HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regular Season Non-Caps Thread (II)

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
I was lucky enough to catch the Devils at lightning game at the St, Pete Times Forum tonight in about the 12th row. It was my first non-Caps NHL game, and it was weird, from the music to the goal horn to the quiet crowd. Fun though.

Also, if tonight was any indication of the state of the D in Tampa, they're done.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
The man has no filter. It's glorious.
Agreed, its great.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:45 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I was lucky enough to catch the Devils at lightning game at the St, Pete Times Forum tonight in about the 12th row. It was my first non-Caps NHL game, and it was weird, from the music to the goal horn to the quiet crowd. Fun though.

Also, if tonight was any indication of the state of the D in Tampa, they're done.
I thought I saw something on twitter about Ohlund being out the rest of the year... that would be a train wreck for them. Combine that with Kubina rapid decline in foot speed and overall game yikes. Probably doesn't help that Yzerman dumpster shopped with Bergeron, Gilroy and Gervais. They have so many defense men that look like there skating in quick sand.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Filatov leaving. Bit late on that but man, all that talent.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:54 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Filatov leaving. Bit late on that but man, all that talent.
The talent showed his first year in CLB since then I didn't really see much at all. Definitely 4 or 5 factors in his career being a failure though.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:58 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Pretty funny seeing some pressure start to mount on Boucher after all the genius accolades from last year.

12-13-2011, 12:10 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Pretty funny seeing some pressure start to mount on Boucher after all the genius accolades from last year.
Yes taking some pleasure on that.

12-13-2011, 12:14 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
His gimmick ran its course in the league. Now he'll actually have to coach or get fired.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:09 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
It was obvious to me that Terry was the quieter of the brothers from his time here in Washington. Sitting behind the bench, I am not even sure I ever saw signs of emotion from him. I am not surprised May didnt like him. I am not sure Terry ever incurred a fighting major in his career. But good hockey coaches come and go, its the nature of the business.

I am not sure anyone hash tagged Boucher a genius, I think that is an exaggeration, not uncommon with posters exaggeraging about Bruce's deficiencies to make their point. Boucher played defensive hockey, burned into the DNA of many in this town from former regimes; hardly genius material, indeed closer to gimmicky. But even if Boucher can't right the ship and falls flat on his scar, its the nature of hockey coaching. Learn it. Coaches with a talented lineup are often hot out of the gate, the true test is how do they do when the star studded lineup is not carrying them anymore. Bag skate and lose the team, or....

Old
12-13-2011, 10:14 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I'll never forget the awesome sign a kid had at the Capital Centre on the day Terry started,

"Mom, I have some good news and some bad news"

Old
12-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
They now have a lower points percentage than the Islanders. Your move, Yzerman. (I'd put more responsibility on him than Boucher...)

Old
12-13-2011, 10:58 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Bottom five points/game:

30. Columbus
29. Carolina
28. Anaheim
27. Tampa
26. NYI

Washington is 15th (7th in the east) and Colorado is 25th.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I think Boucher is a very good coach, all the *****ing about the 1-3-1 aside. This is on Yzerman, in my opinion. I don't know if he expected Boucher's system to cover for the horrible defensive personnel or what.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:05 AM
txpd

interesting listening to milbury and jonesie last night laying it on boucher. maybe it should be on yzerman for hiring boucher?
there are coaches that run their course pretty quickly and boucher might be one of those. i dont know.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:41 AM
IafrateOvie34

Sure, Tampa wants Yakupov too. This makes their success last year more annoying. If Colorado doesn't make it in the lowest 3 teams for the draft, I sure hope Tampa, Carolina, NYI get that pick.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:41 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Interesting to see that the Yzerman acolytes are nowhere to be found now. I thought he was some sort of spectacular GM?

Old
12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It was obvious to me that Terry was the quieter of the brothers from his time here in Washington. Sitting behind the bench, I am not even sure I ever saw signs of emotion from him. I am not surprised May didnt like him. I am not sure Terry ever incurred a fighting major in his career. But good hockey coaches come and go, its the nature of the business.

I am not sure anyone hash tagged Boucher a genius, I think that is an exaggeration, not uncommon with posters exaggeraging about Bruce's deficiencies to make their point. Boucher played defensive hockey, burned into the DNA of many in this town from former regimes; hardly genius material, indeed closer to gimmicky. But even if Boucher can't right the ship and falls flat on his scar, its the nature of hockey coaching. Learn it. Coaches with a talented lineup are often hot out of the gate, the true test is how do they do when the star studded lineup is not carrying them anymore. Bag skate and lose the team, or....
Terry Murray wasn't terrible with us. I just remember him as the first Washington coach to blow a 3-1 series lead to the Pens. I sincerely believe we would have won the Stanley Cup in 92 had we beat the Pens. Maybe that is why Alan May is angry too.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:46 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
I'll never forget the awesome sign a kid had at the Capital Centre on the day Terry started,

"Mom, I have some good news and some bad news"

I didnt like the hire much but after sooo many years of Bryan Murray, I figured what the heck. He looks poised and stoic behind the bench, probably detail oriented heh. As it turned out, I could have made up a sign after yet another playoff failure "That was not new blood, David."

But yep NBTW, the guy that received praise was indeed Yzerman. I find it hard to find fault in anything he did, speaking as a Caps fan, since the team he put together spanked us in 4 straight. I had argued with someone about the old man pickup. Some here laughed, but he held his ground and won 4 straight on us when it counted. We are still licking our wounds from that series.

So he is up on George 1 zip, so some here could be eating at least a crow appetizer for the rookie Yzerman showing the vet George a thing or 2. Let's not count out Yzerman; its only December, and he has yet to pull any stunts, presumably still accessing his team.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:54 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Well Yzerman did sign Miettinen. Pity he had to come through waivers to come over and got claimed by the Jets :-D

Old
12-13-2011, 01:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The Caps rolled over for the Lightning, and Roloson wasn't even close the to reason for it.

The two biggest reasons the Caps lost (from a Tampa perspective): St. Louis and Lecavalier.

Yzerman had absolutely nothing to do with acquiring those two.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:03 PM
tycoonheart

The reason we lost was because this team attacked Boucher's 1-3-1 the same way they attacked in the regular season and Boucher and his team was ready for that. We were outcoached, plain and simple. Offensively, we couldn't get anything going. And we fell prey to what they wanted us to do.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:

I wouldn't be so quick to count Tampa out yet. They had this same problem during the first half of last year. If they can trade for a goalie again they can easily get hot. I mean heck we lost 8 straight games last year and still ended up as the number 1 seed in the East. It's a long season.

My biggest fear right now is with Marty possibly on the trade block if Stevie Y could pull off a caper. As unlikely as it might be the possibility is still there.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The Caps rolled over for the Lightning, and Roloson wasn't even close the to reason for it.

The two biggest reasons the Caps lost (from a Tampa perspective): St. Louis and Lecavalier.

Yzerman had absolutely nothing to do with acquiring those two.

Ehhhh i'd lean more toward St. Louis and the 1-3-1.

Boudreau had absolutely no clue how to break the 1-3-1

Old
12-13-2011, 02:29 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to count Tampa out yet. They had this same problem during the first half of last year. If they can trade for a goalie again they can easily get hot. I mean heck we lost 8 straight games last year and still ended up as the number 1 seed in the East. It's a long season.

My biggest fear right now is with Marty possibly on the trade block if Stevie Y could pull off a caper. As unlikely as it might be the possibility is still there.
If Marty's on the block, he's a guy that would have to get consideration from McPhee. A veteran cup winner who would fit on the 2nd line. Yes, please.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

I didnt like the hire much but after sooo many years of Bryan Murray, I figured what the heck. He looks poised and stoic behind the bench, probably detail oriented heh. As it turned out, I could have made up a sign after yet another playoff failure "That was not new blood, David."

But yep NBTW, the guy that received praise was indeed Yzerman. I find it hard to find fault in anything he did, speaking as a Caps fan, since the team he put together spanked us in 4 straight. I had argued with someone about the old man pickup. Some here laughed, but he held his ground and won 4 straight on us when it counted. We are still licking our wounds from that series.

So he is up on George 1 zip, so some here could be eating at least a crow appetizer for the rookie Yzerman showing the vet George a thing or 2. Let's not count out Yzerman; its only December, and he has yet to pull any stunts, presumably still accessing his team.
I was one of the people who thought that Roloson would break down and not amount to much for the Bolts. He played much better than I thought he would, but I wouldn't say he was the reason they swept the Caps. I'd say that poor coaching + their grinders scoring a number of goals where I don't think they were actually shooting the puck were bigger factors than Roly's play.

Closed Thread