General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Augusta National finally starts admitting female members

Old
08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Taro Tsujimoto

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Augusta National finally starts admitting female members

Condoleezza Rice and Darla Moore are the first two: http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8...female-members

Well overdue for sure, but it's certainly great to finally see it happen.

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:22 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
When they start letting women in regularly, it'll be progress.

Until then, it's just a PR stunt to show that they're not really as far behind the times as they really are.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:32 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
When they start letting women in regularly, it'll be progress.

Until then, it's just a PR stunt to show that they're not really as far behind the times as they really are.
"A journey of a thousand miles is started with a single step"

Still reason for optimism

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:56 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
"A journey of a thousand miles is started with a single step"

Still reason for optimism
Very true, but I'm not going to congratulate some dude for walking from Chicago to Boston when he just stepped out the front door.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:13 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Very true, but I'm not going to congratulate some dude for walking from Chicago to Boston when he just stepped out the front door.
No, but it's good to see they are starting to go in the right direction.

If the male only policy was important enough to them, they wouldn't bypass it for a pr stunt

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:59 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

vCash: 500
Not sure why Augusta needs to allow women in. I don't believe they should hold women out but that should be the decision of the owner/members that are in charge. Doubt women would like it if I were to come into the closed off womens section of the gym I am a member of.

It's nice that they are allowing more people in, but they shouldn't feel pressured into doing so.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Not sure why Augusta needs to allow women in. I don't believe they should hold women out but that should be the decision of the owner/members that are in charge. Doubt women would like it if I were to come into the closed off womens section of the gym I am a member of.

It's nice that they are allowing more people in, but they shouldn't feel pressured into doing so.
It is entirely their right to decide their own membership as a private organization, but I completely disagree with you in regards to the last sentence. They're a premier golf course, the site of a major event during the PGA tour, and have business partnerships worth unknown millions of dollars for broadcasting and sponsorship rights. They want to remain a big dog in the world of golf, then they have to accept the fact that their antiquated men's only policy of membership is going to attract a lot of negative attention (especially given the growth in popularity in playing and watching golf amongst women) and they should absolutely be subjected to public pressure for that discriminatory policy, just as they likewise faced such pressure when they were a white's only club and were essentially forced to finally let deserving black members in a few decades ago when the public outcry became too loud for them to ignore.

Old
08-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
It is entirely their right to decide their own membership as a private organization, but I completely disagree with you in regards to the last sentence. They're a premier golf course, the site of a major event during the PGA tour, and have business partnerships worth unknown millions of dollars for broadcasting and sponsorship rights. They want to remain a big dog in the world of golf, then they have to accept the fact that their antiquated men's only policy of membership is going to attract a lot of negative attention (especially given the growth in popularity in playing and watching golf amongst women) and they should absolutely be subjected to public pressure for that discriminatory policy, just as they likewise faced such pressure when they were a white's only club and were essentially forced to finally let deserving black members in a few decades ago when the public outcry became too loud for them to ignore.
After all the noise and teeth-gnashing that women made regarding Augusta's old policies, I would not hold my breath on the resultant flood of women that will pour on to the front gates of Augusta to become patrons.

Apaharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
They're a premier golf course, the site of a major event during the PGA tour, and have business partnerships worth unknown millions of dollars for broadcasting and sponsorship rights. They want to remain a big dog in the world of golf..
I'm not entirely sure if you're aware of what Augusta is.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:40 PM
thrillhouse99

More for show than anything. Augusta has a history of letting women's college teams from the region play the course, so it's not like they are opposed to women's golf. Plus there are only two sets of tees at Augusta, the tournament tees of 7400 yards or so and the members tees of 6400 yards. While 6400 yards is fine for female college players and LPGA players its a bit much for these two new members of theirs so they might not even be able to play the course, and while they should add tees to accommodate them being that this is Augusta national they might not.

And to some of the other comments. The masters is not a PGA tour event, it is an independently run event that is an official money event for the PGA tour. Also, the PGA tour has a policy of not allowing clubs with a "gentlemen only" policy hold PGA tour events. That's why cypress point is not part of what is now the AT&T (not like cypress would want them back anyway) and why butler national no longer hosts the western open. That's why the masters has been allowed to operate at Augusta in recent years despite their previous membership situation.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I'm not entirely sure if you're aware of what Augusta is.
I know it's a private country club, but it doesn't change the facts of anything I just said.

Old
08-25-2012, 07:37 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...alth-club.html

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
That writer should check his cisgendered male privilege.

Apaharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:19 PM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
I know it's a private country club, but it doesn't change the facts of anything I just said.
I think his point is that it is more than a private country club, which is true, it is.

The entity that is Augusta National sort of has a life of its own and due to its history and membership it holds a lot of sway in areas that go beyond golf.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:45 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree with you. It's not really about whether a private golf club should be forced to admit female members - it's about whether the PGA, etc. should be giving prominence to a private club that refuses to admit female members.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
If it were just that, or just anything you said, nobody would give a **** about whether or not they allowed female members or not. It isn't a golf or country club, it is THE golf and country club.

It is a club that is about exclusivity, what they did with this move was gain loads of positive press without changing the high standards of membership.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:56 PM
ChiGuySez
2013 SC Champions

Make them play from the regular tees.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote