HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #26 Colorado vs St. Louis|7:00 PM MTN|We be ALLLL up in Stewbear's Grill Tonight

Old
12-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Good read, thanks.

No surprise the trade is working out in STL's favor right now. They're farther along in their rebuild than we are. I still think we got two (three if you count Siemens) very important pieces that address important needs. But yeah, giving up Shatty hurts a HELL of a whole lot worse than giving up Stewie right now.

Any word on what Rattie projects to be for them? Forgot that he was gotten with our 2nd rounder.
We have Elliott so IMO losing Shattenkirk doesn't really hurt. But I would love to have someone like Stewart on this team because we can't score. Doesn't seem like Stewart is trying too hard in St. Louis but they don't have any playmaking centers either. He needs someone like Stastny to get him the puck.

Before someone brings up his stats with the Blues last season, go and watch those goals again. Pucks were going off his ass, back, and legs right into the net. He also had a ridiculous shooting %. It wasn't all luck but obviously he wasn't going to keep up that kind of pace.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Landeslog

I stand by my initial thoughts of the trade. We traded excess (PMDs) for what we lacked (all-around solid guy like EJ). Could Shatty turn out to be better than EJ? Sure. But it doesn't change the fact that they're two different types of players.

I hope Shattenkirk tears it up. I always liked him and when I heard "Stewart for EJ" I was ecstatic, but then hearing Shattenkirk was traded with him sucked. Don't care much for Stewart.

Still, I'd rather have EJ than Shattenkirk. ESPECIALLY after getting a better look at Elliott (and I thought Barrie had a better camp even).

Blues are one of my top 5 favorite teams so I wish a certain amount of their fans would shutup about the trade already. They're making it really hard for me to wish well on the Blues.

I see us losing tonight. By more than 2 goals. Elliott continues his streak.

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
Why is it that people always say "Oh well, Stewie will turn it around." this and that, and also say that "Johnson won't ever live up to his potential" Both are "who knows" at this point IMO. People just like to ruffle feathers I guess.
Well...

The issue with Stewart tends to be one of...effort. Something which seems easier to fix at first glance, people are just sure that a young player is eventually going to figure out what is needed to play the pro game and will apply himself once figuring it out.
Now whether the issue with Stewart is really him being lazy or if it is him losing confidence...dunno. Either way some players never really fix themselves.

With Johnson there was rarely any question of effort...but was questioned with him, in particular with Blues fans, was his hockey sense. Johnson would look fantastic and then do something indescribably dumb resulting in a goal the other way. This is perceived as more difficult to fix, even though defensemen tend to have this issue a lot when they are younger.
His play is concerning however, in particular when one views players like Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk who seem to have far fewer mental questions. Hopefully he grows out of it, but everyone remembers the difference between the flip being switched in Pronger and it still being stuck in the half-on position with Brewer.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Balls on the table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Well...

The issue with Stewart tends to be one of...effort. Something which seems easier to fix at first glance, people are just sure that a young player is eventually going to figure out what is needed to play the pro game and will apply himself once figuring it out.
Now whether the issue with Stewart is really him being lazy or if it is him losing confidence...dunno. Either way some players never really fix themselves.

With Johnson there was rarely any question of effort...but was questioned with him, in particular with Blues fans, was his hockey sense. Johnson would look fantastic and then do something indescribably dumb resulting in a goal the other way. This is perceived as more difficult to fix, even though defensemen tend to have this issue a lot when they are younger.
His play is concerning however, in particular when one views players like Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk who seem to have far fewer mental questions. Hopefully he grows out of it, but everyone remembers the difference between the flip being switched in Pronger and it still being stuck in the half-on position with Brewer.
Makes sense

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 0
Discussion about the EJ trade has jumped the shark. Has anyone in the last three months said anything new about it? It's just repeating old stuff ad nauseam at this stage.

Sick and tired of it. Both teams are happy. Fans of both teams are happy. Move on.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:35 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
http://www.whl.ca/article/hawks-ratt...r-of-the-month

Rattie is WHL player of the month. There are questions about his size, as an NHLer, but things look pretty promising for him.

The Blues aren't really in a position to need to rush prospects into the line-up like they used to 3 or 4 years ago. I suspect Rattie is 2 or 3 seasons away from being a serious candidate for the roster, and that he'll probably project as a 3rd liner with offensive upside.
He's going to be an NHL player. No doubt about that, but as a 2nd liner good for 50-60 points in his prime. He's really an offensive dynamo player, but lacks in other departments. RS says he's good in the defensive zone, but I kind of disagree. I'm not saying he's bad nor lazy, but his strengths are when he has the puck on his stick.

Very good pick in for the Blues especially in the 2nd round, but Siemens was a weakness in both our prospect pools and imo will have the bigger impact.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
From todays St Louis paper:

* The Blues' big trade has been a success. As the Blues play at Colorado tonight, it's a good time to look back on the major deal between the teams that went down on Feb. 19. The Blues sent defenseman Erik Johnson and defensive center Jay McClement to Colorado for defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk and winger Chris Stewart. (The teams also exchanged draft picks, with the Avalanche getting the more beneficial tradeoff there.)
Sure, Stewart has cooled down and needs to find his scoring touch. He's had a disappointing start fo the season but will likely get going. With the Blues Stewart has 18 goals and 12 assists and is a plus 3 in 47 games.
Shattenkirk continues to impress; I don't know how many people realized how good he was at the time of the trade. Since becoming a Blue, Shattenkirk ranks second among all NHL defensemen in points (35) and assists (31.) He's a plus 12. He's been a marvel.
Johnson's play still qualifies as disappointing and that perception hasn't gotten any better since the swap. The former No. 1 overall draft choice a minus 12 this season, with no goals and nine assists. He has three goals and 15 assists in 38 games with Colorado and hasn't scored an even-strength goal in his last 36 games. McClement does a serviceable job, and always gives an honest effort. But he's a minus 8 with Colorado.
The Blues are 26-20-4 since the deal.
Colorado is 16-31-2.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...#ixzz1fPXs2oqo
What I hate about this article is how he posted the teams records after the trade and then deems it as Blues won. A few players even EJ caliber couldn't change the fact that our coaching sucks. Even vise-verse with Blues and how good their coaching has been with Stewart sucking this much.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Nihiliste

It's been refreshing being able to interact with some non-inflammatory Blues fans today, on here and on the trade board, means I can go back to wishing the Blues well this year.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
What I hate about this article is how he posted the teams records after the trade and then deems it as Blues won. A few players even EJ caliber couldn't change the fact that our coaching sucks. Even vise-verse with Blues and how good their coaching has been with Stewart sucking this much.
What I hate about it is it came from the St. Louis paper.

Your point stands though too.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
It's been refreshing being able to interact with some non-inflammatory Blues fans today, on here and on the trade board, means I can go back to wishing the Blues well this year.
This! It's been a while since I've encountered the non-stupid Blues fans

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Go Avs!!

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
http://www.whl.ca/article/hawks-ratt...r-of-the-month

Rattie is WHL player of the month. There are questions about his size, as an NHLer, but things look pretty promising for him.

The Blues aren't really in a position to need to rush prospects into the line-up like they used to 3 or 4 years ago. I suspect Rattie is 2 or 3 seasons away from being a serious candidate for the roster, and that he'll probably project as a 3rd liner with offensive upside.
Good to know, thanks.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I hope tonight's game gets chippy as hell

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:21 PM
NWAvs

Big chippy game. I want aggression from everyone. Huge game in my opinion.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

TIS THE SEASON BOYS.

FIRST GAME OF DECEMBER... MAKE IT A GOOD MONTH!!!!

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:46 PM
avs1986

Anyone know who's between the pipes for the Avs?

avs1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1986 View Post
Varlamov.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1986 View Post
Sacco's trying a new strategy and has empty net there.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

you kow what, when you have a huge defense you should try to at least focus on blocking some shots. I hate to praise the old regime (Granatool) but his shot blocking scheme is just what we need.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
Sacco's trying a new strategy and has empty net there.
That's not new.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
you kow what, when you have a huge defense you should try to at least focus on blocking some shots. I hate to praise the old regime (Granatool) but his shot blocking scheme is just what we need.
It's not that we allow a ton of shots anyways, its more the quality of shots that we're allowing that's killing us

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Good luck tonight guys, should be a good one. I miss McClement, came into the league when the Blues were a POS team. I was like 13 and just getting into the Blues(was always a fan, became more hardcore with the finding of HF and other sites). Awesome Pker and team guy .

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
23rd in the league with 154, which is higher than I assumed they'd be. Boston is 29th with 133, which I find shocking simply for the fact that when you think of that team you think of grit. Not that that means blocks, obviously, but the two seem a natural fit.

For the record, Detroit is last with 112. That is not surprising.

First, Nashville, 248.

Just realized this is the GDT. So, to keep it all relevant, Blues are 14th with 174.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Elever
Hth

Thankfully, David Perron isn't playing till tomorrow. And I also think their no1 dman (Petro) is injured still so no reason for us not to be able to compete here.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Pietrangelo is playing I think, haven't heard otherwise. He had the flu but should be good.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote