Notices

The Calgary Flames Jarome Iginla and Dallas Stars Unique Trade Connection

Old
11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
The Calgary Flames Jarome Iginla and Dallas Stars Unique Trade Connection

Many of you already know about this long-standing connection, but interesting to reflect back and ponder what the future holds...

Unlike others, of course no mention of Jamie Benn moving out or anything silly like that!

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-calg...de-connection/

chrisralph007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Don't want to give up what it would take to get him. Pass.

Ambassador Of Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:21 AM
starsfan4ever

I'd love to have Iggy, but I don't think we're one player away from a championship. The Stars are just now starting to build organizational depth. Would love to see us follow the Rangers (baseball) model of success, with smart free agent acquisitions sprinkled in.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:24 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Not what we need nor are we the type of team he'd want to move to.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:51 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Not what we need
He's the perfect player to play with Benn and Eriksson, and he won't be as outrageously expensive to acquire as someone like Bobby Ryan. The Stars are one of the only teams in the league that can afford to add $7m in salary for next year, and Calgary should be looking to trade him as soon as they can, as his value is trending downward.

I would argue Dallas is the best fit in the league for Iginla, should the Flames choose to trade him.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
He's the perfect player to play with Benn and Eriksson, and he won't be as outrageously expensive to acquire as someone like Bobby Ryan. The Stars are one of the only teams in the league that can afford to add $7m in salary for next year, and Calgary should be looking to trade him as soon as they can, as his value is trending downward.

I would argue Dallas is the best fit in the league for Iginla, should the Flames choose to trade him.
So we trade away a 1st in a deep draft and a prospect like Nemeth or Chaisson for a chance to make the playoffs for the next 2 years? Does Iginla make us better than LA or SJ or Vancouver or Detroit or Chicago? No. I'd rather build up our depth and then use them as assets when we are in a better position to win.

Ambassador Of Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:06 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I'd give up a 1st, Glennie, and Morrow or Robidas for him. Iggy is a phenomenal player who I'd KILL to have on this team.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:13 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

If there's another way to get a 40 goal scorer without giving up a valuable roster player, I'm eager to hear it.

Iginla may not make us the favorites, but he'll make us dark horse contenders. I'd gladly give up the first for that.

Edit: I would definitely not trade Morrow for him, as that would make his acquisition fairly pointless.

Last edited by hairylikebear: 11-30-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old
11-30-2011, 03:12 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Iggy won't win us a Cup and will only be here for 2 years. We're not in a position to be unloading assets for an aging veteran.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:08 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Quote:
Iggy won't win us a Cup and will only be here for 2 years.
[Citation needed]

I mean, there's no way you could be that certain unless you knew something I didn't.
Quote:
We're not in a position to be unloading assets for an aging veteran.
They're in an even better position to do that now than they were four years ago when they traded for Richards.

Not that Richards was aging, but it was still a worthwhile trade even though he didn't win us a cup, and left after three years.

Old
11-30-2011, 05:29 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 250
Would love to see Iggy back in Dallas.

Don't think he'd cost a whole lot, either.

11-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

I wouldn't move a 1st rounder in a trade for Iginla.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:59 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I'd love to get Iginla but I don't wanna give up a lot because it doesn't make sense too. It's not like were one key player away from a strong playoff run. Like a few people said, will have him for 2 years and chances are we won't do much in the playoffs IF we make it.

Robi, Glennie, 2012 2nd and 2013 3rd is probably what I'd offer. I wouldn't wanna trade a 1st.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:33 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
The Stars acquired Nieuwendyk in his age 29 season, his prime. Iginla is in his age 34 season. The author is trying to draw a direct parallel between the 2 time periods when neither the players nor the respective clubs' situations warrant such a comparison.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:05 AM
txomisc

i really hope the Stars are more patient than this. Mediocre teams with weak prospect pools should not trade for an aging veteran who appears to be quickly declining. The whole stars drafted him and then traded him for the guy who is now their current gm thing is insignificant and doesn't imply anything as far as interest in dallas.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Troy McClure

He's at least five years too old. No thanks.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:22 PM
WhoahNow

For Iginla's sake I hope he doesn't get traded to the Stars. If he does leave Calgary it should be to a Cup contender and I don't think we are quite there yet.

WhoahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:47 PM
BeaverSports

One thing to think about here is that while we'd all like to believe Jamie Benn is developing into a franchise player, and he is, he and Loui Eriksson still don't have the same name recognition as Mike Modano and Brett Hull in their prime. Jarome Iginla still has name recognition from the Nieuwendyk trade and people know he's a legit name player, something the Stars arguably haven't had even with Richards. For a team struggling to sell tickets, this puts people in the seats in a hurry.

They know he's still got some productive years, they know he knows Gagliardi well, so there's probably a chance to re-sign him, and the cupboard certainly isn't as barren as it was a few years ago. I could see the potential in such a move.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:57 PM
starsfan4ever

We haven't had a big name player because of the inability to market our players. Benn and Eriksson are marketable, hell even Ott is liked around parts of Texas because he likes to hit. Give it time, we don't need to make a splashy move to put butts in the seats. Winning will take care of that.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:50 AM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

Even if Iggy waives his NTC to come here, the price we would have to pay would be too steep. You can't just unload Morrow, Robidas, Ribs, and some draft picks and expect, A: that Calgary even agrees and B: to decimate our whole team, for an older player who would certainly not be in this franchises' future. I'll pass on this one. We should look at Parise and/or Weber. More realistically, an above average winger and some shut down d-men. Gaglardi has also iterated that he wants to build from within, but that he also isn't opposed to bringing in the right guys for our situation. Iggy would look good short term, but he isn't a smart long term investment.

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:13 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
You guys all realize that the TFP article he cites as the main source of the rumor is absolutely full of it, right?

The original Garrioch article carried no suggestion that a trade is in the works or that Dallas even wants Iginla. It just mentioned the ties between Iginla and Gaglardi and said something like "don't be surprised if he ends up in Dallas eventually." It was like Biggie's post on Doan a week or so ago - pure spitballing based on the Kamloomps ties, not an actual trade rumor.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:46 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
You guys all realize that the TFP article he cites as the main source of the rumor is absolutely full of it, right?

The original Garrioch article carried no suggestion that a trade is in the works or that Dallas even wants Iginla. It just mentioned the ties between Iginla and Gaglardi and said something like "don't be surprised if he ends up in Dallas eventually." It was like Biggie's post on Doan a week or so ago - pure spitballing based on the Kamloomps ties, not an actual trade rumor.

I recognized and acknowledged as much - I realized the TFP article is full of it...hindsight 20/20 though I should not have given them the space in the article - should have went back to the source of truth and quoted Garrioch as I agree - he was taken out of context. TFP is simply where I 1st say the "rumour" and was just establishing the background info...

I am far from a rumour-generator. I merely wanted to remind or make casual fans aware of the trade history between the two franchises. That was the intended focus.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old
12-02-2011, 01:55 PM
glovesave_35
Name

It's not my intention to come off as a dick here but I can assure you that any Stars fan on these boards is going to know about the Nieuwendyk/Iginla trade. Truly casual Stars fans probably have no idea this forum exists.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:31 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
It's not my intention to come off as a dick here but I can assure you that any Stars fan on these boards is going to know about the Nieuwendyk/Iginla trade. Truly casual Stars fans probably have no idea this forum exists.
I wouldn;t expect any different either...there might be the scatter younger fan not realizing the history goes back to Kent Nilsson though...no?

Old
12-04-2011, 12:18 AM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I wouldn't mind acquiring Iginla, but not until he is a free agent. Which at that point, he probably won't have much left.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote