HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Regular Season Non-Caps Thread (II)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2011, 01:49 AM
  #101
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
So I did some math.

29 teams - 6 conference opponents = 23 out of conference teams

23 teams x 2 games a year = 46 out of conference games.

82 games - 46 games = 36 games to divi up among conference.

36 games / 6 conference opponents = 6 conference games per opponent.

Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 02:38 AM
  #102
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 500
Really like the conference we're in but not sure how I feel about the playoff format. If I'm understanding it correctly, we'd play the first two rounds within our conference and that means similar playoff match-ups year after year. Hell, we might never play a team outside our conference again in the POs seeing as how we may never make it past the second round again in our lifetimes. It seems a tad "conference heavy" imo given that we'd be playing so many games in the regular season against these teams already. Definitely gonna get the bad blood flowing in our old rivalries, though. That's for sure.

Bananas is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 11:52 AM
  #103
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
Really like the conference we're in but not sure how I feel about the playoff format. If I'm understanding it correctly, we'd play the first two rounds within our conference and that means similar playoff match-ups year after year. Hell, we might never play a team outside our conference again in the POs seeing as how we may never make it past the second round again in our lifetimes. It seems a tad "conference heavy" imo given that we'd be playing so many games in the regular season against these teams already. Definitely gonna get the bad blood flowing in our old rivalries, though. That's for sure.
I think of the old argument that Don Cherry and others had back before the current system. There will be those that feel it is unfair a team with more points than a playoff team with less. Lets say we our fourth in our conference with 76 pts and Buffalo is fifth in theirs with 88. I do like the old Patrick Division rivals, but I also feel we will have toughest conference. Bring on the bad blood, that is what this game has missed for a while.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 12:05 PM
  #104
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,966
vCash: 500
for the short term a divisional playoff format is good. it breeds rivalry. after a while it wears thin when a a team like the capitals who make the playoffs every year and lose in the first two rounds every year plays the same two or three teams every year.

the rod langway capitals might have gone far had the islanders not been a required opponent every season. the idea of having to play the devils every year would kill the fun for anyone.

i will say that i like the package of northern/canadian/snowbird markets with the florida markets.

txpd is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 12:28 PM
  #105
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,841
vCash: 500
What the current format did was make it clear that while fairer, within the conference, at determining which of the bubble teams makes it in, you also end up playing any of a number of possible foes in the playoffs. Unless your team is very, very good, you have few rivalries forming that get to be renewed on a regular basis.

In a crappy division like the SE, you also found one or two teams making it each year, rarely playing one another. The only two SE teams to play each other in the division's history have thus far been Washington and Tampa Bay, twice meeting one another.

This is largely the reason that there are few good SE Division rivalries.

This all changes with the new conference semi and conference final format, same as the Patrick format in the 1980s.

Can that become stale? Sure, it's possible. You can't have a system that both fosters new and old rivalries AND variety, though. It's one or the other. Better to look at it not as stale but as an opportunity to fan the hate within the division. Have Caps-Flyers games lost their hate in the last decade? That now ends. Those games should be just as hate-filled as ever from now on.

Of course, there is another possibility. Divisional playoff formats foster haves and have nots. This isn't about who loses early in the playoffs every year, but who fails to make the playoffs, period.

In the Atlantic/Patrick, you can already tell that five teams are going to compete for four spots, while NYI and Carolina will always be left without a chair. Those teams are going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs.


All of today's best Old Timey rivalries, in my opinion, from Pens-Caps, Pens-Flyers, NYI-NYR, NYR-NJD, BOS-MTL, BOS-BUF, DET-STL, DET-CHI, are an outgrowth of Adams and Norris and Patrick Division rivalries that were stoked by repeated playoff meetings in the 1980s. I like it. All we're missing are the Nordiques and Whalers.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 01:55 PM
  #106
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,966
vCash: 500
in their history how many teams have the caps played in the playoffs? of them, how many more than once?

txpd is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
  #107
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
in their history how many teams have the caps played in the playoffs? of them, how many more than once?
off the top of my head:

PIT
NYR
NYI
TBL
PHI

edit: oh, and probably, MTL

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 02:55 PM
  #108
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
off the top of my head:

PIT
NYR
NYI
TBL
PHI

edit: oh, and probably, MTL
Boston 1990 and 1998.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 08:58 PM
  #109
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,764
vCash: 500
Go Canucks Go!

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 09:28 PM
  #110
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
off the top of my head:

PIT
NYR
NYI
TBL
PHI

edit: oh, and probably, MTL
New Jersey 1988 and 1990.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 10:37 AM
  #111
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
New Jersey 1988 and 1990.
Reminds me how much I hate Pat Verbeek.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 01:18 PM
  #112
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Reminds me how much I hate Pat Verbeek.
Remember the skate to Langway's calf that put him out of the playoffs? Just hated that little punk....good player though.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:14 PM
  #113
dashtary*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,271
vCash: 500
Crosby's out for two games... Uh oh...

dashtary* is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
  #114
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
tycoonheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWayHockey View Post
Crosby's out for two games... Uh oh...
What happened?

tycoonheart is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:28 PM
  #115
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
What happened?
Menstrual cramps.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:29 PM
  #116
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
tycoonheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Menstrual cramps.
lmao

tycoonheart is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:30 PM
  #117
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,841
vCash: 500
Here's the press release:

Crosby to Miss Next Two Games
Wednesday, 12.07.2011 / 4:05 PM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins

Sidney Crosby did not accompany the Pittsburgh Penguins on their road trip to Philadelphia today and will sit out the next two games as a precaution.

"Sidney took a hard hit during our game against Boston Monday night and wasn't feeling 100 percent," Penguins General Manager Ray Shero said. "He saw Dr. Micky Collins of UPMC today and took an ImPACT test, which showed no problems. However, we all think it's best that he sits out the next two games as a precaution."

Crosby has 12 points in eight games since returning from a concussion.
The Penguins play at Philadelphia Thursday and at the New York Islanders Saturday.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:30 PM
  #118
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,556
vCash: 500
Apparently it's because of a hard hit on him last game, but the medical test showed no problems.
Hahaha

Carlzner is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:32 PM
  #119
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Here's the press release:

Crosby to Miss Next Two Games
Wednesday, 12.07.2011 / 4:05 PM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins

Sidney Crosby did not accompany the Pittsburgh Penguins on their road trip to Philadelphia today and will sit out the next two games as a precaution.

"Sidney took a hard hit during our game against Boston Monday night and wasn't feeling 100 percent," Penguins General Manager Ray Shero said. "He saw Dr. Micky Collins of UPMC today and took an ImPACT test, which showed no problems. However, we all think it's best that he sits out the next two games as a precaution."

Crosby has 12 points in eight games since returning from a concussion.
The Penguins play at Philadelphia Thursday and at the New York Islanders Saturday.
What a shame...dude is going to probably be brittle for the rest of his career.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:33 PM
  #120
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
tycoonheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
What a shame...dude is going to probably be brittle for the rest of his career.
He's already been brittle so far. Unfortunate 'coz the guy is uber talented and fun to watch.

tycoonheart is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:33 PM
  #121
dashtary*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,271
vCash: 500
He got hit by his own player right? Or was it a different hit?

dashtary* is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:36 PM
  #122
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
He's already been brittle so far. Unfortunate 'coz the guy is uber talented and fun to watch.
Yep....although I loathe the Pens, the NHL is better with Crosby.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
  #123
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,841
vCash: 500
Darren Millard (Canadian commentator from I can't remember which publication) notes that there has been a rush of concussion, or concussion precaution situations lately, where a guy gets sat, but not until well after he's taken the hit and then completed the game in question.

Daren Millard | What puzzles me re-pens. Sid gets hit last w/c finishes game, letang hit in mtl, finishes game, sid is hit (by own guy) t/week finishes gm.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 03:41 PM
  #124
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWayHockey View Post
He got hit by his own player right? Or was it a different hit?
Matt Cooke with another head shot?

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 04:25 PM
  #125
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Darren Millard (Canadian commentator from I can't remember which publication) notes that there has been a rush of concussion, or concussion precaution situations lately, where a guy gets sat, but not until well after he's taken the hit and then completed the game in question.

Daren Millard | What puzzles me re-pens. Sid gets hit last w/c finishes game, letang hit in mtl, finishes game, sid is hit (by own guy) t/week finishes gm.
You'd think the Pens would have learned from last times mishandling of Crosby guess not.

NeilYoung is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.