Arniel has his shortcomings, benching a one dimensional underachiever like Brassard is not one of them.

Let his agent whine like a hyena. Until Brassard earns his way back into the line up through hard work in practice, let him rot in the press box. His (to date) failed career (as a 6th overall pick) is not the fault of the CBJs or Arniel, notwithstanding his agent's pitiful blathering.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:06 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 CBJ View Post
I'm with Walsh, Arniel needs to go. Brass sits while Boll and Bass play, no way are they better, Bass was suppose to be a fighter but where has he been while Boll has be getting his a$$ handed to him. Did the team set him down and talk to him after that little outburst on the bench last week and he fell in line with the rest of the country club.
Brassards agent lies about Arniel and you are with him (his agent)? He said it during an important trip and you are with him? Are you mad? It is not about whether Arniel isgood or bad but the way how he said this. I am shocked.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:57 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 CBJ View Post
Bass and Boll both give the team SOMETHING on the ice... Brass, seemingly, doesn't give them anything when he's out there and playing him for the sake of playing him (on the fourth line) doesn't help him or the team.... He's already proven that trying to motivate him to play better isn't working.....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:30 AM
CBJfan4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Bass and Boll both give the team SOMETHING on the ice... Brass, seemingly, doesn't give them anything when he's out there and playing him for the sake of playing him (on the fourth line) doesn't help him or the team.... He's already proven that trying to motivate him to play better isn't working.....
. The problem here is not specifically Brassard. The real issue is that the organization from the beginning has drafted poorly. Part of this has been due to bad luck (drafting position, when we entered the league, etc). Drafting is a very inexact science. See Jaclj's series of article last year over on ten minute misconduct. That being said Cbj have not been able to have the no-brainer picks dumped in their lap. All this suffering should be rewarded (look at Edmonton). In our case the gm is trying to cover up these failures by buying pieces to a puzzle. Problem is that this is just what he's got, a bunch of pieces. So what are let with? A bunch of middling young players who are overmatched most nights, veterans who were successful pieces of real teams, and guys who were never expected to be 1st or 2nd pair contributors (Mckenzie, Dorsett, Boll). At the end of the day this situation is hard to rectify because folks don't want to pay top dollar for our draft failures (Klesla, Picard, Brule, Zherdev, Brassard, Leclaire,etc). The jury is still out on Moore and Johansen and possibly Vorachek. The only real success is Nash. So let's not be to harsh on Brassard, he is what he is and that's not a 1 pick. If you want to blame anyone, blame the organization by placing your tickets in the bonfire with the rest of the money they've thrown away this season.

CBJfan4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Regardless of who is at fault in the dispute between Brass and Arniel, the organization can't afford to have a Commie/Filatov situation with Brass. If he's to be gone, we need some assets back - no more buy-outs or trades of former first-rounders for third round picks!

16 minutes of ice last night. I think this Arniel sucking up his pride and trying to have Brass increase his trade value so Howson can pull the trigger as soon as someone is willing to pay a fair price. The trade needs to be done. Now if only Brass can fulfill his end of the bargain to expedite the process.

Old
12-03-2011, 09:56 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Regardless of who is at fault in the dispute between Brass and Arniel, the organization can't afford to have a Commie/Filatov situation with Brass. If he's to be gone, we need some assets back - no more buy-outs or trades of former first-rounders for third round picks!

16 minutes of ice last night. I think this Arniel sucking up his pride and trying to have Brass increase his trade value so Howson can pull the trigger as soon as someone is willing to pay a fair price. The trade needs to be done. Now if only Brass can fulfill his end of the bargain to expedite the process.
Brass was in the game because Carter was out. I don't think Arniel was swallowing anything. Brass was the only option, otherwise he would have been in the box again. I saw nothing out of Brass last night that changed my opinion of him. OK skill set with an entitlement problem. He is also known as somewhat of a jerk from people who work in the Arena District. I think he is a prima donna party boy and Arniel doesn't like those.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011

Last edited by fox2usp: 12-03-2011 at 11:36 AM.
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
Brass was in the game because Carter was out. I don't think Arniel was swallowing anything. Brass was the only option, otherwise he would have been in the box again. I saw nothing out of Brass last night that changed my opinion of him. OK skill set with an entitlement problem. He is also known as somewhat of a ***** from people who work in the Arena District. I think he is a prima donna party boy and Arniel doesn't like those.
Huselius filled Carter's spot in the top 6. It's been between Bass and Brass for a bottom 6 spot, and Arniel chose to go back to Brass last night.

As for your comments on Brassard's play, I don't disagree.

Old
12-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
He is also known as somewhat of a ***** from people who work in the Arena District. I think he is a prima donna party boy and Arniel doesn't like those.
Sounds like Voracek.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Monk

Maybe Carter can teach him how to party and be good at hockey at the same time.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:16 AM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

Can somebody get Brass a Mojito already?

HoldFast13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:33 AM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Sounds like Voracek.
I've met him, informally, a few times around the Arena District, and "primadonna" couldn't be farther from the truth.
Hell, one time he spent five or ten minutes watching me weld something because he thought it was cool, and even asked if he could give it a try!

Old
12-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
I've met him, informally, a few times around the Arena District, and "primadonna" couldn't be farther from the truth.
Hell, one time he spent five or ten minutes watching me weld something because he thought it was cool, and even asked if he could give it a try!
Are you referring to Brassard or Voracek?

Old
12-03-2011, 12:02 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Are you referring to Brassard or Voracek?
Voracek. I've never talked to Brassard.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
Voracek. I've never talked to Brassard.
Makes sense, I could see Voracek doing that.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:39 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Brass was in the game because Carter was out. I don't think Arniel was swallowing anything. Brass was the only option, otherwise he would have been in the box again. I saw nothing out of Brass last night that changed my opinion of him. OK skill set with an entitlement problem. He is also known as somewhat of a jerk from people who work in the Arena District. I think he is a prima donna party boy and Arniel doesn't like those.
I agree. Arniel's been saying for some time that he would alternate Brass and Bass depending on the opponent. Skilled opponents get Brass, tougher opponents get Bass. Just a coincidence that it was after the d-bag agent's comments.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:43 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Sounds like Voracek.
disagree strongly.

Jake is a *very* nice person, typical of most hockey players. he's always been accommodating and pleasant. Brass doesn't strike me as the same kind of guy, but I've had far less interactions with him over the years.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote