HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Martin/Gauthier? All GM/coaching change discussion here

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2011, 11:59 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Why not?

Lots of teams do quick rebuilds by stocking on picks and prospects and getting a high pick. If sucking this year means a great team in the future, go right ahead.
Hey, I'm all for it. Getting elite talent. Let's do it. Fail for Nail.

Might as well keep Martin until the offseason, since he's probably trying to get us there himself.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Why not?

Lots of teams do quick rebuilds by stocking on picks and prospects and getting a high pick. If sucking this year means a great team in the future, go right ahead.
We've done this poll before and people would prefer seeing the Habs fight for 8th every year

Oh and don't forget most fans wouldn't switch rosters with the Oliers not sure if you remember that thread

Old
12-01-2011, 12:03 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
My view: Simple.

- Fire Martin, put an interim coach for now
- Dump Gomez to the minors.
- Trade Cammy for picks and prospects at the deadline
- Ditto Gionta
- Trade Gill for low pick at deadline
- Re-sign Kostitsyn
- 7 year contracts to Price, Subban
- Re-sign Gorges
Start with firing Martin. Do everything you can to replace him with Jacques Lemaire. Hold off on getting rid of Gomez, Gionta and Cammy to see how they respond to the new coach.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:04 PM
MichaelGasse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabs58 View Post
I honestly think it's time for a change. JM lost his dressing room and I honestly think there is a huge lack of respect for one another in the room. Just look at Cammy? Does he look like a guy who feels like playing a solid game? No players show any emotion, and I think it starts with the guy standing behind the bench.
So true. Cammy used to be so energetic, smiling constantly...now he plays like a zombie.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
crazybird87

I'm 100% sure that Martin will still be there at the end of the season . But it's his last one ....

Roy's son , Frederick , is still with the Remparts on one of the best junior team in the CHL , so I highly doubt he's gonna step down from the coaching job with the Remparts this year...Next year is another a story....

And by the way , I would rather see Roy as the Habs GM . I would let the coach duty , to a more experience NHL coach ....

Old
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
jwolf

In an ideal world, Jim Nill would be a serious candidate to take over as GM if and when Molson decides to make a change. Then you let him pick his own coach.
What do you guys think?

Old
12-01-2011, 12:14 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

I wouldn't mind seeing Gainey as the coach, as interim or for a couple years. I doubt he would take the job though.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Gainey as the coach, as interim or for a couple years. I doubt he would take the job though.
I love Bob Gainey (the hockey player) but please God NO. We need to move on from these guys

Old
12-01-2011, 12:17 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
In an ideal world, Jim Nill would be a serious candidate to take over as GM if and when Molson decides to make a change. Then you let him pick his own coach.
What do you guys think?
Done and done.

Let Gauthier / Martin finish the year, pick up a high draft pick. Then clean house.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Definitely looking at the bench last night, everyone looked as though they wanted this to happen to get rid of JM.
JM only has 2 games' worth of breathing room.

I think Roy can fit that team better and help develop Subban, Leblanc and Eller.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Done and done.

Let Gauthier / Martin finish the year, pick up a high draft pick. Then clean house.
Problem with that is you give him the chance to make moves at the deadline and rest of the year. IMO you should hire the new GM (asap) and let him take care of that and the kind of team he wants to build

Old
12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Oshawa General

Quote:
What do you guys think?
Thinking outside the box, Pat Brisson (player agent) might be a guy to consider as GM, check out his background, pretty sharp guy.
There must be a reason why some of the leagues's star players are associated with him, excellence attracts excellence

Old
12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
My view: Simple.

- Fire Martin, put an interim coach for now
- Dump Gomez to the minors.
- Trade Cammy for picks and prospects at the deadline
- Ditto Gionta
- Trade Gill for low pick at deadline
- Re-sign Kostitsyn
- 7 year contracts to Price, Subban
- Re-sign Gorges
am I missing a hidden somewhere?

I could swear I've seen you arguing against such "reactionary" moves earlier this season (or perhaps I'm just mistaking you for another HabsHQ contributor with the same avatar? if so, my bad).

gotta say I agree with most of that, with a few minor changes:

- gomez moved in trade if possible
- I'd actually keep Gionta, unless the offer was to good to pass up... he's not captain for nothing, and while overpaid, his effort/attitude somewhat compensate for middling production @ 5M$. He can be part of solution, imo, as long as Cammy/Gomez & their 13.4M$ of wasted cap space is off the books
- Gill should be worth a 2nd at the deadline... Dmen with his experience and clear contributions in an important facet (PK) are always "overpaid" for at the deadline (for example, Andy Sutton = 2nd in 2010)

everything else with I'm on board...

HarryI for GM

Old
12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I think it's time for people to stop saying Roy is a bad coach. Quebec has one of the youngest teams on offense, they're 4th in the whole CHL at the beginning of December. Grigorenko was supposed to have consistency issues, this season he doesn't. Teams around Quebec in the standings have multiple NHL drafted players, Quebec has one. I think he has improved a lot since 2005.

He hates defensive hockey and hates losing more than anything else. Isn't that what we want?

However, I don't think he would leave Quebec in the middle of the season.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:30 PM
gohabs58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Thinking outside the box, Pat Brisson (player agent) might be a guy to consider as GM, check out his background, pretty sharp guy.
There must be a reason why some of the leagues's star players are associated with him, excellence attracts excellence
Agreed!

Old
12-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
He expressed interest in becoming a GM?

Old
12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
What do you guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I think it's time for people to stop saying Roy is a bad coach. Quebec has one of the youngest teams on offense, they're 4th in the whole CHL at the beginning of December. Grigorenko was supposed to have consistency issues, this season he doesn't. Teams around Quebec in the standings have multiple NHL drafted players, Quebec has one. I think he has improved a lot since 2005.

He hates defensive hockey and hates losing more than anything else. Isn't that what we want?

Both would/should be on the interview list, as should be Mcguire (as much as some hate him), Timmins, and perhaps an agent or someone who doesn't have the normal GM background.

In the end, the molson's need to "nail" the right guy by interviewing at least 4-5 strong candidates, and go with the guy who steps in with the best plan & most convincing vision for what the Montreal Canadiens will be under his guidance.

enough with just recycling guys who have made the rounds "just because". if it means we end up with an guy from "outside the box"... say an ex-agent like Gillis in VAN, or McGuire, so be it.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:36 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Very interesting... Has he expressed the desire to be a GM?

Old
12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
He expressed interest in becoming a GM?
No idea, he fits the bill here though, he's made his millions, has achieved some lofty goals in business and as a player agent, it's up to the Molson family to sell him on the idea of correcting the embarrssing situation here, for one of the greatest franchises in hockey history.
People that are driven like Brisson, tend to look for new challenges, anything is possible

Old
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post

And how many coaches that had consistent success in major junior (be it the Q or the MHL) go on to be NHL failures, even if their teams fitted their systems?

Old
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Both would/should be on the interview list, as should be Mcguire (as much as some hate him), Timmins, and perhaps an agent or someone who doesn't have the normal GM background.

In the end, the molson's need to "nail" the right guy by interviewing at least 4-5 strong candidates, and go with the guy who steps in with the best plan & most convincing vision for what the Montreal Canadiens will be under his guidance.

enough with just recycling guys who have made the rounds "just because". if it means we end up with an guy from "outside the box"... say an ex-agent like Gillis in VAN, or McGuire, so be it.
We're on the same wave length, I was thinking of Pat Brisson

Old
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
How much longer can we allow JM to stifle every player's production and diminish the return we can get on our assets?

Let's face it, the Gainey rebuild was a disaster. We would probably be in the same or better position today had we kept Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay instead of Camm, Gomez and Gio. AND we might have huge room available under the cap since they might have signed at a discount (well, maybe not Kovalev but $5M for 2 yrs and probably less on the next contract)

The only way to undo that mistake is to get rid of PG and start over. Unload all the bad contracts for draft picks and build around the existing core. I'm ok with having some smaller players like DD as long as there are a couple of big bodies playing with them. For example, I like MaxPac-DD-Cole. But we can't have lines like Camm-Pleks-Gio.

Something needs to be done this year because the guys who are the future of the team (Price, MaxPac, Subban) are about to get a raise and we have a bunch of aging players with huge contracts. If we don't unload them, we are stuck with the same team for a few more years. Cole was a good acquisition because of his size and a great mentor for MaxPac so I would hold on to him.

The one that I really dislike now is Camm because of his attitude. I feel like he was just interviewing to be captain his first year and now has completely lost interest. He needs to go.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Serious HABit

I'm so tired of this constant BS of the team sucking hard and being lifeless since the Carbo days. CAN WE STRING TOGETHER TWO LET ALONE ONE ******** CONSISTENT SEASON?

Old
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Why not?

and really, the notion that we would automatically "suck" b/c we moved some underperforming veterans is exaggerated.

remove Cammy, Gomez, Spacek, Gill from our lineup, and is it really that much worse?

seeing Eller, MaxPac, Kost, Diaz, Emelin, Weber get closer to ~18-20 minutes a game consistently won't come without it's bumps, but for all we know the team might actually end up playing better than it is now, with the underperforming vets getting forcedfed their minutes based on age/reputation instead of effectivness.

Yotes made the playoffs the past 2 years with a roster considerably younger & greener than ours, and their contributors weren't exactly blue-chip quality young guys.

i think this team could move a lot of veteran salary, even if the return was only picks/prospects, without dropping out of that race for 8th that we're in and been in since the '09 revamp.

Old
12-01-2011, 01:04 PM
MichaelGasse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
HarryI for GM
That would be a horrible idea!

No offense Harry

Closed Thread