HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Mike Richards gets hit by Sean Bergenheim

Old
12-02-2011, 06:38 AM
kingsfan28
Its All About Sv Pct

vCash: 500
Mike Richards gets hit by Sean Bergenheim

For those who didn't see it:

Shorter version:

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I'm fine with this hit. Bergenheim could have really took Richards' head off, but he didn't. Really just stood him up. Richards needs to be smarter than that after the hit, that penalty could have really cost the team.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:08 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Any contact here was clearly incidental.
The head was not the principal point of contact.
As almost all of you have stated in the GDT (impressively) not a headshot.

Here is the reason for the karma comments and no sympathy here...this decapitation by Richards of Booth makes all Panther fans very sensitive to targeted head shots. Booth out for a year, never the same, recently traded away.

So.. with apologies from any of us that are here with no sympathy to Richards, and certainly not a Kings issue.

Cheers.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post

Here is the reason for the karma comments and no sympathy here...this decapitation by Richards of Booth makes all Panther fans very sensitive to targeted head shots. Booth out for a year, never the same, recently traded away.

So.. with apologies from any of us that are here with no sympathy to Richards, and certainly not a Kings issue.

Cheers.
How bout you go back to your own forum.

Cheers.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:26 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
...this decapitation by Richards of Booth
You might want to check a dictionary.

And Richards is also responsible for Booth being traded? Any way you can pin the Japan earthquake/tsunami on him too?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:42 AM
The Butcher
**** your team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
How bout you go back to your own forum.

Cheers.
Agreed.

Not a good day to try and make friends here.

The Butcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:50 AM
jml87

It was a bad hit on Booth but what more do you want Richards to do to atone for it. He doesn't normally go for the head and he said that he moved at the last second causing him to hit the head instead of the shoulder.

As soon as he faced Booth again he dropped the gloves with him after Booth asked. I don't see Kaleta or Cooke doing something like that. And I sure didnt see bergenheim or kopensky owning up to what they did last night.

It was 3 years ago and Booth isn't even on Panthers team anymore.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Such respect for Richards... Took the hit, got dazed.. and then goes after the guy that hit him.

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:

Cheers.
On HFBoards people will find hostility even if there is none in your post. I definitely understand the resentment towards Richards from that hit, it was definitely dirty. As you said, the hit by Bergenheim wasn't dirty, I think most can agree. And I understand that any lack of sympathy is because of the Richards hit a few years ago and not because you hate the Kings.

That said, always better to avoid the other teams' forum here on hfboards. Emotions flare a bit too easily. I appreciate you taking the time to explain where the unsympathetic feelings come from but, I'd advise a more passive stance in the future

Cheers,
Have a nice day.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
On HFBoards people will find hostility even if there is none in your post. I definitely understand the resentment towards Richards from that hit, it was definitely dirty. As you said, the hit by Bergenheim wasn't dirty, I think most can agree. And I understand that any lack of sympathy is because of the Richards hit a few years ago and not because you hate the Kings.

That said, always better to avoid the other teams' forum here on hfboards. Emotions flare a bit too easily. I appreciate you taking the time to explain where the unsympathetic feelings come from but, I'd advise a more passive stance in the future

Cheers,
Have a nice day.
Well stated. Fair enough. You'll note early on in the gdt I wished the best of luck, invited posters to our board, updated injuries and then postgame congratuled a great win. It's great interacting with fans from all over. As a 15 yr fl Sth I'm used to visiting fans.
That said, although the above post was simply to explain the etiology of the Richards animosity, and apologetic to kings fans in nature, I respect your sentiments and am done here.
Cheers.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Wyshinski already said no supplemental discipline for Bergenheim. Seen as a full body hit.

I would agree. Just dazed Rick pretty good.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You might want to check a dictionary.

And Richards is also responsible for Booth being traded? Any way you can pin the Japan earthquake/tsunami on him too?

Booth is and never will be the same player he was pre concussion. He was a 30 goal scorer and the face of the panthers franchise and one of the most loved panther players in history.

Richards took all of that away with that hit. Sorry your player got hurt, but there is a reason panther fans hate him and it has nothing to do with the kings.

(this was posted as I sit under my framed Gretzky signed kings jersey)

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:35 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Booth is and never will be the same player he was pre concussion. He was a 30 goal scorer and the face of the panthers franchise and one of the most loved panther players in history.

Richards took all of that away with that hit. Sorry your player got hurt, but there is a reason panther fans hate him and it has nothing to do with the kings.

(this was posted as I sit under my framed Gretzky signed kings jersey)
At the time it was a legal hit and Booth was admiring his pass. Sorry, but you can't blame the hitter all the time, every player is responsible for themselves and keeping your head down when a known hitter is on the ice is irresponsible.

Bottom line is, he hasn't made that kind of hit since then, even before they made the rule change. But Didn't Booth end up concussed again afterward because he had his head down?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
At the time it was a legal hit and Booth was admiring his pass. Sorry, but you can't blame the hitter all the time, every player is responsible for themselves and keeping your head down when a known hitter is on the ice is irresponsible.

Bottom line is, he hasn't made that kind of hit since then, even before they made the rule change. But Didn't Booth end up concussed again afterward because he had his head down?
That hit has been the number one example of why the rule was changed. While it may have been a clean hit based off of the rules at that time the NHL correctly realized that blind side hits to the head have no place in hockey. Tim Connoly is also a mike Richards headshot victim

Yes booth got another concussion later that season. It is common knowledge that once a person has a major concussion, it takes less of an impact for him to have another.

There is no other way around it, Mike Richards ruined David Booth's career. And its not like David Booth had the hit coming to him. He has never been a chippy player and never once been accused of taking a cheap shot on anybody.

How would you feel if 3 seasons ago while playing for the lightning Sean Bergenheim had done the same thing to Anze Kopitar. Wouldn't you feel a sense of justice if bergenheim was the one about to miss a week because of a concussion.

I don't get why leaf fans are upset, Richards has the label of a dirty player for a reason. There is a reason Philly traded their captain and leader. He destroyed the career of a struggling franchise's best player.

Again switch the name David booth with Anze Kopitar and tell me how you feel

Old
12-03-2011, 08:46 AM
ShootIt

Philly didn't trade Richards because of the Booth hit. Not even close.

Sucks what happened to Booth, but that was partially his fault for not paying attention in the game.

This thread wasn't about Booth, nor is Booth with the Panthers.

That was a solid hit, dumb move by Richards slashing Bergenheim like that. Luckily it didn't cost the Kings for LA fans.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:51 AM
dookie88

Quote:
That hit has been the number one example of why the rule was changed. While it may have been a clean hit based off of the rules at that time the NHL correctly realized that blind side hits to the head have no place in hockey. Tim Connoly is also a mike Richards headshot victim
The hit on Tim Connolly wasn't even close to a headshot.
It was a boarding call and it should've been one.
Nothing to see here.

Quote:
There is no other way around it, Mike Richards ruined David Booth's career. And its not like David Booth had the hit coming to him. He has never been a chippy player and never once been accused of taking a cheap shot on anybody.
There's always the risk of getting injured, Mike Richards certainly hasn't drawn up a plan to hurt David Booth.

Quote:
How would you feel if 3 seasons ago while playing for the lightning Sean Bergenheim had done the same thing to Anze Kopitar. Wouldn't you feel a sense of justice if bergenheim was the one about to miss a week because of a concussion.
There's no sense in justice if nothing illegal has happened earlier.
Mike Richards made a hockey play, David Booth got injured.

Quote:
I don't get why leaf fans are upset, Richards has the label of a dirty player for a reason. There is a reason Philly traded their captain and leader. He destroyed the career of a struggling franchise's best player.
Richards does not have the label of a dirty hockey player.
Mike Richards never got suspended, he plays the game hard, not dirty.

Mike Richards got traded for many reasons, the hit on David Booth wasn't one of them, if anything, Flyers management probably liked that play.

Quote:
David Booth never was and never will be a player like Anze Kopitar.
If you ever considered him to be a franchise player, that franchise is in trouble.

Better stop talking about things you don't know anything about.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Philly didn't trade Richards because of the Booth hit. Not even close.

Sucks what happened to Booth, but that was partially his fault for not paying attention in the game.

This thread wasn't about Booth, nor is Booth with the Panthers.

That was a solid hit, dumb move by Richards slashing Bergenheim like that. Luckily it didn't cost the Kings for LA fans.

Sounds good. Legit had nightmares of Quick shutting me down during my final exams the night after that game. See you in February.

Old
12-03-2011, 09:13 AM
jml87

Booth led the Panthers in goals the next season ('10-'11) with 23. How is that Richards ruining his career?

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
BigBrown
They did it!

The hit on Richards was, more or less, clean. We've seen Dustin Brown throw those kinds of checks occasionally for many years. The elbow or whatever afterwards wasn't a big deal, it got what it deserved, a minor penalty. It sucks that Richards is now injured but that's how it goes.

Panthers fans being happy about Richards' injury is hardly surprising. I'm sure many Kings fans would be calling it karma if Downie got clocked after those runs he took at Doughty last year.

Whatever, it's hockey. Hopefully Richards isn't hurt too badly and the rest of the team picks up the slack while he's gone.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:22 AM
nocturn

So Fla fans, learn me something...

With that Bergie hit on Richards last game, is Richards all even now or is he going to have "to pay for the Booth hit" every time he plays Fla?

Is/are your anger, spite, and calls for retribution open ended? I noticed a few posts in your gdt that wished career ending ill on Richards.

Basically, what I am getting at, in a nut shell is can you now shut the **** up about the Booth hit?

Thanks,

-Everyone else that isnt a Panther Fan

Ps. Bergenheim hit was fine. Big whoop.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
The hit on Tim Connolly wasn't even close to a headshot.
It was a boarding call and it should've been one.
Nothing to see here.

There's always the risk of getting injured, Mike Richards certainly hasn't drawn up a plan to hurt David Booth.

There's no sense in justice if nothing illegal has happened earlier.
Mike Richards made a hockey play, David Booth got injured.

Richards does not have the label of a dirty hockey player.
Mike Richards never got suspended, he plays the game hard, not dirty.

Mike Richards got traded for many reasons, the hit on David Booth wasn't one of them, if anything, Flyers management probably liked that play.

David Booth never was and never will be a player like Anze Kopitar.
If you ever considered him to be a franchise player, that franchise is in trouble.

Better stop talking about things you don't know anything about.
Really. The NHL has new rules in place directly because of that hit. Didnt realize it was hockey to go head hunting. NHL didnt suspend Richards then because they didnt have the rules in place at the time. If that hit had happened last night you wouldn't be seeing Richards play for the next 10 games.

Maybe you should stop talking about things you don't know about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
So Fla fans, learn me something...

With that Bergie hit on Richards last game, is Richards all even now or is he going to have "to pay for the Booth hit" every time he plays Fla?

Is/are your anger, spite, and calls for retribution open ended? I noticed a few posts in your gdt that wished career ending ill on Richards.

Basically, what I am getting at, in a nut shell is can you now shut the **** up about the Booth hit?

Thanks,

-Everyone else that isnt a Panther Fan

Ps. Bergenheim hit was fine. Big whoop.
In panther fans eyes richards should pay every time he steps on the ice against the panthers. That's how fans react to situations like this. While this an even more extreme case don't you think avalanche fans will forever hold a grudge against Todd bertuzzi?

I really don't see why some of you are so upset about this. I'm sure Kings fans have certain players around the NHL that they hate for something they have done to a player on your team. In fact a bunch of you think kopecky is a punk for his repeated pokes at Quick (as a goalie I was not a fan of this at all and loved quick getting in his face) if in February kopecky got hit with a good clean check wouldn't king's fans be happy?

Sorry the kings lost one of their top players for the next week or so. Nobody wants to see someone get hurt. Even Richards. But it happened and you won't see panther fans apologize for not shedding a tear that Richards is finding out how the other side feels

Last edited by Beezeral: 12-03-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old
12-03-2011, 10:51 AM
MsWoof

Quote:

Yes booth got another concussion later that season. It is common knowledge that once a person has a major concussion, it takes less of an impact for him to have another.

I don't care if that hit was the #1 reason for the rule change, (your words, it was actually his AND Cooke's) the fact is it WAS legal at the time, just as Stevens' constant hits on players were legal. Booth admired his pass and got blindsided and Richards was NOT suspended.

The comment about why Richards was traded is absolutely ridiculous. He made the hit a year or two before. Get your facts straight.

Furthermore, Connelly did NOT have a head injury due to the Richards hit, he had a separated sternum. Keep trying! And I can't help but laugh when you use Connelly as an example, the guy is made of glass and has already been injured twice this season with the Leafs.

As I said before, I had no issue on the hit that injured Richards the other night, it was a hockey play and nothing more. But if Richards had been admiring his pass a la Booth, I would say too bad for Mike, believe me, as a Flyer fan I saw what keeping your head down did for Lindros. The responsibility to be safe is on the player getting hit more than it is on the hitter. If you put yourself in a bad position over and over again, you're going to get hurt. If you're not aware of who's on the ice, you're not doing yourself any favours. If you admire your pass, keep your head down, change direction near the boards or haven't learned the right way to take a hit, you're asking for trouble.

Booth's second concussion. Looking down at the puck:

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

The fact is that they *did* have a rule in place to suspend MR if they thought it was a "dirty" hit. They *always* have had the same rule and it is a match penalty intent to injure.

The refs saw the hit and thought it was clean.

Players on the Panthers said it was clean.

The NHL saw the hit and said it was clean.

It is unfortunate that Booth was injured and I would also be put off at MR if I were a Panthers fan but there are facts that surround the hit that are getting flat out misstated here and that isn't fair or correct.

I am happy that Panther fans or any other teams fans post here and welcome them to do so but lets keep it civil and keep things as factual as possible.

No match penalty, no suspension equals clean hit with tragic results. The game may be different today but then there are tons of rules that have been changed in other areas of play as well. We could go back and look at every outcome that has taken place as a result of each of these rule changes and pin a star on something that has happened as a result.

Or we can just move on.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I don't care if that hit was the #1 reason for the rule change, (your words, it was actually his AND Cooke's) the fact is it WAS legal at the time, just as Stevens' constant hits on players were legal. Booth admired his pass and got blindsided and Richards was NOT suspended.

The comment about why Richards was traded is absolutely ridiculous. He made the hit a year or two before. Get your facts straight.

Furthermore, Connelly did NOT have a head injury due to the Richards hit, he had a separated sternum. Keep trying! And I can't help but laugh when you use Connelly as an example, the guy is made of glass and has already been injured twice this season with the Leafs.

As I said before, I had no issue on the hit that injured Richards the other night, it was a hockey play and nothing more. But if Richards had been admiring his pass a la Booth, I would say too bad for Mike, believe me, as a Flyer fan I saw what keeping your head down did for Lindros. The responsibility to be safe is on the player getting hit more than it is on the hitter. If you put yourself in a bad position over and over again, you're going to get hurt. If you're not aware of who's on the ice, you're not doing yourself any favours. If you admire your pass, keep your head down, change direction near the boards or haven't learned the right way to take a hit, you're asking for trouble.

Booth's second concussion. Looking down at the puck:

Since we are getting facts straight, admiring your pass means you should get blindsided in the head? We are all taught to lay out the guy with his head down. We aren't taught to aim for his head. Richards aimed for Booth's head on the play. He could still have made a highlight reel hit without aiming for the head.

As a lindros fan you should know that one concussion makes another much more likely to happen. The spacek hit most likely does not result In a concussion without the initial concussion caused by Richards. You can also clearly see spacek aim for booth's chest. Not his head.

And you are absolutely wrong by saying it is more booths fault for keeping his head down. There is a reason most youth leagues require a small stop sign to be on the back of jerseys to teach kids just learning to check that checking from behind is dangerous. Richards knew that a 50 foot lead in and aiming directly for the side of his head could easily result in a serious injury. He could have easily kept his shoulder down and drove straight through booths shoulder and that hit would be played every time someone talks about a huge hit. Now he's an example of why the NHL had to change the rule book

Also for the post above me. Richards did receive a match penalty for the check on booth.

Last edited by Beezeral: 12-03-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old
12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Really. The NHL has new rules in place directly because of that hit. Didnt realize it was hockey to go head hunting. NHL didnt suspend Richards then because they didnt have the rules in place at the time. If that hit had happened last night you wouldn't be seeing Richards play for the next 10 games.

Maybe you should stop talking about things you don't know about.
You also have to factor in the Savard-hit by Matt Cooke, please stop making your arguments look better than they are by not-mentioning important things.

Richards probably wouldn't have thrown that check then.
In fact, he wasn't as physical as before after this incident.

Quote:
And you are absolutely wrong by saying it is more booths fault for keeping his head down. There is a reason most youth leagues require a small stop sign to be on the back of jerseys to teach kids just learning to check that checking from behind is dangerous. Richards knew that a 50 foot lead in and aiming directly for the side of his head could easily result in a serious injury. He could have easily kept his shoulder down and drove straight through booths shoulder and that hit would be played every time someone talks about a huge hit. Now he's an example of why the NHL had to change the rule book

Also for the post above me. Richards did receive a match penalty for the check on booth.
Apples and oranges.
Junior players don't get payed to play this sport.
Booth knew he could get hurt cutting through the middle with his head down, he choose to do so, he payed a price.

I'd still like you to explain us how Richards got traded because of this hit, enlighten us.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote