HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regular Season Non-Caps Thread (II)

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Bonzai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Again...seems like you don't understand the critical junctures of sporting events where the good refs let the players play instead of practically handing one side the win. Anything to keep your hate alive....have a good night.
You're right, I don't understand that and I never have. Call the game consistently throughout. You admit what Getzlaf did was an additional penalty, end of story.

I'm very appreciative of what Bruce did for this organization and would have been happy to see him get the W last night.

Old
12-03-2011, 04:54 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Pray for Octopi.

What Getzlaf did last night should have been a minor and a 10 minute misconduct. Not a double minor.

Ref blew that big time. Clear to see why he hasn't reffed a single playoff game in his career to date.

Old
12-03-2011, 08:32 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Again...seems like you don't understand the critical junctures of sporting events where the good refs let the players play instead of practically handing one side the win. Anything to keep your hate alive....have a good night.
You can always root for the ducks eloel.

Old
12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
You can always root for the ducks eloel.
Shouldn't you be trolling their board now that you have nothing else left in life here?

lolololol

Old
12-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Buffalo had 14 shots on net and won. As DH would say, its all about the scoring chances

Old
12-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

CBC reported that the NHL's amazing new realignment plan re-establishes the complete Patrick Division, plus Carolina. The Florida teams joint the Northeastern teams (potential for lots of Snowbird sellouts down there).

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2173372548

Old
12-04-2011, 03:42 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
CBC reported that the NHL's amazing new realignment plan re-establishes the complete Patrick Division, plus Carolina. The Florida teams joint the Northeastern teams (potential for lots of Snowbird sellouts down there).

Me likely ALOT!!!!!

Old
12-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Florida and Tampa, in a vacuum, get screwed. IRL, seems like there would be a bunch of cash coming through the gates, in the snowbird section as you mentioned.

Anything that gets the Caps out of the Southeast is about fine with me.

Old
12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

I approve of that realignment.

From a Caps fan perspective, our biggest rivals are Pittsburgh and Philadelphia just by geography/distance. Add to that the Rangers based upon just recent playoff activity. Seems ideal for Caps fans.

Old
12-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Seems to be geared, not toward geographic considerations, but votes. All western teams will like it (except maybe Winnipeg), because it evens out travel burdens, and they see Eastern star teams. Every team will host every other team. No less than a home-and-home with every NHL team.

In the East, you preserve NE rivalries and mid-Atlantic rivalries. Preserve Pennsylvania and NYC area rivalries. You also get to add the now nationally-relevant Caps with their biggest traditional rivals, good for national games. Florida does indeed get a bit screwed, but the Snowbird angle can't be that hard a sell. You shred the SE, but that division always was terrible for rivalries, with the possible exception of 1) Florida-on-Florida action, and 2) any rivalry involving Atlanta, which is now moot. If there is a division to fricassee, they picked the right one.

All about votes for Bettman, and I can see this appealing to a lot of teams.

Also, both seven-team divisions are in the East, both eight-team divisions are in the West, which makes sense since within a year, you could see Phoenix moving to the NE.

Old
12-04-2011, 08:28 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

The Ducks blowing another lead. Fire Bruce.

Old
12-04-2011, 08:32 PM
tycoonheart

The Ducks came out firing, but they took a bunch of stupid penalties and let the Wild back in and now they look deflated. They've given up a boat load shots to Minnesota. A lot of odd man rushes. They've gotten trapped in their own zone for minutes at a time. Same crap we saw with our team.

Old
12-04-2011, 08:53 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

From the Caps standpoint, that realignment is a no-brainer.

Old
12-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Dirtbag59

So how would the playoffs work in that system? 4 in each division with a first round division playoff?

Old
12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There will be no more divisions. Four distinct conferences. No more East either. That means that the Caps play the Adams teams the same amount they play the Smythe and Norris teams.

You have a conference semifinal, conference final, Cup semifinal, and Cup Final.

Re-seed before every round. Top four teams from each conference make the playoffs, 1-4 and 2-3 matchups. Then the survivors play a conference final.

Then for Round Three, they re-seed all four teams left, 1-4 and 2-3 matchups.

There is no more West or East. Boston and Washington could play in the finals, or Detroit and San Jose. The only teams you can not play in the Finals are conference rivals, because the third round features the last remaining teams from each conference.

Old
12-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

What's gotten into Colorado.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post

Ryan O'Reilly.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
There will be no more divisions. Four distinct conferences. No more East either. That means that the Caps play the Adams teams the same amount they play the Smythe and Norris teams.

You have a conference semifinal, conference final, Cup semifinal, and Cup Final.

Re-seed before every round. Top four teams from each conference make the playoffs, 1-4 and 2-3 matchups. Then the survivors play a conference final.

Then for Round Three, they re-seed all four teams left, 1-4 and 2-3 matchups.

There is no more West or East. Boston and Washington could play in the finals, or Detroit and San Jose. The only teams you can not play in the Finals are conference rivals, because the third round features the last remaining teams from each conference.
I like that except for the idea that we could never play the Pens in the Cup semifinal (assuming I read everything correctly).

Old
12-05-2011, 04:31 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Yeah, O'Reilly.
Expect us to lose three straight within the division right now.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:08 AM
BrettXNA*

I dont know what the Ducks were like before like Boudreau's arrival but this certainly sounds like a BB coached team - I am so glad that the Capitals are rid of that clown.
This should should sound familiar, from the Ducks GDT on HF Boards for last nights game against the Wild:

"(Hiller) called out the team on getting the puck out of the zone, turnovers, allowing far too many 2 on 1's. Said that the players are acting like they are the best team out there, and it's affecting how they play defense. Giving up far to many SOG."

Old
12-05-2011, 10:59 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
The Ducks came out firing, but they took a bunch of stupid penalties and let the Wild back in and now they look deflated. They've given up a boat load shots to Minnesota. A lot of odd man rushes. They've gotten trapped in their own zone for minutes at a time. Same crap we saw with our team.
Sadly it's the same Ducks I've been watching all year....so far.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:00 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post
I dont know what the Ducks were like before like Boudreau's arrival but this certainly sounds like a BB coached team - I am so glad that the Capitals are rid of that clown.
This should should sound familiar, from the Ducks GDT on HF Boards for last nights game against the Wild:

"(Hiller) called out the team on getting the puck out of the zone, turnovers, allowing far too many 2 on 1's. Said that the players are acting like they are the best team out there, and it's affecting how they play defense. Giving up far to many SOG."
Look at their record....they were already bad.

I watch parts of all the West coast games most nights. They've got some issues on that roster.

I'm sure Hiller is making a lot of friends with those comments in his own lockerroom with that .886 save % in the game and his (currently) 32nd ranked in the NHL save % of .889 on the season.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 12-05-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old
12-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post

Weren't the Ducks already pretty horrible?

Old
12-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I like that except for the idea that we could never play the Pens in the Cup semifinal (assuming I read everything correctly).
While true, the way this worked in the past is that you ended up playing the same teams from your division a lot in the playoffs, in rounds 1 and 2. That bred fierce rivalries.

Of course, the caveat to that is this: In the '80s, 4 of 5, or 4 of 6, teams per division made the playoffs: 16 of 21. Now, the league is bigger, but still you have 16 teams in the playoffs. Now only 4 of 7, or 4 of 8 teams make the playoffs.

Going back to the divisional semi and divisional final model is intended to make repeat playoff series between teams more frequent, breeding hate, which breeds rivalries. That only works if there are a few perennial cellar dwellers. Otherwise, you find yourself back to the current problem: Eight teams, constantly re-seeding... which means you don't play the same teams all the time, and there is less opportunity for rivalries to crop up. This is why some have proposed expanding the playoffs from 16 teams... but this does not have any support and is not going to occur.

Tomorrow is the last day of the meetings, I believe.

Last edited by Drake1588: 12-05-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old
12-05-2011, 04:31 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Weren't the Ducks already pretty horrible?
And so were the Caps when he took over...

blah blah blah. Its why I said that you can't compare any of the situations. They're all different. Hunter vs BB... BB Ducks vs BB Caps... who cares. It's been a week.

Over time we could reflect and "win" our arguments. If you think BB is poor coach, he'll get exposed over next 18 months. If you think he's a genius, the same.

edit: not directed at you holy moly

Closed Thread