HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regular Season Non-Caps Thread (II)

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2011, 07:16 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Guaranteed contracts = why push it

Old
12-15-2011, 11:28 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

There are a couple concussion-related videos up on NHL.com... a lot of back-patting for a league that has so many players sidelined with concussions. It's up to 1 per team now.

On a funny note, the guy said, in relation to concussions, "Let's be precautious".

Old
12-16-2011, 12:26 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Nice comeback by sj. But man did col d crap the bed.

Edit: and a 3pt game in tb-Calgary works too!

Old
12-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Adrian Dater | Varlamov brings his sieve game for third period

Adrian Dater | Avs give classic "we don't know how to play a full 60 performance" Varlamov was awful when team needed him

Old
12-16-2011, 01:44 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Tool

Old
12-16-2011, 10:46 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

This pronger concussion, ex human tragedy aspect, could be a blessing for philly's cap I think. If he feels hes done and values his quality of life over hockey, Instead of him retiring, ltir him til contract over. They'll lose the ability to accumulate cap space but beats losing it all together.

Old
12-16-2011, 11:15 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Guaranteed contracts = why push it
Right. Tony Twist actually concurred with this on NHL on the fly. I'm kinda torn on this whole concussion issue. I mean these players get paid megabucks and part of the reason is b/c they put their bodies (and minds) thru danger/violence.

I just fear becoming hyper sensitive to these things. But I speak from my POV and I don't believe I've ever had a concussion before.

Troy Aikman had a million of them but he doesn't come across like he had long term ill effects from them for example.

I just don't like guaranteed contracts and I'm biased here b/c of that.

Old
12-16-2011, 11:46 AM
txpd

i dont think an outsider can have much of an idea of the long term effects of concussions. all we know about aikman is that he doesnt slur his words on tv.

roger staubach had to quit because of concussions. for a player like him to have to quit has to signal a severe issue.

as to the guaranteed contract. whats the value of a contract that has commitments that only go one way?

Old
12-16-2011, 11:54 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i dont think an outsider can have much of an idea of the long term effects of concussions. all we know about aikman is that he doesnt slur his words on tv.

roger staubach had to quit because of concussions. for a player like him to have to quit has to signal a severe issue.

as to the guaranteed contract. whats the value of a contract that has commitments that only go one way?
The disparity of concussion "severity" between the NHL and NFL is mind boggling. Its something that has to be examined.

RE: guaranteed contracts: all I know is that I wish I had one at work!! As it stands they can ace me tomorrow and I wouldn't see a cent more from them.

But really the amount of concussions to critical players is highly alarming and I hope they don't make knee jerk Barry Melrose type decisions where he wants players suspended for unintentional hits to the head. May as well play non contact hockey or two hand touch football and even then there will be concussions (see Girioux).

No easy answer thats for sure.

Old
12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I view the guarantee more as an insurance thing/deferred bonus. If contracts weren't guaranteed they'd have to follow nfl model. But I don't think the owners/NHL brass care enough about it. They got heir cost certainty.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:04 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I view the guarantee more as an insurance thing/deferred bonus. If contracts weren't guaranteed they'd have to follow nfl model. But I don't think the owners/NHL brass care enough about it. They got heir cost certainty.
True but I think the NFL model works better than MLB/NHL/NBA personally. It has to be part of the reason of why the NFL is so successful. They know what they are doing in that sport thats for sure.

NHL is better than NBA/MLB tho.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Capitlols

Mike Milbury assaulted a 12 year old, fire him, please.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/spor...83/detail.html

Old
12-16-2011, 12:13 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post

Versus will fire him. CBC will give him his own show.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:17 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Allegedly assaulted.

Just saying.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:18 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Allegedly assaulted.

Just saying.
It won't matter to Versus, hopefully.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It won't matter to Vs, hopefully.
Agreed.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:23 PM
BobRouse

You mean you guys won't miss classic comments like:

"Crapitals"
"Crosby sayin Who's your daddy to Ovechkin"
"Ovechkin is a dog" after on bad game 2 vs Philly

Then his recent thing with Alan May..

I'm in the minority but I like Milbury since he's a great villian for the Caps and he probably despises them far more now that Hunter is the coach.

I hope they keep him.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:43 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

I would happy to see Milbury go, mostly because I think he's an idiot and a dinosaur. Yeah, allegedly and he's entitled to his due process, but it's tough to imagine the 12 year old started it.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:53 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post

Go get him May! Kick his chara trading butt!!!

Old
12-16-2011, 01:52 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
The disparity of concussion "severity" between the NHL and NFL is mind boggling. Its something that has to be examined.

RE: guaranteed contracts: all I know is that I wish I had one at work!! As it stands they can ace me tomorrow and I wouldn't see a cent more from them.

But really the amount of concussions to critical players is highly alarming and I hope they don't make knee jerk Barry Melrose type decisions where he wants players suspended for unintentional hits to the head. May as well play non contact hockey or two hand touch football and even then there will be concussions (see Girioux).

No easy answer thats for sure.
* that you dont have a contract sucks. i have had contracts in the past and they have to pay you if they dont want you anymore. its about having the leverage doing what you do in order to require a contract.

* just be careful to steer clear of saying that hockey is a violent sport and there are going to be injuries. if players want to play, its the risk they take. therefore no adjustments to the game are required to safeguard them.

* just watched the opening segment of 24/7. lovy throws as many f bombs as boudreau. i so far havent seen the first criticism of his language....torts says "dont **** your pants" after this bruce is going to look tame

Last edited by txpd: 12-16-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old
12-16-2011, 01:57 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* that you dont have a contract sucks. i have had contracts in the past and they have to pay you if they dont want you anymore. its about having the leverage doing what you do in order to require a contract.

* just be careful to steer clear of saying that hockey is a violent sport and there are going to be injuries. if players want to play, its the risk they take. therefore no adjustments to the game are required to safeguard them.
* just watched the opening segment of 24/7. lovy throws as many f bombs as boudreau. i so far havent seen the first criticism of his language.
I just think that the NHL is bit too overreactive to the subject based on what I have observed in the NFL. I just don't want the adjustments to go too far (ala what Melrose suggested)

Old
12-16-2011, 02:05 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Right. Tony Twist actually concurred with this on NHL on the fly. I'm kinda torn on this whole concussion issue. I mean these players get paid megabucks and part of the reason is b/c they put their bodies (and minds) thru danger/violence.

I just fear becoming hyper sensitive to these things. But I speak from my POV and I don't believe I've ever had a concussion before.

Troy Aikman had a million of them but he doesn't come across like he had long term ill effects from them for example.

I just don't like guaranteed contracts and I'm biased here b/c of that.

There is a lot of dizziness and balancing issues involved, at least from my personal experience. I imagine it would greatly effect their skating and focus on the ice, creating more need to take time off to recover. The game sure has become more faster and the players seem to be way more bulked up. Some of those guys now are like NHL linebackers on skates. Speaking of Twist, good to see him on. That was one tough dude.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:06 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
BB may have set the bar for public knowledge of F Bombs, Lovy seen doing it, is now old news. BB during HBO, our team was falling apart. Hoping to see the tactical stuff, plays, we saw Fs, which did not lead to wins. We scratched our f'in heads here.

I see Philly has won their last 2. No one is complaining because it probably worked for him. Maybe since he has a cup, he gets more leeway.

Those in the hockey world, knew about it all along. The last to know, probably most cap fans. The horror, lets go post about it!! Filthy fans, heck their town begins with the letter F.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:20 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Versus will fire him. CBC will give him his own show.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:22 PM
IafrateOvie34

Milbury always had an explosive temper. I'm really surprised he hasn't had prior encounters.

Closed Thread