HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Caps (12.1.11)

Old
12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
AgentM

vCash: 500
Paul Martin played 28 minutes?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Oh and I forgot.

- No Letang on the PP. He was trully miss on the PP, we had troubles entering the zone and Paul Martind idn't generate anything from the point. Our most dangerous point man was Niskanen and he didn't see much time with the big boys, if Letang can't play Saturday perhaps Niskanen should get moved to the first unit.
Despres was better in the 15 seconds he was on the point of one PP, if only because his shot was hard but, unlike Nisky's, low and on the net.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Cole, I think Martin's defensive play has actually been pretty solid the last couple games. I still think he's fighting it pretty bad after the red line, but I was never as mad about that as some around here.

This next bit is adressed at the hive mind in general:

Martin is not a PP guy. He was not brought here to replace that aspect of Gonchar's game. When he signed they had Goligoski. Then Letang made huge strides making Goligoski expendable. Martin wasn't a disappointment through 20 games because of to few goals or assists. He was bad defensively. He's paid the big coin because he can play 25 minutes of quietly efficient defence getting the puck away from Fleury and up to forwards.

Edit to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Paul Martin played 28 minutes?
This is why he gets paid big money. Take him off the power play and no one would have noticed him. Free Candy and point shots are great, but they aren't defence.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
PartyatMarios

Was at the bar for mom's birthday and whining about Vitale out and Adams with no offense and a few minutes later he scores. What a day.......

PartyatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:50 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyatMarios View Post
Was at the bar for mom's birthday and whining about Vitale out and Adams with no offense and a few minutes later he scores. What a day.......
No worries. I made a complete ass out of myself in the GDT, too. I threw a hissy fit and boom - Adams scores a goal.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:51 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Makes sense . . . Martin did more to help the Caps win today than any Capitals player did.

In all fairness, I thought he was pretty solid except for a few plays.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Huge ups to the Pens forwards. I think they noticed when Bort/Despres were out there, they elevated their defensive game. Most notably when Despres fumbled the puck. Instead of it going to a 2 on 1, Staal was right there when he could have found himself deep in the zone. He thought defense first in that situation.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm very shocked Ovy just stopped shooting. What made him so crazy dynamic is just firing from everywhere. One time he caught the puck where it was a perfect one-timer on the PP and just fumbled it.

Very strange to see #8 like that.
I could have sworn in the third I saw Ovi try to run Malkin twice.

One time, Malkin is high slot in his zone and makes the outlet, Ovi comes barreling in, hits Malkin, and then goes straight down . . . I think it was Ovi, but he went down so easily, maybe it was Wideman. Was it Ovi.

Other time, Malkin is on his blue line, Ovi comes full speed, and Malkin just side steps him and pushes the puck to Despres to start the play.

Heck, I saw a few times he was nothing when trying to hit Bortuzzo.

Old
12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
No worries. I made a complete ass out of myself in the GDT, too. I threw a hissy fit and boom - Adams scores a goal.
We can jest, but I think that's the best game a 4th line has played for this team in a long time. Except for Adams tripping over what I can only assume was a gopher hole right at the end, I thought all 3 of them were great.

And big ups to Asham for that fight. Foreskin is not a small person.

Old
12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
WasteofTaffe

Surprised DB did'nt do much line juggling between 87 and 71's lines, neither line looked dominant at all. Sid looked scared of the puck much of the game he needs to skate hard without the puck and get himself open more often..

WasteofTaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:54 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post

In all fairness, I thought he was pretty solid except for a few plays.
Per shift? Per period? Or, for the game?

Guy turned over the puck a half dozen times in his end, made a few garbage first passes, and otherwise played like he was most worried about getting hit. Can't have that . . . on a per shift basis, the only significant differences I saw between Martin's game and Despres' game is Despres has a shot and was willing to take a hit (sorry, but the Martin I saw played like Despres in his own end).

Old
12-01-2011, 08:55 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm very shocked Ovy just stopped shooting. What made him so crazy dynamic is just firing from everywhere. One time he caught the puck where it was a perfect one-timer on the PP and just fumbled it.

Very strange to see #8 like that.
@MikeColligan
Mike Colligan
#Pens Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby attempted a combined 18 shots tonight; #Caps Alex Ovechkin attempted 1

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
+ Fleury

- Crosby. I don't remember him ever being such a non factor outside of Red Wing games.

+ I don't know if Shero needs to trade for a Dman at the deadline, he can just call one up from WBS.

- Sullivan. He has talent and can keep up with Geno, but, he doesn't/ can't produce points. He's also useless when not playing offense. Wishing Jagr signed here

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

- Carlsson trying to take Cooke's head off with a cheap shot...he needs sat down for at least 3-5

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I could have sworn in the third I saw Ovi try to run Malkin twice.

One time, Malkin is high slot in his zone and makes the outlet, Ovi comes barreling in, hits Malkin, and then goes straight down . . . I think it was Ovi, but he went down so easily, maybe it was Wideman. Was it Ovi.

Other time, Malkin is on his blue line, Ovi comes full speed, and Malkin just side steps him and pushes the puck to Despres to start the play.

Heck, I saw a few times he was nothing when trying to hit Bortuzzo.
It was Malkin - while he was already engaged - and Ovie still went down.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Huge ups to the Pens forwards. I think they noticed when Bort/Despres were out there, they elevated their defensive game. Most notably when Despres fumbled the puck. Instead of it going to a 2 on 1, Staal was right there when he could have found himself deep in the zone. He thought defense first in that situation.
Staal and Malkin were the two guys I really noticed on this.

Old
12-01-2011, 08:57 PM
vodeni

+MAF solid, but no high glove shots tonight
+ I'll give to entire D although some old mistakes. Solid first game for a young man. He was very cool in few situations not panicking,
=Kunitz, showed a little bit of jump tonight, but has a big hill to climb to get out of that bad strech
+jordan solid
+4th line, finally some good effort
+71 I thought he looked good, wish he had some support on his line
-hate to pile up on Sully but he doesn't look good
=#18 he kind of dissapeared, I'll have to check minutes but seemed like he wasn't around much
-Sid's first minus, and that's just by his standards, perked up a little bit in the third but first 40 minuets looked really tired
+++finally win against Caps
---Caps look awful, never seen them this bad.

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Saku11

+Finally winning these ****s!
+Ovechkin invisible apart for the first period
+Grinders, especially the fourth line
+MAF
-Sid was lazy, no hustle at all.
-Martin

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Krom

Engelland has turned into a pretty good defenseman. Playing with supreme confidence right now and looks like a top-4 d-man.

Krom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:58 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flying Birds View Post
Agreed. They didn't shy away from the physical stuff and made some nice, crisp passes to the forwards and skated with confidence after some early mistakes.

Sid and Geno didn't look as good as they usually do. Sid in particular. That'll happen some games though. Even the best in the world have off days. The important thing is we won even without them at their best.
Actually, Geno looked like he did in the last Caps game. Dog **** in the first (not that he didn't care, but he wasn't smart with the puck). Got better over the second. Dominant in the third. Only difference is he didn't get two assists, but back then his line was a three man unit, not a two man unit (cough, Sullivan, cough).

Old
12-01-2011, 09:00 PM
GroupTherapy

+We won! In regulation. How many of us were expecting to win a 2-1 game? I certainly was skeptical.
+Adams completely trolling the Caps
+Great offensive pressure in the last 3 minutes to keep the Caps from getting any good 6 on 5 time
Big + to Fleury who really was the best player in a Pens jersey tonight

-Martin on the PP. I think watching him on the point really proves that even though we b**** and moan about Letang not being a PP QB, we underrate how much better he is than our other options.

+ to both sides, great physical checking game. Really fun to watch. Even better to win!

GroupTherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:01 PM
lirit
Romans 8:31

Just a note btw, nobody is signed up for the GDT for Carolina. Perfect time for a newbie to step in. Don't be shy! I would but I'm just too busy.

lirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Cole, I think Martin's defensive play has actually been pretty solid the last couple games. I still think he's fighting it pretty bad after the red line, but I was never as mad about that as some around here.

This next bit is adressed at the hive mind in general:

Martin is not a PP guy. He was not brought here to replace that aspect of Gonchar's game. When he signed they had Goligoski. Then Letang made huge strides making Goligoski expendable. Martin wasn't a disappointment through 20 games because of to few goals or assists. He was bad defensively. He's paid the big coin because he can play 25 minutes of quietly efficient defence getting the puck away from Fleury and up to forwards.

Edit to add:

This is why he gets paid big money. Take him off the power play and no one would have noticed him. Free Candy and point shots are great, but they aren't defence.
Sorry, but I would have noticed him at even strength playing with less poise than Despres deep in his own end, shying away from any physical contact and making bad first decisions with the puck behind his goal line when pressured.

Old
12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

+ Staal is a ****ing animal

+ MAF had a great game. W/ only 17 sots he could have easily fell asleep and let in a softie, he didn't.

+ Holding the Caps to 17 ****ing shot

+ Beating the ****ing caps

- PP, pass pass pass lose puck pass pass

- weak passes in the D zone

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
MtlPenFan

If anyone has gamecenter, go back to around 3 seconds left in the game, and Carlson gives Cooke a really nasty ****ing elbow.