HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mouthguard made by dentist and braces

Old
12-03-2011, 04:14 PM
nullterm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Ive seen that every CHL'er uses a visor. Even the 15 and 16 year olds. If you dont mind, could you explain the rules for visors and cages for junior? Here in Sweden you have to use a cage until you start to play U-20's, or have the age for it. Which is the season after your 18th birthday
I'm not super well versed in the rules, but from what I've observed kids in Canada playing minor hockey all have to use full cages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_ice_hockey#Canada

At 16, players can start playing junior. At that age, the players wear CSA certified visors and mouthguards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_ice_hockey

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:55 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
At 16, players can start playing junior. At that age, the players wear CSA certified visors and mouthguards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_ice_hockey
for an example, Aaron Ekblad is 15 and born in 1996 but he plays for the Barrie Colts in the OHL. I guess the age is 15 then? Another thing I've noticed is that more or less everyone use the exact same visor, an itech one. I know that the CHL have an agreement with CCM, but I thought the choose of visor type maybe was free

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

When I had my braces a couple seasons ago I used a shockdoctor mouth guard. They were made extra wide. Worked fine.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:10 PM
nullterm

Quote:
for an example, Aaron Ekblad is 15 and born in 1996 but he plays for the Barrie Colts in the OHL. I guess the age is 15 then? Another thing I've noticed is that more or less everyone use the exact same visor, an itech one. I know that the CHL have an agreement with CCM, but I thought the choose of visor type maybe was free
Most visors are not CSA certified. I think they require 3 point visors that are also bolted to the helmet at the forehead for safety.

CCM only makes cages, not visors. They probably had a separate deal with Itech (now owned by Bauer).

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:04 AM
mbowman

Quote:
Thank you, that was about all I needed. My worries were that I would need to play with a cage for an extra year, instead of playing with a shield. Perhaps a review from somebody who have used the sort of mouthguard I'm talking about. Maybe I explained what I wanted to know crappy.
my roommate wore one for rugby, though he didn't have braces. seemed to like it. I had a shock-doctor, which i also liked. personal preference, they both gave plenty of protection. though it's a bit different for rugby

mbowman is offline   Reply With Quote